PDA

View Full Version : New SAVATAGE 3-disc compilation

ravenheart
01-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Out next month on Ear Music... don't know if they distribute in the US? Same label as the latest releases from Ian Gillan, Chickenfoot, Steve Morse Band, Europe, Stratovarius, Uriah Heep etc.

The three acoustic songs at the end of CD2 are brand new recordings by Jon Oliva.

CD1: Greatest Hits Vol.1
'Power Of The Night'
'Hall Of The Mountain King'
'24 Hours Ago'
'Legions'
'Gutter Ballet'
'Summers Rain'
'When The Crowds Are Gone'
'Ghost In The Ruins'
'If I Go Away'
'NYC Don‘t Mean Nothing'
'Edge Of Thorns'
'All That I Bleed'

CD2: Greatest Hits Vol.2
'Handful Of Rain'
'Chance'
'One Child'
'I Am'
'Anymore'
'Hourglass'
'The Wake Of Magellan'
'Morphine Child'
'Anymore' (acoustic)
'Not What You See' (acoustic)
'Out On The Streets' (acoustic)

DVD – Japan Live ‘94
'Taunting Cobras'
'Edge Of Thorns'
'Chance'
'Conversation Piece'
'Nothing Going On'
'He Carves His Stone'
'Jesus Saves'
'Watching You Fall'
'Castles Burning'
'All That I Bleed'
'Stare Into The Sun'
'Damien'
'Handful Of Rain'
'Sirens'
'Gutter Ballet'
'Hall Of The Mountain King'

Fe Maiden
01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Of Rage And War is sorely missing IMO

Maiden33
01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Of Rage And War is sorely missing IMO

Not nearly as bad as Believe, Jesus Saves, The Dungeons are Calling, or Sirens.

But either way, I'll probably wind up buying this provided I can find it at a decent price. A lot of the older stuff could really use the remastering, I really, really want those acoustic bonus tracks, and I would love to get an official, good quality version of the Japan '94 show to replace my long-standing bootleg copied off of the old VHS tape.

ravenheart
01-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Not nearly as bad as Believe, Jesus Saves, The Dungeons are Calling, or Sirens.

But either way, I'll probably wind up buying this provided I can find it at a decent price. A lot of the older stuff could really use the remastering, I really, really want those acoustic bonus tracks, and I would love to get an official, good quality version of the Japan '94 show to replace my long-standing bootleg copied off of the old VHS tape.

I'm not sure anything has actually been remastered...

Maiden33
01-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure anything has actually been remastered...

The article said the tracks on the compilation will be remastered.

JRA
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Would this be a starters collection for a casual putz like me?

Maiden33
01-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Would this be a starters collection for a casual putz like me?

It's not the best possible tracklisting for a starter's compilation, but it would work. Definitely gives you fairly equal tastes of Jon and Zak's stuff, and highlights most of the better songs of each era. As I mentioned, aside from the absence of a couple of key tracks (Believe, Jesus Saves, Sirens, Dungeons are Calling), it's pretty much sound.

However, from what I've gathered, you don't like ballads. Bearing that in mind, Savatage is probably not a band you should get into.

JRA
01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
It's not the best possible tracklisting for a starter's compilation, but it would work. Definitely gives you fairly equal tastes of Jon and Zak's stuff, and highlights most of the better songs of each era. As I mentioned, aside from the absence of a couple of key tracks (Believe, Jesus Saves, Sirens, Dungeons are Calling), it's pretty much sound.

However, from what I've gathered, you don't like ballads. Bearing that in mind, Savatage is probably not a band you should get into.

I don't like Gamma Ray ballads. Beyond the Realms of Death, Ten Years Gone, Fade To Black, A Tout Le Monde, Try Me, Angles Don't Kill, Push Come to Shove, In My Life, Infinite Dreams, Nothing Can Change This Love, Love Me Forever, We Got The Right and both Crimson Idol ballads are all my jams.

ravenheart
01-09-2010, 08:47 AM
If anyone can really do ballads, it's Savatage.

Maiden33
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
If anyone can really do ballads, it's Savatage.

Word.

Jon is my absolute favorite ballad-writer. Believe, When the Crowds Are Gone, Summer's Rain, Not What You See, Back to a Reason, All That I Bleed, If I Go Away, Alone You Breathe... he's just done so many absolutely great ones.

ravenheart
01-20-2010, 03:00 AM
"That compilation is something Paul (O'Neill / producer) helped put together, I didn't have much control over it," says Oliva. "I just wanted to get something out there to kind of cap things off because I've moved on. Those reunion rumours... some people have been saying things they probably shouldn't have. There was talk about doing a show to kind of give Savatage a send-off but the logistics of doing so just made it impossible. The guys have the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I have my JOP stuff, there's a lot of other things keeping us busy. It's pretty aggravating, though, with people always asking about when it's going to happen and pushing to have one. I mean, Savatage hasn't done anything in almost 10 years! It's just a small group of people, but they just won't let it go and I can't figure out why. You have the Savatage guys in the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which was spawned from the Dead Winter Dead and Wake Of Magellan era of the band, you have Jon Oliva's Pain doing a lot of the old Savatage material, what more do you want?"

"Don't get me wrong. I love Savatage and it'll always be dear to my heart because that was my start, man. I still play the songs, I love playing those songs, but I've got a whole new career now. I'm on my fourth record with JOP for crying out loud! It's like, to the people that keep pushing for a Savatage reunion, just let it go. I've got the rights back for the Sirens and Dungeons albums, so I might do something with those in a few years, but JOP is my focus now and I'm hoping people will finally catch on that I have a new band (laughs)."

All well and good, Jon, but when you play sets containing 80-90% Savatage songs and only two JOP songs, who is it that needs to let it go?

Maiden33
01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I hate to say it, but fuck Jon Oliva. I am sick of this bullshit. When is Jon going to realize it's not just about him? Not just in the eyes of the fans but in the eyes of all the people involved. I've spoken to several of the once-members of Savatage, and the way Jon is giving them the run-around is pathetic. No one is asking him to bend over backwards (or fuck, given his current state, bend over, period), if he'd just agree to get back with the Sava-guys for like a dozen shows, world-wide, everyone would shut the fuck up and this would just die. People aren't bent out of shape because "Jon doesn't have a right to carry on from Savatage" or anything, but because Savatage just drifted into nothing without any goodbyes. They just went on indefinite hiatus. If they did like a dozen dates as a "farewell" tour, people would feel some sense of closure and accept that it's over.

Also, someone I know put it very well when they said: "If it was all about Jon and that's all people cared about, JOP would be headlining festivals instead of playing at noon".