PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Missed Concert Regrets

DethMaiden
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Because I like feeling like shit, I was thinking about this today. Note: These should only be shows you feasibly had a chance to see, and preferably that you nearly did. No, "Oh I wish I went to Wacken in 2006, oh well, didn't have a plane ticket to Germany." That's obvious, and bullshit.

My list:

1. Iron Maiden with Bullet for My Valentine- 10/17/06- Detroit, MI
Reason I wanted to go: Would have been my first Iron Maiden show; Iron Maiden are my favorite band.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: They were playing AMOLAD in its entirety, and I thought that was a shitty setlist.
Reason I now regret this: It's Iron Fucking Maiden, and I may never see any of those AMOLAD songs now that I missed that tour, not to mention The Evil That Men Do.

2. At the Gates with Darkest Hour and Municipal Waste- 7/14/08- Chicago, IL
Reason I wanted to go: At the Gates released the greatest death metal album of all time back in 1995; Darkest Hour and Municipal Waste are both actually good bands.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: I didn't feel like driving to Chicago, even though two of my friends were already there and I would have been meeting up with them.
Reason I now regret this: Carcass putting on one of the greatest shows I've ever seen makes me think At the Gates would have been no different, and now I'll probably never see them live.

3. Slayer with Killswitch Engage and Mastodon- 11/21/04- Cincinnati, OH
Reason I wanted to go: It would have been my first metal concert, it would have been three days before my birthday, I loved Slayer, and I was obsessed with Mastodon and KSE at the time (Leviathan and The End of Heartache both being brand new)
Reason I convinced myself not to go: Not entirely sure anymore, but probably I didn't want to spend the money, as money was harder to come by when I was just shy of 14.
Reason I now regret this: Still haven't seen Slayer, videos from this era of Mastodon are so much better than when I saw them live in 2006 and 2007, and Killswitch are my favorite metalcore band, but not good enough that I'll ever go out of my way to see them.

4. Between the Buried and Me with The Red Chord, Cephalic Carnage and The End- 8/8/07- Covington, KY
Reason I wanted to go: That's pretty much a perfect modern metal lineup.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: I was at Ozzfest earlier that day, and decided to stay long enough to watch Lordi, making it impossible to get down to this show in time. Fucking Lordi.
Reason I now regret this: Fucking Lordi. And I still haven't seen Cephalic Carnage or The End.

5. Gigantour 2005 featuring Megadeth, Dream Theater, Fear Factory, Nevermore and Symphony X- 8/16/05- Cincinnati, OH
Reason I wanted to go: Gigantour was more appealing than Ozzfest and this was its best lineup ever.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: Not entirely sure, but I think it's possible that the venue was 18+. If so, that breaks the "feasibility rule", but fuck you, it's my thread.
Reason I now regret this: Still haven't seen Fear Factory, Nevermore, or Symphony X; still haven't seen Dream Theater play a good setlist.

JRA
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Isn't there already a thread like this, but without the whole top 5 thing?

DethMaiden
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Isn't there already a thread like this, but without the whole top 5 thing?

I actually have no idea, didn't search, and wouldn't have necromanced it even if I did.

ADD
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM
The one that stands out is King Diamond/Nile/Behemoth/Black Dahlia Murder at the Pound back in spring 2005. Parents explicitly wouldn't let me go :bouville: Also not going to Jethro Tull a couple years ago (it was either '07 or '06) cuz my friend bitched out when we were planning on going for months ahead.

JRA
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Anyways, missed opportunities:

1. Rush in 2004
2. Van Halen in 2007
3. Van Halen in 2008
4. Iron Maiden in 2008 (?)
5. Anytime Motorhead has come around. :mad:

SomewhereInTime72
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
1. Anthrax at any time during the Belladonna reunion.
2. Genesis in 2007.
3. Rush during any tour ever.
4. Kreator headlining that tour that also had Exodus and Warbringer earlier this year.
5. ANY of the four Nine Inch Nails farewell shows in nyc this past summer. Holy shit I felt extra bad once I saw those setlists.

mankvill
12-05-2009, 11:21 PM
y u do dis :boohoo:

1. Celtic Frost (opening for Type O Negative)
Reason I wanted to go: Celtic Frost was (and still is) one of my favorite bands ever.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: I couldn't. I went to buy tickets, and I had waited too long. It sold out.
Reason I now regret this: They broke up not too long after the show. I mean, I saw them once before...but still. :boohoo:

2. 1349
Reason I wanted to go: I love the fast black metal, and 1349 does it pretty well!
Reason I convinced myself not to go: I couldn't. I had to work. :boohoo:
Reason I now regret this: They (plus black metal as a whole) regularly avoids these here parts now.

3. Arsis + Skeletonwitch
Reason I wanted to go: I love Skeletonwitch (they mentioned they'd be doing this show the first time I saw them) and at the time A Celebration Of Guilt (by Arsis) was one of the best albums I'd ever heard.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: It was far as fuck away.
Reason I now regret this: It's okay I didn't go for Skeletonwitch, I've seen 'em tons since, but I've yet to see Arsis. The only other time they came through was on that shitty Thrash And Burn tour. I would kill to see Arsis headline. Oh, Suicide Silence headlined the show in the end, so I guess it's okay I skipped.

4. Pillage The Village (Necrophagist + Dying Fetus)
Reason I wanted to go: I love both the bands, and I've only seen Fetus once. I'm still jonesing for more of them.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: It was in Topeka on a school night. :boohoo:
Reason I now regret this: They haven't been back since. ;_;

5. ChthoniC
Reason I wanted to go: They were the first band I heard at Ozzfest 2007 and I've been hooked since.
Reason I convinced myself not to go: Again, in Topeka. Too far away for me.
Reason I now regret this: They're pretty high up on the bands I'm dying to see again.

edit: :bawling:

makethemsuffer12
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10761&highlight=shows+regret

:finger2:

I might as well add to this new thread though...

1. Metal Masters tour: I initially wanted to skip on this because Priest weren't doing Victim of Changes (I know, very, VERY stupid reason). I ended up having an ear infection that day anyway, but still...

2. At The Gates: I wasn't into them at the time... FUCK

3. Metallica 2nd Night @ MSG: Went to night 1 because it was on a saturday, but the sunday show's setlist raped the one I saw. It's not like I had any way of knowing, but it still hurts a little bit that I saw Turn the Page when they saw FADE TO FUCKING BLACK. And they got Shortest Straw where we got Holier than Thou etc...

4. Heaven and Hell/Alice Cooper/Queensryche: Why did I miss this? Hmmmm, I don't know...maybe because I am FUCKING RETARDED! AHHGGHH! FUCK! It was on a saturday too... But in my defense I was a bit of a n00b back then, so cut me some slack.

5. Dimmu Borgir/Behemoth/Keep of Kalessin: I don't remeber why exactly I missed this, I think it was because it was the day after Gigantour that year (2008), and it was in Jersey.

Now there have been plenty of shows that I haven't gone to because I wasn't allowed to go being that they were on school nights. Some of those shows being: Slayer/Unearth, Trivium/Chimaira, Machine Head @ the Crazy Donkey, Symphony X somewhere in Long Island, Iced Earth/Into Eternity, Gigantour 06, Hatebreed @ the Crazy Donkey on two occasions, Children of Bodom/Testament, and I will not be able to go to Opeth's 20th anniversary show because it's a fucking wednesday night :mad: :flame:

DethMaiden
12-06-2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10761&highlight=shows+regret

:finger2:

Sorry bro. :snivel:

mastodon421
12-06-2009, 09:58 AM
1. Sounds Of The Underground 2006 (As I Lay Dying,Killswitch Engage,In)Flames,Black Dahlia Murder,GWAR others)

This was when i first started into metal and would be an awesome show to go. Also in retrospect Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth were on the bill as well. At the time i had never listened to CC and hated Behemoth bad choice not going to this one.

2.New England Metal And Hardcore Festival 08

Way too many bands that i still havent seen that were on this.

3. Iron Maiden the last 2 times they have been to MA

I did try to go the last time they were here but it sold out:mad:

4. Lamb Of God/Killswitch Engage/Devildriver/Soilwork

Two of my fave bands along with Devildriver nuff said.

5. System Of A Down/The Mars Volta

Its appering SOAD has broken up for good and i still have never seen TMV.

makethemsuffer12
12-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry bro. :snivel:

Haha it's all good. That thread has been dead since September.

PowerMaiden
12-06-2009, 10:51 AM
1. Iron Maiden, World Piece Tour, Montreal Forum, Set 6 th 1983. Too noob into them to even realised anything.

2. Pink Floyd in 87 at the Montreal Forum, they did 3 nights and I didn't even go

3. Pantera , I've skip them a few times, I shouldn't have. I saw Damage Plan but that wasn't the same

4. Rage Against The Machine, in verdun auditorium for the Battle Of Los Angeles tour. I was in vacation and doing things with my family, I said to myself I'll catch them on another tour but that never happened

5. A Slayer concert in the 80's would have been great but I was too scared of them back then hehehe

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

zgodt
12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
1. Iron Maiden on the Somewhere Back in Time tour.

The closest they came to me was Cleveland, so it would have been a longer haul than I've ever taken for a concert, but I would've done it for this. But then there was a writing conference I really wanted to go to, and I'd never been to one, and it was cheap and I had free babysitting, and it was over the same dates as Maiden's midwest jaunt, and it was in Indiana. So I skipped Maiden's Cleveland show. Which for all I know could be the last time they play within 1000 miles of me, and which by all accounts was their greatest tour ever. Damn.

2-4. For a Mars Volta show in Detroit a few years ago, I decided just to get a ticket at the door because I didn't want to pay the Ticketmaster fee. By the time I got to Detroit it was sold out. Fuck. Then the next time they came around with SOAD, tickets were like $80 and I thought, who the fuck do you people think you are, Bruce Springsteen? So I didn't go. Another time they played the theater in downtown Ann Arbor where I got married, but I had something else happening that night. Three chances. Now I've still never seen them. And by all accounts they're one of the best live bands on the planet. Well shit.

5. I don't know. All my friends went to see Bad Religion once and I didn't. I don't know why.

zgodt
12-07-2009, 05:22 AM
3. Slayer with Killswitch Engage and Mastodon- 11/21/04- Cincinnati, OH

Reason I now regret this: Still haven't seen Slayer, videos from this era of Mastodon are so much better than when I saw them live in 2006 and 2007, and Killswitch are my favorite metalcore band, but not good enough that I'll ever go out of my way to see them.

Surprisingly, I thought Mastodon was boring as hell at this show, but Killswitch was a lot of fun.

Maiden33
12-07-2009, 07:31 AM
01.ProgPower USA VII (2006). Between the 3 days, Evergrey, Jorn, Circle II Circle, Vision Divine, Thunderstone, Theocracy, and Savage Circus performed. Almost all of these are bands that I have always had a special liking for, and the combination of all of them together is ridiculous, especially since Vision Divine and Thunderstone have turned to crap since.

02.Dream Theater @ Radio City Music Hall - April 1st, 2006. The show "Score" was recorded at. I was a lesser DT fan than I am now, so I was wary about seeing them given the variables, so I passed despite my best friend having an extra ticket. As shown on the DVD, both the setlist (IMO) and the performance were amazing.

03.ProgPower USA X (2009). Given my recent general shift towards Prog from Power metal, the lineup consisting of Fates Warning, Royal Hunt, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, and in a lesser vein, Brainstorm, was just immense, especially since I'd kill to see Royal Hunt and this was probably the best chance I was ever going to get.

04.Iced Earth w/ Evergrey @ The Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, NJ - May, 2004. The thought of having missed IE play all of Gettysburg and Evergrey play a great support slot still chafes me.

05.Stratovarius @ BB Kings - New York, NY - October 2006. The setlist itself was just ridiculously good compared to the two times I've seen them. Also this was the last time Strato ever played the US with Tolkki, so it was a real special evening. Money just wasn't in place for this one, so I couldn't make it happen.

06.Riot @ Double D's - NJ - March 2006. I was just getting heavily into the band at the time, but they haven't done any type of touring since, the odds of me getting a shot to see them (let alone perform a good chunk of Dimeo material) are pretty slim.

I also wish I could've seen Helloween and Gamma Ray @ BB Kings last year, if only to see Gamma Ray, since they were fantastic when I saw them in 2006.

IrritatedTrout
12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
1. Slayer and Mastodon @ The Norva, Norfolk - Sometime in winter 07.

Two of my favorite bands at the time and they decided to play the ONE weekend I was out of town in February.

2. Rush @ Nissian Pavillion, Bristow VA - Summer 2008

I had a couple Rush albums but I decided I would see them some other time because I was already seeing Maiden / Metal Masters over the summer.

3. Ozzy Osbourne @ Verizon Center, Washington DC - Winter 07? 08?

My friends went and invited me but I decided it wasn't worth the money... how stupid.

4. Blind Guardian @ Jaxx, Springfield VA - December 06

I didn't have a ride up to northern VA, I bet I could have worked something out had I tried harder though.

5. Gigantour 08 @ Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD - April 08

Me and my friends had planned on going to this but then we got in a big fight a few months before and I don't think any of us ended up going.

I also missed a few amazing tours because I got into the band just a few months too late, those include: Iron Maiden - DoD tour (:snivel::bawling::snivel:), Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution tour in Bristow VA, and Rush 07 tour in VA Beach.

xStructualDefect
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
i have too many to list

Arch Enemy w/ Dark Tranquillity 08
Bodom w/ Amon Amarth 06
CA Metalfest with Carcass 09
Summer Slaughter 08
Sounds of the Underground 06 and 07
all Ozzfests
all 3 In Flames headline tours i've missed
Machine Head w/ Arch Enemy 08
LOG, COB, and DevilDriver 09 (DD replaced AILD on my date)
Unearth w/ Darkest Hour and Suicide Silence 07 (Unearth recorded their live dvd at my show)

and most of all: Wacken '08. holy fuck according to the set timesi read, i would've been seeing one favorite band after another for 2 days straight.

jhdeity
12-16-2009, 05:29 AM
After watching Live at Reading yesterday it's obvious that I made a monumental msitake skipping Nirvana the last time they came to town. I wasn't very high on In Utero and thought they would make a better album and tour closer to home. Turns out a 45 minute drive cost me a once in a lifetime experience.

I did see Pearl Jam the night Kurt died and they played for 2 hours and 45 minutes even though Eddie was drunk off his ass. Everyone thought they were going to cancel and instead they put on one of the 10 best concerts I've ever seen in my life.

I would still rather have seen Nirvana though...

ImmortalEmperor
12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Two that immediately come to mind:

Priest on Screaming for Vengeance. I was just getting into them and none of my friends wanted to go. It was the last time they ever came to Tucson so I ended up not being able to see them until I got my driver's license and saw the Turbo tour in Phoenix.

Rush on Grace Under Pressure. I'd seen them on Signals and have seen them many times since, but they had Gary Moore opening that tour and I've never gotten another chance to see him play live.

I decided years ago that when in doubt, go to the show. That way, no regrets down the line...

TonyD
12-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Mastodon on the first leg of the Blood Mountain tour
Couldn't go because my dad's leg was fucked up, I couldn't drive at the time and the only way to get to the venue without a car is by train, subway AND bus.

Judas Priest in 2005, since they didn't come back for another 3 years, but it only made that show that much more exciting.

Maybe I'll regret not seeing Baroness earlier this month, but if they come back around headlining small venues this Spring I'll be stoked.

Are there any shows anybody really regrets going to?

DethMaiden
12-20-2009, 05:52 PM

I went and saw Slave to the System because Scott Rockenfield from Queensryche was the drummer. But he was on tour with Queensryche so someone else filled in. There were twenty people there, they sucked, and Kelly Gray showed exactly why he got kicked out of Queensryche.

Natrlhi
12-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe I'll regret not seeing Baroness earlier this month, but if they come back around headlining small venues this Spring I'll be stoked.
They do plan to do just that - at least according to John Baizley.

I saw some really shitball shows when I was younger and a whole lot less discerning, but luckily for me I really don't remember many of them. :D

Maiden33
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Not really in the way of complete shows, but a few of the most disappointing bands I've seen have been Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Judas Priest (suck it, status quo), and Def leppard (second time, went primarily to see Tesla open). Edguy in '07 was kinda disappointing.

Stratovarius this year was pretty damn disappointing, but technically they were very good, probably actually much better than the first time I saw them. They just seemed kinda dull and uninspired/unenthusiastic... probably due to following an absolutely incredible Pagan's Mind performance.

Jochen
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
1. Type O Negative/Celtic Frost (4/2007) - I actually don't remember why I couldn't go, but obviously CF broke up, and I later got into TON and they're now one of my favorite bands, and they played We Hate Everyone. This is biggest regret.

2. Cynic opening for Dragonforce (4/2009) - I saw Cynic earlier that February, the setlist was actually really crappy, but I still really regret it, because I don't have a lot of hope of seeing them again.

3. Cannibal Corpse/Dying Fetus (11/2006) - I was grounded, and then CC didn't come to Milwaukee for 2.5 years. I've seen Cannibal Corpse three times since I missed this, I saw Dying Fetus on Summer Slaughter and am seeing them in May, so I guess it's not that bad.

4. Nile/Immolation (1/2010) - I didn't have the money from seeing Suffocation three days earlier. I really doubt I'll have the chance to see Immolation again, and reading the reviews of how great the shows were hasn't helped.

5. Type O Negative (10/2007) - Wasn't really into them. Once I got into them a few months later and saw the setlist for the tour I was extra mad. My first TON show ended up being the god awful Jaegermeister Tour. The last tour (10/2009) was good, but they didn't play anything from Slow Deep and Hard.

The Green and Black
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Edguy in '07 was kinda disappointing.

Yeah, I saw the NYC Edguy show in 2007 and honestly wished I had stayed home. That was the worst and most boring set I had seem from them. I had seen them previously with Tad Morose in NY and they were amazing. Also saw them with Hammerfall and they were good. Not that Edguy is ever terrible, but for one my favorite bands and considering the genius I consider Tobias to be, I expected more.

Maiden33
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I saw the NYC Edguy show in 2007 and honestly wished I had stayed home. That was the worst and most boring set I had seem from them. I had seen them previously with Tad Morose in NY and they were amazing. Also saw them with Hammerfall and they were good. Not that Edguy is ever terrible, but for one my favorite bands and considering the genius I consider Tobias to be, I expected more.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I was at that '04 show with Tad Morose too. THAT was fucking incredible. One of only 3 times "The Piper Never Dies" has been played in the US, and the only time "We Don't Need a Hero" was ever played live. Not to mention Tad Morose are (were, unfortunately) fucking awesome.

IrritatedTrout
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Two that I can think of. First was Cynic and Meshuggah, had to drive for 3 and a half hours, got stuck in Baltimore traffic, had to stand in the freezing cold for two hours, and the venue staff were all huge dicks. Cynic was underwhelming, and Meshuggah was the most boring headliner I've ever seen, I left halfway through their set. At the time I thought that was the only chance I would get to see Cynic but then I saw them headline a few months later and they were awesome, so much better than before.

My other regret is seeing Wino's solo band. He didn't hardly play anything besides his solo record (a little Vitus would have been nice) and he skipped what is far and away the best song from Punctuated Equilibrium. Also, most of his solos were just plain boring, and he did a bunch of 'em in between songs.

The Green and Black
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Not to mention Tad Morose are (were, unfortunately) fucking awesome.

I had heard they now have the singer from Steel Attack and are working on an album, although it won't be the same for me without Urban Breed.

Two Tad Morose related questions for you -

1) Have you heard Bloodbound? Amazing stuff with Urban Breed. Although he is out of the band again. Check out Nosferatu and Tabula Rasa
2) Have you heard Tad Morose covering Power of the Night by Savatage? Cool cover! It's on some obscure metal compilation that I picked up, a bunch of Euro bands doing covers.

evildeadjedi
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Not seeing Metallica with Pantera when they toured.
Not seeing Iron Maiden as of yet.
Never catching Megadeath as of this day.
Not attending Motorhead/Dio/Iron Maiden at Polaris Amphitheater several years ago.
Not attending the Ozzfest where Priest played.

Maiden33
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I had heard they now have the singer from Steel Attack and are working on an album, although it won't be the same for me without Urban Breed.

Two Tad Morose related questions for you -

1) Have you heard Bloodbound? Amazing stuff with Urban Breed. Although he is out of the band again. Check out Nosferatu and Tabula Rasa
2) Have you heard Tad Morose covering Power of the Night by Savatage? Cool cover! It's on some obscure metal compilation that I picked up, a bunch of Euro bands doing covers.

Yeah, they have been working on this illusive new album for years now. Unfortunately it's gotten to the point that it's not just Urban Breed gone from the 1998 - 2005 line-up. The only two remaining members are Christer Andersson (Rhythm Guitar) and Peter Moren (Drums). With that in mind, not sure how much faith I have in them doing material anymore - I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near the quality of albums like Undead and Modus Vivendi.

1) Oh yeah. Tabula Rasa was my #2 album of 2009, absolutely awesome and a huge jump up from their first two records, though I think they're both solid.

2) Yep. I honestly thought it was kind underwhelming, but definitely pretty solid.

adamclark52
04-15-2010, 05:40 AM
I've missed so many shows that I don't want to think about it. But one that always springs to mind is late-2005 when Behemoth played the Dungeon in Oshawa, Ontario. Such a small shitty club, it would've been awesome. The thing that kept me from going was that I really wasn't a Behemoth fan at the time.

I always remember a friend of mine who did go telling me that he met Nergal after the show and he said something to the tune of, 'we've played in some of the worst clubs in Eastern Europe, but this place is just shit'. I just think that's the funniest thing I've heard in my life.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
My missing of Type O Negative/Celtic Frost is even more upsetting now. :(

jotun2graveland
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Alcest w/ Have a Nice Life. The fact that Alcest is touring NA with an amazing support band. Although it's coming nowhere near the west coast, I would still consider it to be a show that I completely regret not trying to make to.

SuFfoLkPriDe
04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
1. Sepultura 1996 NY
This is 15 years back, so I don't remember the venue, but the story is: My friends all had tickets, and kept bugging me to get a ticket. Well I decided going out with this girl from my school was more important, and ditched. Obviously, by the end of the year Sepultura lost max, and changed. I think about missing this show all of the time.

2. Suicide Silence 2007 Crazy Donkey
I missed this show because I had work, but I regretted missing it because they just aren't the same anymore. I heard it was a real good set too.

3. The Black Dahlia Murder 2006
They were playing in the city, and I just didn't have enough money. Never got word of them playing in New York since.

4. The Police - Giants Stadium 2007
Only band I listen to that's not metal, and it sold out too fast. They probably will never play again, and it would have been great to see them at least once.

5. Dethklok 2008
All I can say is that Metalocolypse is a funny show, and the music was too funny to be real. Gene on drums. Enough said. It was sold out, and tickets on other websites were going over one hundred dollars each. It wasn't fair.