PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics

powerslave_85
02-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm usually not interested in the Olympics, but for one reason or another (lack of anything better to do?) I've been glued to the TV every night. We absolutely kicked ass last night: 6 medals (3 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze), which is a new record. Shaun White was out of his mind, and showed everyone else that they shouldn't have even bothered showing up. Lindsey Vonn crushed everyone even with an injury, and Julia Mancuso picked up a second silver in Women's Alpine today, and tonight we're probably gonna get a gold in Women's Snowboard halfpipe, and possibly one in men's figure skating. Our men's hockey is doing well, but the big test will be the game against Canada on Sunday. I think the Russians are going to take the gold in that, though. This is the only thing that makes me unapologetically patriotic, haha.

:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

ChildrenofSodom
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Sports are the greatest, least disgusting form of nationalism one can experience (excluding all those fights those hooligans get in over soccer.)

USA! USA!

powerslave_85
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Totally agreed. It's all good, clean fun and nobody gets bombed or invaded. U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!

ChildrenofSodom
02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
In all fairness, we compete in almost every single event and have 300 million people in our country......Slovenia doesn't really have the odds stacked in their favor.

Div
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
you win some, you luge some

DethMaiden
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I can't care about the Winter Games. All the sports except hockey are stupid, and Canada has all my favorite players.

But in the Summer Olympics YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M THE MOST AMERICAN MUTHAFUCKA AROUND :rocker: :usa:

mankvill
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Shaun White was fucking insane last night. Holy balls.

Sad to hear about that luge death. He really flew off the handle because his life was going downhill. RIP

I've never been more nervous in my life than watching Curling today. Holy shit.

edit: also why didn't anyone tell me there's a sport where you ski and then shoot targets?

powerslave_85
02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I can't care about the Winter Games. All the sports except hockey are stupid, and Canada has all my favorite players.Russia has most of mine, but I'm 100% USA, goddamnit. If we get knocked out, I just want Ovechkin to get a gold instead of Crosby :D

I've never been more nervous in my life than watching Curling today. Holy shit. I heard Shuster choked BIG TIME. People were editing his Wikipedia page posting things like "Shuster's father is currently disappoint" and "he now works as a quality assurance inspector for Toyota" :lol:

DethMaiden
02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Russia has most of mine, but I'm 100% USA, goddamnit. If we get knocked out, I just want Ovechkin to get a gold instead of Crosby :D

Well, naturally I still want the U.S. to win the gold. :usa: :D

But if we don't, I'm rooting for Canada. I need Rick Nash to bring a medal back to Columbus. :hmm:

DethMaiden
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, shock value humor is completely unfunny to me. Maybe it's because I'm a journalism major and we talk about ethics in every class, but I'm not sure that luge death should have been shown, and it certainly shouldn't have been made into a .gif about the greatest national tragedy we've ever known. I'm not going to say I'm "offended" because what is that, really, but that's completely tasteless and miles away from being funny.

powerslave_85
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Damn, Canada squeaked by Switzerland. Martin Brodeur is so ridiculous.

Maiden33
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I heard Shuster choked BIG TIME. People were editing his Wikipedia page posting things like "Shuster's father is currently disappoint" and "he now works as a quality assurance inspector for Toyota" :lol:

Haha, yeah. For some reason unknown to me, I enjoy watching Curling. It's the dullest thing in the world, but I still like it. And yeah, Shuster has choked like 4 times at making the same exact (relatively simple) shot. And 3 of them were game-winners (or losers, in this case).

Hockey-wise I'm enjoying not having a huge emotional stake in some of the games. In fact I'm actually at odds because Canada has players from "my" team as well as a guy or two I can't stand - mainly Crosby. The fact that people put him on the same level as Ovechkin is laughable to me. I hope the gold medal game is Russia vs. Canada so the two of them can go head to head, in which case I hope Ovechkin dominates.

Oh, and for anyone watching the hockey coverage - the rising tension between Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milbury is getting funny. Seemingly every time they discuss something, there's a subtle rage building between them. Kind of amusing because Roenick is arguably my favorite player of all-time (well, of MY time, to be fair), and Mike Milbury is kind of an annoying blow hard with a RAGING erection for Crosby.

powerslave_85
02-19-2010, 12:03 AM
That Russia-Slovakia game was fucking CRAZY. Glad to see the Slovaks pull it out. Sunday is going to be off the chain: USA vs. Canada and Russia vs. Czech Republic. I'm so stoked.

And damnit, Jeff, how did I not know you were a hockey fan? I'm glad we have SOMETHING in common :lol: Who is your team?

BTW, mods please get that tasteless bullshit out of here.

PS- Fuck Crosby.

Derelict
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
One of the Finnish snowboarders did his halfpipe routine to Megadeth the other night, pretty intense

es156
02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
That Russia-Slovakia game was fucking CRAZY. Glad to see the Slovaks pull it out. Sunday is going to be off the chain: USA vs. Canada and Russia vs. Czech Republic. I'm so stoked.

It is awesome that Slovakia beat Russia. I wish I could have seen that. I can't wait for the games tomorrow. They should both be great games.

powerslave_85
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky83rzxggc1qzkqjoo1_500.jpg

USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! SUCK IT, CANADA!

Derelict
02-22-2010, 06:02 AM
The announcers actually mentioned Hammerfall during a swedish curling match last night. I chuckled

Maiden33
02-22-2010, 09:44 AM
The announcers actually mentioned Hammerfall during a swedish curling match last night. I chuckled

Haha yeah, I saw that.

ChildrenofSodom
02-22-2010, 09:50 AM
O America! Our home and native land!

Fe Maiden
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Ice Curling has gotten my attention. A few of the women on the women's teams have been damn cute too!

Maiden33
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Ice Curling has gotten my attention. A few of the women on the women's teams have been damn cute too!

Word.

idrinkwine732
02-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I said it in 06 and I'll say it again, curling is the best sport in the winter olympics.

ChildrenofSodom
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
SUCK IT, SWITZERLAND! USA! USA!

powerslave_85
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—In a sport Canada invented, nothing less than gold would do. And when the women’s hockey team had it in hand, the joy and champagne overflowed.

The players stormed back onto the ice half an hour after beating the United States 2-0 on Thursday and staged a raucous celebration—smoking cigars and swigging beer and bubbly.

Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks. Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed with goofy grins.

Goalies Charline Labonte and Kim St-Pierre posed at center ice for Poulin, lying on their stomachs with a giant bottle of champagne resting just above the Olympic rings.

Rebecca Johnston actually tried to commandeer the ice-resurfacing machine.

Women after my own heart.

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Just watched Canada take a 3-0 lead in their hockey quarter final after two periods. It's not gone 4am, so I'm going to bed. Looked like they had it pretty sewn up.

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Their track for the hockey team was pretty awesome though. I got a sneak listen of that way back in '05 or whenever it was. Joacim Cans played it to me on his phone just after they're finished recording it.

powerslave_85
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Just watched Canada take a 3-0 lead in their hockey quarter final after two periods. It's not gone 4am, so I'm going to bed. Looked like they had it pretty sewn up.
They damn near blew it.

ravenheart
02-27-2010, 07:14 AM
They damn near blew it.

So I've seen! Oh well, all told it's the correct final match up.

es156
02-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Man, I can't wait for the gold medal game. It should be outstanding.

:usa:

es156
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
They damn near blew it.

I still don't know how Demitra missed that empty net at the end. Did one of the defensemen get a stick on that shot?

ravenheart
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Not a spectacular game so far, but entertaining nonetheless. Crosby has been very disappointing.

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Crosby has been very disappointing.

Good.

I'm actually rooting for Canada, but Crosby is really overrated. I'm glad he's not done anything, because the last thing he needs is to score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal Game. God, the blow jobs will never, ever stop.

Kinda glad this went to overtime though. It makes it that much more exciting.

DethMaiden
02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Good.

I'm actually rooting for Canada, but Crosby is really overrated. I'm glad he's not done anything, because the last thing he needs is to score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal Game. God, the blow jobs will never, ever stop.

Kinda glad this went to overtime though. It makes it that much more exciting.

:wtf:

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:34 PM
:wtf:

I just don't see the Olympics the way everyone else does - an obligation to root for your own country. I mean in most other things, sure - why not, I like where I'm from. I was really pulling for the US in the few other things I actually watched (unfortunately our Curling teams kinda suck). But I actually really love Hockey, it's a game I know the ins and outs of, and I just feel that Canada has the better team, with more players I like, and should win this - it's their sport. I think they deserve to win this.

DethMaiden
02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I just don't see the Olympics the way everyone else does - an obligation to root for your own country. I mean in most other things, sure - why not, I like where I'm from. I was really pulling for the US in the few other things I actually watched (unfortunately our Curling teams kinda suck). But I actually really love Hockey, it's a game I know the ins and outs of, and I just feel that Canada has the better team, with more players I like, and should win this - it's their sport. I think they deserve to win this.

Eh, I feel like the Olympics are the one time you can throw any criticisms you have about your country out the window and throw your 100% support behind your nation because there's no bigger repercussions to their actions. The rest of the world roots for their home country because it's something to take pride in. Team USA deserves our support in a way that's not so different from the way the troops deserve our support, in my opinion.

And my favorite player (Rick Nash) plays for Canada, so it's not like I'm not completely conflicted.

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Eh, I feel like the Olympics are the one time you can throw any criticisms you have about your country out the window and throw your 100% support behind your nation because there's no bigger repercussions to their actions. The rest of the world roots for their home country because it's something to take pride in. Team USA deserves our support in a way that's not so different from the way the troops deserve our support, in my opinion.

And my favorite player (Rick Nash) plays for Canada, so it's not like I'm not completely conflicted.

I just fail to see the point. I really don't give a fuck if my country is better at Cross Country Skiing than Norway, or better at Ice Dancing than Russia. Really, I could care less - but I still do enjoy seeing the US winning medals.

But as I said, here my principles and fanship of the actual event/sport override any sense of blind nationalism I have.

mankvill
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
After today, 90% of America will not watch a single hockey game until the next winter olympics.

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
After today, 90% of America will not watch a single hockey game until the next winter olympics.

God, I can't wait to get back into the NHL season tomorrow. The Flyers were actually getting a lot better and building strength and momentum before the break - hopefully that continues, the playoffs are less than 6 weeks away.

DethMaiden
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
God, I can't wait to get back into the NHL season tomorrow. The Flyers were actually getting a lot better and building strength and momentum before the break - hopefully that continues, the playoffs are less than 6 weeks away.

Blue Jackets are pretty much out. :snivel:

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Blue Jackets are pretty much out. :snivel:

Welcome to every season except the previous one. :D

It should be noted that I tend to enjoy being an asshole. Nine times out of ten I go for the dissenting opinion. The majority of the time it's not a conscious decision, I just tend to wind up on the less-favored side of the coin.

DethMaiden
02-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Welcome to every season except the previous one. :D

:finger: Yeah yeah yeah. One of these seasons...

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, justice is served. That's what I get for rooting for Canada, my least favorite player scores the game-winning goal.

powerslave_85
02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
FUCKING CROSBY. FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUF UCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU

mankvill
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
thank christ

bring on the world cup

es156
02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Man, I was watching Iginla and Crosby cycle and I was thinking "if Canada has to win it, please don't let it be Crosby."

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ChildrenofSodom
02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Whatever. The rest of the world can keep ice hockey and soccer. I'll stick with basketball, baseball, and football. USA! USA!

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Man, I was watching Iginla and Crosby cycle and I was thinking "if Canada has to win it, please don't let it be Crosby."

:hecho: :hecho: :hecho:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Same exact thoughts. Actually, as a Flyers fan I was secretly hoping it could've been Mike Richards, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. ANYBODY but Crosby would've been fine with me.

Maiden33
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Whatever. The rest of the world can keep ice hockey and soccer. I'll stick with basketball, baseball, and football. USA! USA!

:tp:

ravenheart
02-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Haha. There is indeed a lot to be said about being the World leaders in sports only you play ;)

Altius
02-24-2011, 01:10 AM
hi check out information about Canada Games 2011, schedule, winter game events, venues, sports, participating cities, medal tally and more here..

Canada Games 2011 (http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/canada-games.php)