PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees Are...

mankvill
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
ABBA
Genesis
Jimmy Cliff
The Stooges
The Hollies

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Genesis
cool

mankvill
12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Didn't make it:

Darlene Love
Donna Summer
KISS
Laura Nyro
LL Cool J
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Chantels

JRA
12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Who the fuck are the Hollies?

Abba? :LOLFC:

Kiss and Deep Purple should take the place of those chumps.

mankvill
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM

Abba? :LOLFC:

Kiss and Deep Purple should take the place of those chumps.

Deep Purple, yes.

Kiss, hell fucking no.

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Poking at the finer points of singular inductions in a single year will not cite the problems of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The number of bands that should've been in years ago compared to the number of "WTFs" is enough to make almost anyone vomit.

ravenheart
12-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Kiss, hell fucking no.

Hell fucking yes. Their place in rock history is undeniable. Whether you like them or not.

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
The fact that all of the following bands have been eligible for multiple years and are not in is ridiculous:

Deep Purple
Kiss
Alice Cooper
Thin lizzy
Rush
UFO
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dio

mankvill
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Hell fucking yes. Their place in rock history is undeniable. Whether you like them or not.

History, sure. But I can think of a ton of more influential acts that should be in before them.

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
History, sure. But I can think of a ton of more influential acts that should be in before them.

As much as I hate to say it, Kiss are plenty fucking influential. Musically, not so much. But the number of bands to have been inspired by the theatrical aspect of their live show and whatnot are countless. Normally I'd be like: "Rawr! Music first!", but in this case, I really don't think it matters. Influence on bands is influence on bands, period.

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I went to the RnR Hall of Fame once, place really sucked to be honest. Best part was the gift shop which had a pretty good selection of CDs.

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Can't wait to see the Genesis induction where the people on the stage will inevitably talk about the Phil Collins era for 75% of the time and marginalize the Peter Gabriel era. :)

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Can't wait to see the Genesis induction where the people on the stage will inevitably talk about the Phil Collins era for 75% of the time and marginalize the Peter Gabriel era. :)

75%? That's being kinda generous to the Gabriel era. Probably more like 90%. :D

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 06:15 PM
75%? That's being kinda generous to the Gabriel era. Probably more like 90%. :D

Sad but true. :snivel:

Indestructible
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
The fact that all of the following bands have been eligible for multiple years and are not in is:

Deep Purple
Kiss
Alice Cooper
Rush
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dio

It is ridiculous that they arent in the RNRHOF but abba is and inductee thats not right.

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
"genesis had their humble beginnings as just another english 'progressive rock' band, but they finally hit their stride under the leadership of phil collins, landing them a permanent slot in rock and roll history. with hits such as 'i can't dance' and 'invisible touch' genesis proved their worth and originality time and time again."

(little stream thing at the bottom of the screen: "did you know?: well known humanitarian contributor peter gabriel once fronted genesis!")

Indestructible
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Jimmy Cliff
The Stooges
The Hollies

???????

mankvill
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
???????

Ugh.

"The Stooges" = band with Iggy Pop that helped get punk rock up and going.

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
"genesis had their humble beginnings as just another english 'progressive rock' band, but they finally hit their stride under the leadership of phil collins, landing them a permanent slot in rock and roll history. with hits such as 'i can't dance' and 'invisible touch' genesis proved their worth and originality time and time again."

(little stream thing at the bottom of the screen: "did you know?: well known humanitarian contributor peter gabriel once fronted genesis!")

:snivel: I want to see it but I don't.

JRA
12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock.

mankvill
12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.

w

HOW OLD ARE YOU?!

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock.

American Psycho. This speech is a full chapter in the book.

EDIT: That is to say it's much longer and in-depth.

JRA
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
:snivel: I want to see it but I don't.

It probably also says "The reason we kept these guys out for many, many years is because of the utter faggotry that is "Supper's Ready." :money:

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
It probably also says "The reason we kept these guys out for many, many years is because of the utter faggotry that is "Supper's Ready." :money:

Dude, if I was still in Bloomington, I would come to your house and beat your ass. Second favorite song ever after Hallowed. :flame:

es156
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Dude, if I was still in Bloomington, I would come to your house and beat your ass. Second favorite song ever after Hallowed. :flame:

:lol:

Dude, if you were still in Bloomington I would make the trip over just to witness this epic confrontation.

Natrlhi
12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Since we're already way the fuck off topic, let me just say that American Psycho is one of the best movies of all time. The book is badass as well, from what I've read.

:fist: :fist: :fist:

DethMaiden
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
:lol:

Dude, if you were still in Bloomington I would make the trip over just to witness this epic confrontation.

Supper's Ready is one thing I have no sense of humor about. :D

Since we're already way the fuck off topic, let me just say that American Psycho is one of the best movies of all time. The book is badass as well, from what I've read.

:fist: :fist: :fist:

The book is SO MUCH better than the movie, I hate to say it. The way the twist is done is so much more subtle and leaves you actually wondering what happened whereas I think the movie - and not without good reason - makes you believe a certain thing. Read it (and everything Bret Easton Ellis has done, shit) if you get the chance. Favorite book by my second-favorite fiction author. :horns:

The_jman
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=JRA;241747]Who the fuck are the Hollies?

.... Never heard the song long cool woman in a black dress?

JRA
12-23-2009, 07:27 PM

.... Never heard the song long cool woman in a black dress?

No, and I bet The Millionaires could write better songs.