PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Missing Old School Traditional Metal In Their Life?

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
... Then seek no more, for I am about to blow your mind. I was recently turned onto a new band from California called White Wizzard, whose debut album, "Over the Top", is probably one of the most kickass "old school" metal albums I've heard in a long time. The style of this band can best be described as the instrumental stylings of classic Maiden (mainly Piece of Mind/Powerslave) mixed with the intensity and vocal stylings of late 80's Riot (Thundersteel era). I find it hard to imagine that anyone that loves 80s traditional heavy metal could not love this band. The production is good and the band sounds somewhat fresh and modern while still having that 100% classic metal sound.

Here's the opening and title track to the disc, if you like this, do yourself a favor and pick this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmR8zYMrOJE

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah, this isn't bad. It sounds too crisp to be proper old school, that's my one complaint. I'll probably have to check this album out.

Fe Maiden
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
... Then seek no more, for I am about to blow your mind. I was recently turned onto a new band from California called White Wizzard, whose debut album, "Over the Top", is probably one of the most kickass "old school" metal albums I've heard in a long time. The style of this band can best be described as the instrumental stylings of classic Maiden (mainly Piece of Mind/Powerslave) mixed with the intensity and vocal stylings of late 80's Riot (Thundersteel era). I find it hard to imagine that anyone that loves 80s traditional heavy metal could not love this band. The production is good and the band sounds somewhat fresh and modern while still having that 100% classic metal sound.

Here's the opening and title track to the disc, if you like this, do yourself a favor and pick this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmR8zYMrOJESounds cool! My type of stuff!:horns:

ravenheart
02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Already aware of them. Not impressed just because they're basically a rip-off of countless other stuff. I want to hear something new.

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Already aware of them. Not impressed just because they're basically a rip-off of countless other stuff. I want to hear something new.

...aaaaaand Ravenheart with the rebuttal.

I realize it's not the most original thing on the planet, but I seriously think metal is missing any good old school-style metal bands that play well, write catchy songs, and really seem to have fun. Also, the style is derivative, but I haven't caught any riffs or melodies obviously taken from or overly similar to other stuff, so I'm not upset.

ravenheart
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I agree. But there's no reason why bands can't write original music that ticks those boxes, instead of riding along on the current wave of retro revival everyone seems to so keen on in music.

Wolf are already doing precisely this, and doing it better, heavier, and fresher.

Enforcer are getting a lot of e-blowjobs at the moment too. They're kinda fun live, but weak as fuck on record for me.

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm just mad that the "retro metal" bands that are getting the blowjobs are the ones who polish the shit out of it. Give me The Gates of Slumber and Slough Feg a thousand times before another White Wizzard.

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm just mad that the "retro metal" bands that are getting the blowjobs are the ones who polish the shit out of it. Give me The Gates of Slumber and Slough Feg a thousand times before another White Wizzard.

I can't stand music elitists that think raw production = good thing. I agree that sometimes overly glossy production doesn't fit the music, but keep in mind, like most other Maiden fans, you love Martin Birch's production on classic Maiden records, which for that time was about the glossiest, most polished thing around. By today's standards it practically still sounds that way. Criticizing modern traditional metal bands for fancy, polished production doesn't make sense.

Also, I'm not aware of any of the other "bands getting blow jobs". To my knowledge none of them are really blowing up or anything.

mankvill
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dCFX6oyOg :3?

JRA
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Says the guy who doesn't like Motorhead.

Fe Maiden
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
the current wave of retro revival everyone seems to so keen on in music.
Maybe this is because it is good! Not to offend anyone (if they like them) but the growling vocals are just not as good as the retro type of metal! Growls have been done to death (no pun intended) JMO but I'm sticking to it:eyes:

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I can't stand music elitists that think raw production = good thing. I agree that sometimes overly glossy production doesn't fit the music, but keep in mind, like most other Maiden fans, you love Martin Birch's production on classic Maiden records, which for that time was about the glossiest, most polished thing around. By today's standards it practically still sounds that way. Criticizing modern traditional metal bands for fancy, polished production doesn't make sense.

Also, I'm not aware of any of the other "bands getting blow jobs". To my knowledge none of them are really blowing up or anything.

80s style production fit 80s style music. It was great for the time period but it doesn't have the bells and whistles of today. Don't get me wrong, the bells and whistles are great for stuff like prog metal and melodic death metal, but for classic metal, meh.

Says the guy who doesn't like Motorhead.

Because the production is the only thing that makes a band good, yep.

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
80s style production fit 80s style music. It was great for the time period but it doesn't have the bells and whistles of today. Don't get me wrong, the bells and whistles are great for stuff like prog metal and melodic death metal, but for classic metal, meh.

But you ignore my point - Maiden albums don't really have "80s production". If you listen to almost ANY other band who released an album the same year Maiden released anything from Killers through Seventh Son, the Maiden production is infinitely superior and still stands up as great production against today's standards.

I just fail to see the point in purposely making production worse. To me, as a musician, I want to get the best instrument sounds and tons I can, and get the crispest, clearest, most dynamic production possible. I don't understand "retro" production. Hell, whenever I listen to music from the 70s, the primary thought often running through my mind is: "Wow, imagine how much better this would be if it was done today with better production".

ADD
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Don't care for this band, though I dug the lead singer's other band Overgain Optimal Death when they played the Hawkwind tribute show in LA here last spring, did ripper covers of "Death Trap" and "Hassan-i Sabbah".

Slough Feg, Valkyrie and Bible of the Devil. Seek it.
/thread

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
But you ignore my point - Maiden albums don't really have "80s production". If you listen to almost ANY other band who released an album the same year Maiden released anything from Killers through Seventh Son, the Maiden production is infinitely superior and still stands up as great production against today's standards.

I just fail to see the point in purposely making production worse. To me, as a musician, I want to get the best instrument sounds and tons I can, and get the crispest, clearest, most dynamic production possible. I don't understand "retro" production. Hell, whenever I listen to music from the 70s, the primary thought often running through my mind is: "Wow, imagine how much better this would be if it was done today with better production".

It doesn't sound OVERproduced either, though. Not to say that White Wizzard are necessarily a prime offender, they certainly aren't.

And I think this is just a fundamental disagreement that no one's gonna win, and it ultimately comes down to taste. "Crispest" for me isn't necessarily "best".

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
For the record I've heard Slough Feg, and I don't understand why you guys are drawing an automatic parallel. To me they are much more a revival of Thin lizzy/classic NWOBHM sound than a later 80s uptempo US-power metal sound, which is what White Wizzard are doing. And I do agree that for that more late 70s-derived style, a rawer production is more appropriate. My point is that it's two very different styles, don't lump them together just because "Oh they're both old school revival bands".

ADD
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
For the record I've heard Slough Feg, and I don't understand why you guys are drawing an automatic parallel. To me they are much more a revival of Thin lizzy/classic NWOBHM sound than a later 80s uptempo US-power metal sound, which is what White Wizzard are doing. And I do agree that for that more late 70s-derived style, a rawer production is more appropriate. My point is that it's two very different styles, don't lump them together just because "Oh they're both old school revival bands".
Good distinction is made here. Most of us don't feel the need to hear Jag Panzer and Agent Steel reinterpretations though (maybe White Wizzard are more of the Exciter/Accept vintage), those albums sound dated enough even the undeniably killer tapes like Ample Destruction and Unstoppable Force. Lots of early 70's/late 60's stuff sounds heavier today than those albums.

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm with you. My original point was that I wish more of the revival style bands DID play in the Slough Feg style, but I wasn't equating the two bands. There's really nothing wrong with White Wizzard, I just don't dig them all that much.

ADD
02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Maiden33 have you heard Enforcer from Sweden? Also in the similar vein, but I think with better songs and more early Maiden influence.

Maiden33
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Maiden33 have you heard Enforcer from Sweden? Also in the similar vein, but I think with better songs and more early Maiden influence.

I have not. I've heard a lot about them though, never actually heard them though. Maybe I should go listen to something.

JRA
02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Because the production is the only thing that makes a band good, yep.

You were the one whining about polished production.

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
You were the one whining about polished production.

You're still failing to make a point. Let's say I like Motorhead's production. Shouldn't they still have to write good songs?

JRA
02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
You're still failing to make a point. Let's say I like Motorhead's production. Shouldn't they still have to write good songs?

Your argument is the equivalent of me saying "shouldn't Whitesnake have to write good songs?"

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Your argument is the equivalent of me saying "shouldn't Whitesnake have to write good songs?"

I don't follow. Please tell me your argument explicitly, because I don't know what I'm arguing against.

JRA
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't follow. Please tell me your argument explicitly, because I don't know what I'm arguing against.

When it comes to straight rock bands (which is how I refer to "old school metal"), any halfwit moron can say 'they don't write good songs' because of some stupid misconception of image or what they think a good song is supposed to be. I'm sure plenty of people can back me up when I say Motorhead have plenty of good riffs, verses, choruses and, very unlike most old school metal bands, lyrics.

DethMaiden
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
When it comes to straight rock bands (which is how I refer to "old school metal"), any halfwit moron can say 'they don't write good songs' because of some stupid misconception of image or what they think a good song is supposed to be. I'm sure plenty of people can back me up when I say Motorhead have plenty of good riffs, verses, choruses and, very unlike most old school metal bands, lyrics.

Okay, and I think they suck. Not because of a preconceived notion of what a good song is, but because I derive no pleasure from listening to them.

Dextrimental
02-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Personally, I find the problem with todays production is that you can actually varnish every little note and utterance in a song with the use of a computer, without actually being able to replicate it live, Dragonforce being a prime offender. I think that over production occurs when the band cant replicate the sound live, obviously within a margin, singer's voice wearing down on tour and what not.

In Maidens era, and indeed Motorheads, you pretty much had to record the songs live, the band had to play them all together, then leads and vocal tracks would be added. Many of these bands still practise this, and they are better for it, their live show is better, and any Maiden or Motorhead fan, or both in my case, will tell you that their records have always had a certain warmness to them in the recording, and its always been good to know that it will sound almost the same live. Nowadays, bands can layer everything a million times, do everything over and over again for the best take too, and some of the newer bands could really do with playing the songs live instead. Just my 2 cents.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I like Motorhead.

Establishing that, 95% of their stuff sounds exactly the same. Same chord progression, same voice, same solos.

SomewhereInTime72
02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Listening to a few songs, and I think this band is pretty rockin' albeit not the most original thing I've heard. Nice riffage.