PDA

View Full Version : Maiden update - album probably in 2011

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 06:39 AM
From Eddie Trunk:

"Got a call from Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain last night (January 1st). Nicko just opened a new restaurant in Florida called Rock & Roll Ribs. Said it's gone well and he is planning an official grand opening soon. Nicko also told me Maiden are headed into the studio in a couple weeks to start work on a new CD. He said there was about eight songs written so far so the band would probably need to come up with a few more new songs while recording. Said the material was a little different than past albums and they were taking their time with the recording schedule. New CD probably won't come out until 2011 however a good chance of some Maiden live shows over the summer. I'll keep you posted as I learn more and can share. Nicko will be coming on the radio shows soon to update us on all fronts. Always fun to talk with him, real good guy."

PowerMaiden
01-03-2010, 07:30 AM
thanks for posting this buddy :horns:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
01-03-2010, 11:34 AM
How on earth is this not supposed to come out until next year? If they're actually starting to record soon, there's no good reason, why, given their general work pace, it shouldn't be out in the fall. Even if they do tour a little over the summer.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Double album

SomewhereInTime72
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Double album

please god no

Butcher of Birth
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
The Last album needs a lot of good material yeah see? Haha, but yeah that is quiet a long time... Who do they think they are Metallica? Record, Tour, Go back, Tour some more, Record, One Show, Record, Tour, Release?

JRA
01-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I just read on Blabbermouth that they have 8 songs written so far. If you ask me that's all they need.

mankvill
01-03-2010, 02:48 PM
please god no

metal opera about gen 1 of pokemon

mark my words

davidis138
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I think a December or October release. If not then yeah January of 2011 :eyes:

DethMaiden
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I just read on Blabbermouth that they have 8 songs written so far. If you ask me that's all they need.

This. :fist:

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
How on earth is this not supposed to come out until next year? If they're actually starting to record soon, there's no good reason, why, given their general work pace, it shouldn't be out in the fall. Even if they do tour a little over the summer.

I'm not really surprised at all. I wasn't expecting it until 2011. It was only everyone here saying they thought it would be out this year that made me think it might be.

Perhaps they're going to tour for longer than we realise in the Summer.

I don't really care how long it takes. It's clearly going to be the last one, so it's got to be good.

DethMaiden
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't really care how long it takes. It's clearly going to be the last one, so it's got to be good.

I wasn't sure if it was the last one or the penultimate one, but if it's really coming out in 2011 - five years after AMOLAD - then there's no way there's going to be another. They simply won't be a band in 2016 to put out another new one. After this album it's gonna be a couple of tours for that album and a couple of farewell tours and then the book is closed.

Then Bruce live. :D

300%_Density
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM

mark my words

Pokemon is metal as fuck!!! Lol. God forbid we have a sense of humor if it involves Iron Maiden.....

es156
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Perhaps they're going to tour for longer than we realise in the Summer.

Now there's a thought.

Maiden33
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Now there's a thought.

Yes, a bad one.

Seriously, I'm getting annoyed about this. This album should have be out now, and it would've been if Maiden would actually stop touring and get to work. I guess I'm in the severe minority here, but if the records are good, I would rather have new records than multiple tours. Once I see a band on tour for an album once, I don't care if I see them again until the next album and would gladly sacrifice multiple legs of the same tour in order to speed the process along. Given Maiden's age and the aforementioned issue of a ticking clock, I would much rather get more records instead of more tours. It's important to remember that the enjoyment of the records can be sustained for years later long into their retirement. The thrill of live shows dies some short time after them. If I had the option of either getting 2 more records and 2 shows to see and 1 more record and 5 more shows to see, I'd much rather have the record.

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd sacrifice the money-making greatest hits tours altogether, personally.

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Then Bruce live. :D

I'd rather this.

Maiden33
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd rather this.

I said via another thread, at this point I'd much rather see Bruce live than Maiden for the fifth time. Frankly I've been spinning most of Bruce's solo stuff much more than Maiden in the past year and I would kill to see a lot of it live.

And yeah, regarding "hits" tours:
If they're gonna do something somewhat special and play DIFFERENT older songs (maybe some 90s/reunion material we haven't heard in a good while, or different old stuff) I'm for non-album tours, but if this summer stint is gonna wind up being "A dozen generic hits, 3 decent selections, 1 new song", I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

SomewhereInTime72
01-03-2010, 08:25 PM

To be fair, lots of bands write upwards of 30 songs for a new album, and only choose to record the 10 or so that they feel sounds the best.

Pastulio_
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM

mark my words

That would be the best thing in the history of mankind.

davidis138
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
I think they might do the one off show thing that most bands are probably gonna do. They are getting up there in age. But it might actually be the last one :eyes: :light:

zgodt
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Yes, a bad one.

Seriously, I'm getting annoyed about this. This album should have be out now, and it would've been if Maiden would actually stop touring and get to work. I guess I'm in the severe minority here, but if the records are good, I would rather have new records than multiple tours. Once I see a band on tour for an album once, I don't care if I see them again until the next album and would gladly sacrifice multiple legs of the same tour in order to speed the process along. Given Maiden's age and the aforementioned issue of a ticking clock, I would much rather get more records instead of more tours. It's important to remember that the enjoyment of the records can be sustained for years later long into their retirement. The thrill of live shows dies some short time after them. If I had the option of either getting 2 more records and 2 shows to see and 1 more record and 5 more shows to see, I'd much rather have the record.

Don't get annoyed. They don't owe you anything. They're living their lives and working at the pace that suits them. I was sure AMOLAD would be their last album. Heck, I was convinced they were done as a useful band in 1990. Everything now is a bonus.

IrritatedTrout
01-04-2010, 07:28 AM
5 years after AMOLAD? It really does look like this could be the last one.:bawling:

ravenheart
01-04-2010, 07:42 AM

I'd have thought reading it in the first post of this thread would have been easier ;)

Sanitarium78
01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm a little disappointed to hear they might not have anything new until next year. But if they're working on something big(like a concept album) or some sort of really big project they may just wanna take their time and get it right.
If we gotta wait then so be it, there's no sense getting that mad about it. They're at the point in their career's where they've earned the right to take time between new releases and not do something new and tour every 2 or 3 years.

I know Steve Harris has said that he envisioned doing 15 albums with Maiden and that was it. But i've read nothing that says this will be their last album yet so there's no reason to talk about it like it might be until it's confirmed by the band. I know they're all in their early to mid 50's now but as long as everyone stays healthy and they're still able to sell out arenas and stadiums all over the world and make money I see no reason as to why Maiden will call it quits anytime soon.

Maiden33
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't get annoyed. They don't owe you anything. They're living their lives and working at the pace that suits them. I was sure AMOLAD would be their last album. Heck, I was convinced they were done as a useful band in 1990. Everything now is a bonus.

I know Maiden don't personally owe me, or their fans in general, anything. However, I do have every right to get annoyed. One of the things I've always loved about reunion Maiden is that they've remained very active, and hadn't gotten lazy when making albums. Every 3 years is pretty damn good for a band as old as they are. But then the whole Somewhere Back in Time tour kept getting extended and one thing has led to another and another and as a result the ticking clock is taking away opportunities. When a band is young, I don't care what they do. But when it's my favorite band and they are starting to put a time frame on retirement, I get anxious being that I feel they have more than one more great record in them. I'd rather they remain active in the studio than over-active live, for the reasons stated in my previous post.
I also am kind of surprised considering it was specifically noted in A Matter of life and Death-related interviews that they were shocked by how speedy the process was, how much fun they had, and that it seemed like if they could continue to work like that, they had several more records ahead of them... now it's gotten to the point where it's been over 3 years since the last record and they are only really starting work, to too soon STOP work to go out on tour AGAIN (probably for another unnecessary hits tour), pushing things back and delaying this album even further.

... or are you one of those people that thinks I should just shut up and stop bitching, because I should just be happy for whatever I get? I get it, they don't owe me anything, and I'm not sitting here holding a serious grudge. I just love all things Maiden, including discussion and debates, and to me they just let me down.

Sanitarium78
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
now it's gotten to the point where it's been over 3 years since the last record and they are only really starting work, to too soon STOP work to go out on tour AGAIN (probably for another unnecessary hits tour), pushing things back and delaying this album even further.

I'm actually more in favor of another SBIT themed tour than having Maiden come out and bombard us live with a ton of new shit. Don't get me wrong, Maiden's last 3 albums have been great and they should be proud of them but people are there for the old shit. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but this tour was probably close to being their most successful one of their career's, if not the most successful. From what I know the vast majority of these shows sold out the venues they played at. There were probably fans that haven't seen Maiden in years or thought that they broke up 15 years ago who came to see this "greatest hits" tour and maybe they became fans again. So why wouldn't you keep it going with that kind of success?

Personally I will take Maiden playing the set they had on the Flight 666 DVD/CD for the rest of their career's than have them do ten new songs in a row then only play 5 old ones like they did on the AMOLAD tour. But maybe that's just me.

Fe Maiden
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
A happy medium of the above mentioned is what is needed and that would be a proper new album tour.

I personally would like a tour with songs mainly from SIT, SSOASS, & NPFTD.

Maiden33
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Personally I will take Maiden playing the set they had on the Flight 666 DVD/CD for the rest of their career's than have them do ten new songs in a row then only play 5 old ones like they did on the AMOLAD tour. But maybe that's just me.

It's not just you, but it's definitely not me.

Maiden can sell out venues and set attendance records anywhere in the world no matter what they're playing. The reason the Somewhere Back in Time tour was as successful as it was because THEY chose to make it into a big deal, not because it was THAT much better than a normal album tour. The people who aren't die hard fans (thus would go no matter what) tend to not even know about tour themes and setlists before-hand.
Getting back to what I said about Maiden's success not being tour-dependent, I can't help but think they should WANT to keep things interesting. Maiden is blessed with having possibly the best and most respective fanbase that would love whatever they threw at them (despite what people like me say online), they should take advantage of that, not ignore it. I have no problem shelling out $100 a ticket to see interesting tours, but my dedication would start to waver mighty fast if I knew that it was just going to become another typical old-hat show by a bunch of aging dinosaurs looking to cash in. That's what I loved about the '06 tour, it was the absolute opposite of that in every way.

ADD
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The people who aren't die hard fans (thus would go no matter what)

:wtf: Isn't it when you're a die hard fan you go no matter what?

Maiden33
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
:wtf: Isn't it when you're a die hard fan you go no matter what?

Yeah, the way I worded that was tricky and confusing. I was saying that die hard fans would go no matter what, I just should have said: "Those who aren't die hard fans (thus not people who would go no matter what)", etc. Sorry for the confusion.

zgodt
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I know Maiden don't personally owe me, or their fans in general, anything. However, I do have every right to get annoyed. One of the things I've always loved about reunion Maiden is that they've remained very active, and hadn't gotten lazy when making albums. Every 3 years is pretty damn good for a band as old as they are. But then the whole Somewhere Back in Time tour kept getting extended and one thing has led to another and another and as a result the ticking clock is taking away opportunities. When a band is young, I don't care what they do. But when it's my favorite band and they are starting to put a time frame on retirement, I get anxious being that I feel they have more than one more great record in them. I'd rather they remain active in the studio than over-active live, for the reasons stated in my previous post.
I also am kind of surprised considering it was specifically noted in A Matter of life and Death-related interviews that they were shocked by how speedy the process was, how much fun they had, and that it seemed like if they could continue to work like that, they had several more records ahead of them... now it's gotten to the point where it's been over 3 years since the last record and they are only really starting work, to too soon STOP work to go out on tour AGAIN (probably for another unnecessary hits tour), pushing things back and delaying this album even further.

... or are you one of those people that thinks I should just shut up and stop bitching, because I should just be happy for whatever I get? I get it, they don't owe me anything, and I'm not sitting here holding a serious grudge. I just love all things Maiden, including discussion and debates, and to me they just let me down.

I see where you're coming from. :fist:

zgodt
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Maiden can sell out venues and set attendance records anywhere in the world no matter what they're playing.

Not in the U.S. :(

andrew_metalhead
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Not in the U.S. :(

Not sure if I agree. They would definitely sell out any venue in the US no matter what songs they picked to play. I do agree with Maiden33 though, they can't be serious when they say the album won't come out before 2011. Thats just too damn long a break since 2006!! We want new material sooner!!

Normally they are quite active in the whole recording and production and Nicko said in one of the Sonisphere interviews that AMOLAD was mixed almost entirely 'live', almost simultaneously with the recording process. Thats why it didn't take long to release that one.

I'm quite shocked to hear that they have recorded 8 songs as of now in January 2010 and are talking about a 2011 release.

Maiden33
01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
They would definitely sell out any venue in the US...

Except for The Susquehanna Bank Arts Center (Formerly Tweeter Center) in Camden, NJ. Bruce joked at that show that it was the only show on the entire Somewhere Back in Time Tour that wasn't sold out, apparently Maiden have never sold that place out, in several times' worth of playing there. Probably because they tend to play it in the middle of the week and will then play a second jersey show and/or in NYC on the weekend. Oh well, it's easier for me to get tickets and get up front, hence how I was front row for that show. :D

andrew_metalhead
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Except for The Susquehanna Bank Arts Center (Formerly Tweeter Center) in Camden, NJ. Bruce joked at that show that it was the only show on the entire Somewhere Back in Time Tour that wasn't sold out, apparently Maiden have never sold that place out, in several times' worth of playing there. Probably because they tend to play it in the middle of the week and will then play a second jersey show and/or in NYC on the weekend. Oh well, it's easier for me to get tickets and get up front, hence how I was front row for that show. :D

I see .. well yeah midweek show in NJ I can understand. But generally the band is popular enough! :)

mankvill
01-05-2010, 11:00 PM

:finger2:

Butcher of Birth
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Susquehanna Bank Center - 7,779 Tickets Sold, 25,265 Tickets Available, 31% Sold :lol:

But you would think because it was in Summer more people would have gone...

The show at the Blossom Music Center in Ohio only sold 51% of their tickets and it was on a Saturday... A SATURDAY, other than that... Florida sold all of the 21,000 Tickets :D Which should tell Maiden that Florida likes them a little bit more, it was even on a Thursday. ;)

DethMaiden
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
The show at the Blossom Music Center in Ohio only sold 51% of their tickets and it was on a Saturday... A SATURDAY

Kind of a bullshit number because no one wants lawn tickets and there's an enormous lawn. The entire seated section and pit was filled to capacity though, and some of the lawn was full too.

Maiden33
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Susquehanna Bank Center - 7,779 Tickets Sold, 25,265 Tickets Available, 31% Sold :lol:

But you would think because it was in Summer more people would have gone...

The show at the Blossom Music Center in Ohio only sold 51% of their tickets and it was on a Saturday... A SATURDAY, other than that... Florida sold all of the 21,000 Tickets :D Which should tell Maiden that Florida likes them a little bit more, it was even on a Thursday. ;)

There is no way that is accurate. I mean the lawn was far from full but it was at least 1/3 full and the entire rest of the venue was packed. I was originally told that venue only held 17,000 people, to begin with, and there was no way, using that as a reference point, there weren't 10,000 people there.

ravenheart
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm quite shocked to hear that they have recorded 8 songs as of now in January 2010 and are talking about a 2011 release.

They haven't recorded anything. They've written 8 songs. Which probably means 'Arry has written 8 songs. Long, long, long way to go from writing to getting them done and recorded.

IrritatedTrout
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
If you all are getting those numbers from Wikipedia, I'm pretty sure they're inaccurate. The folks at the IMBB always complain that someone always screws with them after they correct them so I'd take 'em with a grain of salt.

Florida was definitely sold out (it helped that half of the audience flew in from all across the world:D) but from the stage Bruce said the capacity was only 11,000.

Butcher of Birth
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
There is no way that is accurate. I mean the lawn was far from full but it was at least 1/3 full and the entire rest of the venue was packed. I was originally told that venue only held 17,000 people, to begin with, and there was no way, using that as a reference point, there weren't 10,000 people there.

I've looked on multiple sites and they say it's around 25,000, so idk what to believe, but that's what I see.

Bruce said the capacity was only 11,000.

I don't remember that part, but at any rate, I've seen crowds of 20,000+ before and that crowd looked like it. 11,000 sounds a little small and according to the Venue site the capacity of the Arena with an Endstage is in upwards of 21,371.

zgodt
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Not sure if I agree. They would definitely sell out any venue in the US no matter what songs they picked to play.

I was at the Detroit show on the AMOLAD tour. It was not sold out. Not even close. Bruce acknowledged shortly into the set that it was not sold out. It was inescapably true. And I don't think Detroit was atypical on that tour.

Maiden33
01-06-2010, 09:17 PM
They haven't recorded anything. They've written 8 songs. Which probably means 'Arry has written 8 songs. Long, long, long way to go from writing to getting them done and recorded.

Well, Steve hasn't written much by himself on recent albums. In fact he's only had one on each of the past three albums that was him by himself.

I predict, as with any Maiden album, it will be a mixed bag of writing credits, we'll have:

1-2 by Steve alone
1-2 by Steve and Janick
1-2 by Steve and Dave, maybe with Bruce
1-4 by Steve, Adrian, and probably Bruce
1-2 by Bruce and Steve

IrritatedTrout
01-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't remember that part, but at any rate, I've seen crowds of 20,000+ before and that crowd looked like it. 11,000 sounds a little small and according to the Venue site the capacity of the Arena with an Endstage is in upwards of 21,371.

Yeah, that's why I was kinda confused when he said that, it looked like a lot more than 11,000.

ravenheart
01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Well, Steve hasn't written much by himself on recent albums. In fact he's only had one on each of the past three albums that was him by himself.

I predict, as with any Maiden album, it will be a mixed bag of writing credits, we'll have:

1-2 by Steve alone
1-2 by Steve and Janick
1-2 by Bruce and Steve

I've read before that they do all write stuff seperately though, and put it together when they get into the studio. So Steve writes a load by himself, then adds the ideas of the others.

I think Nicko should write all of the songs :D And Jannick all of the guitar solos.

SomewhereInTime72
01-07-2010, 05:59 AM

1-2 by Steve alone
1-2 by Steve and Janick
1-2 by Bruce and Steve

AMOLAD had a ridiculous amount of Steve-Adrian-Bruce songs, which I love... I somewhat forsee it happening again for the next one :D.