PDA

View Full Version : MetalSetlists Top 10 Albums of the Decade

Maiden33
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Is there any interest in doing this? I've talked about it with Brad, and I think it's a good idea, provided things don't get out of hand. Many of us have already compiled our personal lists, so it would mostly just require someone to tally the votes and all the business. If someone (Mankvill) is up for it, I say we should get this underway.

TonyD
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I'LL DO IT
:fist:

mankvill
01-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd be more than happy to collect the data again and submit my own list!

ChildrenofSodom
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm game....I don't have a list...but I can get working.

DethMaiden
01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I won't think hard about it or change my list but I'll resupply the list I used when I thought about this a couple of months back.

b_halperin
01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
That would be fun

Maiden33
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I certainly think already this is enough interest to ensure that we should do this. I guess it's between Tony D and Mankvill over which one of them wants to run it, but as soon as that's decided, we can probably post a voting thread and set a deadline like 2 weeks later.

ravenheart
01-18-2010, 04:25 AM
I thought about it, and gave up after I could only name three albums with any degree of certainty.

mastodon421
01-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Sounds like fun I am down

JuuKun
01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm in, since I already have my list and whatnot.

SomewhereInTime72
01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Considering we have 10 whole years to draw from, there might not be a lot of overlap in people's choices. I see this as the primary issue... that, and the fact that coming up with a top 10 of the decade is going to be a tough time. ;) Regardless, I'd still be down for something like this.

Maiden33
01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Considering we have 10 whole years to draw from, there might not be a lot of overlap in people's choices. I see this as the primary issue... that, and the fact that coming up with a top 10 of the decade is going to be a tough time. ;) Regardless, I'd still be down for something like this.

That's a fair point, but I don't think it's necessarily going to be that big of an issue. I see it totally fucking up the middle of the field, but I think at least a half dozen or more clear winners will emerge, enough so that it's not just a billion albums with 5-10 points apiece.

DethMaiden
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
That's a fair point, but I don't think it's necessarily going to be that big of an issue. I see it totally fucking up the middle of the field, but I think at least a half dozen or more clear winners will emerge, enough so that it's not just a billion albums with 5-10 points apiece.

1-3. Iron Maiden
4-10. Other things

:D

ChildrenofSodom
01-18-2010, 10:06 AM
1-3. Iron Maiden
4-10. Other things

:D

Thats exactly what I was thinking. haha...Throw a Mastodon album in at 4, and thats about all the consensus we would have. :tongue:

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Thats exactly what I was thinking. haha...Throw a Mastodon album in at 4, and thats about all the consensus we would have. :tongue:

Well, my list has one Mastodon album on it, but zero Maiden albums. Still, I'd be willing to re-supply the list I posted elsewhere, because I still believe it's an accurate representation of what I would pick.

The Nat :horns:

EDIT: Here is a "note to self" with a link to my previous list. They need to be ranked for this exercise, but I can do that. Let's do this thing.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=237786&postcount=37

Dextrimental
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I tink there be lots of common ground in terms of bands picked, like Mastodon and Maiden, but the records from each will differ.. For eample, I will be picking Leviathan in my top ten, id lay wager quite a few will pick blood Mountain, and another lot wil pick Crack the Skye..Then with Maiden, it'l be the same with Dance of Death etc.. And I know among the Lamb of God fans it will be the same, as with the Bodom fans and what not.. This could go either way, but I say go for it,its all fun anyway :)

powerslave_85
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm totally down. As usual, I'm not interested in the final results as much as I am in seeing everyone's individual lists.

ravenheart
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I would consider making the list longer than 10, to be honest. That way we're far more likely to get genuine consensuses. Or consensii?

Maiden33
01-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, as for the results, there's nothing stopping us from posting as many places as we want, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, if you're suggesting we adjust it so that everyone's submitted list is 20 albums instead of 10, it would require the scoring system to be readjusted. Somehow I'm not sure a #1 placement resulting in 20 points is necessarily fair. Anything ranked lower than 15th might as well not even be voted for unless it receives votes from a shit-ton of people.

DethMaiden
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, as for the results, there's nothing stopping us from posting as many places as we want, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, if you're suggesting we adjust it so that everyone's submitted list is 20 albums instead of 10, it would require the scoring system to be readjusted. Somehow I'm not sure a #1 placement resulting in 20 points is necessarily fair. Anything ranked lower than 15th might as well not even be voted for unless it receives votes from a shit-ton of people.

Agreed, people should only be able to vote for 10, but we can drag the results out to 50 if we feel like it.

ravenheart
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
There is that, although that's true of every scoring system like this.

You could, however, have everyone vote for 10, but make the final list 20.

Either way, I don't think 10 albums for a decade is enough. Not for a community as small as this one, anyway.

Maiden33
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I definitely understand what you're saying, I just don't think it's really gonna change anything to expand the voting lists. It's just gonna result in about 200 more albums only getting one vote.

ravenheart
01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Vote five and make the list ten, then ;) :lol:

Maiden33
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
The only thing we could do make this any form of a general consensus would be for everyone to post 20 nominations (their 20 favorites), keep track, and then take every album that received more than 1 nomination, relist them, and have everyone select their 10 favorites out of that, and score it normally. It's totally unfair, but it's about the only way we could possibly form a generalized list rather than a whole bunch of polarizing favorite albums, and a bunch of albums with like 4 votes or less apiece.

DethMaiden
01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
The only thing we could do make this any form of a general consensus would be for everyone to post 20 nominations (their 20 favorites), keep track, and then take every album that received more than 1 nomination, relist them, and have everyone select their 10 favorites out of that, and score it normally. It's totally unfair, but it's about the only way we could possibly form a generalized list rather than a whole bunch of polarizing favorite albums, and a bunch of albums with like 4 votes or less apiece.

Hey, why not. It would take longer but who cares.

Maiden33
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
The more I think about it, it's not a bad idea. Even I am pretty confident that if we did things exactly as I mentioned, enough albums would receive nominations that I could pick out 10 albums I really liked, enough so that I wouldn't feel I was being cheated. And hell, if I could do that, most people here would have absolutely no trouble.

ChildrenofSodom
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
I vote for any method that makes that Kansan work harder.

TonyD
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Depending on the results, I think it should be something like 25. If the results drop off (ex. #15 gets 100 points, #16 gets 50), I wouldn't be opposed to making it something like 15. We always include the results way past the actual top 10 anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

Also: no fucking multiplier.

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Here is one of many possible ways to make this work (and bear in mind that I'm an engineer, so I think this way all the time - the numbers can always be adjusted to tell the type of story you want to tell):

Let everyone vote for 20 - that way, we get more votes counted, because as several folks have mentioned, only allowing ten per person for an entire decade for a community this small - and varied in tastes - is somewhat fruitless.

Also, make the final list twenty, and not ten, for very similar reasons as above.

Lastly, in order to not have the problem that several have noted where the number twenty picks get hugely overshadowed by the number one picks just by virtue of the number of votes it takes to skyrocket an album to the top, you would use a formula like this:

P = 5 * (20 - R) + 50, where P is the number of points an album gets, and R is the ranking given by the voter.

This would result in the bottom (20th) pick getting 50 points, the tenth pick getting 100 points, and the top pick (#1) getting 145 points. All of the other picks would get five more points than the adjacent one.

...and of course, it goes without saying that you could change the values of 5, 20 and 50 in the above equation any way you want to get a spread of points that would seem most "fair" to everyone.

Sound like a plan? (Remember, numbers can be our friends, they just need to be beaten into shape like the rest of you pricks. :D)

DethMaiden
01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is one of many possible ways to make this work (and bear in mind that I'm an engineer, so I think this way all the time - the numbers can always be adjusted to tell the type of story you want to tell):

Let everyone vote for 20 - that way, we get more votes counted, because as several folks have mentioned, only allowing ten per person for an entire decade for a community this small - and varied in tastes - is somewhat fruitless.

Also, make the final list twenty, and not ten, for very similar reasons as above.

Lastly, in order to not have the problem that several have noted where the number twenty picks get hugely overshadowed by the number one picks just by virtue of the number of votes it takes to skyrocket an album to the top, you would use a formula like this:

P = 5 * (20 - R) + 50, where P is the number of points an album gets, and R is the ranking given by the voter.

This would result in the bottom (20th) pick getting 50 points, the tenth pick getting 100 points, and the top pick getting 150 points. All of the other picks would get five more points than the adjacent one.

...and of course, it goes without saying that you could change the values of 5, 20 and 50 in the above equation any way you want to get a spread of points that would seem most "fair" to everyone.

Sound like a plan? (Remember, numbers can be our friends, they just need to be beaten into shape like the rest of you pricks. :D)

Can I email you my calculus assignments? :snivel:

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Can I email you my calculus assignments? :snivel:

Sure - my hourly rate is $100.

DethMaiden
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Sure - my hourly rate is $100.

:lol: :lol: There doesn't seem to be even a hint of irony in that statement, either. ;)

I do think that the method for scoring the albums that you proposed could work if we decide to opt out of the "nominations" route, though.

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
:lol: :lol: There doesn't seem to be even a hint of irony in that statement, either. ;)

I do think that the method for scoring the albums that you proposed could work if we decide to opt out of the "nominations" route, though.

Yes. Definitely we would only need to vote once (which is one reason why it is such an awesome plan, thank you very much :D).

mankvill
01-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I know how to set up Excel documents to run algebraic command (if "Freezer Full Of Nigger Heads" by Grinded Nig gets more than 4 votes, have it add 5 points for each extra vote, etc.), so if anyone can come up with how they'd like it to be run and the rules on multipliers/multiple votes, I'll do it!

ChildrenofSodom
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I know how to set up Excel documents to run algebraic command (if "Freezer Full Of Nigger Heads" by Grinded Nig gets more than 4 votes, have it add 5 points for each extra vote, etc.), so if anyone can come up with how they'd like it to be run and the rules on multipliers/multiple votes, I'll do it!

That was a 'best of' album...I don't think those count.

mankvill
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
That was a 'best of' album...I don't think those count.

Whatever bro, you know it brings the guttural slams

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Wow. :wow:

The fact that the above album and band are totally fictional names of things that do not exist, but in a genre which does - that being extreme metal - is the only way you get away with that post. :eek: Holy shitballs, Batman!

powerslave_85
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I just finished my list. That was a lot easier than I thought.

ChildrenofSodom
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
That is a real band and album.....

ravenheart
01-18-2010, 03:40 PM

This would result in the bottom (20th) pick getting 50 points, the tenth pick getting 100 points, and the top pick (#1) getting 145 points. All of the other picks would get five more points than the adjacent one.

Simple enough. Do it.

Natrlhi
01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
That is a real band and album.....

So it is...and it's a "Best of" album, too. Well, ya learn something new every day. :eyes:

Freedom of speech = freedom to hate loudly, according to some. :(

TonyD
01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
(and bear in mind that I'm an engineer, so I think this way all the time - the numbers can always be adjusted to tell the type of story you want to tell)

I'm going to school to become an engineer :eyes:

Natrlhi
01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm going to school to become an engineer :eyes:
:lol: Go figure. :D

ChildrenofSodom
01-19-2010, 09:06 AM
I was going to go to school to be an engineer, but then I decided to go to art school for two years, take off a summer and travel Europe, then go to Law school for a year. Then I changed my mind, and now i'm doing political science.

Natrlhi
01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Well, I have been an engineer for seventeen years now, and it's been a pretty rewarding and lucrative career. I'm just wondering when they are going to finally give me one of those little striped hats and let me drive a train. :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, I have been an engineer for seventeen years now, and it's been a pretty rewarding and lucrative career. I'm just wondering when they are going to finally give me one of those little striped hats and let me drive a train. :eyes:

Hahaha...should have become an electrician...then you can work with conductors.

JRA
01-19-2010, 09:29 AM

The only train they'll let you run is when you catch the boss having sex with the secretary and he goes "if you don't rat I'll let you hit it too..."
:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
wow http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2010/1/72%20Goofy%20Shark%20Teeth%20-%20Good%20Stuff.jpg

IrritatedTrout
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

mankvill
01-19-2010, 11:42 PM
If you guys wanna do it, maybe we can vote Feb. 1 - 14? Both because it's a month after our year end lists, and on Feb. 13 will be the 40th anniversary of Black Sabbath's first album/birth of heavy metal.

Maiden33
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
If you guys wanna do it, maybe we can vote Feb. 1 - 14? Both because it's a month after our year end lists, and on Feb. 13 will be the 40th anniversary of Black Sabbath's first album/birth of heavy metal.

Yeah, February 1st - 14th works, I think. We just need to determine the official rules/scoring and who will be running it. We should get that sorted out within the next few days.

Natrlhi
01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, February 1st - 14th works, I think. We just need to determine the official rules/scoring and who will be running it. We should get that sorted out within the next few days.

Yeah, I think it's all sorted out. Start Feb 1, end Feb. 14 at midnight. Everybody votes for twenty, and the final list will include twenty. The formula will be the "fifty to one hundred forty-five point formula, by increments of five" that I proposed (unless anyone wants to change it, which is fine by me), and Mankvill's sorry ass is gonna count the votes.

Am I missing anything?

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I think it's all sorted out. Start Feb 1, end Feb. 14 at midnight. Everybody votes for twenty, and the final list will include twenty. The formula will be the "fifty to one hundred forty-five point formula, by increments of five" that I proposed (unless anyone wants to change it, which is fine by me), and Mankvill's sorry ass is gonna count the votes.

Am I missing anything?

Sounds good to me. :horns:

BOW BEFORE LEVIATHAN :)

powerslave_85
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
BOW BEFORE LEVIATHAN :)#3 ;)

mankvill
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Am I missing anything?

You wanna shoot me a PM telling me how to rank these? :D

mastodon421
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Sounds good to me. :horns:

BOW BEFORE LEVIATHAN :)

Sounds good to me as well but lets just another album by Mastodon will be topping my list:D:light:

Natrlhi
01-21-2010, 03:55 PM

You wanna shoot me a PM telling me how to rank these? :D
I'll post it here, so everybody can see what we're doing.

Use the formula from my previous post:

P = 5 * (20 - R) + 50, where P is the number of points, and R is the ranking that each voter gives it. So,

20th place vote gets 50 points
19th place vote gets 55 points
18th place vote gets 60 points
17th place vote gets 65 points
16th place vote gets 70 points
15th place vote gets 75 points
14th place vote gets 80 points
13th place vote gets 85 points
12th place vote gets 90 points
11th place vote gets 95 points
10th place vote gets 100 points
9th place vote gets 105 points
8th place vote gets 110 points
7th place vote gets 115 points
6th place vote gets 120 points
5th place vote gets 125 points
4th place vote gets 130 points
3rd place vote gets 135 points
2nd place vote gets 140 points
1st place vote gets 145 points

Top twenty point totals win. Easy as pie.

If you have any problems, just PM me and I'll straighten your ass out. ;)

JRA
01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Holy shit! I actually have 10 separate albums by 10 seperate bands I can enter into this. (Mind you one of them is a live album, but when you see which one it is, you will understand why and possibly even stand by my decision)

Maiden33
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Holy shit! I actually have 10 separate albums by 10 seperate bands I can enter into this. (Mind you one of them is a live album, but when you see which one it is, you will understand why and possibly even stand by my decision)

:confused:

1.To my knowledge, live albums are still not eligible.

2.The lists can be as many as 20 albums.

Dextrimental
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Im guessings its Scenes from a Memory/ another live album which is a rendition of another album in full, but done, subjctively, better than the original..

zgodt
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Top 10 metal albums? Or general? I have to figure out whether or not to include Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor.

Maiden33
01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Top 10 metal albums? Or general? I have to figure out whether or not to include Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor.

I guess it's gonna have to be completely open. Every time it comes up, it winds up being open anyway, so why not just not bother.

JRA
01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Im guessings its Scenes from a Memory/ another live album which is a rendition of another album in full, but done, subjctively, better than the original..

Nope. Don't listen to Dream Theatre.

DethMaiden
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Just for fun, here's what won each individual year if you forgot or are a n00b.

2005: Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2006: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
2007: Symphony X - Paradise Lost
2008: Opeth - Watershed
2009: Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Interested to see how these do. Also, I don't plan on voting for any of them. :lol:

Maiden33
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Interested to see how these do. Also, I don't plan on voting for any of them. :lol:

Yeah, neither do I. The Maiden record would come closest, I'd probably have it in my top 30, but not 20.

DethMaiden
01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, neither do I. The Maiden record would come closest, I'd probably have it in my top 30, but not 20.

Ghost Reveries and AMOLAD are probably both in my 30 but neither are in my 20. Two Maiden records and two Opeth records will be in my 20, just not those.

Dextrimental
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Nope. Don't listen to Dream Theatre.

Well is it a concept album/entire album performed as a live cd?

JRA
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Well is it a concept album/entire album performed as a live cd?

nope.

mankvill
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess it's gonna have to be completely open. Every time it comes up, it winds up being open anyway, so why not just not bother.

I have a feeling my list will be 19 metal albums and Rockin' the Suburbs by Ben Folds.

SomewhereInTime72
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM

For a top 20, I might include AMOLAD and Watershed.

mastodon421
01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
My list is shaping up to be quite intresting. I have had to due a lot of thinking but I think i might finally have a list.

mankvill
01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
My list will probably have a bunch of shit that no one else will have because it's a personal list, not about metal in general.

For instance, my list will not include Mastodon. :tongue: