PDA

View Full Version : Scion Rock Fest Roll Call!

DethMaiden
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Okay, that other thread is going to become unmanageable in terms of figuring out a meet-up, so I figure this is as good a way as any to work that stuff out.

3/13, Cbus. Who's in?

mankvill
01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Be sure to tell me how it is while I'm seeing Black Dahlia Murder, Obscura and Augury.

ChildrenofSodom
01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
EVERYONE CAN CRASH ON MY FLOOR!

Natrlhi
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
EVERYONE CAN CRASH ON MY FLOOR!Be careful what you offer up - I'm bringing over a thousand pounds of mother fuckers - and at least one of 'em snores almost as loud as some of those bands will be playing that night.

But wait - we'll all have our ear plugs at the ready from the show - so no worries, then. :D

YOU'RE BUYING THE BEER!!!

(Just kidding - three of us don't even drink anymore, and the other guy is a lightweight. ;))

ChildrenofSodom
01-26-2010, 06:31 AM
YOU'RE BUYING THE BEER!!!

(Just kidding - three of us don't even drink anymore, and the other guy is a lightweight. ;))

My dorm room is barely big enough for me and my roommate, so.....Looks like the van will have to do for you guys.

And maybe you can pick some beer up for me after the show. I'll give you the cash.

Natrlhi
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
My dorm room is barely big enough for me and my roommate, so.....Looks like the van will have to do for you guys./COLOR]

Oh, no - you made the offer - we're crashin'. ;)

Chyck
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm coming but do not need a place to crash, as I have my cousin's sweet sweet couch for whenever I decide to actually go to sleep. I'll be arriving in the area sometime on Friday.

I'm also happy to procure beer for all... for a tip

ChildrenofSodom
01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
:party::rocker::drool::realchug:

Chyck
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey guys -

Since I'm not actually going to see my ticket / schedule until the 12th, could someone post the info as to what bands are playing where and when?

Thanks in advance!

DethMaiden
02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey guys -

Since I'm not actually going to see my ticket / schedule until the 12th, could someone post the info as to what bands are playing where and when?

Thanks in advance!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2646/86461110.jpg

This surfaced on the Web, but it's slightly different than the handbill. The advantage of this, however, is that the handbill doesn't have set lengths, only anticipated start times. Let me know if you want to know any of the info off of there though.

Chyck
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
This surfaced on the Web, but it's slightly different than the handbill. The advantage of this, however, is that the handbill doesn't have set lengths, only anticipated start times. Let me know if you want to know any of the info off of there though.

Thanks... I totally didn't notice that mankiller posted this yesterday :tp:.

What's different? Just the times?

And I could kill that 3IOB and Accrassicauida are at the exact same time. In fact, looking at the setup, this is going to be a big debate between seeing bands that I know I love and will probably see again vs bands that I might not usually get a chance to check out.

Natrlhi
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks... I totally didn't notice that mankiller posted this yesterday :tp:.

And I could kill that 3IOB and Accrassicauida are at the exact same time. In fact, looking at the setup, this is going to be a big debate between seeing bands that I know I love and will probably see again vs bands that I might not usually get a chance to check out.
This. Only I don't care about the 3IOB / Acrassicauda conflict. I have other fish to fry - namely, Ludicra and Voivod. What the fuck is up with that shit? Also, I'm not too happy about the Shrinebuilder / Cannibal Corpse conflict either.

Holy schedule conflicts, Batman. This is going to suck. :bouville:

I'll get back to y'all with some thoughts on what I might wanna do with regards to this fucked up schedule.

Chyck
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
This. Only I don't care about the 3IOB / Acrassicauda conflict. I have other fish to fry - namely, Ludicra and Voivod. What the fuck is up with that shit? Also, I'm not too happy about the Shrinebuilder / Cannibal Corpse conflict either.

Go see Voivod at that 3/10 show if you're able. Crisis avoided. That being said, I'm seeing them 3/5 and may do it again for Scion :bliss:

As for the other? I remember you saying you haven't seen CC. My personal opinion is that everyone needs to see them live some time. Not sure if they're coming your way during their April/May tour to avoid that crisis...

The next time I'll be able to see 3IOB is during Mayhem Fest :eek:... and Acrassicauda? Probably never :bouville:

DethMaiden
02-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Yeah, but only slightly and only for some of them.

And I think I'm going to come to a conclusion about who to see by the end of the night. Hint: Cannibal Corpse are headlining with 1349 and Skeletontits a month later, so I might get to see a shrine be built. :D

Natrlhi
02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Go see Voivod at that 3/10 show if you're able. Crisis avoided. That being said, I'm seeing them 3/5 and may do it again for Scion :bliss:That's the plan, but I'm married with children and have to plan my extracurriculars very carefully. Scion may have superseded that show, which has been in my sig since a while ago (before Scion was announced). Hopefully, I'll get do go to both. :snivel:

As for the other? I remember you saying you haven't seen CC. My personal opinion is that everyone needs to see them live some time. Not sure if they're coming your way during their April/May tour to avoid that crisis...The CC tour isn't coming near me. I pretty much agree with you, but I'm concerned that a project such as Shrinebuilder might not stay together all that long. Those guys all have other gigs, and it's just my luck that not jumping on a chance to see groups like this will result in my never getting to see them at all (Old Man Gloom).

The next time I'll be able to see 3IOB is during Mayhem Fest :eek:... and Acrassicauda? Probably never :bouville:Yeah, I think my vote is for Acrassicauda as well.

---

Right now, it looks like I might want to do:

5:00 - 5:40 Landmine Marathon @ Newport
6:00 - 6:40 Struck by Lightning @ Skully's (pissed I have to miss Lightning Swords of Death, but they are coming to Cleveland on 4/6, so...)
7:00 - 7:40 Acrassicauda @ Skully's
8:20 - 9:00 Trap Them @ Circus (because I've seen Pelican three times in the last two years or so)
9:00 - 9:40 Voivod @ Newport (might change my mind and see Ludicra, though - if I can see Voivod in Cleveland on 3/10)
10:00 - 11:00 Cannibal Corpse @ Newport

DethMaiden
02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

6:00 - 6:40 Struck by Lightning @ Skully's (pissed I have to miss Lightning Swords of Death, but they are coming to Cleveland on 4/6, so...)
8:20 - 9:00 Trap Them @ Circus (because I've seen Pelican three times in the last two years or so)
9:00 - 9:40 Voivod @ Newport (might change my mind and see Ludicra, though - if I can see Voivod in Cleveland on 3/10)

I'm with you for the first two, and I'm pretty sure Cameron is too. We can all walk from Newport to Skully's together. :rocker:

EDIT: I'm kind of thinking after Landmine Marathon I'm just gonna motor it to Skully's and stay there the rest of the night. Acrassicauda, like it's been mentioned, may never be in Columbus again and I've seen 3IOB twice, Pelican are badass live and I don't listen to D.R.I., YOB are cool enough and I don't know my shit on Voivod to justify walking back, and I'm going to see Cannibal Corpse in April so Shrinebuilder are a better call there too. Damn. Skully's wins. :party:

Chyck
02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Don't forget that Newport is on 13th and Skully's is on 4th. Unless you're 7' tall, you may have to haul ass to get to everything. I'm hoping to find the yellow brick road through this thing that won't have me missing half of my intended band's sets and trying to see from the back.

On that note, who's got venue details? Are they all bar setups or do some of the places have higher "stadium" spots to watch from?

DethMaiden
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't forget that Newport is on 13th and Skully's is on 4th. Unless you're 7' tall, you may have to haul ass to get to everything. I'm hoping to find the yellow brick road through this thing that won't have me missing half of my intended band's sets and trying to see from the back.

On that note, who's got venue details? Are they all bar setups or do some of the places have higher "stadium" spots to watch from?

Having personally been to Newport and the Circus, I can say that Newport is your standard rock club with a high stage, a metal railing, and a thousand person floor and balcony, and the Circus is a bar with a capacity around 100 and a low, karaoke-style stage.

Cameron's been to Skully's, so ask him about that.

idrinkwine732
02-21-2010, 07:58 PM

You seen them before? They were ace when I saw them in October.

ChildrenofSodom
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM

The #2 COTA bus runs up and down High Street, so a few bucks would go a long way. (I ride for free. :D)

Skully's is a bar with a big open space, 200 capacity maybe, with a slightly raised stage, no rail.

Natrlhi
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
You seen them before? They were ace when I saw them in October.

I haven't, but I've been wanting to for a while now. That why their asses are on the list. :fist:

Speaking of the list, I guess I have to re-tool that bad boy a bit for the actual start times I have listed on this handbill my buddy got when he picked up his wristband (they didn't have any at the record store I went to...:flame:). So, here is what my tentative "plan" looks like as of now:

6:20 - 7:00 (?) Struck by Lightning @ Skully's (pissed I have to miss Lightning Swords of Death, but they are coming to Cleveland on 4/6, so...)
7:40 - 8:10 (?) Acrassicauda @ Skully's <--- This is no longer going to work, because I don't want to miss Trap Them if I can help it... :flame:
7:50 - 8:30 (?) Trap Them @ Circus (because I've seen Pelican three times in the last two years or so)
9:15 - 10:00 (?) Ludicra @ Bernie's? (I might be able to see both them and Voivod now! Yay, me! I might have to leave early, though...)
9:45 - 10:30 (?) Voivod @ Newport (I might get to see Ludicra's full set if I can see Voivod in Cleveland on 3/10)
11:00 - 12:00 (?) Cannibal Corpse @ Newport (which I might leave early in order to make it to...)
11:30 - 12:30 (?) Shrinebuilder @ Skully's!

So Acrassicauda is out for sure, and Cannibal Corpse might get clipped in lieu of Shrinebuilder. Maybe. I guess I can live with that, since this mother fucker is FREE anyway. :shrugs:

mankvill
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
If it was any other band than Shrinebuilder, I'd scream for you all to see Absu

Chyck
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Speaking of the list, I guess I have to re-tool that bad boy a bit for the actual start times I have listed on this handbill

Got time to post the real set times? Pretty please?

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Got time to post the real set times? Pretty please?

Because I let you down. :snivel:

Chyck
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Because I let you down. :snivel:

I still lurve you.

But I'll lurve whoever posts the times first the most :D

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I still lurve you.

I'll be by a scanner on Friday. If they aren't up by then, I'll scan the handbill. But that's a lot of shit to type. :D

Chyck
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I'll be by a scanner on Friday. If they aren't up by then, I'll scan the handbill. But that's a lot of shit to type. :D

:) Fair enough - that'll give me a week to make my final decisions

Natrlhi
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I still lurve you.

Bernie’s Distillery
(1896 N. High St. – 21+)
5:20 Lullabye Arkestra
6:10 Lightning Swords of Death
7:00 Liturgy
8:00 Black Anvil
9:15 Ludicra
10:30 Absu

Newport Music Hall
(1772 N. High St. – All Ages)
5:00 Landmine Marathon
6:00 Hate Eternal
7:15 3 Inches of Blood
8:30 D.R.I.
9:45 Voivod
11:00 Cannibal Corpse

Circus
(1227 N. High St. – 18+)
5:10 Deadsea
6:00 Saviours
6:50 Thou
7:50 Trap Them
9:00 Magrudergrind
10:00 Brutal Truth

Skully’s
(1151 N. High St. – 18+)
5:30 Black Tusk
6:20 Struck by Lightning
7:30 Acrassicauda
8:40 Pelican
9:55 YOB
11:30 Shrinebuilder

Chyck
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Tell your wife to watch out, Natty! ;)

This is awesome news, because now I can see Absu and still catch a bit of Shrinebuilder (assuming Absu's set is as long as everyone else's)

Also, did they definitely switch Liturgy and Black Anvil from the previous rough list?

DethMaiden
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Tell your wife to watch out, Natty! ;)

This is awesome news, because now I can see Absu and still catch a bit of Shrinebuilder (assuming Absu's set is as long as everyone else's)

Also, did they definitely switch Liturgy and Black Anvil from the previous rough list?

What Nat posted is indeed what is on the official handbill being distributed by the Fest. So gush, girl. Who you gonna see? :bliss:

Chyck
03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
What Nat posted is indeed what is on the official handbill being distributed by the Fest. So gush, girl. Who you gonna see? :bliss:

I will gush, thankyouverymuch

5:00 / 5:30: Black Tusk @ Skully's vs Landmine Marathon @ Newport
I'd intended to go to Black Tusk just to grab a spot in the front for the later sets, but ya'll keep saying Landmine Marathon is great. I know nothing about either. We shall see.

6:20 Struck by Lightning @ Skully's
7:30 Acrassicauda @ Skully's

9:15 Ludicra @ Bernie's
10:30 Absu @ Bernie's

11:30 Shrinebuilder @ Skully's
... or at least whatever I catch of their set.

In the end, Acrassicauda > 3IOB due to the fact that I might not get to see them again, 3IOB is playing Mayhem Fest (which ~sighs~ I'll probably go to now), and I've heard that 3IOB isn't so great live any more :(.

Also, my intended list isn't nearly as long as everyone else's because I'm buffering time to sneak my way up to the front of the crowds. The front is the only place to be!

mastodon421
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I would for sure check out Landmine. They absolutey kill live and overall are one of the most brutal bands in metal today.

mankvill
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
10:30 Absu @ Bernie's

:lovedup:

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
So....we need to make sure all us badasses get to meet before the night is over. Best way to establish that?

DethMaiden
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
So....we need to make sure all us badasses get to meet before the night is over. Best way to establish that?

Some restaurant that's still open after Shrinebuilder finishes? (seems like everyone's gonna be seeing them and they are the last band to go on of the night)

Chyck
03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Some restaurant that's still open after Shrinebuilder finishes? (seems like everyone's gonna be seeing them and they are the last band to go on of the night)

I'm cool with that - I always need munchies after shows. I volunteer to drive if we need to go somewhere... though Nat's van probably seats more (Mine can seat 4, squish 5, and we could shove a 6th in the trunk).

I'm also cool with meeting up with anyone that wants before the show and checking out this "Magnolia Thunderpussy" place. There isn't a single good place to purchase metal music around here... who thought I'd travel to Ohio to do that.

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm cool with that - I always need munchies after shows. I volunteer to drive if we need to go somewhere... though Nat's van probably seats more (Mine can seat 4, squish 5, and we could shove a 6th in the trunk).

I'm also cool with meeting up with anyone that wants before the show and checking out this "Magnolia Thunderpussy" place. There isn't a single good place to purchase metal music around here... who thought I'd travel to Ohio to do that.

Yeah, we can all grab some food afterwards....I don't know about any nice sit down places, but there is always fast food or a wings joint. And if people are coming into town a little early, we can all meet somewhere on High and walk to Magnolia Thunderpussy. It is attached to Skully's, so that is good.

Also...If you guys are planning on going from Skully's or The Circus down to Newport, I would suggest bringing a few bucks to ride the COTA bus. Driving and finding parking on High Street is a PAIN and the bus is a straight shot.

EDIT: Actually, Natty and Lynne, if you guys could give me your numbers, we could better coordinate pre and post show activities on the day of....:D

DethMaiden
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Public service announcement: I'll probably arrive in Columbus around noon that day, down for whatever.

Chyck
03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, we can all grab some food afterwards....I don't know about any nice sit down places, but there is always fast food or a wings joint.
How about a Denny's... or whatever Ohioans have that will give me gastrointestinal issues the next day.

And if people are coming into town a little early, we can all meet somewhere on High and walk to Magnolia Thunderpussy. It is attached to Skully's, so that is good.
Public service announcement: I'll probably arrive in Columbus around noon that day, down for whatever.

Could we all stand being in each others' presence without smilies for 5 hours? :D :rocker: :eyes:

Also...If you guys are planning on going from Skully's or The Circus down to Newport, I would suggest bringing a few bucks to ride the COTA bus. Driving and finding parking on High Street is a PAIN and the bus is a straight shot.
Good point - where can one park without getting towed, breaking the bank, and getting lost?

EDIT: Actually, Natty and Lynne, if you guys could give me your numbers, we could better coordinate pre and post show activities on the day of....:D

I sent it to you on facebook, though I don't know how much good it will do after the show. My phone is a brick and I never bring it into venues with me.

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Uh...Ohioans use Waffle Houses for their sickness-inducing after show eating...but there aren't many in Columbus...I'm sure we could hit the highway for a bit.

And for day-of parking, you're probably better off parking in an OSU garage if you are going to be around Bernie's or Newport (right across the street from a garage)....but there is a parking lot in between Skully's and Circus on High Street. Shady neighborhood though...so, beware.

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm also cool with meeting up with anyone that wants before the show and checking out this "Magnolia Thunderpussy" place. There isn't a single good place to purchase metal music around here... who thought I'd travel to Ohio to do that.This (specifically the highlighted parts). I will likely have room for 3 or 4 in the metal bus. ....and I'd like to check out the Thunderpussy joint.

Uh...Ohioans use Waffle Houses for their sickness-inducing after show eating...but there aren't many in Columbus...I'm sure we could hit the highway for a bit.

And for day-of parking, you're probably better off parking in an OSU garage if you are going to be around Bernie's or Newport (right across the street from a garage)....but there is a parking lot in between Skully's and Circus on High Street. Shady neighborhood though...so, beware.Again, this (specifically the highlighted parts). My buddy and I went to a Waffle House somewhere north of Cbus when we went to see Clutch at the Newport about a year ago...don't remember exactly where it was, but it wasn't too far out of town. Also, we parked in one of the OSU garages, and that worked out well. I plan on bringing bus money for the short trips between shows.

Chyck
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
This (specifically the highlighted parts). I will likely have room for 3 or 4 in the metal bus. ....and I'd like to check out the Thunderpussy joint.

You are so driving, my friend :D

My buddy and I went to a Waffle House somewhere north of Cbus when we went to see Clutch at the Newport about a year ago...don't remember exactly where it was, but it wasn't too far out of town. Also, we parked in one of the OSU garages, and that worked out well. I plan on bringing bus money for the short trips between shows.

1) Waffle house sounds tasty
2) How late does the bus run (aka: will I be able to grab it after Absu)
3) Natty - what's your ETA to the area?

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I would for sure check out Landmine. They absolutey kill live and overall are one of the most brutal bands in metal today.You ain't shittin' :cool:

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 08:05 PM
1) Waffle house sounds tasty
2) How late does the bus run (aka: will I be able to grab it after Absu)
3) Natty - what's your ETA to the area?

1) I dunno about gourmet action, but it's a good cheap way to load up on fat and carbs in the wee hours of the morning...just what a brotha (or sista) needs, eh?
2) dunno, ask local boy
3) dunno yet, prolly won't until the day of, since my brother prolly won't want to leave too early...I'm hopin' at least a few hours before showtime (maybe 3:00 ish? hopefully earlier?)

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately, the later it gets, the less frequently the bus comes. The #2, which runs right up and down High, stops around midnight....and for a few hours before it only comes every hour...so you would be better off walking through the Kro-ghetto (the stretch of High Street that runs by a Krogers and a ghetto.) The Nite Owl bus runs every half hour, but I don't know where it goes exactly. Some bus stops have numbers you can text to find out when they will be there....

Also, Natty....What the fuck is your real first name? I don't want to meet you and just call you Natty.

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately, the later it gets, the less frequently the bus comes. The #2, which runs right up and down High, stops around midnight....and for a few hours before it only comes every hour...so you would be better off walking through the Kro-ghetto (the stretch of High Street that runs by a Krogers and a ghetto.) The Nite Owl bus runs every half hour, but I don't know where it goes exactly. Some bus stops have numbers you can text to find out when they will be there....

Also, Natty....What the fuck is your real first name? I don't want to meet you and just call you Natty.I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :D

(I actually let it slip in a post a short time ago...I think Brad knows... :cool:)

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 09:02 PM

:lol: You're no fun.

It's Chris. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Alright, so....Cameron and Brad will be trying to find Lynne, who I have seen pictures of, as well as Chris and his band of merry men: appearance unknown (we will look for the walkers.)

Natrlhi
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
we will look for the walkers

You just fuck right off. ;)

Natrlhi
03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Who else is going to this? I know the five of us aren't the only ones who showed interest since the beginning...where are the rest of you guys? Let's put some faces to the screen names here, people! :D

idrinkwine732
03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
So much interest Nat, so much interest, but I can't go...

Natrlhi
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
So much interest Nat, so much interest, but I can't go...

If you start hitchhiking today... ;)

Natrlhi
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Having personally been to Newport and the Circus, I can say that Newport is your standard rock club with a high stage, a metal railing, and a thousand person floor and balcony, and the Circus is a bar with a capacity around 100 and a low, karaoke-style stage.

Skully's is a bar with a big open space, 200 capacity maybe, with a slightly raised stage, no rail.
Let's talk about the venues here for a minute. First off, I've been to Newport, and it's plenty big - so that place is outside the scope of this discussion - but as far as the rest of the venues, I've been hearing there may be capacity issues and even a chance of being turned away if joints get too packed.

I was talking to my cousin last night about this, and he was thinking about going, but can't make it. Anyway, he knows some people who live in the area, and was going to stay with them, but when he started asking questions about the venues he got concerned about some of the things he heard about a few of the smaller joints. Apparently, one of the places has like an eight-foot ceiling or something...sounds almost like a basement to me. Another place (or maybe the same one - I don't remember) supposedly has no stage. The stage is simply the floor itself.

Now don't get me wrong - I've been to places like that before, and they're fine for certain types of events, but let's also remember that this thing is being nationally promoted, and it's FREE. Granted, people can't come waltzing in off the street without a wristband (at least not if security at the various venues is doing their job, which is an assumption that's not necessarily a slam-dunk, either), but I've heard that the average number of tickets sent to the record stores that handed them out and such was around 200 apiece, and there were easily a dozen or more locations distributing wristbands.

This means that there could be a couple thousand people looking to get into these shows. From what I remember about Newport, that might not be a problem, but for some of the smaller joints, I wonder.

All of the above is probably not going to change a damn thing regarding my plans, but I was just wondering how the above will affect some of the shows I want to see. Any thoughts from the locals (that's you, Cameron ;))?

DethMaiden
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I was concerned about that too. It's why I'm not doing any venue hopping once I settle in at Skully's. I don't know if you're going to be able to switch venues more than once or twice and get in.

Chyck
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I do know that the event is 100% sold out, but not how many tickets that meant. I'll ask my cousin about Bernie's when I get to Columbus... of course, I might be the only one going there, so it might not matter, anyway ;)

Also, did we ever determine what vague time we're gathering at Thunderpussy?

mankvill
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I do know that the event is 100% sold out, but not how many tickets that meant. I'll ask my cousin about Bernie's when I get to Columbus... of course, I might be the only one going there, so it might not matter, anyway ;)

Also, did we ever determine what vague time we're gathering at Thunderpussy?

Be sure to take MetalSetlists.com Meet-Up Pix and someone hold up a Jayhawk for me

ChildrenofSodom
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I have never been to Bernies, but The Circus is just a bar with a wide open floor. Not real stage (maybe a foot tall portable platform.) The ceiling is low, but not 8 feet. The Circus will be the hardest to get into, because it is small, but Skully's can hold a few thousand, and all the big names will be at big ole Newport.

ChildrenofSodom
03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Be sure to take MetalSetlists.com Meet-Up Pix and someone hold up a Jayhawk for me
I didn't want to be the one to propose it, but I definitely think 'pix or it didn't happen' is in order.

Chyck
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I didn't want to be the one to propose it, but I definitely think 'pix or it didn't happen' is in order.

Puh-leeze... I bring my camera to every freakin' show anyway. This was going to happen whether ya'll wanted it to or not.

DethMaiden
03-09-2010, 05:57 PM
So here's what I'm doing now: going to Skully's before the show starts and staying there all night. I'm way too nervous about a) missing some of Struck By Lightning's set, and much more importantly, b) not getting in because of the capacity issues.

Look at Scion Rock Fest as not a festival but four free metal concerts going on in the same city at the same time. You would be content to go to one free metal concert, so that's basically what I'm doing.

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Can we agree on, say, 4:00 or 4:30 to meet at Thunderpussy? That gives plenty of time to look around, meet and greet, and get to our respective starting venues by 5:30.

Natrlhi
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
So here's what I'm doing now: going to Skully's before the show starts and staying there all night. I'm way too nervous about a) missing some of Struck By Lightning's set, and much more importantly, b) not getting in because of the capacity issues.
Well, that is certainly the safest bet you can make, so I understand your thought process. I can't get on board with it for myself, but I understand it. ;)

Seriously, though, I've been thinking a lot about this issue, and I think I'm going to try and come up with a plan that minimizes on venue hopping. Still, I'm not going to be driving all the way down there for this thing and not see at least some of the bands that are playing at Skully's and Newport.

The Circus is just a bar with a wide open floor. Not real stage (maybe a foot tall portable platform.) The ceiling is low, but not 8 feet. The Circus will be the hardest to get into, because it is small, but Skully's can hold a few thousand, and all the big names will be at big ole Newport.The only band I really want to see at Bernie's is Trap Them, but if I don't get in because of capacity issues or if I do get in and it's a sardine fest, I can miss them and see 'em another time. Like I said, Newport and Skully's are where it's at for me. I also want to see Ludicra really badly, but I might be shitcanning that idea because of Voivod anyway, since I can't see them in Cleveland tonight. :mad:

I do know that the event is 100% sold out, but not how many tickets that meant. I'll ask my cousin about Bernie's when I get to Columbus... of course, I might be the only one going there, so it might not matter, anyway ;)If you're talking about going to Bernie's to see Ludicra, I could be talked into it if you make a really good argument (see above)... :snivel: ;)

Also, did we ever determine what vague time we're gathering at Thunderpussy?I don't know about you guys, but I should be getting into the area around 4:00. The only things I want to do pre-show (that show being Landmine Marathon at 5:00) is get something to eat, check out a decent record store for about twenty or thirty minutes, and pose for the metalsetlists.com meet-up photo :D, and I'm thinking we can do all of the above between Thunderpussy and the Chipotle which is attached to the Newport. :rocker:

DethMaiden
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Eesh, you can only do 4 PM? If that's all you can do that's fine but if we want to eat AND browse Magnolia Thunderpussy earlier might be better. I'm down with doing one or both and you guys can totally dictate that since I'll be getting into town around noon.

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Okay....uh...Brad and I are going to be starting at Skullys, which is attached to Thunderpussy. Sounds like Natty is starting at Newport, which is attached to Chipotle. I don't know where Lynne is going to start...

But if everyone wants to eat at Chipotle AND go to Thunderpussy (Thunderpussy is a must, independent of what happens with Chipotle) then the logistics are going to be a little hazy. If we meet at Chipotle and then bus to Thunderpussy, Natty is going to have to come all the way back to get to Newport. If we go to Thunderpussy first, then Brad and I will have to bus back to Skullys after Chipotle.

WHY DIDNT COLUMBUS BUILD ALL OF ITS VENUES NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!!

Natrlhi
03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Eesh, you can only do 4 PM?It's a long story, and not one which I want to discuss publicly. Let's just say I'm not thrilled, but I compromised. I can probably make it by 3:30 if I push it.

Okay....uh...Brad and I are going to be starting at SkullysI just got hip to the fact that Brad's plans had changed, but I didn't think about how this would affect the pre-show activities. It was simpler when we were all going to Newport first...the plan would have been The 'Pussy then The "Potle then Landmine. Now it's complicated.

I'm thinking the best way to make it work is to do the Pussy thing from like 3:30 to ~4:15, then leave for Chipotle, arrive around 4:30, grab a bite, and then part ways. We can head right into the Newport ('cuz we'll already be there, basically), and you guys can bus it back down to Skully's, since the first show doesn't start there until 5:30 anyway. Sound like a plan?

DethMaiden
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
It's a long story, and not one which I want to discuss publicly. Let's just say I'm not thrilled, but I compromised. I can probably make it by 3:30 if I push it.

I just got hip to the fact that Brad's plans had changed, but I didn't think about how this would affect the pre-show activities. It was simpler when we were all going to Newport first...the plan would have been The 'Pussy then The "Potle then Landmine. Now it's complicated.

I'm thinking the best way to make it work is to do the Pussy thing from like 3:30 to ~4:15, then leave for Chipotle, arrive around 4:30, grab a bite, and then part ways. We can head right into the Newport ('cuz we'll already be there, basically), and you guys can bus it back down to Skully's, since the first show doesn't start there until 5:30 anyway. Sound like a plan?

@ the first part, no worries man. Just giving you a hard time. I know you'd be there earlier if it were at all possible. 'Sall good. :allan:

@ the second part, probably won't need 45 minutes in the record store, getting us to the restaurant even earlier, and we probably won't need an hour to eat, so I'd say I'm not even gonna waste the bus money and just walk down to Skully's. :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
03-10-2010, 04:09 PM
@ the second part, probably won't need 45 minutes in the record store, getting us to the restaurant even earlier, and we probably won't need an hour to eat, so I'd say I'm not even gonna waste the bus money and just walk down to Skully's. :cool:

That is very plausible...although the walk through the Kro-Ghetto isn't fun. Anyway...I will probably eat before hand. If I eat Chipotle, chances are I will be looking for a bathroom between bands...:eyes:

DethMaiden
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
That is very plausible...although the walk through the Kro-Ghetto isn't fun. Anyway...I will probably eat before hand. If I eat Chipotle, chances are I will be looking for a bathroom between bands...:eyes:

Yeah, I dunno about eating Chipotle right before the gig either. :diarrhea:

Chyck
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm far more interested in Thunderpussy than food. I tend not to eat before shows 'cause I'm always worried I might hurl... hence why sustenance is key after the show.

As for my plans, I intend to be at Skully's for the first 3 bands, then head over to Bernie's in time for Ludicra and Absu.

Come onnnnn, Natty - you know you want to walk lil' ol' me over to Bernie's ;)... honestly, though, go to Voivod. They kicked ass last week :D.

DethMaiden
03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Natty, I think you're overruled on Chipotle. :snivel: We don't want to shit our pants/vomit.

mankvill
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Natty, I think you're overruled on Chipotle. :snivel: We don't want to shit our pants/vomit.

Fires of Sedition and I are going to IHOP on Saturday after The Black Dahlia Murder. Maybe that's where you all should go too!

DethMaiden
03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Fires of Sedition and I are going to IHOP on Saturday after The Black Dahlia Murder. Maybe that's where you all should go too!

One in north Cincy, none in the rest of the state that I know of. Maybe Nat knows some in the Cleveland area but they're just not that common here.

Natrlhi
03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

:lol: I think you drama queens are confusing Chipotle with Taco Bell.

Chipotle is just about the healthiest fast food on the planet, and it NEVER affects me that way in the least. Taco Bell does, White Castle DEFINITELY does - hell, even McDonalds does it to me (since I'm not used to eating that kind of crap), but Chipotle is just fine with my GI tract.

Anyway, no big deal on that issue. I really just hope we have a decent amount of time for the 'Pussy. :D (It's not vulgar because I capitalized it and used an apostrophe. ;))

One in north Cincy, none in the rest of the state that I know of. Maybe Nat knows some in the Cleveland area but they're just not that common here.

The closest IHOP to the fest is over a half hour away, so that's not going to happen. I agree with FIres and Manks, though - IHOP smokes Waffle House any day. Waffle House wracks my pipes something fierce, but IHOP is way mo betta quality food. (Sorry, Brad et al ;))

EDIT: There are tons of IHOP's in Northeast Ohio. :fist:

Chyck
03-11-2010, 07:27 AM
One last repeat question for my lack of a sense of direction...

Parking garage is where?

And I'm off to Ohio! :party:

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2010, 08:08 AM
One last repeat question for my lack of a sense of direction...

Parking garage is where?

And I'm off to Ohio! :party:

Parking garage is across the street from Newport. Its an OSU garage. Or you can find your own somewhere else.

Natrlhi
03-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Come onnnnn, Natty - you know you want to walk lil' ol' me over to Bernie's ;)... honestly, though, go to Voivod. They kicked ass last week :D.Well, here's the thing:

My cousin just called me at work. He never calls me at all - not to mention at work. He went to Voivod last night at Peabody's and he called me just to tell me about it. I couldn't go because my wife had to work and I had to watch my son.

He said they fucking rocked. They've only been playing one song from the new album (which isn't really that bad anyway), and the rest of the set list was from War and Pain through Angel Rat (read: when Voivod was at their absolute best - and when I was a big fan of theirs). He said they owned the fucking stage, and were even better than Kreator (whom we both like as well).

Ain't no way Imma miss that Voivod set at this point.

(I'd like to think I'm a prety chivalrous guy, but Voivod > chivalry. As a fellow metalhead, I'm sure you can appreciate that. ;))

Chyck
03-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, here's the thing:
(I'd like to think I'm a prety chivalrous guy, but Voivod > chivalry. As a fellow metalhead, I'm sure you can appreciate that. ;))

Dude... if you were so chivalrous as to miss Voivod, I think I might have to kick your ass. You'd be very, very dumb to miss the opportunity to see them.

That being said, I'm curious as to what their set will be - I think they've been switching it up on their current tour, and since this isn't part of said thrash-based tour, I wonder if they'll pull anything recent out. If they do, I'll probably kick myself for not seeing them again - I actually love some of their newer stuff.

PS - the last hour of an 11 hour drive brings mild hallucinations.

PPS - my cousin lives off of High St... unfortunately, she's 3 miles down the road.

idrinkwine732
03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I couldn't go because my wife had to work and I had to watch my son.

The obvious solution was staring you in the face man...BRING YOUR SON TO VOIVOD!

I don't care how young the tyke is.

Natrlhi
03-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Dude... if you were so chivalrous as to miss Voivod, I think I might have to kick your ass.:lol: No worries, Voivod is locked in. It'll be a shame to miss Ludicra, but Imma try to swing by the venue they're playing and at least buy the new album on the cheap and maybe meet a few of them. In all the time I've been a fan of Voivod (late 80's - since their origin, really), I've never seen them, so this is a must.

The obvious solution was staring you in the face man...BRING YOUR SON TO VOIVOD!

I don't care how young the tyke is.
:lol: He's 3. Rest assured, he will be going to shows with me much earlier than his mom would have liked, but that's pushing it a little. :D

Chyck
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Just swung by & stepped into Bernie's. Bernie's = the worst idea for a metal venue ever. Bad ideas only make me want to be there more.

It's in a basement and tiny. Very tiny. The "stage" is less than a foot high. The ceilings are low and not crowd surfing friendly (unless you want to scrape your face off). It's split into the restaurant area and the bar area. The bar area probably holds 70-75 people, tops.

I'm hoping like hell I can get in :eyes:.

Natrlhi
03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Just swung by & stepped into Bernie's. Bernie's = the worst idea for a metal venue ever. Bad ideas only make me want to be there more.

It's in a basement and tiny. Very tiny. The "stage" is less than a foot high. The ceilings are low and not crowd surfing friendly (unless you want to scrape your face off). It's split into the restaurant area and the bar area. The bar area probably holds 70-75 people, tops.

I'm hoping like hell I can get in :eyes:.
That must have been the joint my cousin's friends had told him about. It sounds like they weren't exaggerating. Your description is spot on with what he told me.

I've also heard that the Circus is just as small, if not smaller. Wondering if you'll have a chance to check that out - I really want to see Trap Them there. :snivel:

Chyck
03-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I've also heard that the Circus is just as small, if not smaller. Wondering if you'll have a chance to check that out - I really want to see Trap Them there. :snivel:

I didn't check it out (I would've if ya' told me earlier ;) ), but my cousin reports it's about 1.5 times the size of Bernie's, has some booth seating, windows in the front, a higher ceiling (11-12'), and the stage is in a corner and is probably 1 to 1.5 feet tall.

The good news is that some venues (Skully's & Circus and Bernie's & Newport) are close in relation to each other, so if you absolutely can't get into the smaller venue (Circus and Bernie's), at least you can shift over to the bigger one. It's not perfect, but you're going to get in somewhere, at least.

Oh yeah, and the two sets of venues (as previously stated) are definitely far enough away from one another that you're going to miss something every time you make the hike.

ChildrenofSodom
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah, and the two sets of venues (as previously stated) are definitely far enough away from one another that you're going to miss something every time you make the hike.

Thats why I said bring money for the bus. You guys never listen.

Natrlhi
03-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Thats why I said bring money for the bus. You guys never listen.I do. :snivel:

Chyck
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I do. :snivel:

I don't... well actually I do, but the bus schedule says it's only running every half hour, and I can walk the distance in less time than that