PDA

View Full Version : Best Cover Songs of All Time

jhdeity
11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm sitting here listening to Dream Theater's version of Achilles Last Stand and I was trying to place it on the list of all time best cover songs I've ever heard. My list would shape up like this:

1) Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (Some people have no clue this is a Fleetwood Mac song)
2) Iron Maiden - Cross Eyed Mary
3) Testament - Nobody's Fault
4) Metallica - Am I Evil?
5) Anthrax - Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun (still like the Beasties version better though)
6) Slayer - Dissident Aggressor
7) Rage Against the Machine - How I Could Just Kill a Man
8) Sublime - We're Only Gonna Die for Our Arrogance
9) Dream Theater - Achilles Last Stand
10) Machine Head - Halowed Be Thy Name
11) Flotsam & Jetsam - Saturday's Alright for Fighting
12) Tool - No Quarter
13) Johnny Cash - Hurt
14) Fear Factory - Cars
15) Type O Negative - Summer Breeze
16) Guns N Roses - Live and Let Die
17) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
18) Dark Angel - Immigrant Song
19) Van Halen - You Really Got Me
20) Pantera - Planet Caravan

Honorable mentions: Sid Vicious - My Way, Deep Purple - Hush, Nazareth - Love Hurts, Shinedown - Simple Man, Judas Priest - Diamonds & Rust, Nirvana - Man Who Sold The World & Cake - I Will Survive

ravenheart
11-27-2009, 11:34 AM
This list instantly fails because Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower is missing.

I think Planet Caravan is crap, no matter who does it.

My list, if we're sticking to just 20 songs:

Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower
Primal Fear - Die Young
Ghostlines - Brave New World
Kiuas - Electric Crown
Black Label Society - No More Tears
W.A.S.P. - Burn
Reverend Bizarre - Deceiver
Murderdolls - White Wedding
Volbeat - I Only Want To Be With You
Gov't Mule - Maybe I'm A Leo
Pride & Glory - The Wizard
Order of Nine - Disturbing The Priest
The Black Crowes - Hard To Handle
The Hoax - Superstitious
Metallica - The Small Hours
Eric Gales - Trampled Underfoot
Biohazard - After Forever
Sepultura - Procreation (of The Wicked)
Sepultura - Symptom of The Universe
Warren Haynes - One

Almost: Demons & Wizards - Immigrant Song, Johnny Cash - Hurt, GN'R - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

jhdeity
11-27-2009, 12:32 PM
When you get to be my age there will be certain songs that no matter how great they are or used to be will make you cringe when you hear them. Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff would be one and sorry but All Along the Watchtower is another one. It would have made my Top 10 several years ago but it's tired and played out to me now. I could go the rest of my life and never hear either song again and die happy. It is what it is...

I'm sure some people really like some of the Queensryche - Take Cover songs or have a copy of Dream Theater doing the entire Master of Puppets cd and would choose Disposable Heroes or another track off of there. I prefer "high" singers doing other high vocals and love their version of Achilles.

Maiden33
11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
A List of favorite covers is something I've been wanting to compile for some time, I'll get around to doing it for this eventually.

mankvill
11-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Bob Dylan - Desolation Row

Really improved the MCR version

mastodon421
11-27-2009, 01:33 PM
My faves

Pantera-Electric Funeral, Planet Caravan
Rage Against The Machine- How I Could Just Kill A Man
Guns N Roses-Live And Let Die
Machine Head-Hallowed Be Thy Name
and the one I know I will get flamed for.......

Killswitch Engage-Holy Diver

jhdeity
11-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Biohazard - After Forever would have made my list if I remembered it. They way they deliver the Would you like to see the Pope... line is money!

ravenheart
11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
When you get to be my age there will be certain songs that no matter how great they are or used to be will make you cringe when you hear them. Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff would be one and sorry but All Along the Watchtower is another one. It would have made my Top 10 several years ago but it's tired and played out to me now. I could go the rest of my life and never hear either song again and die happy. It is what it is...

I'm sure some people really like some of the Queensryche - Take Cover songs or have a copy of Dream Theater doing the entire Master of Puppets cd and would choose Disposable Heroes or another track off of there. I prefer "high" singers doing other high vocals and love their version of Achilles.

Overplayed it may be (it's certainly not here, incidentally), but that takes nothing at all away from it as a cover version. As Dylan himself said, that song is Jimi's now. And that defines the greatest cover versions. It's flawless in every way. Leaving it out because it's on the radio a little too often is ridiculous.

All of 'ryche's covers on 'Take Cover' are shit, by the way. No one should include any of those in even their top 50.

And Dream Theater are really no good at Metallica. I have that CD, it's not great. Their live version of 'Perfect Strangers' is good, though.

ravenheart
11-27-2009, 04:28 PM
10) Machine Head - Halowed Be Thy Name

Machine Head-Hallowed Be Thy Name

:nonono:

powerslave_85
11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Best Maiden cover is Gallows' version of "Wrathchild."

ravenheart
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Best Maiden cover is Gallows' version of "Wrathchild."

No one covers 'Wrathchild' like Paul Di'Anno ;)

b_halperin
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
4) Metallica - Am I Evil?
7) Rage Against the Machine - How I Could Just Kill a Man

never knew those were covers haha

Maiden33
11-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Alright, a huge mixed bag of stuff here. I perused my entire collection (which includes 5 burned discs of nothing but covers), and the following are what I would generally call my "favorite" covers. I don't have a really strict ruling for what makes a cover great, but usually I either find it be a stunning replication of the awesomeness of the original, or I found that the band put a really cool spin on a song and made it much better than it originally was, or at least drew attention to it where it otherwise wouldn't have. I am especially fond of modern bands covering songs from the 70s and 80s, especially more "Hard rock" stuff and "updating" them in a way that totally kicks ass.

Also, you'll notice there are certain artists I think are particularly good at doing covers:

Dungeon - Caught Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden)
Dungeon - Wasted Years (Iron Maiden)
Dungeon - Queen of the Reich (Queensryche)
Jorn - Edge of the Blade (Journey)
Jorn - The Sun Goes Down (Thin Lizzy)
Jorn - Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple)
Jorn - Burn (Deep Purple)
Jorn - Lonely is the Word / Letters From Earth (Black Sabbath)
Jorn - On and On (Michael Schenker Group)
Jorn - Kill the King (Rainbow)
Redemption - Love to Love (UFO)
Primal Fear - Out in the Fields (Gary Moore)
At Vance - Logical Song (Supertramp)
At Vance - Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
Iron Maiden - That Girl (FM)
Iced Earth - Screaming For Vengeance (Judas Priest)
Vision Divine - Another Day (Dream Theater)
Tad Morose - Losing More Than You've Ever Had (Accept)
Axel Rudi Pell - In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
Axel Rudi Pell - Warrior (Riot)
Vanden Plas - Gethsemane (Jesus Christ Superstar)
Magnitude 9 - Flight of Icarus (Iron Maiden)
Sonata Arctica - Still Loving You (The Scorpions)
Firewind - Maniac (Michael Sembello)
Jaded Heart - Larger Than Life (Backstreet Boys)
Jaded Heart - Easy Lover (Phil Collins)
Saxon - Ride Like the Wind (Christopher Cross)
Anthrax - It's Late (Queen)

mankvill
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM

I PANCH U IN DA FASE

mankvill
11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
RATM doing In My Eyes is pretty fucking awesome too.

JuuKun
11-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I looked at my music collection, and picked a few of my favorites. There are definitely more, but I seem to have lost a lot of the covers I used to have so these are out of the ones I had.

Billy Idol - Mony Mony (Tommy James and the Shondells)
Morgana Lefay - Captain Howdy (Twisted Sister)
Nevermore - The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
Pagan's Mind - At the Graves (King Diamond)
Raintime - Beat It (Michael Jackson)
Tarot - Veteran of Psychic Wars (Blue Oyster Cult)
Turisas - Raspution (Boney M)

Oh, and not sure how well it fits into the thread since it wasn't recorded, BUT:
Ralf Scheepers & Floor Jansen - Who Wants To Live Forever (Queen)
Amazing.

Wizzbang11
11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Massacre- Warhead (Venom)
Cirith Ungol- Fire (Arthur Brown)
Impaled- I Work for the Streetcleaner (Impetigo)
Tiger Junkies- Sex Sex Sex (Toxic Holocaust)

Butcher of Birth
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I like Machine Head's version of Hallowed, I think it does the job.

But I gotta go with best cover... Iron Maiden - Smoke On The Water, Live at The Wedding!

rjturtle9
11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
But I gotta go with best cover... Iron Maiden - Smoke On The Water, Live at The Wedding!

:D

SomewhereInTime72
11-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Dungeon - Queen of the Reich (Iron Maiden)

I know this was a simple mistake, but I still almost dropped my drink in shock after reading this. ;)

Butcher of Birth
11-28-2009, 09:12 AM
tehehe

Dextrimental
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Hmmm, theres a few on my list of good/interesting cover versions, and I know ill get flamed for some, but hey its over the internet so who cares.

Fightstar - Breaking the Law (they tried to put it into their own sound, and I enjoy some of their stuff so to me, they get merit for at least trying and not replicating it)

Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Wasn gonna mention it cuz its already been mentioned, but just to annoy ravenheart)

Newton Faulkner - Bohemian Rhapsody (Just does it live as far as I know, and its STUNNING)

ravenheart
11-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Lol, what makes this even funnier (lamer?) is both songs are on albums that are entirely covers.

Spiral_Slave
11-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Ensiferum - Battery
Tarot - Locomotive Breath
Children Of Bodom - Rebel Yell, Hellion
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Black Tears
Nightwish - Crimson Tide / Deep Blue Sea
Sonata Arctica - Still Loving You, The Wind Beneath My Wings
Sinner - Baby, Please Don't Go, Little Head
Running Wild - Genocide
Sepultura - The Hunt

Maiden33
11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I know this was a simple mistake, but I still almost dropped my drink in shock after reading this. ;)

How on earth did I do that? haha.

Oh yes, and another random thing I forgot:
Icarus Witch - Mirror Mirror (Def leppard)

Natrlhi
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Here are some awesome covers, off the top of my head:

Metallica - Stone Dead Forever (Motorhead)
Metallica - Last Caress / Green Hell (Misfits)
Slayer - Sick Boy (G.B.H.)
Slayer - Mr. Freeze (Dr. Know)
Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motorhead) :rocker:
Sepultura - Procreation of the Wicked (Celtic Frost)
Sepultura - We Gotta Know (Cro-Mags)
Arch Enemy - Incarnated Solvent Abuse (Carcass) :rocker:
Arch Enemy - Aces High (Iron Maiden)
Arch Enemy - Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth)
Vader - Fear of Napalm (Terrorizer)
Vader - Fight Fire with Fire (Metallica)
Vader - Black Metal (Venom)
Vader - Raining Blood (Slayer) :rocker:
Voivod - Chemical Warfare (Slayer)
Entombed - 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson)
Ensiferum - Battery (Metallica) :rocker:
Cobalt - Extinction (Nausea)
Asschapel - Raining Blood (Slayer)
Cannibal Corpse - No Remorse (Metallica)
Cephalic Carnage - Jesus Saves (Slayer)
Vomitory - Christ Passion (Sodom)
Behemoth - Wish (Nine Inch Nails)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)
High on Fire - The Usurper (Celtic Frost)
Opeth - Circle of the Tyrant (Celtic Frost)
Monstrosity - Angel of Death (Slayer)
Pig Destroyer - Exhume to Consume (Carcass) :rocker:
Pelican - Geometry of Murder (Earth)
Isis - Streetcleaner (Godflesh)
Tool - Demon Cleaner (Kyuss)
Ministry - Supernaut (Black Sabbath)
Coalesce - Supernaut (Black Sabbath)
Coalesce - Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
Coalesce - Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)
Coalesce - Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
The Accused - Devil Woman (Cliff Richard) :D
The Accused - Barracuda (Heart) :D
Richard Cheese - Enter Sandman (Metallica) :D

..and no, this is not a list of all covers I could think of - I was actually trying to be discerning here. :eyes:

Maybe I need to get out more...

The Nat :horns:

jhdeity
11-30-2009, 06:50 AM
[QUOTE=Natrlhi;239629]Cephalic Carnage - Jesus Saves (Slayer)
QUOTE]

I have to check those out STAT !

Fe Maiden
11-30-2009, 07:32 AM
I've always liked UFO's cover of Love's Alone Again Or.

I heard the UFO version first and never would have guessed this was a cover.

SirLardsAlot
11-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Blind Guardian - Mr. Sandman (The Chordettes)
Blind Guardian - Surfin' USA (Beach Boys)
Blind Guardian - Barbara Ann / Long Tall Sally (Beach Boys / Little Richard)

Hands down my favorite covers ever.

Honorable mentions:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Put a Spell on You (Screamin' Jay Hawkins)
Iron Maiden - Doctor, Doctor (UFO)
Iron Maiden - I've Got the Fire (Montrose)
Iron Maiden - That Girl (FM)
Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez)
Wolf - Deja Vu (Iron Maiden)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Natrlhi
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Cephalic Carnage - Jesus Saves (Slayer)

I have to check those out STAT !
Indeed. :D

Here are the albums where you can find them:
Cephalic Carnage - Jesus Saves (Slayer) <-- Scrape My Lungs (1994 - Demo)
Vomitory - Christ Passion (Sodom) <-- Redemption (2003 - Remaster)
Behemoth - Wish (Nine Inch Nails) <-- Conjuration (2003 - EP)

ImmortalEmperor
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Thin Lizzy - Rosalie

jhdeity
12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm getting ready to put a bunch of cd's on ebay and came across a Vader cover cd called Future of the Past. Didn't even know I owned it. The Slayer (Silent Scream), Kreator (Flag of Hate), Sodom (Outbreak of Evil) and Dark Angel (Merciless Death) covers are all cool. Listening to their version of Dethroned Emperor now. Tom Warrior would be proud...

Nothing cooler than re-discovering music... or in this case discovering it in a pile of old computer programs next to MDK and Recoil MMX version. hahaha

zgodt
12-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Metal bands doing metal covers of metal songs by other metal bands -- why bother? I just don't see the point.

I like covers that transform the original into something new (a la Hendrix's "Watchtower"). Here are some of my favorites.

Husker Du - Eight Miles High (The Byrds) (by the last verse, Bob Mould drops the lyrics altogether and just groans and growls through the melody)

Uncle Tupelo - Coalminers; Moonshiner; Atomic Power (old Americana songs put into new context on their 3rd album; "Atomic Power" is especially creepy, with happy fiddles as the singer calls for fire to rain on high and take us all to our savior in the air)

Tori Amos - '97 Bonnie and Clyde; Raining Blood (Two of the creepiest motherfucking things you will ever hear. The eminem cover even moreso than the Slayer cover.)

Foo Fighters - Baker Street (just plain fucking rocks)

Lemonheads - Plaster Caster; Your Home Is Where You're Happy (their straight up cover of "Mrs. Robinson" is fun too, but these two do more with the material; the Kiss cover becomes a sort of dark satire on rock-and-roll misogyny. the other cover is a happy folky sounding song about freedom, which makes you sort of nod along in agreement, which is fine until you remember that the original is by Charles Manson)

Metallica - The Wait; Breadfan (I think Metallica is a pretty damn fine cover band. even when they do metal songs they usually either choose originals no one else ever cared about (e.g. Diamondhead) or else transform them somehow (e.g. Sabra Cadabra)

Jawbox - Cornflake Girl (badass cover of Tori Amos)

Hot Water Music - Dreamworld (badass cover of Midnight Oil - it's so much better when rock bands do earnest covers of lost 80s material than when they do easy "ironic" versions, like Korn's "Faith" -- ugh. wasn't there a ska version of "Take on Me" by A-ha on the radio a few years back? that was surprisingly cool too.)

Natrlhi
12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Metal bands doing metal covers of metal songs by other metal bands -- why bother? I just don't see the point.

I like covers that transform the original into something new (a la Hendrix's "Watchtower"). Here are some of my favorites.

Husker Du - Eight Miles High (The Byrds) (by the last verse, Bob Mould drops the lyrics altogether and just groans and growls through the melody)

Uncle Tupelo - Coalminers; Moonshiner; Atomic Power (old Americana songs put into new context on their 3rd album; "Atomic Power" is especially creepy, with happy fiddles as the singer calls for fire to rain on high and take us all to our savior in the air)

Tori Amos - '97 Bonnie and Clyde; Raining Blood (Two of the creepiest motherfucking things you will ever hear. The eminem cover even moreso than the Slayer cover.)

Foo Fighters - Baker Street (just plain fucking rocks)

Lemonheads - Plaster Caster; Your Home Is Where You're Happy (their straight up cover of "Mrs. Robinson" is fun too, but these two do more with the material; the Kiss cover becomes a sort of dark satire on rock-and-roll misogyny. the other cover is a happy folky sounding song about freedom, which makes you sort of nod along in agreement, which is fine until you remember that the original is by Charles Manson)

Metallica - The Wait; Breadfan (I think Metallica is a pretty damn fine cover band. even when they do metal songs they usually either choose originals no one else ever cared about (e.g. Diamondhead) or else transform them somehow (e.g. Sabra Cadabra)

Jawbox - Cornflake Girl (badass cover of Tori Amos)

Hot Water Music - Dreamworld (badass cover of Midnight Oil - it's so much better when rock bands do earnest covers of lost 80s material than when they do easy "ironic" versions, like Korn's "Faith" -- ugh. wasn't there a ska version of "Take on Me" by A-ha on the radio a few years back? that was surprisingly cool too.)
In this vein - I always thought Orgy's remake of New Order's "Blue Monday" was kinda badass (and a way darker version than the original).

Maiden33
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I don't want to come off like a presumptious ass, but I'm going to assume you are not a musician? Not necessarily that you don't play, but not actively enough to consider yourself an active musician. The reason behind this is that for the average person who actively persues music, they have grown on their instrument and gained experience by playing songs they love by the bands they love that inspire them to play the music they create. For example, even though it's my priority to make my own music, I get a huge rush out of playing songs I love - Maiden songs, or whatever. It stands to reason that if you get a bunch of people together with similar music tastes, there's enough desire to play a song you love just for fun, even if you're not "adding to it" or whatever. It's just fun, and hey, it does make perfect fluff for bonus tracks.

powerslave_85
12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Hahaha. Scott's been in a few bands, dude.

DethMaiden
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Yeah, basically. I won't lie and say I don't like some metal covers of metal songs, or that it's not totally badass when, say, Vader encores with "Raining Blood," but as a general rule, you're right.

That being said, I think Nevermore/Warrel Dane have cover songs figured the fuck out. Check out "The Sound of Silence" by Nevermore and "Patterns" and "Lucretia My Reflection" from Warrel's solo album. All among my favorites.

ADD
12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Covers should be saved for the gigs, unless you do like what Tool did with "No Quarter" or Ulver with Sabbath's "Solitude." There's lots of interesting covers out there but these came to mind first. Fu Manchu's cover of Devo "Freedom of Choice", Annihilation Time cover of Pink Fairies "Teenage Rebel", those do the job right too.

Maiden33
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Hahaha. Scott's been in a few bands, dude.

Didn't know, it was just a thought. No need to try to make an ass out of me. My point still stands, regardless of whether or not he's been in active bands. I still see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

SomewhereInTime72
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Didn't know, it was just a thought. No need to try to make an ass out of me. My point still stands, regardless of whether or not he's been in active bands. I still see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Well, I think there's nothing wrong with covers, but outside of a live environment, it fails to be particularly interesting unless it's been changed around.

In a live setting covers can be just pure fun/awesome, but as you said before... part of the biggest fun of a cover is the musician playing one of his favorite songs. That's all good and all, but why should I hear it? As a listener, a cover that changes nothing as a studio recording just feels unnecessary.

btw i've several times considered starting a cover band that sounds like it would be so fun goddayum

JuuKun
12-03-2009, 05:58 PM
One of my goals in life is to do a metal cover of "Be Prepared" from The Lion King :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Warrel Dane - Lucretia My Reflection
Children of Bodom - Ghost Riders in the Sky
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Coheed and Cambria - The Trooper
Dragonlord - Emerald
Mastodon - Emerald

Maiden33
12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
One of my goals in life is to do a metal cover of "Be Prepared" from The Lion King :eyes:

To be honest there are a few songs from various Disney Movies that could be done into pretty awesome covers.

Maiden33
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, I think there's nothing wrong with covers, but outside of a live environment, it fails to be particularly interesting unless it's been changed around.

In a live setting covers can be just pure fun/awesome, but as you said before... part of the biggest fun of a cover is the musician playing one of his favorite songs. That's all good and all, but why should I hear it? As a listener, a cover that changes nothing as a studio recording just feels unnecessary.

btw i've several times considered starting a cover band that sounds like it would be so fun goddayum

Well yeah, I get that to the average joe, it doesn't really have any meaning, I was merely trying to defend the fact that there is SOME purpose behind it, from some perspective, and it's not a totally worthless practice. If it's a cover vs. an original song when it comes to bonus material, I'm obviously going to prefer another original track, but if it's a cover of a song I happen to already love vs. nothing? Why not. I just don't have such a principled bias against the practice, because I know what that's like, because given the opportunity, I'd be happy to record an entire album of covers just for fun.

I'm actually far more against covers in the live setting in terms of bands with a good chunk of their own material. If it's a local/regional band or someone with one album, I'm all for covers as set filler because again, I know what it's like, covers are a great way to help win over a testy audience. However, if a band has a decent chunk of material, enough that compacting it into a set is a challenge, I don't want any covers. Nothing pisses me off more than when bands skip song after song I love but fill voids with solo spots, covers, and crowd participation.

JuuKun
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
To be honest there are a few songs from various Disney Movies that could be done into pretty awesome covers.

Definitely. I'd love to hear good Disney covers, opposed to the trash that Disney puts together. I almost vomited when I heard Miley Cyrus' version of "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.

You know, considering the love Tuomas has for Disney, I'm surprised now that I think about it that Nightwish have never covered any.

mankvill
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Definitely. I'd love to hear good Disney covers, opposed to the trash that Disney puts together. I almost vomited when I heard Miley Cyrus' version of "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.

You know, considering the love Tuomas has for Disney, I'm surprised now that I think about it that Nightwish have never covered any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti5JqfCTj-g

jhdeity
12-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Holy shitballz! Has anyone heard the Richard Cheese cd yet? His cover of People = Shit is classic!

zgodt
12-04-2009, 05:16 AM

I would love to hear a metal version of "Pink Elephants on Parade."

zgodt
12-04-2009, 05:26 AM
I don't want to come off like a presumptious ass, but I'm going to assume you are not a musician? Not necessarily that you don't play, but not actively enough to consider yourself an active musician. The reason behind this is that for the average person who actively persues music, they have grown on their instrument and gained experience by playing songs they love by the bands they love that inspire them to play the music they create. For example, even though it's my priority to make my own music, I get a huge rush out of playing songs I love - Maiden songs, or whatever. It stands to reason that if you get a bunch of people together with similar music tastes, there's enough desire to play a song you love just for fun, even if you're not "adding to it" or whatever. It's just fun, and hey, it does make perfect fluff for bonus tracks.

Sorry man -- I really was talking about covers that bands release for general consumption. I understand the pleasures of playing songs that you love. One band I was in had a standing gig on Saturday nights. We would practice once a week, on Saturday afternoons, and each week we'd learn and play a couple of new covers. Motorhead, Circle Jerks, Spinal Tap, CCR, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du... We had a blast, and so did the crowd. So I get that.

But like... all this love in the thread for Machine Head's version of HBTN... I haven't even heard it, but I can't imagine it's more than an accomplished facsimile. That's the sort of thing I really can't fathom. Outside of a live show, why would anyone care?

powerslave_85
12-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Uncle Tupelo - Coalminers; Moonshiner; Atomic Power (old Americana songs put into new context on their 3rd album; "Atomic Power" is especially creepy, with happy fiddles as the singer calls for fire to rain on high and take us all to our savior in the air)All three of these are great, especially "Atomic Power." In the same vein, Chuck Ragan does an awesome cover of "Wreck of the Old '97."

jhdeity
12-07-2009, 05:45 AM
So not much love for Maiden's cover of Cross-Eyed Mary? I think that's one of Dickinson's most powerful vocals and his bellow at the end is almost legendary for me. I know it was hard to find. I have the Piece of Mind Picture Disk which had it as a bonus track. It took 15+ years to finally get it on cd. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend checking it out.

DethMaiden
12-07-2009, 06:08 AM
So not much love for Maiden's cover of Cross-Eyed Mary? I think that's one of Dickinson's most powerful vocals and his bellow at the end is almost legendary for me. I know it was hard to find. I have the Piece of Mind Picture Disk which had it as a bonus track. It took 15+ years to finally get it on cd. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend checking it out.

Enh. Gimme Overkill's "Hymn 43" for a great Tull cover. The Maiden cover is awkward for some reason, not a big fan.

Natrlhi
12-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Holy shitballz! Has anyone heard the Richard Cheese cd yet? His cover of People = Shit is classic!

I have it. His version of Enter Sandman made my list (post #26 to this thread). :D

jhdeity
12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Cool dealio. My buddy made me a copy of the cd and I haven't heard the whole thing. He lives in tampa and says his shows are always sold out. I have to see that guy live now. Everytime I'd see his name I'd laugh because of Dick Cheese but dude has some serious talent... and a great sense of humor

Natrlhi
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool dealio. My buddy made me a copy of the cd and I haven't heard the whole thing. He lives in tampa and says his shows are always sold out. I have to see that guy live now. Everytime I'd see his name I'd laugh because of Dick Cheese but dude has some serious talent... and a great sense of humor

Agreed. He's actually got a bunch of CD's out - he's been around since 2000 or so.

P.S. - Remember the lounge version of Disturbed's "Down with the Sickeness" at the end of "Dawn of the Dead"? That's ol' Dick right there. :D

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
P.S. - Remember the lounge version of Disturbed's "Down with the Sickeness" at the end of "Dawn of the Dead"? That's ol' Dick right there. :D

That was the first time I heard him, and what made me start listening to him. Shit's awesome.

ChildrenofSodom
12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Richard Cheese - Chop Suey

hilarious.

Sanitarium78
12-07-2009, 03:48 PM

I heard that cover a few months ago and it is classic. It's also funny as fuck to hear how normal he does the song unlike the original.

No one has mentioned Bruce Dickinson's cover of "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" from the first Nativity In Black album. I've always liked that one a lot. Megadeth's cover of Sabbath's "Never Say Die!" is awesome as well.

b_halperin
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
escape - gojira (metallica)

xStructualDefect
12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
i can't think of a lot but here's what i thought of

In Flames - Strong and Smart
KsE - Holy Diver
Orgy - Blue Monday
Ensiferum - Battery
Suicide Silence - Engine No 9
Sentenced - The Trooper

jhdeity
12-14-2009, 04:44 AM
I found a copy of that Entombed 2 cd set of covers. While some don't work at all others are really cool.

Nat mentioned the King Crimson cover and I really like their version of March of the SOD & Sergeant D. Under the Sun is good musically but the vocals just don't fit. Great song though...

El Gordo
06-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes, this shit is getting necro'd. I was going to start a new thread but found this one instead. Here are my top ten favourite covers:

1. Metallica - The Prince (Diamond Head): One of my favourite Metallica songs ever, and that's saying a lot considering I believe their original material to be some of the best thrash metal ever made. This version absolutely destroys the original. James voice has never sounded better or more vicious. My only complaint is that it suffers from the same production deficiencies as the ...And Justice For All album does.

2. Sepultura - Symptom of the Universe (Black Sabbath): The original is fucking great but this is the way the song was meant to sound. Solidifies my opinion that this was the first thrash song ever written and every time I listen to it I can't help but headbang and wish for long hair again. Probably a good thing they cut the outro short, I don't think Max could have done it justice, lol.

3. The Headstones - Tweeter & the Monkey Man (The Traveling Wilburys): You may not know the original, but it's a great song. You may not know this cover, but it's totally badass. The Headstones are a beloved Canadian band and they add distortion and aggression while still keeping the mood of the original. It really says something about a cover (and the original) when it's the band's best-known song.

4. Barenaked Ladies - Lovers in a Dangerous Time (Bruce Cockburn): More Canadiana for you. This cover benefits from the fact that the original is fucking brilliant. The Ladies strip away the 80's pop aspects of the original and show it for what it is; a haunting, sometimes sad and beautiful piece of music. This was recorded long before the band became a horrible mainstream radio favourite, and shows that they were actually a great band at one point. I couldn't find the album version on Youtube but the live ones are a pretty close reproduction.

5. Overkill - Overkill (Motorhead): Ah, the song from which the band took their name. A great song to begin with, Blitz and the boys up the aggression and attitude, making this song an absolute beast. My favourite part of the cover is the thrashifying of the guitar riff after "get it back to you" -- a small detail, but important for a thrash fan.

6. Heathen - Kill the King (Rainbow): Another thrash-up... David White can hardly match Dio, but he does an admirable job. The real beauty is in the instrumentation... the guitars smoke, the drums are furious and the bass -- well who the fuck cares about the bass in thrash? Sorry DD.

7. Type O Negative - Hey Joe/Hey Pete (The Leaves): This should probably say (Jimi Hendrix) since it's clear that it's his version Type O are covering, but whatever. I love how they've changed the lyrics and the song totally fits Type O's theme of misogyny and self-loathing. "Where you going with that axe in your hand?", "Caught her whoring around with every guy in town," awesome.

8. Vader - Fight Fire With Fire (Metallica): Metallica rarely gets any credit for influencing the death metal genre, but really wasn't this song one of the first of its kind? This cover doesn't touch the original but my favourite death metal band does a nice job here, modernizing it and really making it their own.

9. System of a Down - Snowblind (Black Sabbath): I've hated System since their second album came out and I saw them live but this is a great cover. One of my main criteria for a great cover is that the band make the song their own and System certainly do that here. The "don't you think I know what I'm doing" part totally kills.

10. Slayer - Mr. Freeze (Dr. Know): You may scoff, but I loved this cover the instant the first riff started. A great update on a hardcore classic. The best part is that Kerry and Jeff's shitty solos don't sound out of place here at all!

mankvill
06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Weedeater - Gimme Back My Bullets (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrmIkdO4s0o)

Devo - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75BUYdZq-g)

I can't even listen to the original Rolling Stones song anymore.

larvtard
06-05-2011, 02:57 PM
8. Vader - Fight Fire With Fire (Metallica): Metallica rarely gets any credit for influencing the death metal genre, but really wasn't this song one of the first of its kind? This cover doesn't touch the original but my favourite death metal band does a nice job here, modernizing it and really making it their own.

Great cover.

As for myself, I'm quite partial to Krisiun's cover of "Silent Scream."

El Gordo
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Great cover.

As for myself, I'm quite partial to Krisiun's cover of "Silent Scream."

Hmm... that's a pretty good cover but I think Vader's version shits all over that one.

ShatteredFlame
06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Rosetta - Homesick (The Cure): Well there are A LOT of The Cure covers, even in metal. The Cure is actually one of my favorite bands and this song is on one of my favorite albums of all time. But even so, I prefer this Rosetta cover so much more. They cut the length down of the original and get to the vocals way quicker than the original, it actually makes me skip the first couple of minutes of the original now because it gets repetitive. The vocals on the cover are amazing, a combination of both clean and heavy sludge screams. The original is slow and depressing, Rosetta made it a lot heavier yet kept a sort of mellow tone throughout and it all sounds incredible and way better than the original.

There are a lot more I know but that one comes to mind first.

larvtard
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Hmm... that's a pretty good cover but I think Vader's version shits all over that one.

I don't really like Vader's vocals.

bt11763
06-05-2011, 03:39 PM
7. Type O Negative - Hey Joe/Hey Pete (The Leaves): This should probably say (Jimi Hendrix) since it's clear that it's his version Type O are covering, but whatever. I love how they've changed the lyrics and the song totally fits Type O's theme of misogyny and self-loathing. "Where you going with that axe in your hand?", "Caught her whoring around with every guy in town," awesome.

fucking this

El Gordo
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't really like Vader's vocals.

Well to each his own.

elturtleboy
06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Devo - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75BUYdZq-g)

I can't even listen to the original Rolling Stones song anymore.

me neither. Everytime i sing it out loud i sing it their way and ppl tell me im singing it wrong.

The Accused-Sick Boy(GBH)
Agoraphobic Nosebleed-Hang The Pope(Nuclear Assault)
Anal Cunt-The Great Southern Trend Kill(Pantera)
Anal Cunt-Killing Yourself To Live(The Smiths)
Anal Cunt-Staying Alive(BeeGees)
Anal Cunt-Im Still Standing(Elton John)
Andrew WK-Mickey Mouse Club(theme)
The Aquabats(Knowledge)
Austrian Death Machine-Gotta Go(Agnostic Front)
Balzac-Ace Of Spades(Motorhead)
Big D & the Kids Table-Little Bitch(The Specials)
Black President-I Wanna Be Elected(Alice Cooper)
Brutal Truth-Media Blitz(The Germs):rocker:
Caninus-Victim In Pain(Agnostic Front)
The Casaulties-Underground Army(Threats)
Ceremony-Pressures On(Red C)
Charles Bronson-IQ32(Necros)
Crooked Coathanger-Sick Of OJ(MJ)(Charles Bronson)
The Damned-Ballroom Blitz(Sweet)
Danzig(Caught In My Eye(The Germs)
Das Oath-We Are The Champions(Queen)
Dead Kennedys-Viva Las Vegas(Elvis)
Death-God Of Thunder(Kiss)
Despise You-Burning In Hell(Possesed)
Destruction-Killers(Iron Maiden)
The Dickies-Banana Splits(Theme)
The Dicks-YMCA(Village People)
Dropkick Murphys-Guns Of Brixton(The Clash)
The Ejected-Generation Landslide(Alice Cooper)
Evildead-Rise Above(Black Flag)
Excrementory Grindfuckers-Cotten Eye Joe(Rednex)
Exodus-Low Rider(War)
F-Minus-Trouble At The Cup(Black Randy)
GG Allin-Scumfuc Tradition(Hank Williams Jr)
Gallows-Staring At The Rudeboys(The Ruts)
The Germs-Sugar Sugar(Archie)
Goldfinger-99 Red Balloons(Nena)
Green Day-I wanna Be On TV(FANG)
Green Jelly/Hulk Hogan-Im The Leader(Gary Glitter)
Guns N' Roses-I Dont cAre About You(FEAR)
GWAR-Schools Out(Alice Cooper)
Hatebreed-Suicidal Maniac(Suicidal Tendencies)
Infectious Grooves-Immigrant Song(Led Zeppelin)
Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards-To Have and To Have Not(Billy Bragg)
Locust-Practice Hatred(Crossed Out)
Mayhem-Witching Hour(Venom)

meh ill post later

Indestructible
06-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Metallica- Am I evil(Diamond Head)

Metallica - The Small Hours(Holocaust)

Metallica - Turn the page(Bob Seger)

Metallica - Mercyful Fate( Mercyful Fate)

Iron Maiden - Cross Eyed Mary(Jethro Tull)

Disturbed - Midlife Crisis(Faith No More)

Shadows Fall- Welcome To The Machine(Pink Floyd)

Nevermore - The Sound Of Silence( Simon & Garfunkel)

Type O Negative - Summer Breeze(Seals and Crofts)

Type O Negative - Day Tripper/If I Needed Someone/I want you She's So Heavy(The Beatles)

Type O Negative - Hey Pete(Jimi Hendrix)

Warrel Dane - Lucretia My Reflection(Sisters Of Mercy)

MPF
06-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Disturbed - Midlife Crisis(Faith No More)

:confused::confused::confused:

Why don't you take a seat right over here...

jhdeity
06-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes, this shit is getting necro'd. I was going to start a new thread but found this one instead. Here are my top ten favourite covers:

2. Sepultura - Symptom of the Universe (Black Sabbath): The original is fucking great but this is the way the song was meant to sound. Solidifies my opinion that this was the first thrash song ever written and every time I listen to it I can't help but headbang and wish for long hair again. Probably a good thing they cut the outro short, I don't think Max could have done it justice, lol.

When my buddy told me their band was doing this version of the song I wasn't sure I'd even heard it. Glad to see this verison getting it's proper due. Amazing!

Wizzbang11
06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oFlXnnwKI
Just got around listening to this for the first time even though I've known about it since the release, because Ghost are awesome and The Beatles are quite far from awesome, and I did not want to cheapen Ghost.
Luckily it fucking rules. Goddamn.

jhdeity
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Just got around listening to this for the first time even though I've known about it since the release, because Ghost are awesome and The Beatles are quite far from awesome, and I did not want to cheapen Ghost.

I definitely didn't expect that. Great vocal. Ironically my new favorite cover is also a Beatles song. I can't get enough of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27e073tc6mA

Natrlhi
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM

I definitely didn't expect that. Great vocal.Indeed. That was actually fucking tits, and I'm not really into Ghost all that much.

Ironically my new favorite cover is also a Beatles song. I can't get enough of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27e073tc6mAThat was actually pretty good as well, and I'm definitely even less of a SpineShank fan than a Ghost fan. Still, the Ghost one was a bit better in that they took a completely happy-go-lucky original and made it sound really creepy and mysterious. Well done. Maybe I need to listen to Ghost some more... :eyes:

jhdeity
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Indeed. That was actually fucking tits, and I'm not really into Ghost all that much.

That was actually pretty good as well, and I'm definitely even less of a SpineShank fan than a Ghost fan. Still, the Ghost one was a bit better in that they took a completely happy-go-lucky original and made it sound really creepy and mysterious. Well done. Maybe I need to listen to Ghost some more... :eyes:

I'd have to agree totally. I wrote Ghost off after 1 listen and that cover definitely bought them another shot. I actually pulled this thread back up just to hear it again.

The Colonel
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
The Arson Project - Corrosion(Nasum)
Avail - You May Be Right(Billy Joel)
Brutal Truth - Cybergod(Nausea)
Brutal Truth - Sister Fucker(Eyehategod)
Creative Waste - Can De Lach(Nasum)
Death - Painkiller(Judas Priest)
Exhumed - Exhume To Consume(Carcass)
Exhumed - The Power Remains(Amebix)
General Surgery - Empathological Necroticism(Carcass)
Haemorrhage - Deformed(Grave)
Impaled - The Hearse(Deadbolt)
Impaled - Helga Lost Her Head(Repulsion)
Impaled - I Work For The Street Cleaner(Impetigo)
Lord Gore - Breakfast At The Manchester Morgue(Impetigo)
Mastodon - Emerald(Thin Lizzy)
Napalm Death - Victims Of A Bomb Raid(Anti-Cimex)
Nasum - Rio De San Atlanta, Manitoba(Propagandhi)
Nasum - The Real(Refused)
Pg. 99 - The List(Filth)
Pig Destroyer - Oven(The Melvins)
Rorschach - My War(Black Flag)

Natrlhi
06-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Tool - No Quarter
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Cake - I Will SurviveLove these. I probably already said that before, but oh well. My real reason for posting was that "No Quarter" reminded me of this:

Black Dog
There Is Nothing New Under the Sun
Coalesce

...an entire disc of Led Zeppelin covers, some of them quite interesting, but this is my favorite. It actually sounds like something Coalesce might write.

Sheryl Crow did a killer version of "D'yer Maker" for the Encomium album years ago, too.

Speaking of covers that probably haven't been mentioned in this thread, check these out:

Pig Destroyer - Genital Grinder & Regurgitation of Giblets (Carcass)
Pig Destroyer - Exhume to Consume (Carcass) :bowdown:

...all are from the 2002 Isis / Pig Destroyer split which maybe one or two folks on here even knew existed (besides me :cool:).

EDIT: Sorry, I mentioned several of these already (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=239629&postcount=26). Grinder / Giblets hasn't been mentioned, though, and neither has Sheryl Crow. :D

powerslave_85
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Eh, I'm in the extreme minority that isn't head over heels in love with Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." I mean, it's good, but I don't think it would have attained the "mythical" status it has if he hadn't died soon after. I still like the NIN original better.

Natrlhi
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Eh, I'm in the extreme minority that isn't head over heels in love with Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." I mean, it's good, but I don't think it would have attained the "mythical" status it has if he hadn't died soon after. I still like the NIN original better.I can't speak for other folks, but I was in love with it before he died.

jhdeity
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Love these. I probably already said that before, but oh well. My real reason for posting was that "No Quarter" reminded me of this:

Black Dog
There Is Nothing New Under the Sun
Coalesce

...an entire disc of Led Zeppelin covers, some of them quite interesting, but this is my favorite. It actually sounds like something Coalesce might write.

Sheryl Crow did a killer version of "D'yer Maker" for the Encomium album years ago, too.

Speaking of covers that probably haven't been mentioned in this thread, check these out:

Pig Destroyer - Genital Grinder & Regurgitation of Giblets (Carcass)
Pig Destroyer - Exhume to Consume (Carcass) :bowdown:

...all are from the 2002 Isis / Pig Destroyer split which maybe one or two folks on here even knew existed (besides me :cool:).

EDIT: Sorry, I mentioned several of these already (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=239629&postcount=26). Grinder / Giblets hasn't been mentioned, though, and neither has Sheryl Crow. :D

Glad you mentioned this again. How do you get hold of the Isis version of Streetcleaner? I really want to check that out.

I picked up a 2-cd Godflesh Tribute used and too much of it is techno-sounding stuff. There is a cover of Like Rats by a band called Weeping Birth that literally sounds like the soundtrack of the descent into hell to me. Love that version.

Natrlhi
06-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Glad you mentioned this again. How do you get hold of the Isis version of Streetcleaner? I really want to check that out.Like I said, it's on the Isis / Pig Destroyer split. I don't actually own a physical copy. I suspect they're tough as balls to find. Somehow I got my hands on a torrent a few years ago that had all of Pig Destroyer's splits, demos and other rarities in it - in other words, a truly complete discography.

I do own the "38 Counts of Battery" album, though, and that also has the two Carcass covers on it, but not the Isis / Godflesh track (obviously).

jhdeity
06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Like I said, it's on the Isis / Pig Destroyer split. I don't actually own a physical copy. I suspect they're tough as balls to find. Somehow I got my hands on a torrent a few years ago that had all of Pig Destroyer's splits, demos and other rarities in it - in other words, a truly complete discography.

I do own the "38 Counts of Battery" album, though, and that also has the two Carcass covers on it, but not the Isis / Godflesh track (obviously).

Cool at least I have another avenue to try. That an interesting split... Thanks dude.

jhdeity
06-10-2011, 09:59 AM
This is a band I stumbled upon a few months back and really like. Haven't heard much hate or even postive stuff about them for that matter. Great musicians who while being -core just seem to get it.

I didn't get this cover the 1st time I heard it but my buddy wouldn't stop talking about the pure genius behind it so I gave it another listen. It's definitely a love it or hate it thing but I'm now leaning towards loving it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tU8SL4p3s

Natrlhi
06-10-2011, 10:57 AM
This is a band I stumbled upon a few months back and really like. Haven't heard much hate or even postive stuff about them for that matter. Great musicians who while being -core just seem to get it.

I didn't get this cover the 1st time I heard it but my buddy wouldn't stop talking about the pure genius behind it so I gave it another listen. It's definitely a love it or hate it thing but I'm now leaning towards loving it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tU8SL4p3sHuh. No shit. Fucking Kansas. An interesting choice, to be sure, but my first impression is that musically, they have fucked up this song pretty bad. By this I don't mean that they are or aren't good musicians, but simply that the song kinda sounds shitty when filtered through this band's musical style. I mean, almost all of the melody of the original is gone because of the downtuning. That main riff before the chorus seems to have survived all right, though. There's no way you're killing that bitch. :D

EDIT: I like their cover of "Fight Fire with Fire" better (although a shitload of bands have covered that song).

illuminatus917
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Eh, I'm in the extreme minority that isn't head over heels in love with Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." I mean, it's good, but I don't think it would have attained the "mythical" status it has if he hadn't died soon after. I still like the NIN original better.

Most people I've talked to don't even know there's a NIN song called "Hurt." Never mind Cash's version was actually a cover. And an inferior song to NIN'.

jhdeity
06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Huh. No shit. Fucking Kansas. An interesting choice, to be sure, but my first impression is that musically, they have fucked up this song pretty bad. By this I don't mean that they are or aren't good musicians, but simply that the song kinda sounds shitty when filtered through this band's musical style. I mean, almost all of the melody of the original is gone because of the downtuning. That main riff before the chorus seems to have survived all right, though. There's no way you're killing that bitch. :D

EDIT: I like their cover of "Fight Fire with Fire" better (although a shitload of bands have covered that song).

I totally thought the same thing when I heard the EP and totally agree with your assessment. I just kinda like the drum fills and instrumental parts after a few listens. I liked FFwF the 1st time I heard it and it's very true to the original but for some reason I'm gravitating towards the weird Kansas one. It's definitely a trainwreck but I kinda like trainwrecks. hahaha

El Gordo
06-11-2011, 03:18 AM
I totally thought the same thing when I heard the EP and totally agree with your assessment. I just kinda like the drum fills and instrumental parts after a few listens. I liked FFwF the 1st time I heard it and it's very true to the original but for some reason I'm gravitating towards the weird Kansas one. It's definitely a trainwreck but I kinda like trainwrecks. hahaha

I like that Kansas cover, and I don't usually like harsh vocal covers of non-metal songs. There's just something about that cover though -- I kept wondering what they were going to do to that song next! The Metallica cover is good as well but definitely not as 'different' as the Kansas one. :lol:

jhdeity
06-13-2011, 05:58 AM
I like that Kansas cover, and I don't usually like harsh vocal covers of non-metal songs. There's just something about that cover though -- I kept wondering what they were going to do to that song next! The Metallica cover is good as well but definitely not as 'different' as the Kansas one. :lol:

Yeah that's what makes it so cool. Everything about it tells me I should hate it but I don't. My brother is older and a huge Kansas fan and even he likes it other than the vocals. The drumming makes it I think.

brutal_descent
06-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Checked out that Disturbed cover of 'Midlife Crisis'.

First Disturbed song I like. ;)

Shadowswillfall414
06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Triviums cover of master of puppets kicked ass

mankvill
06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I really like this one

Rage Against The Machine - In My Eyes (Minor Threat cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCvrRCVHgoI)

Sepultura69
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I AM THE ONE?!?!!? ORGASMATRawwwwwwwwwwn!?!?! - Sepultura

Razor_Shark
06-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Most people don't know this, but Jimi Hendrix wasn't the first person to perform Hey Joe, so I will place that as number one here. Honorable mention to Between The Buried And Me doing Bicycle Race.

GarageMetal468
06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Blind Guardian - Spread Your Wings

jhdeity
06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Blind Guardian - Spread Your Wings

good call. Took me a few years to like the original. I might like this better actually. great drumming

jhdeity
06-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Say what you want about Axl Rose and GnR but they might have been one of the best cover bands to ever record covers. Example D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad02BxhDwLM

brutal_descent
06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Richard Cheese's cover of War Ensemble is pretty fetch. ;)