PDA

View Full Version : Favorite metal singers and guitarists

x-voltage
02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Top Singers
1. Jesse Leach (Killswitch Engage, Seemless, The Empire Shall Fall)
2. Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch, Motograter)
3. Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory)
4. Corey Taylor (Slipknot, Stone Sour)
5. Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)
6. Howard Jones (Killswitch Engage)
7. Phil Labonte (All That Remains)
8. Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down, Superjoint Ritual)
9. James Hetfield (Metallica)
10. Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)
11. Dave Peters (Throwdown)
12. Speed (Soilwork)
13. Brian Fair (Shadows Fall)
14. Rob Zombie (White Zombie, Rob Zombie)
15. Mike Terry (Bury Your Dead)

Top Guitarists

1. Rob Arnold/Matt Devries (Chimaira, mainly Rob Arnold)
2. James Hetfield/Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
3. Rob Flynn (Machine Head)
4. Matt Heafy/Corey Beaulieu (Trivium)
5. Adam D/Joel Stroetzel (Killswitch Engage, Aftershock)
6. Dino Cazares (Fear Factory, Divine Heresy)
7. John Schaffer (Iced Earth)
8. Oli Herbert/Mike Martin (All That Remains)
9. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera, Damageplan) RIP
10. Mic Thompson/Jim Root (Slipknot, Stone Sour (Jim Root only))
11. Zoltan Bathory (Five Finger Death Punch)
12. Mark Morton/Willie Adler (Lamb of God)
13. Jonathon Donais/Matt Bachard (Shadows Fall)
14. John 5 (Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, John 5)
15. Sean Martin (Hatebreed)
16. Mark Choiniere (Throwdown)
17. Doc Coyle/Dallas Coyle (God Forbid)
18. Pete Wichers (Soilwork)
19. John Pertucci (Dream Theater)
20. Scott Ian/Dan Spitz (Anthrax)
21. Mike Riggs (Rob Zombie)
22. Alex Skolnick/Eric Peterson (Testament)
23. Jay Yuenger (White Zombie)

Maiden33
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Off the top of my head, both lists are in a rough sort of order:

Singers:
Russell Allen (Symphony X)
Jorn lande (Masterplan, Solo, Various Projects)
Zak Stevens (Savatage, Circle II Circle)
Tom S. Englund (Evergrey)
Johnny lindquist (Nocturnal Rites)
Oliver Hartmann (At Vance, Hartmann)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Mike Dimeo (Riot)
Ray Alder (Fates Warning, Redemption)
Jon Oliva (Savatage)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia)
Ronnie James Dio (Dio, Black Sabbath)
Tony Martin (Black Sabbath)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Steve Walsh (Kansas)
Tommy Karevik (Seventh Wonder)
Doogie White (Cornerstone, Rainbow)

Guitarists:
Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Criss Oliva (Savatage)
"lord" Tim Grose (Dungeon)
Gus G (Firewind)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake, Dio)
John Sykes (Whitesnake, Thin lizzy)
Nils Norberg (Nocturnal Rites)
Jorn Viggo lofstad (Pagan's Mind)
Neil Schon (Journey)
Roy Z (Bruce Dickinson, Rob Rock)
Gary Moore (Thin lizzy, Solo)
Magnus Karlsson (Allen/lande)
Alex Skolnick (Testament, TSO)
Mark Reale (Riot)

x-voltage
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow the only thing in common between our list is John Pertucci and Alex Skolnick

Maiden33
02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Wow the only thing in common between our list is John Pertucci and Alex Skolnick

That's probably because I listen to pretty much an entirely different set of metal subgenres, haha.

Matt Barlow was pretty damn close to making my singers list, but it's as much if not more for his one album with Pyramaze than it is with Iced Earth.

mankvill
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Dave Hunt
Travis Ryan
James Lee

As far as extreme metal goes, there are none better.

No one in metalcore does vocals better than Trevor Strnad.

As far as guitarists go, I'm pretty sure you should just check Maiden 33's list :D

The_jman
02-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Dave Hunt
Travis Ryan
James Lee

As far as extreme metal goes, there are none better.

No one in metalcore does vocals better than Trevor Strnad.

As far as guitarists go, I'm pretty sure you should just check Maiden 33's list :D
can you give bands for said vocalists?

Sanitarium78
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Singers:

Bruce Dickinson- Iron Maiden. If it's ever been done better I haven't heard it.

Ronnie James Dio- Rainbow/Dio/Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell. Same reason as Dickinson plus while his voice isn't what it once was he's still going out there and delivering quality live vocal performances at age 67!

Mathew Barlow- Iced Earth. Great power and good range can get his voice to go low or high.

Warrel Dane- Nevermore. Classically trained singer with a wide range of vocal ability. Can hit both low and high notes equally as good.

Geddy Lee- Rush. Underatted as a vocalists especially once he started to learn how to sing in the 80s. At age 57 can still deliever quality vocal performances consistanly live and in the studio.

Geoff Tate- Queensryche. One of the best singers ever period. He can get his voice to sing at any range.

Rob Halford- Judas Priest. Don't feel I need to give a reason here.

James Labrie- Dream Theater. One of the best around his ability to hit certian notes and hold them is something rare that you don't hear to often anymore.

Mike Patton- Faith No More. One of the most unique and innovative vocalists ever. His voice is truley one of a kind and he always has done, and hopefully will continue to do vocal styling's that influence and impress future generations of music lovers.

King Diamond- Mercyful Fate/King Diamond. Just always been a favorite of mine. His falsetto is classic and his lower creepy voice gives me chills. It just fits so well with his music and stories he writes for his albums.

I'll post my guitarists later once i have a chance to figure them out.

mankvill
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
can you give bands for said vocalists?

Sure!

Dave Hunt: Anaal Nathrakh/Benediction/Mistress
Travis Ryan: Cattle Decapitation
James Lee: Origin
Trevor Strnad: The Black Dahlia Murder

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Singers:

Bruce Dickinson- Iron Maiden. If it's ever been done better I haven't heard it.

Ronnie James Dio- Rainbow/Dio/Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell. Same reason as Dickinson plus while his voice isn't what it once was he's still going out there and delivering quality live vocal performances at age 67!

James Labrie- Dream Theater. One of the best around his ability to hit certian notes and hold them is something rare that you don't hear to often anymore.

1) Bruce is amazing, but I can't begin to fathom how someone thinks he's the BEST singer of all-time. Favorite? Sure, that's all subjective, but I can't imagine arguing him for the best.

2) If you're gonna make a comment about Dio's voice "not being what it once was", you need to say something about Bruce as well. Granted, the Somewhere Back in Time tour was a nice step up for him, but generally in the past 10 years Bruce's voice live (and even on album, especially A Matter of life and Death) has really dropped off.

3) James labrie circa Images and Words was an absolutely amazing vocalist that totally ruled. But I think he's always been one of the worst live vocalists out there. I've never heard someone who could just sound... out of tune. He's had his ups and downs, and on Score/The Octavarium tour he really turned things around for a while. But overall I've never heard a singer so capable of making me cringe live.

Natrlhi
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Sure!

Dave Hunt: Anaal Nathrakh/Benediction/Mistress
Travis Ryan: Cattle Decapitation
James Lee: Origin
Trevor Strnad: The Black Dahlia Murder

Speaking of Origin, both Jeremy Turner and Paul Ryan had better be on your guitar players list, as well as Mike Flores on bass - he is sick as fuck.

Did it ever occur to anyone else that Trevor's family name used to be "Strand", and someone fucked it up on a birth certificate somewhere, and they just decided to run with it? Same thing happened to Cleveland Indian Jhonny Peralta. Just asking. It's been a stream-of-consciousness kind of day. :eyes:

Sanitarium78
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
1) Bruce is amazing, but I can't begin to fathom how someone thinks he's the BEST singer of all-time. Favorite? Sure, that's all subjective, but I can't imagine arguing him for the best.

2) If you're gonna make a comment about Dio's voice "not being what it once was", you need to say something about Bruce as well. Granted, the Somewhere Back in Time tour was a nice step up for him, but generally in the past 10 years Bruce's voice live (and even on album, especially A Matter of life and Death) has really dropped off.

3) James labrie circa Images and Words was an absolutely amazing vocalist that totally ruled. But I think he's always been one of the worst live vocalists out there. I've never heard someone who could just sound... out of tune. He's had his ups and downs, and on Score/The Octavarium tour he really turned things around for a while. But overall I've never heard a singer so capable of making me cringe live.

I'll agree that Dickinson has dropped off a bit on his range as well. The reason I mentioned it for Dio and not him is because I felt that Dio being in his late 60s and still doing well was more impressive. The reason I say Bruce's voice has never been done better is because that voice represents all that is metal to me and it fits the metal image perfectly.

I'll agree with you on LaBrie he is horribly inconsistant live. I'm not sure if it's studio magic or the option of being able to do multiple takes but he's always sounded great on CD. Which leads me to believe he can still do it vocally. But the shorter sets that DT does live now and dropping the whole "evening with" format leads me to believe that at least live he's deffinately not what he used to be.

mankvill
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Speaking of Origin, both Jeremy Turner and Paul Ryan had better be on your guitar players list, as well as Mike Flores on bass - he is sick as fuck.

Did it ever occur to anyone else that Trevor's family name used to be "Strand", and someone fucked it up on a birth certificate somewhere, and they just decided to run with it? Same thing happened to Cleveland Indian Jhonny Peralta. Just asking. It's been a stream-of-consciousness kind of day. :eyes:

Fa sho. Each time I've seen Origin it's been in a tiny little bar here in Lawrence, and their bassist is just mind-blowing.

And I don't ever trust someone whose last name has 4 consonants in a row!

SomewhereInTime72
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Favorite metal singers:

Rob Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Michael Kiske

Guitarists, I can't really think of off the top of my head, it's a much more difficult question to answer for me. I'm not sure what to take into account; overall playing, performance style, quality of solos, songwriting strength, etc make it harder for me to consider than singers.

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Guitarists:
Tony IommI(Black Sabbath)
Jimmy Page(led zeppelin)
James Hetfield (metallica)
Kirk Hammett(metallica)
Dimebag Darrel(pantera)
Angus/Malcolm Young(ac/dc)
Eddie Vanhalen(van halen)

Wow, how very generic of you.

JuuKun
02-11-2010, 02:43 PM
In no particular order, a rough top 15 Singers:

Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind)
Charles Rytkonen (Morgana Lefay)
Floor Jansen (After Forever)
Ville Laihiala (Sentenced)
Marco Hietala (Tarot, Nightwish)
Fernando Ribeiro (Moonspell)
Alan "Nemtheanga" Averill (Primordial)
Mika Luttinen (Impaled Nazarene)
Ralf Scheepers (Primal Fear)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Marcel "Schmier" Schirmer (Destruction)
Jorn Lande (Jorn, ex-ARK, Masterplan, etc.)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)

Guitarists would be a lot harder, so I'm going to refrain for now.

Dextrimental
02-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Suppose Ill give this a go!

Guitarists, I will just name the ones who inspire me, and whose work I find myself constantly coming back to, learning, and comparing my work to:

Dimebag Darrel (R.I.P) (PanterA)
Steve Morse (Solo)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater, LTE)
Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
Guthrie Govan (Solo)
Mark Morton (Lamb of God)
Joe Pass (Solo)
Andy McKee (Solo)

Vocalists, I will name the vocalists I really cant get enough of, in terms of lyrics and singing ability:

Corey Taylor (Slipknot)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)
Eva Cassidy (Solo)

Yeah I know mst of them aren't metal, but now that I've typed all that out im not bothered changing it.

makethemsuffer12
02-11-2010, 05:41 PM

It's Indestructable, what do you expect?

But you can't hate on Mr. Iommi. Our lives wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for him.

Voices (in no particular order):
Ozzy (mid 70's)
Dio
Halford
Matt Barlow
George Fisher
Stu Block (Into Eternity)
Bruce Dickinson
Geoff Tate
Chuck Billy
Zetro
Tom Araya
Hetfield
Mustaine
Phil Anselmo (Pre-Vulgar Display)
Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian)
Dave White (Heathen)
Doogie White (Rainbow, Yngwie)
Joe Lynn Turner
Chuck Schuldiner
Devin Townsend
Chris Barnes (circa The Bleeding)

Guitarists (in no particulay order):
Gary Holt
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman
Glen Drover
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Dimebag
Alex Skolnick
Mike Amott
Chris Amott
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Randy Rhoads
Jeff Loomis
Ritchie Blackmore
Chuck Schuldiner
Michael Romeo
Yngwie

It might not be the most original list, but w/e

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Jorn Lande (Jorn, ex-ARK, Masterplan, etc.)

I <3 you.

Wizzbang11
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Travis Ryan
King Diamond
Jeff Walker
Chris Reifert
Kam Lee
Stevo Dobbins
Zeeb Parkes
Maniac Neil

SomewhereInTime72
02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Generic wouldn't really be that bothersome as long as it were awesome. Unfortunately, of those guitarists, riffmaster Iommi is the only one I feel I would truly tip my hat to as awesome.

makethemsuffer12
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Shit! I forgot to mention Mikael Akerfeldt for both singer and guitarist.

b_halperin
02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
these are some of my favorites.. not necessarily the best

Vocals:
Randy Blythe - Lamb of God
Brock Lindow - 36 Crazyfists
Mikael Dahl - Crystal Eyes
Jon Gallagher - Dying Fetus
Paul Masvidal - Cynic
Dez Fafara - Devildriver
Joel Grind - Toxic Holocaust
Warlord - Turisas
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden

Guitar:
Fredrick/Martin - Meshuggah
Michael Keane - The Faceless
Jon Gallagher - Dying Fetus
N8 Feet Under/Scunty D. - Skeletonwitch
Mark Morton/Chris Adler - Lamb of God

DethMaiden
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
There's a handful of guys who I really love and respect for their versatility and songwriting and singing in different ways and playing a mean guitar. That list is Mikael Åkerfeldt, Devin Townsend, and Neige. Hard to say who my favorite singers and guitarists are individually, but those three dudes are hard not to be awestruck by.

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Generic wouldn't really be that bothersome as long as it were awesome. Unfortunately, of those guitarists, riffmaster Iommi is the only one I feel I would truly tip my hat to as awesome.

Yep.

I also think half the vocalists mentioned aren't "singers". If you don't sing notes, you're not a singer. I don't mean to pull a "durr I'm closeminded and hate growling", but I just wish to make the distinction that growling/screaming is vocals, not literally singing.

JRA
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
What the hell

Vocalists:

Rob Halford
Lemmy Kilmister
Ozzy Osbourne (1970-2001-ish)
Bobby Blitz Ellsworth
Bruce Dickinson
Kai Hansen (1995-on)
Bon Scott
Jeff Walker (for balance purposes, I feel like I should add my favorite extreme metal vocalist, and here he is!)
Paul Stanley
Dio

Guitarists:

Alex Lifeson
Ritchie Blackmore
Dave Mustaine
Eddie Van Halen
Kai Hansen
Dimebag Darrell
Alexi Laiho
Quorthon (Bathory)
Glenn Tipton
Jimi Hendrix

Honorary mentions:

Rhythm guitar player: James Hetfield
Riff creator: Tony Iommi
guitar team: Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
guitar player/songwriter: Pete Townsend

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Kai Hansen (1995-on)
Kai Hansen

Kai nearly got a nod from me in some form. I think he's just a huge personality and important figure in the music I really love and I think he's written about 3x his share of great power metal songs. I used to not love his voice, but has time has gone on, he's still not one of my favorites, but I think his voice "FITS" Gamma Ray so unbelievably well, and truly makes them what they are. So for that, I award big points.

Regarding Blackmore:
I can definitely see it argued from an influence/writing perspective. I think Blackmore's style of playing and writing was well ahead of his time, basically crafting what I'd consider the first couple of power metal tunes ever written. But I think as a player he's absolutely overrated. I find most of his solos to honestly be kind of embarrassing, especially because of his tone. As I said, writing-wise he was brilliant, but you had guys from the same general era that could run circles around him solo-wise.

TonyD
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
What about guitar players/singers?

Matt Pike
Devin Townsend
Josh Homme

JRA
02-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Kai nearly got a nod from me in some form. I think he's just a huge personality and important figure in the music I really love and I think he's written about 3x his share of great power metal songs. I used to not love his voice, but has time has gone on, he's still not one of my favorites, but I think his voice "FITS" Gamma Ray so unbelievably well, and truly makes them what they are. So for that, I award big points.

Alot of people think Bruce or Rob bring "opera" to metal, but I feel like Kai is literally a classically trained mezzo-soprano singer given to us by the metal gods to add some "sophistication" to heavy metal. It's pretty hilarious considering that on Walls of Jericho he sounds like a box of smashed assholes. Who knew that 10 plus years of NOT singing would make your vocal abilities grow exponentially?

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Singer/Guitarist Combos:

"lord" Tim Grose (Dungeon, lord)
John Sykes (Whitesnake, Blue Murder)
Gary Moore (Solo, Thin lizzy)
Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, Helloween)
Dave Meniketti (Y&T)

Also I'll give a special nod to these other singer/instrumentalists who I really like:
Jon Oliva - Vocals/Keyboards (Savatage)
Steve Walsh - Vocals/Keyboards (Kansas)
Billy Greer - Bass/Vocals (Kansas, Seventh Key)
Deen Castronovo - Drums/Vocals (Journey)
Mat Sinner - Bass/Vocals (Primal Fear, Sinner)

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Alot of people think Bruce or Rob bring "opera" to metal, but I feel like Kai is literally a classically trained mezzo-soprano singer given to us by the metal gods to add some "sophistication" to heavy metal. It's pretty hilarious considering that on Walls of Jericho he sounds like a box of smashed assholes. Who knew that 10 plus years of NOT singing would make your vocal abilities grow exponentially?

I don't know about that. Kai has never come off as operatic to me. I mean, aside from him doing his occasional bombastic choir bits (see: middle of Valley of the Kings). I don't think he's remotely close to some other guys as far as classical training in metal vocalists goes. See: Khan (Kamelot) and Harry Conklin (Jag Panzer).

JRA
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Enh, Kai Hansen is a singer/guitar player combo. If your talking about acknowledging those because of how difficult it is to play guitar and sing at the same time, then sorry, but I'm not interested. To me the voice should speak for itself. I almost added Dave Mustaine in the singer section, but...I didn't.

I don't know about that. Kai has never come off as operatic to me. I mean, aside from him doing his occasional bombastic choir bits (see: middle of Valley of the Kings). I don't think he's remotely close to some other guys as far as classical training in metal vocalists goes. See: Khan (Kamelot) and Harry Conklin (Jag Panzer).

The utter irony in this is that you listen to the Gamma Ray ballads way more than I do so you should be able to understand what I'm talking about. :lol: Go back and listen to Shine On and pay attention to that piano section near the end. That just might be his finest moment.

Maiden33
02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
The utter irony in this is that you listen to the Gamma Ray ballads way more than I do so you should be able to understand what I'm talking about. :lol: Go back and listen to Shine On and pay attention to that piano section near the end. That just might be his finest moment.

Oh yeah, that. Also heard in "The Silence", "Heal Me", and select other songs. I see what you mean, but still, that's such a very small facet to his vocal style that I don't find it a dominant quality.

Dextrimental
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Phil Anselmo (Pre-Vulgar Display)

WTF? Not that im trying to split hairs, but how do you justify this? PanterA are my favorite band and, well, this feels blasphemous.

Dextrimental
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
As far as Singer/instrumentalists go:

James Hetfield (MetallicA)
Dave Mustaine (MegadetH)
Freddie Mercury (Queen, for his piano work in the band)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Matt Heafy (Trivium) Save it.
Also, the vocalist from Akercocke is awesome, but I can never remember the guys name..

SomewhereInTime72
02-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Yep.

I also think half the vocalists mentioned aren't "singers". If you don't sing notes, you're not a singer. I don't mean to pull a "durr I'm closeminded and hate growling", but I just wish to make the distinction that growling/screaming is vocals, not literally singing.

Teeeeeeeechnically all growlers are singing notes and there is sometimes even a distinct melody to them as well, it's just that the timbre is incredibly warped. :D I would consider it a form of singing; just that much like the way thrash metal singing is more abrasive than power metal singing, death metal is only much more abrasive than that...

(of course this really only applies to about 1/3 of death vocals, because a large amount of the time it really is someone just screaming at the top of their lungs without much regard to anything else :eyes: )

I actually love Kai's "box of smashed assholes" voice. :tongue: It's not that great, and he definitely got better. But something about the way it fits Walls of Jericho is fucking awesome. :cool:

DethMaiden
02-12-2010, 08:43 AM

Matt Pike
Devin Townsend
Josh Homme

There's a handful of guys who I really love and respect for their versatility and songwriting and singing in different ways and playing a mean guitar. That list is Mikael Åkerfeldt, Devin Townsend, and Neige. Hard to say who my favorite singers and guitarists are individually, but those three dudes are hard not to be awestruck by.

The best. All three can sing cleanly extremely well or do their variation on "extreme vocals" (death metal for Åkerfeldt, thrash-ish for Devy, and black metal for Neige), and can play the shit out of their instruments.

JRA
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I actually love Kai's "box of smashed assholes" voice. :tongue: It's not that great, and he definitely got better. But something about the way it fits Walls of Jericho is fucking awesome. :cool:

Oh, it totally fit that album perfectly, but was he the vocalist of the year? Fuck no.

makethemsuffer12
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
WTF? Not that im trying to split hairs, but how do you justify this? PanterA are my favorite band and, well, this feels blasphemous.

I just prefer his falsetto/old school metal voice as opposed to him trying to sound as gruff as possible.

xStructualDefect
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Guitarists
Jari Mäenpää - Wintersun
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
Tim Millar / Luke Hoskin - Protest The Hero
Antti Kokko - Kalmah

Vocalists
Russel Allen - Symphony X
Jari Mäenpää - Wintersun
Jonathan Davis - Korn
Trevor Strnad - Black Dahlia Murder
Stu Block - Into Eternity
Mikael Stanne - Dark Tranquillity

Sanitarium78
02-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I did my singers yesterday so i'll do my guitarist now. But unlike with the singers I don't feel like listing reasons for my choices.

Tony Iommi- Black Sabbath
Alex Lifeson- Rush
Dave Mustaine- Megadeth
John Petrucci- Dream Theater
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith/Janick Gers- Iron Maiden
James Hetfeild- Metallica
Scott Ian- Anthrax
John Schaffer- Iced Earth
Dimebag Darrel- Pantera
Jeff Loomis- Nevermore

JRA
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Neil Murray

http://www.black-sabbath.com/gallery_2/d/10378-2/Chp+17+Fielden-006.jpg

Maiden33
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.black-sabbath.com/gallery_2/d/10378-2/Chp+17+Fielden-006.jpg

Great bassist - not the guitarist for Maiden though, haha.

Maiden33
02-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I just prefer his falsetto/old school metal voice as opposed to him trying to sound as gruff as possible.

Dude, I'm totally with you here. Phil's vocals on Cowboys From Hell are this really brilliant combination of melody and intensity/roughness. I really dig those performances. After a while though he just fucking lost all of his versatility.

ravenheart
02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Vocals:

Ronnie James Dio
Damian Wilson
Nils Patrick Johansson
Russell Allen
Tim Owens
Bobby Ellsworth
Alice Cooper
Tony Martin
Lee Dorrian
Andy B. Franck
Hansi Kursch
Mats Leven
Rob Sowden
Bruce Dickinson
Travis Meeks
Scott Weinrich
John Corabi
Damon Johnson

Guitarists:

Zakk Wylde
Victor Smolski
Jeff Waters
Dave Linsk
Gaz Jennings
Chris Caffery
Karl Groom
Tony Iommi
Jeff Loomis
John Mitchell
Travis Meeks
Dave Chandler

ravenheart
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
On the singer/instrumentalist front Travis Meeks all the way for me.

DethMaiden
02-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Dude, I'm totally with you here. Phil's vocals on Cowboys From Hell are this really brilliant combination of melody and intensity/roughness. I really dig those performances. After a while though he just fucking lost all of his versatility.

I'll third the motion. Phil on Cowboys from Hell is unique and awesome. Vulgar Display, sorta. Far Beyond onward, terrible and tough guy. :(

Maiden33
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Chris Caffery

:lol:

Why?

You have a pretty bitchin' set of singers though.

Sanitarium78
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Great bassist - not the guitarist for Maiden though, haha.

Sorry, I meant Dave don't know why Neil popped in my head i'll go edit it now.

ravenheart
02-14-2010, 07:41 AM
:lol:

Why?

You have a pretty bitchin' set of singers though.

You don't think he's decent? I love the work he does on his solo stuff.

Maiden33
02-14-2010, 02:13 PM
You don't think he's decent? I love the work he does on his solo stuff.

Oh, he's more than decent, that's for sure. But a "decent" guitarist wouldn't even be considered for my list.

Chris is just not a notable guitarist IMO, I don't think he has any style. In both Savatage and TSO his soloing and style are vastly overshadowed by everything Al Pitrelli does. I think he's entirely too noodly. He was great at playing Criss Oliva's solos and always plays other people's solos really well, but he can't write his own to save his life. They're always just big noodle-fests.

Obviously I've gotta speak fairly decently about him, because... you know...
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs209.snc1/7629_708714114153_8229703_41164884_5134858_n.jpg

ravenheart
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs209.snc1/7629_708714114153_8229703_41164884_5134858_n.jpg

Some metal nerd appears to have snuck into this photo and pretended to play keyboards.

Maiden33
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Now, on the subject of musicians, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding entire bands, where each member is a top-notch musician at their respective position. Not necessarily a band of virtuosos, but a whole bunch of great players that make for one superb band. In some cases this can be a band with really no incredible players, but just a group of musicians that gels so incredibly well. Singers are encouraged to be included in this equation.

DethMaiden
02-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Now, on the subject of musicians, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding entire bands, where each member is a top-notch musician at their respective position. Not necessarily a band of virtuosos, but a whole bunch of great players that make for one superb band. In some cases this can be a band with really no incredible players, but just a group of musicians that gels so incredibly well. Singers are encouraged to be included in this equation.

Well, Iron Maiden is the obvious one for me. I wouldn't put any individual member in my top 5 for that instrument (maybe Steve, maybe Bruce, probably neither) but as a unit they're the greatest band on the planet.

ADD
02-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Captain Beyond is the first that comes to my mind.

xStructualDefect
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM

IMO i'd have to say Symphony X, Protest The Hero, and Kalmah.

VulgarDisplayOfPower
02-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Guitar:
Dino Cazares & Christian Olde Wolbers(Fear Factory),Dimebag Darrell(Pantera) and Zakk Wylde(Black Label Society)

Vocals:
Phil Anselmo(Pantera),Burton C. Bell(Fear Factory),Cristina Scabbia(Lacuna Coil),Glenn Danzig(Misfits,Samhain and Danzig) and Anders Friden(In Flames)

DethMaiden
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Alright, I'll try guitarists.

Jeff Loomis - Only guy who does that Guitar World fanboy jerkoff bullshit that I actually like, because he still writes kickass songs.
Karl Sanders - Egyptian influence + lightspeed tech death + he has to sing=amazing
Dimebag Darrell - In an elite class of dudes whose riffs are as good as their solos and visa versa. R.I.P.
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Can't put a finger on one reason why but he's definitely my biggest musical hero.
Neige - Anyone who has made as many bands great as he has deserves a nod.
David Gilmour - Favorite soloist (not metal? Fuck you, not metal)
Adrian Smith and Dave Murray - Definitely both at their best when they share a band with the other.
Tony Iommi - Best riff writer ever, sorry.

maidenpriest
03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
In no particular order

Vocalists:
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio)
Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia)
Roy Kahn (Kamelot)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Steve Walsh (Kansas)
Brent Smith (Shinedown)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Ray Alder (Fates Warning)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire)

Guitarists:
Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Adrian Smith/Dave Murray (Iron Maiden. More a fan of Adrian, melodic solos ftw!!)
Kai Hansen (Helloween, Gamma Ray)
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains)
Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Herman Li (Dragonforce, not just cause of Through the Fire and the Flames)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
Alex Skolnick (Testament)
Matt Heafy (Trivium)
Adam Jones (Tool)

some of these arent metal but oh well, I'm not the only one who put in some non-metal choices. lol

The Ancient Mariner
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Top 40 Vocalists

Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
Joey Belladonna (Anthrax)
Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)
Blaze Bayley (Wolfsbane/Iron Maiden/Blaze Bayley)
Tom Gabriel Fischer (Celtic Frost)
Dez Fafara (Coal Chamber/Devil Driver)
Dani Filth (Cradle Of Filth)
Dave Lee Roth (Dave Lee Roth/Van Halen)
Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio/Heaven & Hell)
Doro Pesch (Warlock/Doro)
Mike Patton (Faith No More)
Axl Rose (Guns n Roses)
Ann Wilson (Heart)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Tim ‘Ripper’ Owens (Iced Earth)
Bruce Dickinson (Samson/Iron Maiden/Solo)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Paul Stanley (Kiss)
Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes)
Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Vince Neal (Motley Crue)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish/Tarja)
Ozzy (Ozzy Osbourne)
Phil Anselmo (Pantera)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
Till Lindemann (Rammstein)
Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
Martin Walkyier (Sabbat/Skyclad/Clan Destined)
Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols)
Max Cavalera (Sepultura)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
Corey Taylor (Slipknot)
Chuck Billy (Testament)
Blackie Lawless (W.A.S.P)
David Coverdale (Whitesnake)
Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
Chris Astley (Xentrix)

Wrathchild89
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Top 10 Singers:
01. Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
02. Michael Kiske (Helloween)
03. Ronnie James Dio (Dio/Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell)
04. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
05. Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
06. Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
07. Eric Adams (Manowar)
08. Ray Alder (Fates Warning)
09. Phil Anselmo (Pantera/Down)
10. James LaBrie (Dream Theater)

Top 10 Guitarists:
01. Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
02. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
03. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera/Damageplan)
04. Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne)
05. Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
06. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
07. James Hetfield (Metallica)
08. Marten Hagstrom (Meshuggah
09. Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
10. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

larvtard
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
inb4 bruce dickinson

o wait

rjmartinez91
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
My favorite metal vocalists:
1.Jonathan Davis(korn)
2.Maynard James Keenan(Tool)
3.Rob Zombie(White Zombie/Rob Zombie)
4.Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
5.Ozzy(Black Sabbath, Ozzy)
6.Ronnie James Dio(Black Sabbath, Dio)
7.Joacim Cans(Hammerfall)
8.Eduardo Falaschi(Angra)
9.Mike Muir(Suicidal Tendencies)
10.For number ten...Idk.

Non-metal:
1.Robert Plant(Led Zeppelin years)
2.John Lennon(Solo work)
3.Geddy Lee(Rush)
4.Steven Tyler(Aerosmith)
5.Jim Morrison(The Doors)
6.Joey Ramone(Ramones)
7.Mike Ness(SD)
8.Glenn Danzig(Misfits)
9.Andrew Eldritch(Sisters of Mercy)
10.Robert Smith(the Cure)

My Favorite metal guitarists:
1.Robert Jauregui(D.B.B.)
1.Tony Iommi(Black Sabbath)
2.Adam Thomas Jones(Tool)
3.Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden)
4.Brendan Small(Dethklok)
5.Pontus Norgren(Hammerfall)

Non-metal:
1.Jimmy Page(Led Zeppelin years)
2.Jimmy Hendrix
3.Ted Nugent
4.Eddie Van Halen(Van Halen)
5.Slash(Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver)
6.Jack White(White Stripes)

elturtleboy
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
My Favorite metal guitarists:
1.Robert Jauregui(D.B.B.)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

elturtleboy
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Singers:
Ronnie James Dio(Black Sabbath,Dio,Rainbow)
Rob Halford(Judas Priest,Fight,2wo)
Paul Di'Anno(Iron Maiden)
Seth Putnam(Anal Cunt,Full Blown AIDS)
Lee Dorian(Napalm Death)
Glenn Danzig(Misfits,Samhain,Danzig)
Jello Biafra(Dead Kennedys)
Tony Cadena(Adolescents)
Tom Araya(Slayer!)
Dave Mustaine(Megadeth)
Phil Anselmo(Pantera,Superjoint Ritual)
Joey Belladonna(Anthrax)
Darby Crash(The Germs)
Joey Ramone(The Ramones)
Kurt Brecht(DRI)
Jamey Jasta(Hetebreed)
Paul Baloff(Exodus)
Lemmy Kilmister(Motorhead)
Corpsegrinder(Cannibal Corpse)

Guitar:
Dave Mustaine(Megadeth,MD.45)
Dimebag Darrel(Pantera,Damageplan)
Slash(Guns N Roses,)
Ace Frehley(Kiss,Frehleys Commet)
Angus Young(AC/DC)
Tony Iommi(Black Sabbath,Heaven And Hell)
Randy Rhodes(Ozzy Osbourne,Quiet Riot)
Johnny Ramone(The Ramones)

Indestructible
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Vocals
Warell Dane(Nevermore)
James Labrie(Dream Theater)
Peter Steele(Type O Negative)
Layne Staley(Alice In Chains)
Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
Ronnie James Dio(Rainbow,Black Sabbath,Dio,Heaven & Hell)
King Diamond(King Diamond/ Mercyful Fate)
Jon Oliva(Savatage,Jon Olivas Pain)
Brain Fair(Shadows Fall)
Geddy Lee(Rush)

Burton C Bell(Fear Factory)
Randy Blythe( Lamb Of God
Tarja Turunen(Ex Nightwish)
Tony Martin(Black Sabbath)
Sharon Den Adel(Within Temptation)
Matt Barlow(Iced Earth)
Cristina Scabbia(Lacuna Coil)
Anders Fridén(In Flames)
Bobby Ellsworth(Overkill)
Joey Belladonna(Anthrax)
Myles Kennedy(Alter Bridge)
Danzig(Danzig)
Geoff Tate(Queensryche)
Mike Patton(Faith No More)
Rob Halford(Judas Priest,Halford)
Phil Anselmo(Pantera,Down)
Axl Rose(Guns N' Roses)
Dave Mustaine(Megadeth)
Zachary Stevens(Savatage, Circle II Circle)
Corey Taylor(Slipknot,Stone Sour)
Serj(System Of A Down)

Guitars
Jeff Loomis(Nevermore)
Tony Ioomi(Black Sabbath)
John Petrucci(Dream Theater)
Alex Lifeson(Rush)
Adrian Smith/Dave Murray(Iron Maiden)
Kirk Hammet(Metallica)
James Hetfeild(Metallica)
Dave Mustaine(Megadeth)
Willie Adler (Lamb Of God)
Dimebag Darrell(Pantera)
Jimmy Page(Led Zeppelin)
Eddie Van Halen(Van Halen)
Alexi Lahio(Children Of Bodom)

goregutsbleed
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
singers
johny davy(job for a cowboy)
M. shadows(avenged sevenfold)
tom araya(slayer)
ronnie james dio(heaven & hell,black sabbath)
ozzy osbourne(black sabbath)
johny plague(winds of plague)
mitch lucker(suicide silence)
george corpsgrinder fisher(cannibal corspe)
rob halford(judas priest,halford)
lemmy kilmster(motorhead)
bruce dickinson(iron maiden)
Phil Anselmo(pantera,down,superjoint ritual)
Cristina Scabbia(lacuna coil)
james hetfield(metallica)
dave mustain(megadeth)
maria brink(in this moment)
Brian Fair(shadows fall)
rob zombie(rob zombie,white zombie)
alice cooper
Marilyn Manson
glen benton(deicide)
Dani Filth(cradle of filth)
Shagrath(dimmu borgir)
king diamond(king diamond,mercyful fate)

Guitarts players
kerry king(slayer)
jeff hannemm(slayer)
kirk hammet(metallica)
Tony Iommi(black sabbath,heaven and hell)

those are the only guitarist i like

Maiden33
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Guitarts players
kerry king(slayer)
jeff hannemm(slayer)
kirk hammet(metallica)

Life must suck pretty hard then.

Indestructible
01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Guitarts players
kerry king(slayer)
jeff hannemm(slayer)
kirk hammet(metallica)

Are those the only guitar players that blew you away and you think they are execelent at what they do? You have to like more guitar players in the world than just those four, if you only like those four it must be hard listening to other metal bands.

goregutsbleed
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Are those the only guitar players that blew you away and you think they are execelent at what they do? You have to like more guitar players in the world than just those four, if you only like those four it must be hard listening to other metal bands.

they didnt blow me away i listen to alot of metal bands i just didnt feel like writing about 20 more guitarist i love

goregutsbleed
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
singers
johny davy(job for a cowboy)
M. shadows(avenged sevenfold)
tom araya(slayer)
ronnie james dio(heaven & hell,black sabbath)
ozzy osbourne(black sabbath)
johny plague(winds of plague)
mitch lucker(suicide silence)
george corpsgrinder fisher(cannibal corspe)
rob halford(judas priest,halford)
lemmy kilmster(motorhead)
bruce dickinson(iron maiden)
Phil Anselmo(pantera,down,superjoint ritual)
Cristina Scabbia(lacuna coil)
james hetfield(metallica)
dave mustain(megadeth)
maria brink(in this moment)
Brian Fair(shadows fall)
rob zombie(rob zombie,white zombie)
alice cooper
Marilyn Manson
glen benton(deicide)
Dani Filth(cradle of filth)
Shagrath(dimmu borgir)
king diamond(king diamond,mercyful fate)
randy blythe(lamb of god)

Guitarts players
kerry king(slayer)
jeff hannemm(slayer)
kirk hammet(metallica)
Eric Hoffman(Deicide)
Synyster Gates(Avenged Sevenfold)
Mark Morton(Lamb of God)
Chris Amott(Arch Enemy)
Nergal(Behemoth)
Alexi Laiho(Children OF Bodom)
John 5(Rob Zombie, Marylin Manson, solo)
Zakk Wylde(Ozzy, Black Label Society)
Andy LaRocque(King Diamond, Death)
Ben Savage(whitechapel)
Euronymous(mayhem)
Galder(dimmu borgir)
Willie Adler(lamb of god)
Olavi Mikkonen(amon amarth)
Johan Söderberg(amon amarth)

this an update from my last post my last post i just named a few guitarist and a bunch of singers ive added one more singer