PDA

View Full Version : Goatwhore -- Springfield, VA -- January 25th, 2010

BrutalN00dle
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
This was the VA stop of the Devildriver tour with Suffocation, Goatwhore, and Thy Will Be Done. I really only wanted to see Goatwhore, and Suffocation, since I only having a passing interest in DevilDriver.

Thy Will Be Done was better than I thought they'd be. Just hearing the name I thought they'd be a coookie-cutter deathcore band, but when they started playing, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a mix of Kataklysm and Cannibal Corpse, whether or not their songs will hold up to later listening remains to be seen.

Then Goatwhore :rocker: I fucking love this band, and see them whenever they're in the region, and they don't disappoint. They got on stage and rocked the fuck out.

http://i.imgur.com/EqAUF.jpg

I like Suffocation, but didn't want to have to hold on to the rail to try and grab one of their setlists, but I do know that they played Suspended in Tribulation as their 3rd song. The singer is a great frontman, and has great inter-song banter, and the band was precise and brutal.

I left before Devildriver, so it's up to somebody else to post their setlist.

In summary, Goatwhore rules.

idrinkwine732
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Holy humongous picture batman

BrutalN00dle
01-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Small photos are unmetal :P

Epidemic Reign
01-26-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm personally not too impressed with this Goatwhore setlist... I think A Haunting Curse is their best work so far and it's a bit disappointing to see they're only pulling out one song off of the album for this tour, although they've graciously played tracks off of that album on recent tours. Five tracks off of the most recent album is too many for my taste. I have little right to complain, however, as the tour didn't even roll through my town. I caught the Milwaukee show's webcast online.

Suffocation's set for the tour is excellent, however. Liege of Inveracity, Infecting the Crypts, Pierced from Within, wonderful choices :party: it's to be expected I suppose, after being around for 20+ years a band's got to have a grip on what their fans want to hear.

BrutalN00dle
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for Invert the Virgin, which they usually play, and perhaps My Eyes are the Spears of Chaos.

jhdeity
01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I had a great time at this show. I just hate Jaxx as a venue. You can only drink in designated places and there are drink nazi's everywhere. The vote for pedro looking dude "guarding" the pit was priceless. They're video nazis there also. Stopping anyone in the drinking area from recording but too scared to go into the pit and stop those people.

They Will Be Done killed it. I gave them shit for spending too much time giving props to the other bands rather than playing another song though. They hung out all night meeting people are are very cool guys. This is their 1st tour ever and the guys said Jaxx gave them a $20 per diem so they had to choose to eat that day or drink that night. They chose to eat and were basically begging for beers. That really sucks. Jaxx gets beers for what .25 each and can't even give free beer to the bands?

Goatwhore were bad ass. The highlight of the night was Apocalyptic Havok by a mile but the song leading up to it was the lowlight. What a boring ass song live. I saw some girls leaving the room and grabbed them and told them the next song is going to kill but after 3 more snooze filled minutes they left and missed the highlight of the night. Maybe it's just me but Goatwhore's fast songs are incredible but their slower stuff is just boring and repetitious.

Devildriver were better than I expected. The girl I was with isn't into them at all and kept hounding me to leave so I caught about half of the set. It was the same as we've seen posted. Overall a great time hanging with TWBD and meeting the guys from Goatwhore. More chicks than I would have expected and a great ride home listening to local bands. If you get a chance to check out Beaten Back to Pure I highly recommend doing it. Incredible heavy Doom/Sludge from VA.

BrutalN00dle
01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
There were more chicks than usual yes, but I don't think any of them were really into the bands before DevilDriver, a girl behind me kept shrieking and jumping up and down like a fucking twat, and another girl kept saying in a weird nasally voice "gimme a beer", which kind of killed it for me, I left the rail after the first song by Suffocation just because of the annoying girls.

On Jaxx, I'm 18 so I don't have to deal with the drink guards or anything; but there's been a big change since the renovation. I feel that they're trying to be a more "proper" venue, by cracking down on everything like cameras, though they are getting some absolutely killer shows coming up, so I'll suffer through their bullshit for Kreator, Nile, OverKill, and a potential Cannibal Corpse show.

If anybody has Suffocation's setlist it would be much appreciated.

JuuKun
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
This is their 1st tour ever

No, it isn't. They toured with Hatebreed in 07, Dying Fetus in 08, and Thrash & Burn last year (those are the ones I can remember, anyway).

the chewbacca defense
01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
No, it isn't. They toured with Hatebreed in 07, Dying Fetus in 08, and Thrash & Burn last year (those are the ones I can remember, anyway).

they also toured w/FFDP i think (the tour with ITM and BYD) and they opened for Threat Signal, The Agonist and Flatline

jhdeity
01-27-2010, 05:29 AM
Oh maybe it was the guitarist Chris' 1st tour then. He said he wasn't on the 1st cd. Dude shreds though. I enjoyed his solos as much as anyones that night.

I met the owner and talked with him for a little bit. He's the Rod Stewart looking guy. He said it's become a latin club with metal shows basically, if I heard him right. Normally when a club does that it's the beginning of the end.... aka Thunderdome.

What sucks is how they treat the over 21 crowd. Having to only stand in that little area in the back to drink is idiotic. He said it's so people don't give drinks to underage kids but with so many drink nazis there why not just police it like other clubs do?

The sound there is good but other than that it's one of the worst places I've ever watched a show. In reality the concert hall isn't much bigger than Ottobar.

IrritatedTrout
01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
I didn't go to this show but I just wanted to comment on the current Jaxx situation.

Ever since the first time I saw a show at Jaxx (Candlemass in May 08) it has been my favorite club-sized venue. The staff, in my experience, is always relaxed and the rules are lax too, you can get right next to the bands because of the lack of photo pit and the super small and low stage, parking is free, and you don't have to deal with all the hassles of going into the city. Not to mention it's pretty easy to meet the bands there if you want to.

Unfortunately, all I've heard is bad things about the club since the renovation. I haven't been there since last May so I haven't seen it for myself yet. I have heard that the club looks dreadful now (something about it being all orange?), they've apparently stepped up the rules, and it just seems like the owners want to distance themselves from heavy metal in general. Something tells me this latin thing will be the death of the club as a metal venue. They've been on a decline for awhile now anyways IMO. They keep missing a bunch of good shows (ones that would fit the club perfectly). The upcoming Mayhem show is a perfect example, how the hell did the biggest hipster club in the DC-Baltimore area end up getting a legendary black metal band but Jaxx didn't?

b1indedbyfear
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
When did they remodel and what did they do? I havent been there since early last year, but the drinking section has always been like that.

jhdeity
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
The entire place looks like a mexican restaurant. It's all orange and green. When I went there for Testament (the 1st time) I carried my beers right onto the floor and no one stopped me. After drinking a few I had a guy tell me you couldn't drink down there but I went and got another and walked right down there. They are scared to death of the pit there. You could literally be fucking a girl in the pit and they wouldn't stop you. Everything you can't do upstairs you can do in the pit because they're literally scaared to go down there from what I saw. I saw tons of people taking video of Devildriver in the pit but someone taking still pics up top was told to stop. Just stupid shit.

I totally agree it's the best place to meet bands but it's because they allow smoking in the club. Half of Goatwhore and all of TWBD were in the smoking area the entire night. Towards the end it was a fog of smoke just to get through there. Still worth it but annoying that they don't have a better venelation system. I'll probably miss it when it's gone but if it's still here this time next year I'll be shocked.

Chyck
01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
The entire place looks like a mexican restaurant. It's all orange and green.

Hey... orange and green is, uh, metal?

When I went there for Testament (the 1st time) I carried my beers right onto the floor and no one stopped me. After drinking a few I had a guy tell me you couldn't drink down there but I went and got another and walked right down there. They are scared to death of the pit there. You could literally be fucking a girl in the pit and they wouldn't stop you. Everything you can't do upstairs you can do in the pit because they're literally scared to go down there from what I saw.

So... what you're saying is that security likes to bitch, but that they don't actually do anything about it. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

mastodon421
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I've seen Thy Will Be Done 4 times. They are pretty good and really cool dudes. On the topic of it being their tour it is not. They did Thrash and Burn over the summer and they have toured with Hatebreed and a couple of other bands.

b1indedbyfear
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey... orange and green is, uh, metal?

So... what you're saying is that security likes to bitch, but that they don't actually do anything about it. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

I have been going to Jaxx since i was 16 and have been there atleast 30+ times and the security there loves to bitch. None of them are intimidating or ever do anything. I think i have seen 2 people thrown out of that place ever and they was hardcore kids fist fighting and 1 of them got back in later. They have never let beer on the floor but I always slipped through and they just told me to finish it or go back up, never any trouble though. I giuess I will see the new Jaxx at the Kreator and Overkill shows. I wish there was a venue in Richmond that the metal tour jaxx gets.

the chewbacca defense
01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh maybe it was the guitarist Chris' 1st tour then. He said he wasn't on the 1st cd. Dude shreds though. I enjoyed his solos as much as anyones that night.

I met the owner and talked with him for a little bit. He's the Rod Stewart looking guy. He said it's become a latin club with metal shows basically, if I heard him right. Normally when a club does that it's the beginning of the end.... aka Thunderdome.

What sucks is how they treat the over 21 crowd. Having to only stand in that little area in the back to drink is idiotic. He said it's so people don't give drinks to underage kids but with so many drink nazis there why not just police it like other clubs do?

The sound there is good but other than that it's one of the worst places I've ever watched a show. In reality the concert hall isn't much bigger than Ottobar.
once the main headlining band gets on, the stage is actually quite large imo. when i saw heathenfest, Eluveitie there, they had no problems moving around and what not, and thats 8 members

jhdeity
01-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Yeah I had fake id when I was 16 years old so I've never NOT drank at a show unless you count Rush opening for Kiss when I was 10. Concerts are a place to unwind and go apeshit for me. Penalizing people for paying $4.50 for a beer is horrific business. I'll be at Overkill with this chick thats interviewing Blitz for a local cable access show so Jaxx will get my cash a few more times but I still think it's an idiotic set up and will be closed this time next year.

Megadeth, Testament and Exodus at Rams Head = WIN!

the chewbacca defense
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah I had fake id when I was 16 years old so I've never NOT drank at a show unless you count Rush opening for Kiss when I was 10. Concerts are a place to unwind and go apeshit for me. Penalizing people for paying $4.50 for a beer is horrific business. I'll be at Overkill with this chick thats interviewing Blitz for a local cable access show so Jaxx will get my cash a few more times but I still think it's an idiotic set up and will be closed this time next year.

Megadeth, Testament and Exodus at Rams Head = WIN!

DEP, Darkest Hour and IWABO at the Ottobar = BIGGER WIN!

you still goin to Shadows Fall next week? i will def be gthere

jhdeity
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
DEP, Darkest Hour and IWABO at the Ottobar = BIGGER WIN!

you still goin to Shadows Fall next week? i will def be gthere

Yeah I'll be there. I was thinking about checking out that Ottobar show and BTBAM show now too. It's so cool to have options. Just sucks teh BTBAM show is a Monday night.

the chewbacca defense
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah I'll be there. I was thinking about checking out that Ottobar show and BTBAM show now too. It's so cool to have options. Just sucks teh BTBAM show is a Monday night.

which ottobar show, the metal as art show (which isn't there, its at a place called the sidebar) or the WOP/Despised Icon tour

jhdeity
01-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Yeah the chick I know from RnR TV is interviewing Despised Icon it just sucks it's the night before Shadows Fall. Not sure my liver can take that much damage in a week and survive. hahaha

Ottobar is really stepping up. I just saw that Coalesce show posted too. Might have to pencil that one in also