PDA

View Full Version : I finally get it!!!

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I am somewhat of Fates Warning fan and really enjoy the Ray Alder era. One album though in particular just never seemed to do much for me. I've gone back to it from time to time to give it a fair shake and still it just did not really grab me. Lately, however, I listened to it a lot and gave it some serious study and have now come to the conclusion that A Pleasant Shade of Grey is a fucking masterpiece:light:

JRA
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
I thought this was a sudden discovery of one's love for Sleater-Kinney. :eyes:

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I thought this was a sudden discovery of one's love for Sleater-Kinney. :eyes:who?:confused:

JRA
01-05-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOM107PIxV8

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOM107PIxV8I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth:eyes:

TonyD
01-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Somebody need singing lessons, and a "no skill ≠ raw" speech.

ravenheart
01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
A Pleasant Shade of Grey is a fucking masterpiece:light:

Haha. Duh.

powerslave_85
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
:finger::finger::finger:

SomewhereInTime72
01-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I think that song is actually pretty good. :eyes:

powerslave_85
01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Which song is it? Can't get on YouTube at work.

JRA
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Which song is it? Can't get on YouTube at work.

Modern Girl. And just so you know, it was the first song that came up when I typed Sleater Kinney into the search engine, I didn't sit around going "which one will really piss them off?"

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I was hoping this would have turned into a discussion of the album I mentioned but I guess it's now too late for that!

SomewhereInTime72
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I'm not really that into APSOG... FWX is probably my favorite post-Parallels album of theirs.

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I'm not really that into APSOG... FWX is probably my favorite post-Parallels album of theirs.That's just the thing.......I wasn't really into it either and then all of a sudden it hit me and it just made perfect sense!

Maiden33
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I'm not really that into APSOG... FWX is probably my favorite post-Parallels album of theirs.

How the hell does that title not go to Inside Out. To be completely honest recently I've started to feel Inside Out is about equal to Parallels, which is saying a lot considering I'd put Parallels in my top 20 albums of all-time.

But yeah, FWX is my favorite post-Inside Out record. But APSOG has grown on me a lot overtime. Though, it should still be noted, I seriously do use it as a go-to "Put me to sleep" album when I listen to music before bed.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Inside out is a great album. It has one of my favorite FW tunes. Island in the stream.

I recently listened to PSOG all the way through and I still feel the same about it. I like about half of the tracks, but on the whole it's just ok.

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Inside out is a great album. It has one of my favorite FW tunes. Island in the stream.

I recently listened to PSOG all the way through and I still feel the same about it. I like about half of the tracks, but on the whole it's just ok.I've discovered that the album should not really be looked at as being broken up into in tracks but as a whole epic single track and it then makes more sense.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I realize it's meant to be listened to as a whole and was only broken into parts for listener convenience. I'm glad they did. That way it can be enjoyed either way. At progpower they played parts 3, 4 and 11.

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I realize it's meant to be listened to as a whole and was only broken into parts for listener convenience. I'm glad they did. That way it can be enjoyed either way. At progpower they played parts 3, 4 and 11.And I know what you mean that some parts are better than others but....the whole is greater than the sum of its parts......:D

zgodt
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I tried to listen to some of it once in a used record store and got really bored.

So instead, after seeing metalhead after metalhead on the IMBB praise it to the skies even though I had remembered it as a piece of crap, I bought Painkiller.

I should've gone with the FW instead. :hecho:

Fe Maiden
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I tried to listen to some of it once in a used record store and got really bored.

So instead, after seeing metalhead after metalhead on the IMBB praise it to the skies even though I had remembered it as a piece of crap, I bought Painkiller.

I should've gone with the FW instead. :hecho::lol: APSOG is terrific background music for doing paperwork or something of that nature. The more I listen the more I like about it and I'm now really starting to get into and understand more deeply the lyrics which are quite impressive.

BTW, rumor has it that Frank Arresti may be rejoining FW for a new album on 2010????????

Maiden33
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
:lol: APSOG is terrific background music for doing paperwork or something of that nature. The more I listen the more I like about it and I'm now really starting to get into and understand more deeply the lyrics which are quite impressive.

BTW, rumor has it that Frank Arresti may be rejoining FW for a new album on 2010????????

Supposedly there will be a new record in 2010, but I've heard nothing in regards to whether or not Frank will be on it. Obviously Jim and Ray will be there, Joey Vera is the obvious stand-in bassist (I actually think he's really a member now), and Bobby Jarzombek will be drumming on it (fuck yeah). I could get my hopes up but it probably will be another naptime album with a few good songs.

DethMaiden
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
This happened with me over the last month or so with Ziltoid the Omniscient. I barely even liked it when I first got it but it's borderline BRILLIANT now in my opinion. Unrelated, but still. Kinda related. :D

TonyD
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
^ Now you're talkin

ravenheart
01-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I've discovered that the album should not really be looked at as being broken up into in tracks but as a whole epic single track and it then makes more sense.

Lol, what gave that away? Maybe that all of the "tracks" have the same title and are just parts of the same song? ;)

ravenheart
01-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Did Frank ever officially leave? He was with them last time they came to London.

Fe Maiden
01-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Lol, what gave that away? Maybe that all of the "tracks" have the same title and are just parts of the same song? ;)Well, duh! I meant in listening to it, it must be listened to in its entirety to make more sense rather than hearing a track here or there out of order and making judgements.

ravenheart
01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
I had the benefit of buying the album without hearing it ;)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Did Frank ever officially leave? He was with them last time they came to London.

I believe he only tours with them. No recording.

Maiden33
01-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I believe he only tours with them. No recording.

Yeah, these days anyway. There was a period where he wasn't even touring with them. Frank left between Inside Out and A Pleasant Shade of Gray. The three records since (APSOG, Disconnected, FWX) were all just with Matheos on all guitars. There was a brief period where they tried touring just as a four-piece but with a live keyboard player, which didn't work all that well. Eventually Bernie Versailles came into the picture as a live guitarist - hence how he and Ray met and eventually hooked up in Redemption.

Frank started playing live with them again on the FWX tour, I believe, and has been touring with them (for the small amount they've done) ever since. But yeah, no albums since Inside Out back in '94.