PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I finally caved and saw it last night. Good things first: Yes, the visuals and effects were stunning and very impressive. The 3D was okay, though I think it could have been a bit more subtle in some places. It may be that I'm just not that into the whole 3D thing to begin with, though. From the movies I've seen that featured it, it didn't really add anything. One thing's for sure: this movie is definitely a game-changer in terms of how movies get made from now on. I appreciated the fact that not much time is wasted with explanation in the beginning (I really hate when movies do that). Also, all the various animals and creatures that inhabited the planet were damn cool (though some of the noises they made were blatantly copied and pasted from Jurassic Park).

Now the bad stuff. The story is predicatable, derivative tripe that would barely pass for an animated Disney movie (and in fact, it rips off several of those). The overall message is delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face, and most of the acting is mediocre at best (Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver are two notable exceptions). The main villain is so cartoonishly evil (especially towards the end) that I mostly laughed any time he was on screen. Finally, there's the whole "white guilt" subtext to the plot, which I found extremely annoying. The poor natives are helpless against their oppressors until the valiant white guy comes along to save them all. Ugh, spare me. Not only is it insulting, it's all been done a million times.

DethMaiden
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I finally caved and saw it last night. Good things first: Yes, the visuals and effects were stunning and very impressive. The 3D was okay, though I think it could have been a bit more subtle in some places. It may be that I'm just not that into the whole 3D thing to begin with, though. From the movies I've seen that featured it, it didn't really add anything. One thing's for sure: this movie is definitely a game-changer in terms of how movies get made from now on. I appreciated the fact that not much time is wasted with explanation in the beginning (I really hate when movies do that). Also, all the various animals and creatures that inhabited the planet were damn cool (though some of the noises they made were blatantly copied and pasted from Jurassic Park).

Now the bad stuff. The story is predicatable, derivative tripe that would barely pass for an animated Disney movie (and in fact, it rips off several of those). The overall message is delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face, and most of the acting is mediocre at best (Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver are two notable exceptions). The main villain is so cartoonishly evil (especially towards the end) that I mostly laughed any time he was on screen. Finally, there's the whole "white guilt" subtext to the plot, which I found extremely annoying. The poor natives are helpless against their oppressors until the valiant white guy comes along to save them all. Ugh, spare me. Not only is it insulting, it's all been done a million times.

All of these reasons are why I'm not going to see it, even the things you can vaguely construe as positive.

And to those who want to jerk off all over the CGI, never, ever forget that as soon as Yoda stopped being a puppet the movies started sucking. Correlation or causation? Who's to say?

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Also, there wasn't nearly enough Michelle Rodriguez hotness.

Div
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
i really think the racism was unintentional and that people are just looking for a reason to bitch. if he was a black actor would that make things better? if so then that in itself is just racism. if it werent for a human going over to their side i doubt the aliens wouldve stood much chance against a more technologically advanced enemy that they knew nothing about. it wasnt racism, it was tactics.

also, this movie is was already made and was called fern gully, which was better because it had robin williams as an insane bat.

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes, they could have used a black, Asian, Hispanic, or other minority actor for the role. But they didn't.

SerpentineVIVIVI
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, they could have used a black, Asian, Hispanic, or other minority actor for the role. But they didn't.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If they had used a black guy, they favor the black people. If they pick a Hispanic person, same thing.

If you use that argument, ANYTHING can be classified as racism. Jesus, who the fuck cares if he was white or brown or yellow. Christ, give it a rest.

Div
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

theres many reasons the guy got the role. budget, connections, acting capability... but i doubt james cameron would go out of his way to try and put some racial undertones in his movies. i mean he's not spielberg or michael bay.

btw the jurassic park sound effects thing annoys me too. god knows how many times ive heard that t-rex growl being recycled.

SomewhereInTime72
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM

American movie.
America is 74% white.
If there is no racism involved, there should be a 74% probability of the guy being white*.
The only thing that bothers me is if the whole CAST of a movie is white (or mostly white when the setting is more urban).

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty decent 3D remake of Pocahontas*. Visual effects really weren't that great, and the movie started about 30 potentially interesting threads of direction, but pursued just about none of them. It was merely decent...

*besides, john smith was white in the original why would they change that

JRA
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Here are my thoughts on this movie:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/15043-ep036

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Here are my thoughts on this movie:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/15043-ep036
That was by far the funniest thing that show has done so far.

JRA
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
That was by far the funniest thing that show has done so far.

Didn't know you were a Bum Reviews fan.

SMURFYCATS!

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Well that's because you changed the link, jerk :hmm:

DethMaiden
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Well that's because you changed the link, jerk :hmm:

Yeah.

The Cleveland Show thing was painfully unfunny.

The Bum Review thing was less funny than that.

JRA
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Damn, just as I thought I had changed it quick enough.

But what the hell would a song about going "Balls Deep" have to do with Avatar?

mankvill
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Isn't the story Pocahontas in space?

mastodon421
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I couldn't stand this movie. I am not going to go on a rant right now but it is the most overated film in the history of cinema.

Everyone that one that doesn't see this is making a great choice

ChildrenofSodom
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
The White Messiah Fable, which this film uses, is a very common Hollywood/Disney plot device. Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai, for example. Is it racist? No, not necessarily, but it plays heavily upon the racial sensitivies of the crowd. A white hero makes the film more relateable, and it is as if a member of the audiences is actively involved in saving these poor 'Natives.' And in some films, like Blind Side and Glory, based on reality, they acheive the same effect by maximizing the few white peoples' roles, and downplaying the black people (the focus of the movie.)

In general, even if they had used a nonwhite person (seriously, they could have chosen any race and they happened to go with a white guy? C'mon, nothing in Hollywood is 'accidental.'), the idea of a human having to come to the rescue of the poor weak aliens is pretty lame too. They used that in District 9, which I actually liked, but a trite concept nonetheless.

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 03:31 PM
District 9 doesn't really use that concept at all, though. He becomes an alien against his will, and wants no part of it. He makes no attempt to "fit in" with the aliens, and only helps one alien so he can get something in return (a cure). It's pretty clear that he has no interest in helping the aliens as a group or in learning more about them. He isn't a savior of anyone, save the lone alien who he helps, like I said, for selfish reasons.

ChildrenofSodom
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
District 9 doesn't really use that concept at all, though. He becomes an alien against his will, and wants no part of it. He makes no attempt to "fit in" with the aliens, and only helps one alien so he can get something in return (a cure). It's pretty clear that he has no interest in helping the aliens as a group or in learning more about them. He isn't a savior of anyone, save the lone alien who he helps, like I said, for selfish reasons.

Thats true. I didn't think of that. I take back what I said.

SomewhereInTime72
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
And somehow, this made him into a better and more interesting character. :)

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
And somehow, this made him into a better and more interesting character. :)
Well, that's because District 9 had subtlety and nuance, two words that weren't even in James Cameron's vocabulary when he made Avatar.

ChildrenofSodom
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, that's because District 9 had subtlety and nuance, two words that weren't even in James Cameron's vocabulary when he made Avatar.

I never saw Avatar, but I suspect it beats you over the head with the message?

powerslave_85
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I never saw Avatar, but I suspect it beats you over the head with the message?

The overall message is delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face :cool:

mankvill
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Well come on guys. Jesus was white. Born in Kentucky.

ChildrenofSodom
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Well come on guys. Jesus was white. Born in Kentucky.

Missouri, actually. Or Utah. I forget.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how in every alien invasion movie, America's military is the one that comes to the rescue. Hmm.

DethMaiden
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Anyway, I was just thinking about how in every alien invasion movie, America's military is the one that comes to the rescue. Hmm.

There's a line at the beginning of District 9 I really liked: "They didn't come to Washington, or New York, or Los Angeles like everyone expected. They came to Johannesburg." Or something like that. I really liked that.

Div
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM

maybe cause most of them are american films? noone in america wants to go to a theater to see a bunch of french fighter pilots save the world from aliens.

also:

>(long ass rant how Avatar is racially insensetive)

>"btw guise i never saw it"

ChildrenofSodom
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Right, but that idea is ridiculous. I still enjoy those films, its just nice to dissect it a little bit. No one is calling YOU racist...

Fe Maiden
02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If they had used a black guy, they favor the black people. If they pick a Hispanic person, same thing.

If you use that argument, ANYTHING can be classified as racism. Jesus, who the fuck cares if he was white or brown or yellow. Christ, give it a rest.I have not seen the movie. I may. In the previews, wasn't the guy blue?:confused:

mankvill
02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I have not seen the movie. I may. In the previews, wasn't the guy blue?:confused:

JESUS WAS BLUE

MetalIsArt
02-06-2010, 07:05 AM

Corny dialogue, a cartoony villain and overhype.

Nothing for me, and it'll be an atrocity if this wins best picture.

MetalIsArt
02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Isn't the story Pocahontas in space?

... with Dances With Wolves, Apocalypto & Delgo-elements.

The thing I hate even more than this film is the hysterical "every movie has to be in 3D now"-crazyness.

And the fanboys...

Indestructible
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I saw it a few weeks ago it wasnt bad.