PDA

View Full Version : Avenged Sevenfold has a new drummer....Mike Portnoy!

MPF
02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
A7X ENTERS STUDIO WITH MIKE PORTNOY Wed, 02/17/2010 - 23:57

I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question thatís what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.
-Avenged Sevenfold

DethMaiden
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
:lol: :lol: I can't believe this is real.

idrinkwine732
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

I thought I was being trolled for a second.

MPF
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Trust me I don't troll. There's enough Deathcore/Emo dumbasses on the internet to do that.

The_jman
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
A7X ENTERS STUDIO WITH MIKE PORTNOY Wed, 02/17/2010 - 23:57

I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question thatís what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.
-Avenged Sevenfold
well they're recording with him, something tells me Dream Theater's drumber would leave DT for A7X as awsome as Avenged is.

AnataFan4Life
02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
The guys in A7X won't be able to wrap their heads around Mike's time signatures

idrinkwine732
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Trust me I don't troll. There's enough Deathcore/Emo dumbasses on the internet to do that.

Don't worry, I know, I googled it to make sure.

MPF
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
No worries man.

I gotta admit I am very intrigued by this announcement. Mike Portnoy is my favorite drummer of all time, and A7X, well they are a good band at what they do, can't say I'm the biggest fan of them, but I'll definitely be checking this out.

ADD
02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Makes sense to me, both bands play their own variation of squeaky clean mehtal.

DethMaiden
02-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Alright, I know you like Orange amps and flannel shirts and lousy production. I do too. But equating Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold might just be one toke over the line.

xStructualDefect
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
i'm pretty stoked for this. Waking The Fallen and City of Evil were great. their latest s/t not so much. hopefully this cd turns out great.

IrritatedTrout
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah, that.:confused:

MPF
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM

By that logic, Rose Funeral and Morbid Angel are in the same league of Death Metal of each other. Or Theory Of A Deadman and King's X write the same rock songs. :eyes:

ADD
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Alright, I know you like Orange amps and flannel shirts and lousy production. I do too. But equating Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold might just be one toke over the line.
:bouville: :D

DethMaiden
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

'Sall right bro, I'll keep you in line. It's what I'm here for. :cool:

ADD
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
By that logic, Rose Funeral and Morbid Angel are in the same league of Death Metal of each other. Or Theory Of A Deadman and King's X write the same rock songs. :eyes:
In those comparisons the production values of the bands being compared are dissimilar enough not to warrant comparison, however Avenged Sevenfold and Dream Theater's CD's are of comparable production value, meaning they sound all glossy and compressed and sans dynamics. Obviously the music itself is rather dissimilar.

MPF
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
In those comparisons the production values of the bands being compared are dissimilar enough not to warrant comparison, however Avenged Sevenfold and Dream Theater's CD's are of comparable production value, meaning they sound all glossy and compressed and sans dynamics. Obviously the music itself is rather dissimilar.

Sorry, I thought you meant Squeaky Clean as in their persona. That actually makes a lot more sense now. Sorry about that.

I'll say it too, I love Orange Amps.

TonyD
02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
lawl

The_jman
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I think its pretty cool he agreed to do this for them, in his memory.

Maiden33
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Or Theory Of A Deadman and King's X write the same rock songs. :eyes:

Oh. My. God. Can't. Even. Fathom. This. Thought.

Seriously, my brain almost exploded. I looove King's X but absolutely despise Theory of a Deadman and all those sort of bands.

JRA
02-17-2010, 06:30 PM

In all seriousness, answer me something. How do you not like Dream Theater but like The Sound of Perseverance? Chuck's vocals aside, it's the same sound.

Maiden33
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
In all seriousness, answer me something. How do you not like Dream Theater but like The Sound of Perseverance? Chuck's vocals aside, it's the same sound.

I think it's a funny thought to think that Dream Theater has one sound. Seriously, they've dramatically overhauled their sound every couple of albums (if not every other) throughout a lot of their career.

JRA
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I think it's a funny thought to think that Dream Theater has one sound. Seriously, they've dramatically overhauled their sound every couple of albums (if not every other) throughout a lot of their career.

My point is, most to the untrained ear Dream Theater sounds like "too much tech, not enough soul." Too which I add that to the untrained ear, TSOP sounds the same way. And I'm asking someone what someone sees in that album that they don't see in Dream Theater

DethMaiden
02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
My point is, most to the untrained ear Dream Theater sounds like "too much tech, not enough soul." Too which I add that to the untrained ear, TSOP sounds the same way. And I'm asking someone what someone sees in that album that they don't see in Dream Theater

In fairness, "Voice of the Soul" is the most soulful instrumental I've heard by an extreme metal band. But I kind of see your point. And I am curious to hear Addi's response, because I'm sure it won't be logical. :tongue: ;)

SomewhereInTime72
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
It's obviously because chuck's voice is br00ts while james' is lame. also no rudess continuum wank. :D

JRA
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
But I kind of see your point. And I am curious to hear Addi's response, because I'm sure it won't be logical. :tongue: ;)

Yea, he'll probably use more of that sarcasm that's cheerier than a just-penetrated Richard Simmons.

ADD
02-17-2010, 07:38 PM

I don't think they sound alike at all except for the production style, which is far out shined by Chuck's outstanding songwriting, riffs, melodies, solos, vocals and lyrics, not to mention Richard Christy is on fire on that record.

JRA
02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey, I got a logical answer! Must have been that image of a just-penetrated Richard Simmons (which, although being pretty goddamn gay, is not nearly as gay as Mike Portnoy joining Avenged Scrotumfold)

MPF
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh. My. God. Can't. Even. Fathom. This. Thought.

Seriously, my brain almost exploded. I looove King's X but absolutely despise Theory of a Deadman and all those sort of bands.

Same here man. I met King's X last year. The 3 coolest dudes I ever met. I also got Dug's Bass pick which he personally handed to me after Dogman. really cool shit!

Theory Of A Deadman on the other hand need too stop. The are the dark haired version of Nickelback. Which needs to be killed off.

I just compared the two because I picked the best and the worst in the Rock genre.

The_jman
02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey, I got a logical answer! Must have been that image of a just-penetrated Richard Simmons (which, although being pretty goddamn gay, is not nearly as gay as Mike Portnoy joining Avenged Scrotumfold)
does it really count as joining them, if he's just recording the album with them?

Slayer of the Gods
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Interesting, so terrible band gets amazing drummer? I might have to start listening to them just because of their drummer :D