PDA

View Full Version : Scion II

larvtard
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
The second Scion Rock Fest is in...

Columbus, Ohio. :mad:

I live in Atlanta and I din't go last year because it was fucking 18+.

Granted, I'm still only 17, but... I dunno.

http://www.scion.com/rock/

Apparently Pelican is headlining and Shrinebuilder and YOB are also there.

TonyD
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
If Pelican is headlining, it's not gonna be nearly as cool as last year.

Chyck
01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Ooooooh! I have cousins in Columbus! Nice!

Any idea when more info will be announced?

mankvill
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
ffffuuuu-

last year had amazing bands.

idrinkwine732
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Well this sucks.

Chyck
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM

True, but I'm willing to wait & see who else is playing before writing it off.

larvtard
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Well this sucks.

majorly :hmm:

@ Chyck, no, sorry I don't know. They'll announce soon enough

mankvill
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
True, but I'm willing to wait & see who else is playing before writing it off.

Maybe Skeletonwitch will because it's Ohio!

Chyck
01-14-2010, 07:17 PM

That'd be schweet. They're done with their tour by then

DethMaiden
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Hot damn, this is on my spring break! :party:

EDIT: Wasn't this free last year?

larvtard
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM

Skeletonwitch is playing a free Scion show in Atlanta and Los Angeles, so I could see that happening.

@ DethMaiden... yes, it was free last year

DethMaiden
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
yes

AHHHHH FUCK I'M GOING TO A FREE METAL FESTIVAL ON MY SPRING BREAK ONLY AN HOUR AWAY FROM MY HOUSE AHHH

Chyck
01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Skeletonwitch is playing a free Scion show in Atlanta and Los Angeles, so I could see that happening.

@ DethMaiden... yes, it was free last year

If they're playing, I'm so making the trip.

And if it's free... how do you necessarily know you'll get in?

larvtard
01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
you don't know. Just show up really early

DethMaiden
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
People need to keep this thread up to date. I'm planning on going no matter what, if the rumors of Shrinebuilder are true, that's more than enough to get me out there, and everything else is bonus. If it isn't free this year by chance then I'll maybe need a couple more bands but still, it's awesome that this is in Ohio this year.

Natty, you coming down for this? :D

DethMaiden
01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Mastodon, Converge, Neurosis, Boris, Cryptopsy, Týr, High on Fire, Pig Destroyer, 1349, Baroness, Alestorm, Eyehategod, Coalesce, SuidAkrA, Kylesa, Wolves in the Throne Room, Torche, Septic Flesh, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Trash Talk, Harvey Milk, Soilent Green, A Storm of Light, Rwake, Skeletonwitch, Krallice, Zoroaster, Withered, U.S. Christmas, Salome and Apocalyptic Visions

Holy shit you guys this was the best festival ever last year.

larvtard
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I know none of you guys went last year, but do you think the fact that it was 18+ mattered? Do you think they checked, or could I have gotten in? (I was 16 at the time)

Chyck
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Mastodon, Converge, Neurosis, Boris, Cryptopsy, Týr, High on Fire, Pig Destroyer, 1349, Baroness, Alestorm, Eyehategod, Coalesce, SuidAkrA, Kylesa, Wolves in the Throne Room, Torche, Septic Flesh, Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Trash Talk, Harvey Milk, Soilent Green, A Storm of Light, Rwake, Skeletonwitch, Krallice, Zoroaster, Withered, U.S. Christmas, Salome and Apocalyptic Visions

Holy shit you guys this was the best festival ever last year.

No kidding. I almost can't look at it due to the pain of missing it.

@ loganarchy... honestly, I don't know. I think you're taking a risk of being turned away. I'm well over 21 and still get IDd at every show I go to... granted, that's in MA, but you get the idea.

DethMaiden
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I think there's a good chance that Mouth of the Architect, Struck By Lightning, and Skeletonwitch all play. They're all local to the Columbus area and they all fit the general concept of the festival.

Is there any speculation as to what venue this will be at? I'm thinking Columbus Crew Stadium which is where they hold shitty music festivals, Germain Ampitheater where they used to do Ozzfest every year, or (fingers crossed) Lifestyle Communities Pavilion which is the only outdoor venue that I've ever been to that has amazing sound (and it also has an indoor portion if weather is an issue).

GameFreac
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I know none of you guys went last year, but do you think the fact that it was 18+ mattered? Do you think they checked, or could I have gotten in? (I was 16 at the time)

They checked. I saw some people that drove long distances get turned away. They were PISSED.

But it's fucking gay that it's not in Atlanta anymore.

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I have been in this city since September and not a single worthwhile show has come. THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME! FUCK YOU CLEVELAND! FUCK YOU KANSAS!

mankvill
01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I have been in this city since September and not a single worthwhile show has come. THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME! FUCK YOU CLEVELAND! FUCK YOU KANSAS!

psh the lineup is going to be iwrestledabearonce and lamb of god

ChildrenofSodom
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
psh the lineup is going to be iwrestledabearonce and lamb of god

If that happens, I will burn this down Columbus.

Natrlhi
01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Hot damn, this is on my spring break! :party:

EDIT: Wasn't this free last year?
Yes, it was - but from what I heard you can't just show up. You have to get tickets in advance at one of several locations where they are officially distributed, which are typically local (or semi-local) to the event - like record stores and shit like that. People who lived far away had to make a road trip to get the tickets, and then another road trip to go to the show, or somebody local scored the tickets for them. I heard it was a real shit situation and pissed a lot of people off. But fuck it - this is close enough to being local for me, so hell yeah, I will try like hell to make this.

People need to keep this thread up to date. I'm planning on going no matter what, if the rumors of Shrinebuilder are true, that's more than enough to get me out there, and everything else is bonus. If it isn't free this year by chance then I'll maybe need a couple more bands but still, it's awesome that this is in Ohio this year.

Natty, you coming down for this? :DSee above. In fact, we should make this a metalsetlists.com muthafuckin meetup, brozefs! :light:

Holy shit you guys this was the best festival ever last year.Yes, it was. I damn near drove hundreds of miles just to go, but for one thing, I heard about all the ticket bullshit above and decided that that shit was for the fuckin' birds, and for another thing, it was on my birthday, as I remember it, or some other day where I would have pissed off my wife something fierce if I didn't stay in town and spend the day with her. :nag: :D

I think there's a good chance that Mouth of the Architect, Struck By Lightning, and Skeletonwitch all play. They're all local to the Columbus area and they all fit the general concept of the festival.Fuck yes, fuck yes, and fuck yes.

I have been in this city since September and not a single worthwhile show has come. THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME! FUCK YOU CLEVELAND! FUCK YOU KANSAS!What did Cleveland ever do to you? Plus, Clevelanders who really want to attend this fest will consider this "local enough", so we aren't fucked in the least by the fact that this is only three hours away or so. If you ask me, it's a hell of a lot closer that I ever thought this thing would come. I'm stoked as fuck. :rocker:

(but yeah, fuck Kansas anyway ;))

DethMaiden
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes, it was - but from what I heard you can't just show up. You have to get tickets in advance at one of several locations where they are officially distributed, which are typically local (or semi-local) to the event - like record stores and shit like that. People who lived far away had to make a road trip to get the tickets, and then another road trip to go to the show, or somebody local scored the tickets for them. I heard it was a real shit situation and pissed a lot of people off. But fuck it - this is close enough to being local for me, so hell yeah, I will try like hell to make this.

See above. In fact, we should make this a metalsetlists.com muthafuckin meetup, brozefs! :light:

Yes, it was. I damn near drove hundreds of miles just to go, but for one thing, I heard about all the ticket bullshit above and decided that that shit was for the fuckin' birds, and for another thing, it was on my birthday, as I remember it, or some other day where I would have pissed off my wife something fierce if I didn't stay in town and spend the day with her. :nag: :D

Fuck yes, fuck yes, and fuck yes.

What did Cleveland ever do to you? Plus, Clevelanders who really want attend this fest will consider this "local enough", so we aren't fucked in the least by the fact that this is only three hours away or so. If you ask me, it's a hell of a lot closer that I ever thought this thing would come. I'm stoked as fuck. :rocker:

Since I'm gonna be in Indiana when they're distributing tickets (and ChildrenofSodom doesn't have a car in Columbus) can you pick up three tickets when you pick up yours? :snivel: :snivel:

Natrlhi
01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Since I'm gonna be in Indiana when they're distributing tickets (and ChildrenofSodom doesn't have a car in Columbus) can you pick up three tickets when you pick up yours? :snivel: :snivel:

Sure, if they let me. I also seem to remember something about a one-ticket-per-person policy, although (1) that could have just been a bad dream ;), and (2) I suppose even if it's true, I could try to drag some other poor bastards down there with me to get tickets if need be. Methinks we can prolly work something out...

EDIT: Hell, they might even be distributing them at the record store across the street from the OSU campus, a few blocks from the venue where last year's pre-New Years Clutch show was at, for all we know - in which case CoS can just get a bunch of buddies to go get the tix for you and me instead. :D :crossedfingers:

DethMaiden
01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Sure, if they let me. I also seem to remember something about a one-ticket-per-person policy, although (1) that could have just been a bad dream ;), and (2) I suppose even if it's true, I could try to drag some other poor bastards down there with me to get tickets if need be. Methinks we can prolly work something out...

Everything's speculation until they put out some concrete details on the festival I suppose, but we'll figure all this shit out in due time. :rocker:

larvtard
01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
They checked. I saw some people that drove long distances get turned away. They were PISSED.

Haha, thanks for letting me know. I've been worrying about that for so fucking long.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Holy shitballs! You just came dangerously close to saying something I don't agree with on here for once! ;)

If you place emphasis on the fact that Pelican is headlining, and not just on the bill, then I guess I can see where you're coming from. In other words, Pelican is awesome, but not quite solid enough to be the primary headliner for something as monumental as this. Am I reading this correctly? :snivel:

Otherwise, we might have just made metalsetlists history. TO BE CONTINUED...

ChildrenofSodom
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
What did Cleveland ever do to you? Plus, Clevelanders who really want attend this fest will consider this "local enough", so we aren't fucked in the least by the fact that this is only three hours away or so. If you ask me, it's a hell of a lot closer that I ever thought this thing would come. I'm stoked as fuck. :rocker:

I have this working theory that metal and economic despair go hand-in-hand, and ever since the recession started, all the good metal has been going to Peabody's Down Under, and not Columbus or Cincy. Seriously, the only okay shows that have come through Columbus since I got here in September were Mastodon and Talib Kweli. Fortunately, the local scene here is picking up a little bit....but still...we need national metal shows!

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
I have this working theory that metal and economic despair go hand-in-hand, and ever since the recession started, all the good metal has been going to Peabody's Down Under, and not Columbus or Cincy. Seriously, the only okay shows that have come through Columbus since I got here in September were Mastodon and Talib Kweli. Fortunately, the local scene here is picking up a little bit....but still...we need national metal shows!
Funny you say this, because my perception on the Cleveland side of things is that there have been more and more tours that have dates in Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago (for example), and they do not schedule stops in Cleveland as much anymore. Maybe it's just my perception and slightly guilty-by-association feelings that several shows in the last couple of years have had somewhat lousy crowds (Carcass last March, which DethMaiden also attended, being one nice exception). I'm definitely not saying that Columbus or Cincy is getting shows instead of Cleveland, but what I think I'm saying is that Ohio in general seems to be getting fewer good shows than surrounding areas. I had to make significant road trips last year to see Baroness, Burst and Giant Squid because of this.

Maybe it's all in our heads, though. You or I could both have slightly distorted perceptions based on simply not getting enough of what we want. I mean, let's face it - we all want every good tour to stop in our backyard, don't we? Just sayin'.

mankvill
01-16-2010, 10:37 AM

OH YES POOR CLEVELAND

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 10:45 AM
OH YES POOR CLEVELAND

We have the Browns, and shitty, shitty weather. So yes, poor us. ;)

mankvill
01-16-2010, 10:45 AM
We have the Browns, and shitty, shitty weather. So yes, poor us. ;)

nigga we have the CHIEFS and have been iced over since Christmas :mad:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
nigga we have the CHIEFS and have been iced over since Christmas :mad:

Fine. Life sucks for us both.

Wait - we have the Cavs. It sucks way more for you. :D

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Wait - we have the Cavs. It sucks way more for you. :D

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Seriously, I'm a Spurs fan first and a Cavs fan second (since Tim Duncan was drafted, ya hear?) but Cleveland needs to win this title so LeBron has no qualms about sticking around. And if LeBron is King James, then my boy Anderson Varejao is the most badass court jester in the kingdom. :rocker: Go Cavs!

mankvill
01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
if LeBron is King James, then my boy Anderson Varejao is the most badass court jester in the kingdom. :rocker:
:lol: I lol'ed.

Go Cavs!
...and fuck yes.

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

:lol: These are amazing.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
:lol: These are amazing.

...and LOL-ingly accurate. :lol:

(I had seen the first one, of course, but I wasn't aware of the "sequel" - nice :D)

TonyD
01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I was about to post that lol

and yes, the emphasis was on headlining, so we preserved history and prevented tearing a hole in the space-time continueum.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I was about to post that lol

and yes, the emphasis was on headlining, so we preserved history and prevented tearing a hole in the space-time continueum.

Phew. :fist:

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDFoJ22sKY&feature=related

:lol: To bring us full circle.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDFoJ22sKY&feature=related

:lol: To bring us full circle.

:lol: That was hilurrrrrrious. :D

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Internet deep throat says:

confirmed/heavily rumored: shrinebuilder, YOB, pelican, magrudergrind

ruled out due to being already booked on the date: mastodon, converge, doomriders, old man gloom, torche, floor, coalesce, harvey milk, the atlas moth, a storm of light

daimonos
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Funny you say this, because my perception on the Cleveland side of things is that there have been more and more tours that have dates in Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago (for example), and they do not schedule stops in Cleveland as much anymore. Maybe it's just my perception and slightly guilty-by-association feelings that several shows in the last couple of years have had somewhat lousy crowds (Carcass last March, which DethMaiden also attended, being one nice exception). I'm definitely not saying that Columbus or Cincy is getting shows instead of Cleveland, but what I think I'm saying is that Ohio in general seems to be getting fewer good shows than surrounding areas. I had to make significant road trips last year to see Baroness, Burst and Giant Squid because of this.

Maybe it's all in our heads, though. You or I could both have slightly distorted perceptions based on simply not getting enough of what we want. I mean, let's face it - we all want every good tour to stop in our backyard, don't we? Just sayin'.

I'm not sure what gave you that idea hahah because probably about 70% of the metal tours in the states skip over Pittsburgh. But all the tours that never come here always do seem to be in Cleveland. :mad:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
ruled out due to being already booked on the date: mastodon, converge, doomriders, old man gloom, torche, floor, coalesce, harvey milk, the atlas moth, a storm of light
Dammit for almost all of those - especially Mastodon, Doomriders, Torche, Coalesce and A Storm of Light. Three questions, though:

How do you figure that Doomriders and Coalesce are booked elsewhere at that time? I checked their MySpace pages and couldn't find any evidence of that (just asking...).

Are Old Man Gloom active right now? :confused: That would be (big) news to me.

How could both Floor and Torche be booked somewhere on the same day? Plus, does Floor even exist right now? :confused::confused:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure what gave you that idea hahah because probably about 70% of the metal tours in the states skip over Pittsburgh. But all the tours that never come here always do seem to be in Cleveland. :mad:

I think this cements the theory that it's just a matter of perception coming from where you live, and as I said earlier we all want the best shows to come to where we live. Apparently, there is probably no anti-[insert your home town here] conspiracy after all. Dammit, all that good whining gone to waste. ;)

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Dammit for almost all of those - especially Mastodon, Doomriders, Torche, Coalesce and A Storm of Light. Three questions, though:

How do you figure that Doomriders and Coalesce are booked elsewhere at that time? I checked their MySpace pages and couldn't find any evidence of that (just asking...).

How could both Floor and Torche be booked somewhere on the same day? Plus, does Floor even exist right now? :confused::confused:

I don't have answers for any of this. I was just Googling "Scion 2010 rumors" :lol:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't have answers for any of this. I was just Googling "Scion 2010 rumors" :lol:

Ah. Well, some of it is correct, anyway (such as A Storm of Light, Mastodon, Torche, etc.). ;)

daimonos
01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I think this cements the theory that it's just a matter of perception coming from where you live, and as I said earlier we all want the best shows to come to where we live. Apparently, there is probably no anti-[insert your home town here] conspiracy after all. Dammit, all that good whining gone to waste. ;)

Hahah I guess you have a point.

But here in Pittsburgh we only had 12 metal shows throughout all of 2009 that I know of :eyes:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM

How could both Floor and Torche be booked somewhere on the same day? Plus, does Floor even exist right now? :confused::confused:I don't have answers for any of this. I was just Googling "Scion 2010 rumors" :lol:

Forget it - the Coalesce thing is also true. They are in Chicago that night with Harvey Milk & The Atlas Moth. Old Man Gloom is out because they don't exist anymore (plus Torche are booked that night), and there is no such thing as Old Man Gloom right now.

I'm hoping Baroness and / or Kylesa may be on the bill. I've seen them both twice, but fucking hell are they awesome. Red Sparowes might be another possibility, too - what with a new album coming out soon and all. Isis is supposed to be in Japan the week before Scion, though, so it might not loook good for that either.

Back to the speculation...

EDIT: Isis will have Baroness with them in Tokyo. Fuck me. Well, there's still a chance, I guess. Fuck it - they should both get on Scion (a brotha can dream, right?). :D

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Forget it - the Coalesce thing is also true. They are in Chicago that night with Harvey Milk & The Atlas Moth. Old Man Gloom is out because they don't exist anymore (plus Torche are booked that night), and there is no such thing as Old Man Gloom right now.

I'm hoping Baroness and / or Kylesa may be on the bill. I've seen them both twice, but fucking hell are they awesome. Red Sparowes might be another possibility, too - what with a new album coming out soon and all. Isis is supposed to be in Japan the week before Scion, though, so it might not loook good for that either.

Back to the speculation...

They need to get Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Pig Destroyer, and other such bands that fit the general idiom but aren't weed-soaked. I can't have slow-to-midtempo music all day. I NEED TO ROCK! :rocker:

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 06:40 PM
They need to get Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Pig Destroyer, and other such bands that fit the general idiom but aren't weed-soaked. I can't have slow-to-midtempo music all day. I NEED TO ROCK! :rocker:

Baroness and Kylesa are definitely not slow, and they are heavy as fuck. Plus, at least one of the two (if not both?) was on the lineup last year. It was almost a stoner-fest, really. If you want nothing but Pig Destroyer and their clones all day, then Maryland Death Fest is the right gig for you. I say make Scion a stoner / doom thing again, and I'm there f'sho.

Speaking of which, I just thought of another really good possibility - High on Fire. Plus, again, I believe they were on the Scion bill last year. :rocker:

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Baroness and Kylesa are definitely not slow, and they are heavy as fuck. Plus, at least one of the two (if not both?) was on the lineup last year. It was almost a stoner-fest, really. If you want nothing but Pig Destroyer and their clones all day, then Maryland Death Fest is the right gig for you. I say make Scion a stoner / doom thing again, and I'm there f'sho.

Speaking of which, I just thought of another really good possibility - High on Fire. Plus, again, I believe they were on the Scion bill last year. :rocker:

Last year's was a good balance of both of those sides of the vaguely-underground spectrum though. I don't want MDF or a strictly stoner/doom fest. I want both at one show so as to keep things interesting. :) And last year's certainly did that.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, here is last year's list of attendees (more or less):

*MASTODON
NEUROSIS
HIGH ON FIRE
BORIS
CRYPTOPSY
*TORCHE
*NACHTMYSTIUM
WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM
BARONESS
*HARVEY MILK
KYLESA
ZOROASTER
WITHERED
KRALLICE
TOXIC HOLOCAUST
SKELETONWITCH
RWAKE
*A STORM OF LIGHT
*WARBRINGER
SALOME
SUIDAKRA
TYR
ALESTORM
Pig Destroyer
*Coalesce
U.S. Christmas

The ones with asterisks are out for 2010 due to prior engagements. That still leaves a metric fuckton of awesome possibilities, and of course there are a lot of bands which aren't mentioned above as well. By the way, speaking of rumors, I just read that Pig Destroyer is working on a new album for September 2010 release. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

EDIT: Bands in bold would be fucking awesome to see.

EDIT2: Nachtmystium and Warbringer are also out, as they are scheduled to play somewhere else that day.

larvtard
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh, I think I forgot to add, from what I've heard none of the bands that was on it last year will be on it this year.

Sucks...

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Oh, I think I forgot to add, from what I've heard none of the bands that was on it last year will be on it this year.

Sucks...

:eek: Brother, I hope you are dead wrong about this. :bawling:

It seems highly unlikely that something like that would be a known fact at this point in time, so I'm still holding out hope...

DethMaiden
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
:eek: Brother, I hope you are dead wrong about this. :bawling:

It seems highly unlikely that something like that would be a known fact at this point in time, so I'm still holding out hope...

Yeah, plus, there's only so many bands who fit the bill...some are going to pretty much HAVE to repeat.

mankvill
01-16-2010, 07:32 PM

I did read somewhere that Floor is reuniting for a few shows.

edit: and I needs me sum Boris in 2010

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I did read somewhere that Floor is reuniting for a few shows.
Apparently, that is actually true, but since Torche is booked for 3/13/10, it ain't gonna be for Scion II. :(

edit: and I needs me sum Wata in 2010
Fixed. Next time, just say what you mean in the first place - we all know anyway. :D

mankvill
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Apparently, that is actually true, but since Torche is booked for 3/13/10, it ain't gonna be for Scion II. :(

Fixed. Next time, just say what you mean in the first place - we all know anyway. :D

:lol:

I was drooling over Michio Kurihara's excellent guitar ability more than Wata! :(

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
:lol:

I was drooling over Michio Kurihara's excellent guitar ability more than Wata! :(

Word up. He was truly the shit, was he not? That show was an ass-kicker, between Torche and Boris. Nachtmystium opened that show, too, but that was before I knew they were / are fuknawesome, so I missed their set. :(

Still, Wata + Michio = :D.

Natrlhi
01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
In breaking news, Shrinebuilder is unofficially confirmed. In a quiet corner of their MySpace page (click the link to the blog entry regarding tour dates), there is a tiny little blurb that reads "The band will also be playing NY and the 2010 Scion Rock Festival". Oops. Kitty done got out o' da bag. Nice. :fist:

DethMaiden
01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Mouth of the Architect are out. They're playing Indianapolis that night.

Buuuut they're playing Dayton the next night, so provided it isn't 21+ I'll see them that weekend after all. :cool:

TonyD
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
In breaking news, Shrinebuilder is unofficially confirmed. In a quiet corner of their MySpace page (click the link to the blog entry regarding tour dates), there is a tiny little blurb that reads "The band will also be playing NY and the 2010 Scion Rock Festival". Oops. Kitty done got out o' da bag. Nice. :fist:

OLD NEWS, OLD MAN

DethMaiden
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
MOTA are officially out.

Latest from the rumor mill: Cannibal Corpse, Saviours, Struck By Lightning

If so, CC can easily headline.

mankvill
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
MOTA are officially out.

Latest from the rumor mill: Cannibal Corpse, Saviours, Struck By Lightning

If so, CC can easily headline.

I'd see that show. :drool:

CC's setlist needs an overhaul, though.

Natrlhi
01-20-2010, 08:56 AM
I've also heard / read rumors about Howl and Sleep.

Struck by Lightning, Saviours and Cannibal Corpse would all be cool.

EDIT:

However,

CC can easily headline.
I wouldn't want to see that happen - at least not literally. Not that CC aren't any good, but I can just think of some other bands that I'd prefer to see getting the longest set of the night besides Cannibal Corpse. Just sayin'. :snivel:

TheCzar
01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm hoping for eyehategod

ChildrenofSodom
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Cannibal Corpse seem to be an odd choice.

larvtard
01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
cannibal corpse and voivod

http://www.neurotrecordings.com/tour.aspx

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 05:47 PM
cannibal corpse and voivod

http://www.neurotrecordings.com/tour.aspx

Nice find, dude. :horns:

Cannibal Corpse and Shrinebuilder are currently the two I'm most excited to see, add Struck By Lightning when and if they're confirmed.

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
The Roster
- CANNIBAL CORPSE
- SHRINEBUILDER
- VOIVOD
- D.R.I.
- BRUTAL TRUTH
- HATE ETERNAL
- YOB
- PELICAN
- 3 INCHES OF BLOOD
- ABSU
- LUDICRA
- ACRASSICAUDA
- TRAP THEM
- MAGRUDERGRIND
- LANDMINE MARATHON
- THOU
- SAVIOURS
- LITURGY
- STRUCK BY LIGHTING
- BLACK TUSK
- DEADSEA
- LIGHTNING SWORDS OF
DEATH
- LULLABYE ARKESTRA

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

From the website.

EDIT: Bands I most want to see in bold.

idrinkwine732
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
That's quite a lineup, plus Acrassicauda, wouldn't have guessed they'd get on there.

Shrinebuilder here in SF is 21+, let me know how they are.

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
That's quite a lineup, plus Acrassicauda, wouldn't have guessed they'd get on there.

It's spread across four venues, one of which is 21+. Hoping none of my bolded bands play at that 21+ one.

mankvill
01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
ABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUAB SUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSU ABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSUABSHABSUABSJCY SWADDSAGIDFDKMKEOWOLZBFRMDWTFLCDWWDSA ABSU

idrinkwine732
01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
It's spread across four venues, one of which is 21+. Hoping none of my bolded bands play at that 21+ one.

That would suck beyond measure. Maybe they'd make it an all ages show for that day?

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
That would suck beyond measure. Maybe they'd make it an all ages show for that day?

Nah, the festival "rules" section lists that it's still 21+, fuckers. But that's also the only venue I've never heard of, so maybe the smallest bands will be the only ones who play it. Unfortunately, that may mean I don't end up seeing Struck By Lightning, but we'll just have to see.

I feel like Cannibal Corpse and Shrinebuilder are safe bets for the biggest venue, though.

Chyck
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
After yesterday's letdown for Mayhem... SO FREAKIN' EXCITED FOR THISCAPSLOCKOMG!!!!

Road Trip time! :party:

mankvill
01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
To reiterate:

Absu

mankvill
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Also: really cool Acrassicuada is on there. Anyone who hasn't seen Heavy Metal in Baghdad, go now!

DethMaiden
01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Also: really cool Acrassicuada is on there. Anyone who hasn't seen Heavy Metal in Baghdad, go now!

Yeah, I'd put them right up there in that top tier of bands I'm placing priority on seeing. Hell, I'm going to give them money if I can. We bomb their country and shit. :snivel:

idrinkwine732
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't think their music is bad either, I'd like to see them.

smearCampaign
01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Hell yeah! Just got my RSVP confirmation email. Can't pass up a free show with such a ridiculous lineup.

ChildrenofSodom
01-21-2010, 08:33 PM
METALSETLISTS MEET UP!

idrinkwine732
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
It's a shame I don't live by there, I'd love to go to that show.

TonyD
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Oakland is AA

idrinkwine732
01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Oakland is AA
Can't make it on the Oakland day...

gilpdawg
01-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Just RSVPed, even though I've never heard of about half of those bands. I'm not as tuned into the underground as I should be. I love CC and Voivod though.

Natrlhi
01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
The Roster
- CANNIBAL CORPSE
- SHRINEBUILDER
- VOIVOD
- D.R.I.
- BRUTAL TRUTH
- HATE ETERNAL
- YOB
- PELICAN
- 3 INCHES OF BLOOD
- ABSU
- LUDICRA
- ACRASSICAUDA
- TRAP THEM
- MAGRUDERGRIND
- LANDMINE MARATHON
- THOU
- SAVIOURS
- LITURGY
- STRUCK BY LIGHTING
- BLACK TUSK
- DEADSEA
- LIGHTNING SWORDS OF
DEATH
- LULLABYE ARKESTRA

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

From the website.

EDIT: Bands I most want to see in bold.

:confused: :eek: I'm surprised you didn't have Pelican in bold.

Here are my thoughts on the lineup:

CANNIBAL CORPSE - Have never seen them in all this time, so why not finally get to see them live for free? Hell yes!
SHRINEBUILDER - I like their new album - would definitely like to see them live.
VOIVOD - Have been a fan for over twenty years, and never seen 'em - HELL YES!!! :rocker:
D.R.I. - Saw them wwwwaaaaayyy back in the day - did my first somersaulting stage dive at their show. :D FUN!
BRUTAL TRUTH - Saw them at MDF last year - they are intense, that's for sure. :eek:
HATE ETERNAL - Haven't really gotten into these guys (...yet?).
YOB - Ditto Hate Eternal comments.
PELICAN - Always nice to see Pelican on a bill...have seen them three times / once more would be just peachy. :blaze:
3 INCHES OF BLOOD - Not my cup of tea, but hey, they can't all be in my wheelhouse. :D
ABSU - Definitely would like to check these guys out and find out more about 'em.
LUDICRA - This excites me a great deal - I've just gotten into them within the last year, and am VERY stoked to see them on here! :rocker:
ACRASSICAUDA - Ditto what's already been said - very surprised to see them on here - nice!
TRAP THEM - Ditto my comments for Ludicra, but I want to see these cats even more - HELL YES!!! :rocker:
MAGRUDERGRIND - Looks like I'm finally going to see what these guys are like live - I like their album stuff well enough.
LANDMINE MARATHON - Ditto Ludicra and Trap Them, but up one more notch...stoked as hell to see this band live, finally! :rocker:
THOU - Who?
SAVIOURS - Ditto Magrudergrind comments.
LITURGY - Who?
STRUCK BY LIGHTING - FUCK YES! :rocker:
BLACK TUSK - I definitely like what I have heard so far...looking forward to them.
DEADSEA - Who?
LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH - Ditto Black Tusk comments.
LULLABYE ARKESTRA - Who?

I would have to say that last year's lineup, as a whole, was even more interesting to me than this one, but - this is still a helluva lot of awesome stuff, and for the price you can't beat it with a stick, right? So hell yes I will try to be there.

DethMaiden
01-22-2010, 07:20 AM
:confused: :eek: I'm surprised you didn't have Pelican in bold.

Yeah, they were pretty great opening for Isis I suppose, but if one of my bolded bands (or Acrassicauda) is playing at the same time in another venue, Pelican are getting skipped. With the gig being spread over four venues, you kind of have to prioritize.

Natrlhi
01-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah, they were pretty great opening for Isis I suppose, but if one of my bolded bands (or Acrassicauda) is playing at the same time in another venue, Pelican are getting skipped. With the gig being spread over four venues, you kind of have to prioritize.

Agreed. I would probably have an even easier time skipping Pelican that you would, too, since I've seen them several times and even met them before.

ADD
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Whatever you do dont miss YOB or Ludicra. Great lineup, more diverse than last year's.

Natrlhi
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, there's not a band on here that I actually don't like - just a few I don't know that much about. Oh, and Lightning Swords of Death is officially bumped up to "bold, underlined, larger font size" status. Those bastards are rapidly moving towards the center of my radar screen. :fist:

Chyck
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Reserved my ticket - I think I win for the farthest traveler right now.

So locals - I've seen the map, but how far are the venues apart from each other, really? Is it going to be possible to venue hop?

mankvill
01-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Reserved my ticket - I think I win for the farthest traveler right now.

So locals - I've seen the map, but how far are the venues apart from each other, really? Is it going to be possible to venue hop?

You saw the part where you have to pick up the ticket by a certain time, right?

Chyck
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
You saw the part where you have to pick up the ticket by a certain time, right?

Yes. Family, remember? My cousin is picking it up for me. No way in hell am I going through that will call bullshyt.

mankvill
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes. Family, remember? My cousin is picking it up for me. No way in hell am I going through that will call bullshyt.

:flame: mad jealous

davidis138
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
The second Scion Rock Fest is in...

Columbus, Ohio. :mad:

I agree :bouville:

This would and awesome fuckin way to celebrate my bday but :hmm:

And it's free :tp:

ChildrenofSodom
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Hey, I'm a local! Skully's is a block from Circus. Newport is a 7 or 8 blocks from Circus. Bernie's is two blocks or so from Newport. And they are all along High Street. So, its a 10 block straight for all those. Takes me about 10-15 to get from Circus to Newport. Not awful, but not great if the bands you want are playing close to one another.

ChildrenofSodom
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I agree :bouville:

This would and awesome fuckin way to celebrate my bday but :hmm:

And it's free :tp:

LET ME HAVE THIS!!!!!

Chyck
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey, I'm a local!
So I've gathered... the question was mostly directed at you ;)

Skully's is a block from Circus. Newport is a 7 or 8 blocks from Circus. Bernie's is two blocks or so from Newport. And they are all along High Street. So, its a 10 block straight for all those. Takes me about 10-15 to get from Circus to Newport. Not awful, but not great if the bands you want are playing close to one another.

Mrrrrggg... Well, I'll wait to see who is playing where before I freak out.

Thanks!

ChildrenofSodom
01-22-2010, 05:25 PM
A think a metalsetlists meet up is in order. At least 5 people have said they might be going.

davidis138
01-22-2010, 07:29 PM
LET ME HAVE THIS!!!!!

You may have sir. You lucky fuck :finger: :lol:

My only request is the Brutal Truth set when it's all said and done :D

And Cannibal Corpse.

DethMaiden
01-22-2010, 10:51 PM

You need to present a photo ID, so I hope your cousin has your name and face.

Chyck
01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
You need to present a photo ID, so I hope your cousin has your name and face.

Good grief. I put her name on it instead of mine so she can pick it up. You must all think I'm a total dumbass :D

DethMaiden
01-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Good grief. I put her name on it instead of mine so she can pick it up. You must all think I'm a total dumbass :D

:eyes: No, but I definitely am.

Chyck
01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
:eyes: No, but I definitely am.

Forgiven and recorded for posterity

Natrlhi
01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
A think a metalsetlists meet up is in order. At least 5 people have said they might be going.

I RSVP'ed last week, and so did my brother and two buddies of mine. We're gonna try to get even more people to go. I'm driving my minivan, which seats seven total, so I'm gonna try and fill that bad boy up to full capacity. The Metal Bus is headed to Cbus, baby! :rocker:

Fuck taking my son and his friends to soccer practice or Cedar Point - this kind of shit is the best use I can think of for that damn grocery getter. :horns:

...and yeah, we should definitely meet up somewhere. That way it will be less awkward when we all show up at your dorm or apartment after the show looking for a place to crash. ;)

DethMaiden
01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I RSVP'ed last week, and so did my brother and two buddies of mine. We're gonna try to get even more people to go. I'm driving my minivan, which seats seven total, so I'm gonna try and fill that bad boy up to full capacity. The Metal Bus is headed to Cbus, baby! :rocker:

Fuck taking my son and his friends to soccer practice or Cedar Point - this kind of shit is the best use I can think of for that damn grocery getter. :horns:

...and yeah, we should definitely meet up somewhere. That way it will be less awkward when we all show up at your dorm or apartment after the show looking for a place to crash. ;)

I plan on getting there wicked early. We should all go to Magnolia Thunderpussy before getting in line. The bands are bound to be hanging out in there.

ChildrenofSodom
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM

You are a badass! I propose we all meet in Columbus early, we can go to Magnolia Thunderpussy for a bit, but we should all go as one big metal crowd to a burger joint or wings place on High Street (between venues) and have a chat. I wanna meet this badass Dad known as Natrlhi, and this mysterious newcomer Chyck.

idrinkwine732
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
If my pops was into metal I'd be totally happy

gilpdawg
01-25-2010, 02:21 AM
You are a badass! I propose we all meet in Columbus early, we can go to Magnolia Thunderpussy for a bit, but we should all go as one big metal crowd to a burger joint or wings place on High Street (between venues) and have a chat. I wanna meet this badass Dad known as Natrlhi, and this mysterious newcomer Chyck.
I'll be down, since I'm probably coming to this one alone.

Where exactly is Magnolia Thunderpussy in comparison to the venues? I've never been there. I've only been down that strip once or twice, and kind of halfway looked for it, and never saw it.

Chyck
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM

I'm "mysterious." Awesome.

Sure, why not. I'm always up for meeting new people, especially fellow loverz of the metalz. It's just me making the trip, so as long as ya'll don't think that the N00B is crashing your party, I'm game.

What, exactly, is Magnolia Thunderpussy? My cousin said it was a "really cool music place," but I'm getting the feeling that there's a lot more to the story...

DethMaiden
01-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm "mysterious." Awesome.

Sure, why not. I'm always up for meeting new people, especially fellow loverz of the metalz. It's just me making the trip, so as long as ya'll don't think that the N00B is crashing your party, I'm game.

What, exactly, is Magnolia Thunderpussy? My cousin said it was a "really cool music place," but I'm getting the feeling that there's a lot more to the story...

A badass record store with t-shirts and patches and that kind of stuff too that isn't exactly "specialty metal" but has a TON of metal that's hard to find elsewhere.

ChildrenofSodom
01-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll be down, since I'm probably coming to this one alone.

Where exactly is Magnolia Thunderpussy in comparison to the venues? I've never been there. I've only been down that strip once or twice, and kind of halfway looked for it, and never saw it.

Magnolia Thunderpussy is attached to Skullys.

Natrlhi
01-25-2010, 11:35 AM
You are a badass! I propose we all meet in Columbus early, we can go to Magnolia Thunderpussy for a bit, but we should all go as one big metal crowd to a burger joint or wings place on High Street (between venues) and have a chat. I wanna meet this badass Dad known as Natrlhi, and this mysterious newcomer Chyck.:lol: If you met me on any normal day, you'd probably think I was square as hell - until you got me talking about teh metal. Then you'd be shocked that I know and like what I do, considering how I look. I do wear the appropriate garb for shows, though - sans tattoos and piercings. :D

If my pops was into metal I'd be totally happyMy son is only three years old, and he already knows band names like Meshuggah, Baroness, Russian Circles, Isis, Pelican, etc. What a good boy! :D

I'm not saying he recognizes one band from the other, but he's familiar with the names. He also knows how to bang his head and throw up the devil horns. My wife is thrilled (not). :eyes: (Actually, she thinks it's cute...most of the time.)

A badass record store with t-shirts and patches and that kind of stuff too that isn't exactly "specialty metal" but has a TON of metal that's hard to find elsewhere.

Awesome record stores are teh shit. So hard to find good ones. My wife and I went to NYC last September for our ten-year anniversary, and I dragged her to like three or four of those places just to satisfy my jones for finding new (or old) shit in new places. I wanted to go to the place right next to the Newport when I went to the Clutch show in Cbus, but there was no time before the show, and of course they were closed afterward. I'm down for any decent record store, especially one with a name like that. :fist:

DethMaiden
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Awesome record stores are teh shit. So hard to find good ones. My wife and I went to NYC last September for our ten-year anniversary, and I dragged her to like three or four of those places just to satisfy my jones for finding new (or old) shit in new places. I wanted to go to the place right next to the Newport when I went to the Clutch show in Cbus, but there was no time before the show, and of course they were closed afterward. I'm down for any decent record store, especially one with a name like that. :fist:

The ones right by Newport blow donkey dick. Magnolia is the shit though.

mankvill
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2646/86461110.jpg

Circus: 18+
Newport Music Hall: All Ages
Skully's: 18+
Bernie's Distillery: 21+

edit: if it were me:

5:00 - 5:40 = Landmine Marathon
6:20 - 7:00 = Lightning Swords Of Death
7:00 - 7:40 = 3 Inches Of Blood
8:00 - 8:40 = D.R.I.
9:20 - 9:45 = Magrudergrind
10:15 - 11:00 = Absu

edit again:

Forgot that Bernie's is 21+:

5:00 - 5:40 = Landmine Marathon
6:20 - 7:00 = Saviours
7:00 - 7:40 = 3 Inches Of Blood
8:00 - 8:40 = D.R.I.
9:20 - 9:45 = Magrudergrind
10:00 - 11:00 = Shrinebuilder

ChildrenofSodom
02-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Mankvill, get your Jayhawk ass up to Ohio!

mankvill
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Mankvill, get your Jayhawk ass up to Ohio!

but

i am seeing the black dahlia murder that day

^_^

DethMaiden
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Derr totally changed my mind. Disregard.

ADD
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Seriously bogus scheduling on this thing. Yob Ludicra and Voivod at the same time? :bricks:

DethMaiden
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Seriously bogus scheduling on this thing. Yob Ludicra and Voivod at the same time? :bricks:

Here's how it makes sense to me:

Every black metal band is at Bernie's.
Every "classic" metal band is at Newport.
Every hipster-friendly band is at Skully's (which is why I'm spending most of my night there ;))
And most of the Circus is the premiere grind acts that are coming.

ADD
02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Whatever scheduling an event like that must be a pain, can't please everyone.

Natrlhi
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
most of the Circus is the premiere grind acts that are coming.
Landmine Marathon would like to have a word with you. Wait, no...they just informed me they would simply like to crush your skull into dust and smoke it through a filthy crack pipe. Yeah. That's what they just said to me.

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Landmine Marathon would like to have a word with you. Wait, no...they just informed me they would simply like to crush your skull into dust and smoke it through a filthy crack pipe. Yeah. That's what they just said to me.

I really don't think of them as grindcore. I guess I don't really know what grindcore *is* but usually I think of it as really unpleasant short bursts of sound that don't have much form and certainly no melody. Landmine Marathon to me is just death metal.

Natrlhi
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I really don't think of them as grindcore. I guess I don't really know what grindcore *is* but usually I think of it as really unpleasant short bursts of sound that don't have much form and certainly no melody. Landmine Marathon to me is just death metal.I don't know - I've heard them described as grindcore, but really I was just trying to be funny. I certainly don't care enough about sub-genres and who belongs in what to argue with you. I'm just glad you want to see Landmine Marathon at Scion, and so do I - then we'll go and get our asses Struck by [fucking] Lightning! :fist:

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't know - I've heard them described as grindcore, but really I was just trying to be funny. I certainly don't care enough about sub-genres and who belongs in what to argue with you. I'm just glad you want to see Landmine Marathon at Scion, and so do I - then we'll go and get our asses Struck by [fucking] Lightning! :fist:

Those two are the biggest ones for me behind Shrinebuilder. Glad the night's gonna start off right. :fist: