PDA

View Full Version : The Big Four...kind of true

Jochen
12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=602847

You've been posting and chatting about it for months and we're here now to confirm it . . . Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax will all share the same stage for the first time EVER! Look for the four of us at the Sonisphere shows in Warsaw, Poland and Prague, Czech Republic on June 16 and 19, 2010 with a few more of the festival dates still in the works, you can be sure these shows won't be the only ones.

In the words of Lars: "Who would have thought that more than 25 years after its inception, thrash metal's big 4 would not only still be around and more popular than ever, but will now play together for the first time...what a mindfuck! Bring it on!"

What more can we say??

mankvill
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Was totally gonna post this. :lol:

Let's see how it goes...

davidis138
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Aren't they all headlining on different nights though? If they are, can you really call that a Big Four gig?

mankvill
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Aren't they all headlining on different nights though? If they are, can you really call that a Big Four gig?

The Sonisphere festivals in Czech Republic and Poland are single day events.

davidis138
12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Oh ok. So then it is kinda a Big Four thing. One step closer to a tour maybe? Aahhh...

idrinkwine732
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
This could turn out similar to how Canadien Carnage turned out. They set up a few shows, and the entire metal community is in uproar, wanting it to come to their town. They realize, we could make a shit load of $ off of this, and decide to do it. Still, too many egos to deal with, don't think it will happen. I'll honestly be surprised if both shows go by without a problem.

ravenheart
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Scott Ian: “People have been talking about these four bands playing together since 1984. That's twenty-six years of expectation!!! And the thing is, I believe not only will we live up to the expectations, we will shatter them!! No other four bands as influential as the four of us have ever done this. Imagine if The Beatles, Stones, The Who and Zeppelin had done shows? Or Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Motorhead? Well, I may be getting into some rarified air here but as a fan, that's how big I feel this is.”

Mustaine: “This is a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity for Heavy Metal “Fans” to see the four greatest Heavy Metal “Bands” in American History back together on one stage. If there are any heads left at the end of this Festival that haven’t banged, they don’t belong there.”

b1indedbyfear
12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Hope it does go well and turns into a tour. 4 of my fav bands all at once would be great.

SomewhereInTime72
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Maiden + the big four?

That's a pretty sweet festival.

edit: different sonispheres nevermind.... that would be too good to be true

ravenheart
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Maiden + the big four?

That's a pretty sweet festival.

edit: different sonispheres nevermind.... that would be too good to be true

That could still happen. There are five more Sonisphere's to be announced, and a couple of them are two day events, and therefore require two headliners.

ravenheart
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Hope it does go well and turns into a tour. 4 of my fav bands all at once would be great.

You know what will happen. It will go fine, they'll want to tour, one of them can't/won't do it, and Testament will take their place.

b1indedbyfear
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Yea you are prob right, but let me clarify. US tour is what I need. Id rather have Testament on it than Anthrax these days, but I love them all so no complaints.

I doubt there will be ego problems or clashes because they will never have to see each other. Rob Flynn said he didnt see Dave Mustaine until the end of the Megadeth tour and those were club shows.

andrew_metalhead
12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Its official .. big four to reunite in Europe!!

Sonisphere Poland and Czech Republic confirmed. More gigs to be announced. I just got an email from the Slayer publicist. This is what it says:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH AND ANTHRAX
TO PERFORM TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY
The BIG FOUR Confirmed for SONISPHERE Poland and Czech Republic
More BIG FOUR Appearances at SONISPHERE Shows Planned

The world wide web has been abound with speculation on a possible 'BIG FOUR' tour for several months. Now, the UK/European SONISPHERE can exclusively reveal that METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX will play together for the first time in history, in a move that will have metalheads across the globe frenzied with excitement.

Says LARS ULRICH/METALLICA of this historic announcement: "Who would have thought that more than 25 years after its inception, thrash metal's big 4 would not only still be around and more popular than ever, but will now play together for the first time...what a mindfuck! Bring it on!"

"It's about fucking time this happened," says SLAYER'S KERRY KING, "and about time the fans finally get what they want. This is fucking awesome."

ANTHRAX guitarist SCOTT IAN agrees, commenting on the enormity of the announcement.

"People have been talking about these four bands playing together since 1984. That's twenty-six years of expectation!! And the thing is, I believe not only will we live up to the expectations, we will shatter them! No other four bands as influential as the four of us have ever done this. Imagine if The Beatles, Stones, the Who and Zeppelin had done shows? Or Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Motorhead? Well, I may be getting into some rarified air here but as a fan, that's how big I feel this is."

These four legendary acts broke out of the underground thrash movement to dominate the metal world in the 1980s, selling millions of records and packing arenas across the globe. The metal giants have never before all shared the same stage, despite huge demand. But on June 16, 2010, METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX will take to the SONISPHERE stage at Bemowo Airport, Poland, to make the dreams of headbangers the world over become a reality. A second Big Four appearance is planned for SONISPHERE CZECH REPUBLIC three days later, with more SONISPHERE shows featuring the awesome combo to be announced in the coming days and weeks.

"This is a 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity for heavy metal fans to see the four greatest heavy metal bands in American history back together on one stage," concludes MEGADETH main man DAVE MUSTAINE. "If there are any heads left at the end of this festival that haven't banged, they don't belong there."

Tickets are available from www.sonispherefestivals.com

BACKGROUND NOTES

Having established itself as the "Best New Festival" at the 2009 UK Festival Awards and holding six out of eight of the nominations for the forthcoming "Best New Festival" category at the European Festival Awards, SONISPHERE FESTIVAL moves forward proudly with the announcement of their phenomenal 2010 headliners. Last year's SONISPHERE saw 300,000 music fans attend six festivals across the continent, taking in The Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Finland, and the UK. Boasting a line-up covering a truly broad spectrum of the rock scene, headliners Metallica led a diverse collection of acts from country to country including Slipknot, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Linkin Park, The Prodigy, The Hives and many more, to make the inaugural tour a huge success.

Next year, SONISPHERE expands to eleven events with headliners including Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Rammstein. With an extremely impressive line up already shaping up across all eleven shows, this groundbreaking travelling rock circus is set to be an even bigger success in 2010, as it solidifies its position as the world's leading rock festival series.

mankvill
12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Hmm, one of those dates also has Heaven & Hell on it.

The Big Four
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden maybe?

Fuck yuruope

JRA
12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
You know, Europe always gets better credibility as a metal hangout, but for me it's not what they do listen to, it's what they don't listen to. So am I to understand that by worshipping all the "heavier bands," then they openly reject and boo off the stage crap like Motley Crue (whom I somewhat like), Ratt, Dokken, Warrant, Poison, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Nickelback, and all the other tripe that's plagued our country? Because if they do like that crap, then they pretty much make themselves irrelevant. It means they'll listen to any idiot with a loud guitar and lots of amplification.

DethMaiden
12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
You know, Europe always gets better credibility as a metal hangout, but for me it's not what they do listen to, it's what they don't listen to. So am I to understand that by worshipping all the "heavier bands," then they openly reject and boo off the stage crap like Motley Crue (whom I somewhat like), Ratt, Dokken, Warrant, Poison, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Nickelback, and all the other tripe that's plagued our country? Because if they do like that crap, then they pretty much make themselves irrelevant. It means they'll listen to any idiot with a loud guitar and lots of amplification.

I don't know if I'm interpreting this right, but if I am, you should be pointing the finger at Japan. I have a hard time believing that if a major city besides Tokyo had an arena show of Iron Maiden one weekend, Slipknot the next, and Creed the next that two-thirds of the crowd wouldn't be the same exact people.

andrew_metalhead
12-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Well even if "they'll listen to any one with a loud guitar and amps" is the case, the bottom line is, they fill out huge open air fields to see these bands every fuckin year. So I would say they deserve this! But having said that, the big four are American bands and they should have done at least a few gigs on home soil before doing them in Europe.

davidis138
12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
they should have done at least a few gigs on home soil before doing them in Europe.

That's not say they won't be doing a few dates after[U] Europe though cos after all :money::money:

Div
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Div: so this big four thing just doesnt excite me at all
Div: im so sick of hearing people jacking off over those bands that i just dont care anymore
[RTW]Qc.pemplemousse: seriously

and that pretty much sums it up

andrew_metalhead
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Div: so this big four thing just doesnt excite me at all
Div: im so sick of hearing people jacking off over those bands that i just dont care anymore
[RTW]Qc.pemplemousse: seriously

and that pretty much sums it up

Suit yourself.

AnthG
12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
The reason this will work and not a full tour is because it's so much easier to avoid everyone in a festival setup. In fact, i'm sure even they all wanted to hang out and catch up and all that, it'd be tough too. Most bands, especially big name bands, are caught up with interviews and travel that they don't have time to stick around and watch other bands.

Div
12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Suit yourself.

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ

mankvill
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ

http://i45.tinypic.com/2jb445k.gif

IrritatedTrout
12-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I'd like to see this but, to be honest, I'm fine with us just getting American Carnage. Sure Metallica is awesome, but so is Testament so it's almost an even trade-off for me. Don't really give a shit bout 'Thrax either.

andrew_metalhead
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd like to see this but, to be honest, I'm fine with us just getting American Carnage. Sure Metallica is awesome, but so is Testament so it's almost an even trade-off for me. Don't really give a shit bout 'Thrax either.

Very true, but the ticket for the big four show in Poland is free with the UK ticket (Maiden-Rammstein-Alice Cooper) so thats the only one I'm gonna go to, if at all I'm able to buy that UK ticket.

ravenheart
12-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Very true, but the ticket for the big four show in Poland is free with the UK ticket (Maiden-Rammstein-Alice Cooper) so thats the only one I'm gonna go to, if at all I'm able to buy that UK ticket.

Be aware that the Poland ticket will be a general admission one. Which means you won't be able to get to the front, as they're operating a "Golden Circle", which costs quite a lot more.

ravenheart
12-15-2009, 02:07 AM
im so sick of hearing people jacking off over those bands that i just dont care anymore

So because you don't care, no one else should either?

Where's that loser emoticon...

ravenheart
12-15-2009, 02:10 AM

Erm, you know Europe is lots of different countries, right? What some like, others don't. So yes, all of those bands sell well in Europe too, because there's almost always a market somewhere in Europe for any kind of band to play. Nickelback sell particularly well in the UK. The others less so. Motley do alright. Avenged Sevenfold are huge with the kids, and not so much with people who have grown up. Basically the same as the US.

And yes, some of those fans will be the same people. It's called variety of taste.

You can fucking keep Poison, though.

makethemsuffer12
12-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Big 4 + Sabbath in one day = I came buckets

But alas, this is only in Europe, so as of now buckets shall be void of my bodily fluids.

Natrlhi
12-15-2009, 08:14 AM
You can fucking keep Poison, though.
:lol:

We don't want 'em either. Maybe the Aussies will take 'em, considering they seem to love almost all things U.S. ;)

b1indedbyfear
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
I doubt anybody wants them, they need to disappear so nobody has to deal with them.

mankvill
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Erm, you know Europe is lots of different countries, right?

lol no

l 2 geography, limey. :jima:

The Ancient Mariner
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
... and they haven't even announced the Donington line up yet ... ;)

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Rammstein

:uk:

Div
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Where's that loser emoticon...

its probably right inbetween the "oh, ok" and the "cool story bro" emoticons, but i cant seem to find them either.

Sanitarium78
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I hope they really do decide to bring this to the US if it's to happen. I think the money would be too good for them to pass up and they would be able to put ego's aside. In the case of Anthrax you don't really have to worry about ego's because at this point in their career's they don't really have much reason to be walking around with one. The same can be said for Mustaine and Slayer if you look at how their album sales have significantly gone down over the last ten years compared to how they use to be. Sure the fans still come out to see them but not as many as their use to be. Metallica is the only one of the bands who should really have an big ego of any kind and the band that will be the one drawing all the people and money in for this. If they were to do this in the US 75% of the people going would be for Metallica and they would just think of the other 3 as something "to pass the time" before Metallica hits the stage.

I know the European audiences are more appriciative and passionate but they shouldn't exclude the North/South American audiences a chance to see this. Europe has so many countries so close together i'm guessing as long as you have a passport you can get from one country to the next without much problem and that's probably why so many more people go to these shows over there. As opposed to over here where you have to travel 500 miles just to get to the other side of the state and least that's how it is in New York state.

mankvill
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
its probably right inbetween the "oh, ok" and the "cool story bro" emoticons, but i cant seem to find them either.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5871/megadave.jpg

Div
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5871/megadave.jpg

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/454810_main.jpg

mankvill
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs023.snc3/11042_1071490324785_1751942086_138197_2682650_n.jp g

I wonder who's headlining...

idrinkwine732
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
How long until Dave bitches about it some way or another?

ravenheart
12-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Sonisphere Switzerland confirmed

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Heaven & Hell
Motorhead

ravenheart
12-16-2009, 08:21 AM
... and they haven't even announced the Donington line up yet ... ;)

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Rammstein

:uk:

Definitely not. Iron Maiden's Sonisphere appearance is their only UK appearance of the year. Rammstein's is their only festival appearance.

It'll probably be Metallica.

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Makes sense to me. :D

Maiden33
12-16-2009, 09:39 AM

YOU TAKE DOKKEN OUT OF THERE RIGHT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQmx-BM3XM

andrew_metalhead
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Sonisphere Switzerland confirmed

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Heaven & Hell
Motorhead

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

AnthG
12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs023.snc3/11042_1071490324785_1751942086_138197_2682650_n.jp g

I wonder who's headlining...

The mystery to me is who plays in the slot before Metallica. I thought it'd be Megadeth, but Slayer's name being by itself, and above Megadeth's who's logo being right next to Anthrax...hmmm.