PDA

View Full Version : Top Movies of 2009

DethMaiden
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think I'm done going to the theater this year, so here's how I'd rank what I saw:

God Tier
1. Inglourious Basterds
---
Movies I Enjoyed
2. Where the Wild Things Are
3. The Hangover
4. Invictus
5. Star Trek
6. Sherlock Holmes
7. I Love You, Man
8. Public Enemies
---
Movies I Wish I Didn't See
9. Bruno
10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
11. The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
12. Watchmen
---
Movies I Wish I Saw, And Plan to Rent
Up
The Soloist
District 9
The Hurt Locker
The Men Who Stare At Goats
A Serious Man

Natrlhi
12-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Movies I Wish I Saw, And Plan to Rent
Up
The Soloist
District 9
The Hurt Locker
A Serious Man

I want to see those last three as well.

"Up" was really good.

"District 9" was not for everyone (some folks I talk to couldn't stomach the not-so-thinly-veiled political commentary), but I liked it. I thought the story was good, the main (human) character was interesting, and the effects really had me scratching my head saying "how'd they do that?". You'll see what I mean.

"The Soloist" was good, but with Downey and Foxx in the lead roles, I can't help but think that, should the story have been better written, this movie would have been Oscar material all the way.

Div
12-31-2009, 12:52 AM
district 9 was worth it alone for the lightning gun effects.

rjturtle9
12-31-2009, 07:36 AM
district 9 was worth it alone for the lightning gun effects.

:blaze:

ravenheart
12-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Saw:
1. District 9
2. Law Abiding Citizen
3. Star Trek
4. Know1ng
5. The Taking of Pelham 123
6. A Christmas Carol
7. Surrogates
8. Monsters Vs. Aliens
9. Gamer
10. Terminator: Salvation
11. Ice Age 3
12. Push
13. 2012
14. Underworld 3
15. Watchmen
16. Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen
17. The Men Who Stare At Goats

Wanted to see, will get on DVD:
The Hurt Locker (2008 in North America?)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Survival of The Dead
Pandorum
Halloween 2
Whiteout
Zombieland
Dorian Gray
Night At The Museum 2
Crossing Over
Angels And Demons
Moon
Horsemen of The Apocalypse
Dead Snow
Friday The 13th
In The Loop
Traitor (2008 in North America?)
Blood: The Last Vampire
State of Play
The International
Outlander
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
s.Darko
Franklyn (2008 in North America?)
Dead Walkers

I will be seeing Avatar in two weeks.

Really didn't give a fuck about:
Inglorious Basterds
The Hangover
Twilight: New Moon
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
Paranormal Activity
Jennifer's Body
Antichrist
Aliens In The Attic
G-Force
Saw MCCXXXIX
Up
I Love You, Man
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Public Enemies
Bruno
Did You Hear About The Morgans?
Duplicity
Drag Me To Hell
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Coraline
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Soloist
Where The Wild Things Are

DethMaiden
12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
The Hurt Locker (2008 in North America?)

At the Toronto Film Festival, yeah, but it didn't debut at an American film festival until March, and it didn't hit American theaters until June.

Wizzbang11
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Saw:

Inglorious Basterds
The Hangover
Antichrist
Bruno
Drag Me To Hell

:mad:

powerslave_85
12-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't bother with 9. I thought it sucked.

I forgot to put I Love You, Man, The Men Who Stare At Goats, and The Informant on my honorable mentions list. They were all really good.

DethMaiden
12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Don't bother with 9. I thought it sucked.

Wait, the stop-motion animated one or the Daniel Day-Lewis singing one? I'm not terribly enthralled by either, but I'm curious.

powerslave_85
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Wait, the stop-motion animated one or the Daniel Day-Lewis singing one? I'm not terribly enthralled by either, but I'm curious.
The animated one. It's not stop-motion, though.

mastodon421
12-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Need to go over my list of everything i've seen this year and rank them. I will most likely post my list tommorow.

SomewhereInTime72
12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Inglourious Basterds was probably my favorite movie this year. But I also really loved The Informant, which apparently no one in the world actually saw. Other than that, The Hangover was probably the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. And I still really want to see Sherlock Holmes, it looks great. :)

ravenheart
12-31-2009, 05:29 PM

The Daniel Day-Lewis one is called "Nine", not "9". Subtle difference ;)

ravenheart
12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
But I also really loved The Informant, which apparently no one in the world actually saw.

I almost went to see it, but everything in the trailer was so derivative I didn't bother.

ravenheart
12-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Inglorious Basterds
The Hangover
Antichrist
Bruno
Drag Me To Hell

:mad:

Blatant attempt at making quirky violence cool.
Intentionally vulgar, slapstick drivel.
Ridiculously irrational, pointless violence, painfully flawed plot.
Trying so hard to be offensive it just isn't funny.
Teen-horror nonsense with dire acting.

Does that help? If you can promise me any of those summations are wrong I will happily give the films a look. I love finding out a film I thought would be crap is actually decent, but your arguments will have to be good, and I will find you if you're wrong ;)

DethMaiden
12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Blatant attempt at making quirky violence cool.
Intentionally vulgar, slapstick drivel.
Ridiculously irrational, pointless violence, painfully flawed plot.
Trying so hard to be offensive it just isn't funny.
Teen-horror nonsense with dire acting.

Does that help? If you can promise me any of those summations are wrong I will happily give the films a look. I love finding out a film I thought would be crap is actually decent, but your arguments will have to be good, and I will find you if you're wrong ;)

Well, I'll defend Basterds against that charge, not that the reality is going to please you much more. The truth is there's probably like an aggregated fifteen minutes of violence in the 2.5 hour movie, and it's mostly incredibly tense scenes peppered with excellent and often hilarious dialogue.

EDIT: You're right about the Hangover but I love it. You're right about Bruno and I hate it.

Dextrimental
01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Ravenheart, Iv only seen the Hangover anmd Drag me to Hell out of that list, and while the Hangover was essentially a comedy that made me laugh, but nothing too special, drag me to hell was good, why? because it wasn't a teen horror!

1) the killer was supernatural, not some guy who couldn't get laid or who was having nightmares about how he got rejected as a child by the mothers or relatives of the people he is now killing.

2) the gore level was epic, and funny, and genuinely at times sickening, name me a major release movie that had that level of gore in an actual horror movie? Note major release movie.

3) It entertained me, and I am hard to please when it comes to horror.

I haven't changed ur mind though, why? because its ur opinion, and not mine. Opinion is not something that will suddenly change when someone makes a decent argument why somethin is good. Besides, from what iv noticed you're a proper grouch at times, so I dont really care, im just killing time!

makethemsuffer12
01-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Inglourious Basterds was probably my favorite movie this year. But I also really loved The Informant, which apparently no one in the world actually saw. Other than that, The Hangover was probably the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. And I still really want to see Sherlock Holmes, it looks great. :)

Don't. It wasn't that good. I don't know if it had anything to do with me being tired while watching it, but I found it really hard to follow.

Anyway my favorites from this year are probably Taken (though it came out in 08 in other countries), Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, Extract, Avatar, The Hangover, and my favorite for the whole year, Zombieland.

I unfortunately have yet to see Inglorious Basterds, District 9, or Star Trek, but hopefully I will soon.

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Ravenheart, Iv only seen the Hangover anmd Drag me to Hell out of that list, and while the Hangover was essentially a comedy that made me laugh, but nothing too special, drag me to hell was good, why? because it wasn't a teen horror!

I haven't changed ur mind though, why? because its ur opinion, and not mine. Opinion is not something that will suddenly change when someone makes a decent argument why somethin is good. Besides, from what iv noticed you're a proper grouch at times, so I dont really care, im just killing time!

Like I said, I'm happy to try movies I didn't see because I thought they looked shit if someone can offer reasons to do so. You were on to a winner until that last paragraph, which started accurately if we're talking about something each person has experienced, but we're not, so it's irrelevant. And the last line was just childish.

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
2) the gore level was epic, and funny, and genuinely at times sickening, name me a major release movie that had that level of gore in an actual horror movie? Note major release movie.

Oh, and if the status of Drag Me To Hell is how we're measuring "major", then Antichrist was at the same level here, and destroys any movie ever for sickening violence and gore. I've only heard from some movie aficionado friends who just had to see it about its content, and frankly, I don't want to see it.

ravenheart
01-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Extract

What's this?

Dextrimental
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Im well aware my last line was childish, I just kinda wasn arsed arguing halfway through my sentence. If you don't want to see a movie then fine, but don't make a sweeping statement about it if you haven't, which is what you did. If you don't want to see it then fine, I just hate when people talk about something like they know what its about when all they've read and heard is reviews.

And Drag me to hell was a bigger release then anti-christ, definitely. That being said, anti-christ was gorey at a, and ecuse the pun, unholy level.

Natrlhi
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Besides, from what iv noticed you're a proper grouch at times, so I dont really care, im just killing time!

And the last line was just childish.

Childish? Perhaps.

Accurate? Perhaps. :D

ADD
01-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Avatar in 3D was great, only worthwhile movie I've seen in the theater since Gran Torino.

Natrlhi
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh, HELL yes. :D

makethemsuffer12
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
What's this?

A Mike Judge film. Starred Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, and Mila Kunis. Really funny movie. It was pretty overlooked as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzJI08YUNik

Natrlhi
01-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Movies I Enjoyed
The Hangover (funniest movie of the year...humor was crude, but utterly hilarious)
Star Trek (damn decent update / reboot, despite plot incongruencies with original story lines)
Moon (excellent psychological thriller)
Avatar (3D) (best eye candy of the year)
Zombieland (unexpectedly funny - this year's comedy runner-up)
District 9 (interesting FX, compelling main character, side order of politics)
Up (eye candy runner-up, cute story)
Duplicity (sleeper of the year - really snappy script, story, characters, humor - seriously recommended)
The Informant! (Damon was outstanding - compelling true story of an idiot who almost got away with murder...)
Traitor (better than I had expected - gritty spy / soldier drama)
Coraline (visually trippy, weird story, classic Tim Burton - but CGI)
Watchmen (superheroes behaving badly = good times ;))
Sherlock Holmes (Downey was awesome, Law was prety good, story was a bit weak)
I Love You, Man (funnier than I expected - Paul Rudd is pure comic gold to me)
Public Enemies (Bale plus Depp should have been AWESOME, but was just OK - weak script)
The Soloist (Downey plus Foxx should have been WAY AWESOME, but was just OK - weak script)
Nothing but the Truth (decent whistleblower-type drama, in the vein of The Insider)
The Taking of Pelham 123 (decent story, good villain, a bit formulaic, but not bad)
Paranormal Activity (like Blair Witch, but in somebody's house - somehow I didn't hate it, though)
State of Play (forgettable - because I did - but somehow I remember this being pretty OK)
Orphan (creepy main character, weird plot twist, decent acting - not bad)
Drag Me To Hell (surprising good for what it was - this was another sleeper)

Movies I Didn't Enjoy / Was Disappointed By
Monsters vs. Aliens
Terminator: Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen

Movies I Plan to Rent
Inglourious Basterds (have it at home now)
Invictus (have it at home now)
Friday The 13th (have it at home now)
The Hurt Locker
A Serious Man
Pandorum
s.Darko
Where the Wild Things Are
The International
Halloween 2
Law Abiding Citizen
Ice Age 3
Bruno (hey - I liked Borat, so...)
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Movies I Really Didn't Care About:
Push
Underworld 3
Jennifer's Body

powerslave_85
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
A Mike Judge film. Starred Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, and Mila Kunis. Really funny movie. It was pretty overlooked as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzJI08YUNik
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Definitely a step back in the right direction for Judge after the disappointing (IMO) Idiocracy.

mankvill
01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I know hating on the Twilight series is the cool thing to do now, but I recently, as a joke, watched a pirated version of New Moon with some friends.

It was below direct-to-DVD quality. I can't believe how bad it was and how popular it is.

zgodt
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
ravenheart: My wife and I went to see Star Trek, only to find that the theater had stopped running it the day we showed up. So we ended up seeing The Hangover instead. It's not the kind of movie I would've chosen, necessarily... and definitely not the kind of movie my wife would've chosen. But we both thought it was hilarious. It's slapstick, sure, but intelligent slapstick. A far cry from your average Rob Schneider/Will Farrell/Adam Sandler slapstick. It's sort of like a Philip K. Dick story, actually -- it reminded me of the plot of Paycheck (wake up with memory loss and a bunch of random clues that don't make sense, and have to figure out what happened and fix the big problem before it's too late). Except with a better screenplay, and without Ben Affleck. So, win.

powerslave_85
01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Some people just think they're too cool for it, I guess. I thought it was fucking hilarious.

mastodon421
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Top 10 Of The Year

10.Extract
9.Taken
8.Notorious
7.I Love You,Man
6.Zombieland
5.Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen (I know,I know)
4.The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
3.The Hangover
2.Star Trek
1.Inglorious Basterds

I saw 38 movies this year didn't feel like posting them all

09 Movies that I haven't seen that may or may not effect the outcome of this list:
District 9
Invictus
Sherlock Holmes
Gamer
(500) Days Of Summer
Up
Law Abiding Citizen
The Hurt Locker

Div
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Movies I Enjoyed
The Hangover (funniest movie of the year...humor was crude, but utterly hilarious)
Star Trek (damn decent update / reboot, despite plot incongruencies with original story lines)
Moon (excellent psychological thriller)
Avatar (3D) (best eye candy of the year)
Zombieland (unexpectedly funny - this year's comedy runner-up)
District 9 (interesting FX, compelling main character, side order of politics)
Up (eye candy runner-up, cute story)
Duplicity (sleeper of the year - really snappy script, story, characters, humor - seriously recommended)
The Informant! (Damon was outstanding - compelling true story of an idiot who almost got away with murder...)
Traitor (better than I had expected - gritty spy / soldier drama)
Coraline (visually trippy, weird story, classic Tim Burton - but CGI)
Watchmen (superheroes behaving badly = good times ;))
Sherlock Holmes (Downey was awesome, Law was prety good, story was a bit weak)
I Love You, Man (funnier than I expected - Paul Rudd is pure comic gold to me)
Public Enemies (Bale plus Depp should have been AWESOME, but was just OK - weak script)
The Soloist (Downey plus Foxx should have been WAY AWESOME, but was just OK - weak script)
Nothing but the Truth (decent whistleblower-type drama, in the vein of The Insider)
The Taking of Pelham 123 (decent story, good villain, a bit formulaic, but not bad)
Paranormal Activity (like Blair Witch, but in somebody's house - somehow I didn't hate it, though)
State of Play (forgettable - because I did - but somehow I remember this being pretty OK)
Orphan (creepy main character, weird plot twist, decent acting - not bad)
Drag Me To Hell (surprising good for what it was - this was another sleeper)

Movies I Didn't Enjoy / Was Disappointed By
Monsters vs. Aliens
Terminator: Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen

Movies I Plan to Rent
Inglourious Basterds (have it at home now)
Invictus (have it at home now)
Friday The 13th (have it at home now)
The Hurt Locker
A Serious Man
Pandorum
s.Darko
The International
Halloween 2
Law Abiding Citizen
Ice Age 3
Bruno (hey - I liked Borat, so...)
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Movies I Really Didn't Care About:
Push
Underworld 3
Jennifer's Body

That sure is alot of movies, and not a single one of them is the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus :hmm:

makethemsuffer12
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Definitely a step back in the right direction for Judge after the disappointing (IMO) Idiocracy.

Haha I liked Idiocracy. It was stupid, but that was pretty much the whole point.

ravenheart
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

The original TV series is much better.

This, however, I enjoyed more than the original.

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
THREADCROMANCE

Top 10 for 2009:
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Where the Wild Things Are
3. Up
4. Crazy Heart
5. A Serious Man
6. The Hurt Locker
7. District 9
8. Invictus
9. Star Trek
10. The Hangover (somewhat unsurprisingly, it was hilarious in the theater once and borderline unwatchable even a second time)

mastodon421
05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I have to disagree about The Hangover's rewatch value. I thought it was just as funny the 2nd time. I have actually seen it 4 times and I still think it is hysterical.

evildeadjedi
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
1. Star Trek
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Up
4. District 9
5. Zombieland
6. Moon
7. The Hangover
8. I love you man
9. Trick r Treat
10. Watchmen

Still need to watch:

The Hurt Locker
Crazy Horse
Sherlock Holmes
Invictus
The Blindside
500 Days of Summer
Law Abiding Citizen

daimonos
05-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Whenever I saw The Hangover, I was so disappointed, because all I had been hearing at school was quotes and "This movie is so fucking hilarious" for months, then I watched it and I was just like "Wow...that's it?".

It is a pretty funny movie though, but Pineapple Express is much better I think :lol:

(I know we weren't talking about Pineapple Express, but that's what alot of people compare it to)

mastodon421
05-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Whenever I saw The Hangover, I was so disappointed, because all I had been hearing at school was quotes and "This movie is so fucking hilarious" for months, then I watched it and I was just like "Wow...that's it?".

It is a pretty funny movie though, but Pineapple Express is much better I think :lol:

(I know we weren't talking about Pineapple Express, but that's what alot of people compare it to)

Pineapple Express is good but I find it to be overated.

powerslave_85
06-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Finally got around to seeing Where the Wild Things Are. Still not sure whether I liked it or not. The voice acting is top-notch, though.