PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about this awkward Black Flag interview

JRA
02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2Z-QmRqrg

Lesson #1: Scene kids were around long before Slipknot existed.

Lesson #2: Overkill were on SST.

mankvill
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Love this video so hard.

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Goddamnit I love Henry Rollins so much.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cJtmU-mgIy8/ScfViYf6s5I/AAAAAAAAA_Q/K1zvTI0uayQ/s320/WWHRD%3F.jpg

ADD
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow.....never seen that before. Excellent.

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
"Look man, I'm on your side..."
"I don't want you on my side."

SNAP.

ADD
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Lesson #2: Overkill were on SST.

Overkill LA on SST > Overkill NJ

JRA
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a second. As much as I want to be on Black Flag's side on this, the truth is, punk rock bands were the ones running around in the beginning yelling "We are not going to be like regular rock stars, we want to be harder, meaner, faster, blah blah blah." So by saying that and writing breakneck songs under a minute, all they did was paint themselves into a corner, and when they started expanding their song lengths and adding guitar solos, the "scene kids" were fully justified in backlashing at them. Not because it was a change in direction, but because the direction in question was the exact same thing they held their dicks and lauded against. The kid thought they were selling out because the direction they were going in was the direction hardcore claimed to spit at.

The exact same thing happened with Metallica. They were the ones screaming "Motley Crue sucks, well never be like them"...and then they became Motley Crue.

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Everyone knows artists are idealists by nature, let them make their music regardless of the contradictory/hypocritical and sometimes just downright idiotic things they say. Zappa put it best, "Rock journalism is people who can't talk, talking to people who can't write, writing for people who can't read."

Maiden33
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
That was probably one of the most awkward things I've ever seen. As much of a n00b as the kid was, Henry Rollins acted like a total douche bag.

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
As much of a n00b as the kid was (which believe me, he was),

Oh good, I needed to make sure you thought he was a "n00b" too before I drew that incredible conclusion.

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
You have legitimate points, and what you're saying is the main reason that the early 80's American punk scene self-destructed. But they have every right as artists to expand and evolve their music, and the fact that they did so and gave the finger to anyone who didn't like it is what is so "punk" about them. Besides, you'd be hard pressed to find a band who more epitomized the DIY, hard-living tour lifestyle than Black Flag. They definitely never sold out, like the kid claimed.

Maiden33
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh good, I needed to make sure you thought he was a "n00b" too before I drew that incredible conclusion.

Thanks for being a douche bag over nothing. I edited my post now so it might not force anyone else to PMS.

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for being a douche bag over nothing. I edited my post now so it might not force anyone else to PMS.
Yeah my cycle kicked in just as I read your post. Be more conscientious of my hormone levels when you post your opinions.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
These guys are so gay it's ridiculous.

Maiden33
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah my cycle kicked in just as I read your post. Be more conscientious of my hormone levels when you post your opinions.

I'll do my best.

mankvill
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4uahL_tQWc

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't really see how Rollins was being a douche. The kid was obviously a clueless poser who was in way over his head. Why would you want to waste your time talking to someone like that?

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:10 PM
If you think Rollins was being a douche, chances are you're a douche.

JRA
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
But they have every right as artists to expand and evolve their music, and the fact that they did so and gave the finger to anyone who didn't like it is what is so "punk" about them. Besides, you'd be hard pressed to find a band who more epitomized the DIY, hard-living tour lifestyle than Black Flag. They definitely never sold out, like the kid claimed.

I'm not knocking any artists right to evolve, but when they first come around, they should do so without pretense. Don't even go around yelling "we're not like those corporate bands," people can figure that out on their own by listening to their music. Really, if all you do is run around telling people how (insert musical adjective here) you are, and you deviate from that sound, you get exactly what's coming to you.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-16-2010, 09:12 PM

This makes me so happy to know that people think LOG are so "tough" promoting violence and being redneck macho's. This video epitomizes stupidity on the stupid singer's part, what a useless waste of life.

mankvill
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
This makes me so happy to know that people think LOG are so "tough" promoting violence and being redneck macho's. This video epitomizes stupidity on the stupid singer's part, what a useless waste of life.

Man, Henry Rollins is God.

Maiden33
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't really see how Rollins was being a douche. The kid was obviously a clueless poser who was in way over his head. Why would you want to waste your time talking to someone like that?

I agree - the kid was a clueless poser not worthy of the time of day.

BUT - why NOT just answer a few questions like a decent human being? I mean, I'm not saying Rollins had to be super friendly, the occasional off-hand sarcastic remark could've sufficed - but my point is that he didn't have to basically attack the kid. Being a scene kid is stupid, but it's not offensive.

I've had to talk to people and do mini-interviews through my band, and I've encountered people who don't know what they're talking about - but I was just content to give them what they wanted and leave it at that. I wasn't so caught up in trying to be an edgy badass that I needed to be a douche bag.

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Eh, I'm not sure that Black Flag ever said "We're punk," they just did it. Hell, they helped invent that whole subculture. I mean, it's not like one day they were writing stuff like "Nervous Breakdown" and turned into a technical metal band overnight. Their "metal" stuff isn't really that metal, it's just slower and sludgier.

JRA
Ok, now it's time for the real Rollins loyalty test. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkKBQj5ntQ

mankvill

BUT - why NOT just answer a few questions like a decent human being? I mean, I'm not saying Rollins had to be super friendly, the occasional off-hand sarcastic remark could've sufficed - but my point is that he didn't have to basically attack the kid. Being a scene kid is stupid, but it's not offensive.

kind of off-topic, but I bet Monotheist-era Tom G. Warrior would be the scariest person to interview ever.

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not knocking any artists right to evolve, but when they first come around, they should do so without pretense. Don't even go around yelling "we're not like those corporate bands," people can figure that out on their own by listening to their music. Really, if all you do is run around telling people how (insert musical adjective here) you are, and you deviate from that sound, you get exactly what's coming to you.
I can dig. Black Flag was pure spirit though, and sometimes pure spirit manifests itself in irrationality, especially when you're a group of pissed off teenagers with something to say. Looking back I don't think they would do anything differently, but I think they would agree that it would've been best to just let the music do the talking, and really that goes for all musicians and artists.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-16-2010, 09:16 PM

I've had to talk to people and do mini-interviews through my band, and I've encountered people who don't know what they're talking about - but I was just content to give them what they wanted and leave it at that. I wasn't so caught up in trying to be an edgy badass that I needed to be a douche bag.

That's because "punks" like to think they're so cool by being "rebels" and doing everything the way society doesn't endorse, leaving them in a total false, ignoramus view of themselves and society as a whole.

In other words, punks make me lol.

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
BTW, I definitely don't condone him physically beating up fans like in that other video. He went through a phase of obnoxious violent machismo, but he grew up eventually.

Maiden33
02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok, now it's time for the real Rollins loyalty test. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkKBQj5ntQ

Honestly, I laughed at that video. I think if I heard him really let loose about how he truly feels about the band and their music, it would make me irate, but I thought that specific bit was pretty funny, and not really offensive to Maiden fans, even if it was kind of intended to be.

And he has Bruce's 80's interview attitude (and accent) down to a T.

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
That's because "punks" like to think they're so cool by being "rebels" and doing everything the way society doesn't endorse, leaving them in a total false, ignoramus view of themselves and society as a whole.

That is a non sequitur, among other things.

SerpentineVIVIVI
02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
That is a non sequitur, among other things.

Yes, because I am trying to be comical/presenting an illogical point that does not follow a string of logic. You are correct :tp:

powerslave_85
02-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I laughed at that video. I think if I heard him really let loose about how he truly feels about the band and their music, it would make me irate, but I thought that specific bit was pretty funny, and not really offensive to Maiden fans, even if it was kind of intended to be.

And he has Bruce's 80's interview attitude (and accent) down to a T.
Maiden fantatics like ourselves can't get mad at that because we know how 100% fucking true it is :lol:

ADD
02-16-2010, 09:28 PM

Div
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
shit. even i feel awkward for that kid. he's tryin so hard not to fall apart but rollins just keeps swinging the sledge at him.

DethMaiden
02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Not that revelatory. He didn't say much that was interesting, and he did it in a kind of mean way. His spoken word is a lot better than this shit.

b_halperin
02-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Wow Rollins is incredibly immature.

I've interviewed bands before, and I could only imagine how annoyed I'd be if they answered my questions like he did.

ADD
02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Ahhh...............:hecho: