PDA

View Full Version : Metallica -- San Jose, CA -- December 12th, 2009

TonyD
12-13-2009, 02:55 AM
My first time seeing Metallica, after [guesstimation] 100 shows. Shocking.
Volbeat was pretty forgettable. That's it n that's all.
Machine Head was a little worse than I expected, their music just doesn't transfer to the Metallica atmosphere well. Yelling "I want to see a bigger circle pit" while there is a circle 20 feet in diameter empty except for 3 drunk dudes walking around is pretty Spinal Tap. Seeing them for the 3rd time with short sets and a small pool of songs takes any excitement out of it, Fucking Hostile was the only real highlight.
First I want to say that Death Magnetic still does nothing for me. The most exciting part about the opener was the web of lasers hitting the stage. But sure as shit, the old stuff delivered. Nothing like the rush of hearing, "tonight we pay tribute to.....................uh......................... ........................DIAMOND HEAD. 1-2-3-4"

Machine Head:
Imperium
Ten Ton Hammer
Now I Lay Thee Down
Fucking Hostile
Halo
Beautiful Mourning
Davidian

Metallica
That Was Just Your Life
The End of the Line
Ride The Lightning
Harvester of Sorrow
Fade to Black
Broken Beat & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
One
My Apocalypse
The Day That Never Comes
Master of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
-----------------
Helpless
Motorbreath
Seek & Destroy

Maidenmagic
12-13-2009, 06:47 AM
You're not missing any songs. They are just somewhat out of order. (I checked Metontour.) Fade to black has had enough fun. It needs to go. Like I've said before, they haven't played blackened in the number 13 slot for awhile.

AnthG
12-13-2009, 09:19 AM
This was the last show of the tour, so you don't have to worry about seeing Fade to Black again for a while.

The Ghost at Number One
12-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I was at the show last night, and I couldn't disagree more about Volbeat. I've seen Metallica a bunch of times, and always love them, but I'm a huge Volbeat fan, and I was mainly there for them. While I thought they made some interesting choices as far as set list is concerned, they sounded great, and had energy to spare. Good fun.

idrinkwine732
12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I missed this show, and I'm really bummed about it. I would have been angry if they brought out some of the awesome older stuff.

wWilder
12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
This was my first Metallica show also( front row on floor:D)

They just have so much energy; for my first concert it was pretty awesome.

Ride the Lightning:party:
Harvester of Sorrow:rocker::rocker:
Fade to Black:light:
Fight Fire with Fire:rocker::rocker::flame::rocker::rocker:

I'm not complaining.

And the regular stuff in the set delivered as well.

Master, Sandman, and Seek were all awesome.

...and I got a ball! haha Me and my brother fought for it for like 3 minutes.

TonyD
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I was at the show last night, and I couldn't disagree more about Volbeat. I've seen Metallica a bunch of times, and always love them, but I'm a huge Volbeat fan, and I was mainly there for them. While I thought they made some interesting choices as far as set list is concerned, they sounded great, and had energy to spare. Good fun.

Not my bag, and nothing about their music stood out other than the singer sounding like the Swedish Chef in the muddy arena sound.

TonyD
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I missed this show, and I'm really bummed about it. I would have been angry if they brought out some of the awesome older stuff.

If they brought out some awesome older stuff? Ride the Lightning, Fight Fire With Fire, Motorbreath and Helpless is about as good as it gets IMO.

The Ghost at Number One
12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Not my bag, and nothing about their music stood out other than the singer sounding like the Swedish Chef in the muddy arena sound.
We'll agree to disagree, then.

Now that you mention it, though, he does sound a bit like the Swedish Chef.

AnthG
12-13-2009, 08:15 PM
He sounds more like Elvis when he sings.

idrinkwine732
12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
If they brought out some awesome older stuff? Ride the Lightning, Fight Fire With Fire, Motorbreath and Helpless is about as good as it gets IMO.

Some stuff I would have liked would be Hit The Lights, Whiplash, Blackened, Battery, Jump in the Fire...Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but I would have preffered some other stuff. If I had a choice, I would have been there.

The Ghost at Number One
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Some stuff I would have liked would be Hit The Lights, Whiplash, Blackened, Battery, Jump in the Fire...Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but I would have preffered some other stuff. If I had a choice, I would have been there.
They played Hit the Lights and Battery at the Marin show a couple of months ago. Quite awesome.