PDA

View Full Version : Noisecreep's "Artists of the 2000's"

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
With all of the lists being posted hither and yon recently, I saw the following on a web site that I have never been to before, but I thought it would generate some intesting conversation, so I thought I would post a link to it here. Let the drama commence!

http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/12/08/artists-2000s

P.S. - For those of you who don't feel like clicking through, here are the band names, but I suggest reading the blurbs that go with each one, because it makes for more interesting dialog once you get back to this site.

10. High on Fire
9. Amon Amarth
8. Lamb of God
7. Pig Destroyer
6. Tool
5. Behemoth
4. Slipknot
3. Mastodon
2. Converge
1. Opeth

Disclaimer: Natrlhi neither endorses nor opposes the inclusion of any of the above artists on this list. :D

mastodon421
01-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Personally I think this is a very good list. I am a fan of all 10 of those bands. I would proably put Between The Buried and Me and The Black Dahlia Murder on there as well but I am very content with that list those all great bands.

powerslave_85
01-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Converge should be #1.

JRA
01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
At least Mastodon is higher than Shitknot.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
A pretty standard list. Awesome bands who aren't extremely well known, but made some of the best metal music this decade (High On Fire, Pig Destroyer), good popular metal bands bands who made good music (Mastodon, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Opeth), popular bands who aren't technically metal but still made amazing "metal" music (Converge) and overrated bullshit that sucks dick (Tool, Lamb Of God, Slipknot).

All in a days work. lol i trol u

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
You fucker.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
You fucker.

:lovedup:

Dextrimental
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Id agree with most of this list to be honest.. most of those bands did something fairly awesome this decade, hell most of this broke through to the mainstream against all odds..

zgodt
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I have never heard Converge. Maybe I should?

powerslave_85
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Considering I'd pick them as the best heavy band of the decade who put out the best heavy album of the decade, I'd say yes ;)

es156
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I have never heard Converge.

You are a lucky man.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
You are a lucky man.

:finger:

DethMaiden
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
You are a lucky man.

:lol: I'm inclined to agree. I've tried so fucking hard to find them listenable but I still only like one song - "Grim Heart/Black Rose" - and the lead vocals aren't even done by Jacob "I Think Energy Can Replace Talent" Bannon.

es156
01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
:lol: I'm inclined to agree. I've tried so fucking hard to find them listenable but I still only like one song - "Grim Heart/Black Rose" - and the lead vocals aren't even done by Jacob "I Think Energy Can Replace Talent" Bannon.

As far as I can tell, all of their lyrics are the same word screamed over and over and over again. I don't know what that word is, but I think it is an angry word.

Same with Suicide Silence.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 05:02 PM

not funny ;_;

DethMaiden
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
As far as I can tell, all of their lyrics are the same word screamed over and over and over again. I don't know what that word is, but I think it is an angry word.

Haha, now I won't throw them under that bus. I don't like them, but I "get it". Suicide Silence I really don't get at all. :barf:

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks like a very specific set of fans they're trying to please with that list.

es156
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Haha, now I won't throw them under that bus. I don't like them, but I "get it". Suicide Silence I really don't get at all. :barf:

Seriously? I would love to know the difference between the 2 bands, 'cause I don't hear much difference. Now granted, I have only heard these bands live.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Seriously? I would love to know the difference between the 2 bands, 'cause I don't hear much difference. Now granted, I have only heard these bands live.

oh lawd listen to Jane Doe and You Fail Me right nao.

powerslave_85
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
:mad:

es156
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
:mad:

I know, I am an uneducated old fool. Not really trying to grind your gears.

;)

es156
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
oh lawd listen to Jane Doe and You Fail Me right nao.

No thanks.

:)

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
All of the above posts: :lol:

Converge - polarizing the fuck out of metalheads since 1990.

I totally get it when people make comments like Eric did with the vocals, but I also have to appreciate the raw energy of their performance. The music is heavy as fuck, too. Oddly enough, I said the same thing the first time I (unfortunately) saw Suicide Silence live. I find Converge acceptable-to-good (depending on the song, and my mood), but Suicide Silence...um, not so much. :D

Maiden33
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Yes, ie all people who post on here anymore except for like a half dozen people.

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Yes, ie all people who post on here anymore except for like a half dozen people.

Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far. Lots of folks on here don't like Slipknot all that much, Lamb of God takes a lot of heat here, and of course we've already beat the Converge topic to death.

:deadhorse: (<---Huzzah! I finally got to use that smiley!)

...but it definitely isn't a list that would interest folks who are primarily interested in power metal and the like, I'll give you that.

Maiden33
01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Eh, I don't know if I'd go that far. Lots of folks on here don't like Slipknot all that much, Lamb of God takes a lot of heat here, and of course we've already beat the Converge topic to death.

:deadhorse: (<---Huzzah! I finally got to use that smiley!)

...but it definitely isn't a list that would interest folks who are primarily interested in power metal and the like, I'll give you that.

Well, to be fair, the only reason lamb of God takes a lot of shit here is because most of the people who aren't usually bashing them tend to love them to death. That's really the way it is with most things. The negative opinion is never really expressed unless there is already a positive opinion in place.

I only took a glance at the list, but it really just struck me as a crash course in all the bands I see frequently discussed here anymore that I have no interest in, that's all.

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Well, to be fair, the only reason lamb of God takes a lot of shit here is because most of the people who aren't usually bashing them tend to love them to death. That's really the way it is with most things. The negative opinion is never really expressed unless there is already a positive opinion in place.

I only took a glance at the list, but it really just struck me as a crash course in all the bands I see frequently discussed here anymore that I have no interest in, that's all.
Good points all.

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Could very well be...I don't know a damn thing about the site or what its target demographic is.

zgodt
01-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Considering I'd pick them as the best heavy band of the decade who put out the best heavy album of the decade, I'd say yes ;)

What album would that be?

powerslave_85
01-04-2010, 06:10 AM
What album would that be?
Jane Doe

JRA
01-04-2010, 06:24 AM
not funny ;_;

yes it is. :lol:

jhdeity
01-04-2010, 06:28 AM
I don't have a problem with the bands listed but more of the order. I will say High on Fire have gone from a band I caught 1 or 2 songs from as an opener to a Top 5 band I want to see live in 2010. Pretty much over every band listed there. I guess I have to give Opeth another listen. Every time I tried to get into them they bore me and I move on.

ravenheart
01-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Could very well be...I don't know a damn thing about the site or what its target demographic is.

I've never heard of the site either, but for me those are all bands just outside of the mainstream (in metal terms) that metal fans who don't listen to that many bands, but want to come off looking like they know some "underground shit", name as their favourites.

They're like a second tier of mainstream for the knowing.

Not entirely true of all the fans of those bands here, more or less. Most people here listen to more than that. But there's a huge part of metal fandom who listen to that list of bands right there, as well as the obvious like Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, and think that makes them the complete metal fan.

They're also a particularly vocal cross-section, because they think they know metal, which I strongly suspect is the main driver for publishing that list. It gets all the fans to which it appeals talking about the site.

Natrlhi
01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
I've never heard of the site either, but for me those are all bands just outside of the mainstream (in metal terms) that metal fans who don't listen to that many bands, but want to come off looking like they know some "underground shit", name as their favourites.

They're like a second tier of mainstream for the knowing.

Not entirely true of all the fans of those bands here, more or less. Most people here listen to more than that. But there's a huge part of metal fandom who listen to that list of bands right there, as well as the obvious like Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, and think that makes them the complete metal fan.

They're also a particularly vocal cross-section, because they think they know metal, which I strongly suspect is the main driver for publishing that list. It gets all the fans to which it appeals talking about the site.

I feel you, and I strongly suspect you're right.

ravenheart
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
I like five bands off the list, myself. But were I compiling a similar list, I'd only consider Opeth and Mastodon from those ten. A list such as this should be comprised of bands who not only have turned in a high quality body of work for the time period in question, but who have been important bands to metal.

Natrlhi
01-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I like five bands off the list, myself. But were I compiling a similar list, I'd only consider Opeth and Mastodon from those ten. A list such as this should be comprised of bands who not only have turned in a high quality body of work for the time period in question, but who have been important bands to metal.
Interesting thought. Based on those stipulations, I would argue that High on Fire is "getting there". Perhaps after their next album.

DethMaiden
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
10. High on Fire - overrated
9. Amon Amarth - weird pick but great band
8. Lamb of God - shitty
7. Pig Destroyer - somehow overrated by the media lately despite being quite good
6. Tool - probably could be higher but I guess they only did have two records in the 00s
5. Behemoth - waaaaaaaaaaay overrated
4. Slipknot - this must be a joke
3. Mastodon - only #3?!
2. Converge - I hate them but I expect them to make a list like this.
1. Opeth - awesome!

Missing Between the Buried and Me most egregiously.

Natrlhi
01-07-2010, 07:52 AM
10. High on Fire - overrated
9. Amon Amarth - weird pick but great band
8. Lamb of God - shitty
7. Pig Destroyer - somehow overrated by the media lately despite being quite good
6. Tool - probably could be higher but I guess they only did have two records in the 00s
5. Behemoth - waaaaaaaaaaay overrated
4. Slipknot - this must be a joke
3. Mastodon - only #3?!
2. Converge - I hate them but I expect them to make a list like this.
1. Opeth - awesome!

Missing Between the Buried and Me most egregiously.

After purposely giveing it a couple of days to avoid making a knee-jerk response, I have the following to say about your comments:

10. See below.
9. :agree:
8. Basically.
7. I think I agree, but I'm not sure how they have been overrated lately - I haven't heard that much about them lately in the media, honestly.
6. Definitely agree.
5. Take out the "waaaaaaaaaaay", and I guess I can get on board, but I still like them quite a bit (they're fun live, too).
4. Definitely.
3. :lol:
2. Take out the word "hate" and replace with "get".
1. Sorry, never been a big fan of the clean vox in Opeth - talented band, to be sure, but they're just not in my wheelhouse.

So really, the only one I had significant heartburn with was #10. I like High on Fire a great deal. I've seen them live twice, had a blast both times, met Matt Pike both times, and taken video of their most recent set. I have all their albums, all their stuff is on my MP3 player, and I listen to it quite often when I work out, to help get me even more motivated. I tell anyone who asks me about them that they are so much fun to listen to, they need to check them out. Pike is one of the ugliest motherfuckers on the planet, but then so is one of his two main influences - Lemmy. Pike's voice sounds a lot like Lemmy's (but without the British accent, and grittier). His other primary influence is Tommy Iommi - hello! Pike is one of the best guitarists in heavy music today, within a certain context. He is not Yngwie Malmsteen, or Muhammed Suicmez, or [insert name of incredibly technical guitarist here], but he is a master at writing and playing difficult, old school power guitar licks as well as or better than some of his greatest influences, who are among the best guitarists of all time. High on Fire also has some awesome, pounding, tribal-style drums, and some wicked bass as well (not technical, but heavy as hell and fun to listen to). They are only three guys, but they make more beautiful noise than many bands I've seen and heard who have five or six members.

What's there to not to like about High on Fire, really? Maybe that they aren't BTBAM? Fine. Bump somebody else off the list (like Shitknot), and let HoF and BTBAM both be on there if you want, but in my opinion, HoF has earned their position on the list by virtue of hard work, and being true to the music that they love (that, and simply being very entertaining). High on Fire has few frills - they aren't technical wizards, but they are still very good musicians. At the end of the day, they make super-heavy music that isn't setting any land speed records or making heavy use of sweep arpeggios or pick scrapes or the like, but it still definitely makes me want to bang my head, or bench press a house when I'm in the gym. That works for me. :fist:

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
1. Sorry, never been a big fan of the clean vox in Opeth - talented band, to be sure, but they're just not in my wheelhouse.

Randomly singling out this comment just to ask, have you heard Watershed? You might like it, because Akerfeldt has basically been steadily improving his clean vocals over the years and they're basically at their best on that album.

You not being a fan is just a little odd to me, because given your other tastes, I would sort of guess that Opeth is right up at least one of your alleys. ;) :tongue:

Natrlhi
01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Randomly singling out this comment just to ask, have you heard Watershed? You might like it, because Akerfeldt has basically been steadily improving his clean vocals over the years and they're basically at their best on that album.

You not being a fan is just a little odd to me, because given your other tastes, I would sort of guess that Opeth is right up at least one of your alleys. ;) :tongue:

Y'know, I would have thought so too, actually. :lol:

I definitely don't *dislike* Opeth. There are parts of their songs that I think are absolutely incredible (especially on Watershed, which I have heard more than once), and as you had observed indirectly, I do like proggy stuff like Cynic a lot. Also, I do realize that the clean lyrics are well done from a talent standpoint, it's just that to me they sound a bit - I don't know - girly? I mean, there is lots of stuff with clean vocals that I like, I just don't dig it when Akerfeldt does it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it really is just a personal taste thing, and you can't really explain or analyze that too much.

Note that I never have - and never will - knock Opeth. I'm smart enough to know talent when I hear it, even if I'm not in love with the style. It's just that, given my relatively lukewarm feelings about them, it would be hard for me to place Opeth at #1 on a list like this if it were my list.

More power to Opeth, one of the most talented bands that I just can't seem to love! :snivel:

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Y'know, I would have thought so too, actually. :lol:

I definitely don't *dislike* Opeth. There are parts of their songs that I think are absolutely incredible (especially on Watershed, which I have heard more than once), and as you had observed indirectly, I do like proggy stuff like Cynic a lot. Also, I do realize that the clean lyrics are well done from a talent standpoint, it's just that to me they sound a bit - I don't know - girly? I mean, there is lots of stuff with clean vocals that I like, I just don't dig it when Akerfeldt does it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it really is just a personal taste thing, and you can't really explain or analyze that too much.

Note that I never have - and never will - knock Opeth. I'm smart enough to know talent when I hear it, even if I'm not in love with the style. It's just that, given my relatively lukewarm feelings about them, it would be hard for me to place Opeth at #1 on a list like this if it were my list.

More power to Opeth, one of the most talented bands that I just can't seem to love! :snivel:
Yeah, I can totally get where you're coming from actually... I was just a little taken aback. :tongue: :lol:

DethMaiden
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
So really, the only one I had significant heartburn with was #10. I like High on Fire a great deal. I've seen them live twice, had a blast both times, met Matt Pike both times, and taken video of their most recent set. I have all their albums, all their stuff is on my MP3 player, and I listen to it quite often when I work out, to help get me even more motivated. I tell anyone who asks me about them that they are so much fun to listen to, they need to check them out. Pike is one of the ugliest motherfuckers on the planet, but then so is one of his two main influences - Lemmy. Pike's voice sounds a lot like Lemmy's (but without the British accent, and grittier). His other primary influence is Tommy Iommi - hello! Pike is one of the best guitarists in heavy music today, within a certain context. He is not Yngwie Malmsteen, or Muhammed Suicmez, or [insert name of incredibly technical guitarist here], but he is a master at writing and playing difficult, old school power guitar licks as well as or better than some of his greatest influences, who are among the best guitarists of all time. High on Fire also has some awesome, pounding, tribal-style drums, and some wicked bass as well (not technical, but heavy as hell and fun to listen to). They are only three guys, but they make more beautiful noise than many bands I've seen and heard who have five or six members.

What's there to not to like about High on Fire, really? Maybe that they aren't BTBAM? Fine. Bump somebody else off the list (like Shitknot), and let HoF and BTBAM both be on there if you want, but in my opinion, HoF has earned their position on the list by virtue of hard work, and being true to the music that they love (that, and simply being very entertaining). High on Fire has few frills - they aren't technical wizards, but they are still very good musicians. At the end of the day, they make super-heavy music that isn't setting any land speed records or making heavy use of sweep arpeggios or pick scrapes or the like, but it still definitely makes me want to bang my head, or bench press a house when I'm in the gym. That works for me. :fist:

I don't hate High on Fire. I really enjoyed their live set opening for Opeth. But I just can't get on board with them on record for whatever reason. I get what they're doing but I'm just not that thrilled about it.