PDA

View Full Version : Decibel's Top Albums of 2009

DethMaiden
11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Haven't read it yet because I won't have the magazine until I go home, I just lurked their forums for spoilers. But here you go; let the bitching commence:

1. Baroness-Blue Record
2. Converge-Axe To Fall
3. Coalesce- Ox
4. Napalm Death-Time Waits No Slave
5. Cobalt-Gin
6. Kylesa-Static Tensions
7. Slayer-World Painted Blood
8. Tombs-Winter Hours
9. Marduk-Wormwood
10. Isis-Wavering Radiant
11. Immortal-All Shall Fall
12. Agoraphobic Nosebleed-Agorapocalypse
13. Obscura-Cosmogenesis
14. Magrudergrind-S/T
15. Nile-Those Whom The Gods Detest
16. YOB- The Great Cessation
17. Mastodon-Crack The Skye
18. Paradise Lost-Faith Divides Us,Death Unites Us
19. The Atlas Moth-A Glorified Piece Of Blue Sky
20. Asphyx-Death...The Brutal Way
21. Altar Of Plauges-White Tomb
22. Mournful Congregation-The June Frost
23. Funeral Mist-Maranatha
24. The Gates Of Slumber-Hymns Of Blood And Thunder
25. Burnt By The Sun-Heart Of Darkness
26. City Of Ships-Look What God Did To Us
27. Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
28. Gaza-He Is Never Coming Back
29. Katatonia-Night Is The New Day
30. Keelhaul-Keelhaul's Triumphannt Return To Obscurity
31. The Red Chord-Fed Through The Teeth Machine
32. Brutal Truth-Evolution Through Revolution
33. Krallice-Dimensional Bleedthrough
34. Culted-Below The Thunders Of The Upper Deep
35. Goes Cube-Another Day Has Passed
36. Suffocation-Blood Oath
37. Javelina-Beasts Among Sheep
38. Municipal Waste-Massive Aggressive
39. Millions-Gather Scatter
40. Funebrarum-The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams

Top Five That Didn't Make The Cut:
41. Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue
42. Portal-Swarth
43. Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire
44. Pelican- What We All Come To Need
45. Irritate-Ten Stabs Of Demented Violence

...meh. Cobalt in the top five is awesome, but aside from that, only two of mine are in their top 45 (Nile and Mastodon), and they have some boring-ass (or just plain shitty) records on here. Slayer? Suffocation? Really? And the lack of BTBAM, Shrinebuilder, and WITTR are the biggest head-scratchers for me knowing what they usually dig. Disappointing list but props to Cobalt. Can't wait to read their article on it, and to destroy it with my article (interviewing Phillip McSorley tomorrow! Very excite!)

Thoughts?

idrinkwine732
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't call the Suffocation shitty, but the new Slayer really was a let down. And I agree, the lack of BTBAM on there is mindblowing. I really really disagree with this list.

mastodon421
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Not a bad list but not great either. The inclusion of Brutal Truth and How high up Slayer is somewhat puzzling and there are quite a few albums that I loved that arent on there at all. Clearly its just a matter of opinion Overall an above average list.

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM
They got the number one right!

(Well, maybe...I haven't finalized my list yet, but Blue Record will be way up there, to be sure.)

I also like the high placements of Coalesce (phenomenal comeback album for them this year), Kylesa (best album of their career so far), Isis (yet another very solid release), and Cobalt, of course.

Converge was pretty good, but maybe not that good. Mastodon could have been bumped up a little. Pelican not quite making the cut is a bit puzzling to me - their latest is possibly one of their best. Skeletonwitch - same story.

Overall, not a bad list, though. I haven't fully listened to WITTR yet, BTBAM's was OK (possibly not my cup of tea, exactly), and Shrinebuilder was pretty good and probably could have bumped one of the more lame records off there (such as Brutal Truth, as someone else had said).

EDIT: The new Asphyx is pretty sweet, too.

ADD
11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Didn't they give Cobalt a 7 or something in the original review? Wouldn't surprise me that the "official opinion" changed once they saw how popular (relatively) it became in metal circles. I think I'll like our own year end top 10 more than this one.

DethMaiden
11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Didn't they give Cobalt a 7 or something in the original review? Wouldn't surprise me that the "official opinion" changed once they saw how popular (relatively) it became in metal circles. I think I'll like our own year end top 10 more than this one.

One person writes a review, the entire staff votes on the list. This shit happens year in and year out.

ADD
11-20-2009, 02:25 PM
One person writes a review, the entire staff votes on the list. This shit happens year in and year out.
Word

SomewhereInTime72
11-20-2009, 03:11 PM
2009 isn't over. :dorky:

Div
11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
wheres megadeth??

and why the fuck is converge number 2?

mankvill
11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Lawrence in the motherfucking house!

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Lawrence in the motherfucking house!

You say that, but the new Coalesce isn't even on your list, ya traitor!

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
...and wait a minute. I take back everything I said before about this list. It contains absolutely no Russian Circles, so it is fail.

FAIL.

DethMaiden
11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
...and wait a minute. I take back everything I said before about this list. It contains absolutely no Russian Circles, so it is fail.

FAIL.

Decibel really doesn't like Russian Circles. Their editorial position (roughly) is that instrumental music should not demand vocals, and Russian Circles does just that.

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Decibel really doesn't like Russian Circles. Their editorial position (roughly) is that instrumental music should not demand vocals, and Russian Circles does just that.

I'm having a hard time understanding that statement. Instrumental music "demanding" vocals? Come again? :confused:

powerslave_85
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm having an increasingly difficult time arguing that the Blue Record isn't the best metal album of the year.

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm having an increasingly difficult time arguing that the Blue Record isn't the best metal album of the year.

Don't argue it - it's true.

EDIT: :D

DethMaiden
11-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding that statement. Instrumental music "demanding" vocals? Come again? :confused:

They think instrumental music should not need vocals to sound complete, but think that Russian Circles play instrumental songs that would be greatly improved by the presence of vocals, and that their structure would make vocals a logical fit. Y'know, demand 'em. Their words not mine. And this was circa Station which they gave a 5/10, but I have a hard time believing they liked Geneva any better, since it was definitely worse.

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 09:27 PM
They think instrumental music should not need vocals to sound complete, but think that Russian Circles play instrumental songs that would be greatly improved by the presence of vocals, and that their structure would make vocals a logical fit. Y'know, demand 'em. Their words not mine. And this was circa Station which they gave a 5/10, but I have a hard time believing they liked Geneva any better, since it was definitely worse.

Well that just makes no sense at all. I know you're just the messenger, so let's throw that out there right now - but it seems they missed the boat completely on exactly what makes RC so powerful in the first place. It's quite possibly the most powerful instrumental music ever - and coming from a trio to boot. It is amazing that they create that much mass and density - and pure emotion - with a guitar, bass and drums - and no vocals at all. THAT'S THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT!!!

Ugh, that disgusts me. I mean, I know Decibel isn't perfect, but they tend to get a lot of things right (or close enough). But they really failed on that one. What an absurd explanation.

Between Mankvill's dismissal of three of the best bands in metal right now, and Decibel's dismissal of another, I feel like I just got stabbed in the heart. I need to go soak my head or something. :bouville:

TonyD
11-21-2009, 12:29 AM
World Painted Blood > Crack The Skye
:eyes:

mankvill
11-21-2009, 12:49 AM
where is anaal nathrakh

idrinkwine732
11-21-2009, 01:28 AM
World Painted Blood > Crack The Skye
:eyes:

There is no hope for you...

Spiral_Slave
11-21-2009, 09:17 AM
This list absolutely sucks IMO, but it's about what I would have expected.

JuuKun
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
45 of the year's best, missing God Dethroned, Hypocrisy, and General Surgery? Fucking fail. Atleast they have Nile in there.

Spiral_Slave
11-21-2009, 02:18 PM
45 of the year's best, missing God Dethroned, Hypocrisy, and General Surgery? Fucking fail. Atleast they have Nile in there.

Yeah the absence of Hypocrisy makes this list a fail by default.

JRA
11-21-2009, 05:18 PM
this list is another reason why I'm annoyed that I picked up Red Album first instead of Blue Record.

Fratt
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Behemoth' Evangelion anyone ? It's easily the best 2009 Metal album IMO.

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM

:fist:

Natrlhi
11-22-2009, 07:12 PM

No. It's good, but it's definitely not the best album of 2009.

JuuKun
11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
No. It's good, but it's definitely not the best album of 2009.

Yeah. It's a really good album IMO, and if it was a different year, who knows - but Nile, Hypocrisy, God Dethroned (among others) all put out PHENOMENAL releases this year. This was a really good year for extreme metal, IMO.

Natrlhi
11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
This was a really good year for extreme metal, IMO.
Pssshhh. Metal in general, you mean:

Post-Metal: Russian Circles, Isis, Giant Squid, Pelican, Minsk
Post-Rock: Gifts from Enola, If These Trees Could Talk, Caspian, Mono
Stoner / Sludge Metal: Baroness, Kylesa, Clutch, Red Fang
Black Metal: Cobalt, Anaal Nathrakh, Immortal
Death Metal: Vader, Behemoth, Nile, Gorod, Dying Fetus, Asphyx, Pestilence, Cannibal Corpse, Obscura
Thrash: Slayer, Skeletonwitch, Warbringer
Hardcore: Propagandhi, Municipal Waste, The Accused
Grindcore: Napalm Death, Mumakil, Brutal Truth
Metalcore: Coalesce, Converge, Darkest Hour
Prog Metal: Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Cormorant
Eclectic / Avant Metal: Diablo Swing Orchestra, Voivod, Keelhaul, The Mars Volta

Wizzbang11
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Why the fuck does Cattle keep not getting any mention?
That album is better than Blood Oath, Evisceration Plague, Massive Agressive etc.

mankvill
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Why the fuck does Cattle keep not getting any mention?
That album is better than Blood Oath, Evisceration Plague, Massive Agressive etc.

For srs. The Harvest Floor was/is fucking amazing. Maybe because it was released WAY early in the year that people forget it?

JuuKun
11-23-2009, 03:06 AM

Death Metal: Vader, Behemoth, Nile, Gorod, Dying Fetus, Asphyx, Pestilence, Cannibal Corpse, Obscura
Eclectic / Avant Metal: Diablo Swing Orchestra, Voivod, Keelhaul, The Mars Volta

DSO is the only album that you have on there that I've heard this year that I wouldn't classify under extreme metal (though I haven't heard everything on there). Good album, though.

I mainly specified because I can't think of too many good Power Metal releases I heard this year.

Natrlhi
11-23-2009, 09:21 AM
DSO is the only album that you have on there that I've heard this year that I wouldn't classify under extreme metal (though I haven't heard everything on there). Good album, though.

I mainly specified because I can't think of too many good Power Metal releases I heard this year.

It's funny you say that, because there are actually PARTS of the new Diablo that are certainly more "extreme" than anything by, say, Clutch or Pelican or something more straightforward like that. At any rate, my main point wasn't so much to split hairs about genres as it was to illustrate that I think we metalheads have been blessed beyond belief this year with just shit tons of good stuff coming in from every direction (except maybe power metal - you're right about that one!).

Plus, if you love multiple genres as I do, there is even more to get excited about. This has been one of the best metal years for me ever.

:party::dance::rocker:

ravenheart
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Off the top of my head this is missing Suicidal Angels, Evile, Nervecell, Isole, Memory Driven, Obituary, Construcdead, Fu Manchu, The 11th Hour, Count Raven, Huron, Savage Messiah, Whiplash, Foresaken, Candlemass, Semlah, Havok and Defiance.

However, this mag has the balls to put some of those records in their top albums list instead of just saying "Slayer, Megadeth, Mastodon, the rest", so still a thumbs up from me.

Never really looked at this mag before... they really need to sort the cover out (so cliche), and their top 100 of the decade looks like it's going to immediately fail by including Queens of The Stone Age... but that 'Precious Metal' book looks pretty sweet. Anyone got it?

DethMaiden
11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Off the top of my head this is missing Suicidal Angels, Evile, Nervecell, Isole, Memory Driven, Obituary, Construcdead, Fu Manchu, The 11th Hour, Count Raven, Huron, Savage Messiah, Whiplash, Foresaken, Candlemass, Semlah, Havok and Defiance.

However, this mag has the balls to put some of those records in their top albums list instead of just saying "Slayer, Megadeth, Mastodon, the rest", so still a thumbs up from me.

Never really looked at this mag before... they really need to sort the cover out (so cliche), and their top 100 of the decade looks like it's going to immediately fail by including Queens of The Stone Age... but that 'Precious Metal' book looks pretty sweet. Anyone got it?

I've read all of the features in it save one (they're all republished from the mag) and they're typically the highlight of a given issue. Basically each Hall of Fame entry is an oral history with interviews from all parties involved that really gets at the meat of what an album is all about, both individually and for metal in general. Good stuff, if you've not read the features then certainly get the book, it's a good compilation.

jhdeity
11-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Dayum! Nice job categorizing. I've heard at least something off of 80% of these so I'm finally catching up. I'd definitely have Municipal Waste as Thrash though. Hatebreed and Sworn Enemy are Hardcore to me. I'm glad to see better vocals throughout these lists. With so much great music out there it's time to become more of a vocal snob again. Goatwhore jumped way up my charts because of the better vocals/vocal production. What a masterpiece!

mankvill
11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
DSO

Always and forever will mean Deathspell Omega to me.

KvltOvPersonality
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't call the Suffocation shitty, but the new Slayer really was a let down. And I agree, the lack of BTBAM on there is mindblowing. I really really disagree with this list.

WPB should not be on that list, period.

Natrlhi
11-23-2009, 03:01 PM
WPB haters should not be on this board, period.
Fixed. :D

idrinkwine732
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
WPB was not good enough to warrant a spot in the top 45.

Natrlhi
11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
WPB was not good enough to warrant a spot in the top 45.
Well, I was really just giving the n00b a hard time for hating on a CD that a lot of people on here liked (and some didn't). WPB may not be a stellar album by any means, but I think it's probably good enough to be somewhere on the list. I mean, come on - it's Slayer and it's not half bad Slayer at that. :snivel:

Maiden33
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
lord - Set in Stone
Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death

... and that's about it as far as great power metal releases this year go. Even though I don't consider them a power metal band, the new Jaded Heart record has stuff far more power-y and also far more awesome than the bulk of what I've heard this year. Killing Touch - One of a Kind is a pretty sweet album too, kind of like a prog/power hybrid.

idrinkwine732
11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, I was really just giving the n00b a hard time for hating on a CD that a lot of people on here liked (and some didn't). WPB may not be a stellar album by any means, but I think it's probably good enough to be somewhere on the list. I mean, come on - it's Slayer and it's not half bad Slayer at that. :snivel: Yeah, I get that. Not my favorite Slayer release, but it isn't awful.

ravenheart
11-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
lord - Set in Stone
Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death

Stratovarius, Celesty, Burning Point, Grave Digger and Manimal?

jhdeity
11-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I never thought I'd see the day when Slayer was being ragged on a metal setlist page. If it wasn't for Slayer would we have ever had such an incredible 2009 in metal like we had. I seriously doubt it.

I think we all say things to get a reaction and I know when I'm right about something I'll fight to the death. I saw Fear Factory open for Blaze Bayley Maiden and absolutely blow them off the stage. Fear Factory had the crowd in a frenzy while Maiden was just going through the motions that night playing 80% shit no one wanted to hear. I took crap from my friends for making that statement but I know it was 100% true and stand by it to this day.

My point is I see people praising music that is meaningless or set metal back a few years during the time we needed them and people ragging on Slayer who stayed true through the tough times. I see people saying Megadeth stayed true while Metallica sold out and those people obviously never heard Risk. They both sold out for a period. I'm a huge "old" Saxon fan but when I see people rating their new cd so high with the worst song of the year "Live to Rock" on it I just scratch my head. Seriously, Kip Winger never wrote lyrics that cornball yet people bag on Slayer and Lamb of God and praise new Saxon?

I just don't get it... That being said I've purchased over 50 cd's this year and seen to stumble onto something great every day mostly due to better vocals I think. The new Converge is their best cd by a mile to me, same with Goatwhore & Skeletonwitch. All have better vocals than previous efforts and it makes a huge difference. I'm just not sure how they rate Converge so much higher than the other 2.

ravenheart
11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Hang on, where the fuck is Hordes of Chaos?

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Hang on, where the fuck is Hordes of Chaos?

I was just thinking this!

Slayer in the top 10, but no mention of Kreator at all? They should just rename themselves to Bad Taste in Thrash magazine.

powerslave_85
11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
The new Converge is their best cd by a mile to meOh man, totally disagree. Jane Doe is their masterwork, and always will be.

Natrlhi
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
So where are all you Converge fans when they are getting bashed to the bejeezus all over this board? I feel like I'm the only one who ever defends them on here (even though I do stipulate often that Converge is an admittedly acquired taste, and not for everyone).

I like Jane Doe tons, but the new one is pretty good as well. It won't make my top ten, and probably won't make my top twenty, but it was / is pretty good as far as Converge albums go. The production is pretty damn ecent, which is important for a band like them. The new COalesce is the same way - actually, the prodcution on that one is stellar, which is why it will probably rank higher on my list this year.

The Nat :horns:

powerslave_85
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I think Axe To Fall is probably the weakest since Jane Doe. It's still fucking amazing, but the quality of their output has been so good that I couldn't help but be a tiny bit disappointed.

mastodon421
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I will also defend Converge. Yes they are an acquired taste for sure but they are not this shittastic band like a lot of you seem to think. I truly believe they might have the biggest split opinion in all of metal.

In regards to Axe To Fall it's the best thing they have done since Jane Doe. It's got real solid riffs, nice production and normal Converge manic-ness. It has an outside chance of making my top 20. The best thing about Converge clearly is the fact that they are from Salem,Massachusetts (which is the city right next to mine!)

Rmeiselman
11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
The best thing about Converge clearly is the fact that they are from Salem,Massachusetts (which is the city right nezt to mine!)
Plus Salem is like the most brutal place ever due to the Witch Trials.

jhdeity
11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
As great of a cd that Jane Doe is musically, the vocals get to me after a while. An acquired taste indeed. Still a great cd but I'd rate the Axe to Fall higher because I can see me listening to it more often because of the better vocals. I also like the drumming better on ATF for some reason. That song Damages woudl sound incredible live I bet.

I hear ya Nat. It seems like people either love Converge or detest them. I've always liked them but after Jane Doe I kinda lost interest. This cd puts them right back up there for me.

Leviathan
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
where is anaal nathrakh

Agreed that was definitly an awesome record what a snub.

ravenheart
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, yeah, Converge are great. Whatever

But where. The fuck. Is Hordes of Chaos. Man.

Seriously, this list is total fail without it.

DethMaiden
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, yeah, Converge are great. Whatever

But where. The fuck. Is Hordes of Chaos. Man.

Seriously, this list is total fail without it.

Uhhhh no. It's probably the best "hey we played thrash in the 80s remember us?" album of the year but it doesn't belong on a top anything list.

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
It's probably the best thrash album of the year.

hey i took the unnecessary words out of your post for you

ravenheart
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
It's better than 80% of the albums on that list. At worst.

ravenheart
11-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Suicidal Angels' Sanctify The Darkness for me :finger:

mastodon421
11-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Megadeth's Endgame would like to have a word with you.

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Suicidal Angels' Sanctify The Darkness for me :finger:

I haven't heard this, but if it's actually better than Kreator, I think I'll have to check it out.
Megadeth's Endgame would like to have a word with you.
Well, both albums are great, and top 10 contenders for me. But I prefer Hordes of Chaos to Endgame by a fair amount. :cool:

mankvill
11-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I was about to quote Ravenheart and say something about Skeletonwitch, but then I remembered how lame he is. :finger:

ravenheart
11-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Skeletonwitch are here next week... they'll be at a festival I'm going to too... I plan to sleep.

Natrlhi
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't mean to re-open this can of worms again, but I was just listening to Russian Circles again for purposes of preparing for the show at the Grog Shop next week, and I have to say:

"Russian Circles calls for / demands vocals?!? What the fuck are you guys smoking, Decibel? That would actually ruin this awesome music!"

What a bunch of ignorant asses (at least when it comes to this particular band).

[/rant] :D

DethMaiden
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't mean to re-open this can of worms again, but I was just listening to Russian Circles again for purposes of preparing for the show at the Grog Shop next week, and I have to say:

"Russian Circles calls for / demands vocals?!? What the fuck are you guys smoking, Decibel? That would actually ruin this awesome music!"

What a bunch of ignorant asses (at least when it comes to this particular band).

[/rant] :D

Hey man, I love Decibel more than I probably rationally should but they piss me off at times too. Converge and Cave In got their #1 and 2 for the decade, and the list has a good twenty-five or thirty hardcore/metalcore/spazzcore/noisecore/grindcore albums, none of which are even remotely good in my opinion. So yeah. More metal, please.

mankvill
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey man, I love Decibel more than I probably rationally should but they piss me off at times too. Converge and Cave In got their #1 and 2 for the decade, and the list has a good twenty-five or thirty hardcore/metalcore/spazzcore/noisecore/grindcore albums, none of which are even remotely good in my opinion. So yeah. More metal, please.

Post this list, please.

DethMaiden
12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Post this list, please.

Ughhhhh I have to type 100 things because no one has reposted it on the Decibel forums yet. I will later.

mankvill
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Ughhhhh I have to type 100 things because no one has reposted it on the Decibel forums yet. I will later.

I'm patient. :)

DethMaiden
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm patient. :)

Only because I don't feel like learning math right now...

1. Converge - Jane Doe
2. Cave In - Jupiter
3. Opeth - Blackwater Park
4. Isis - Oceanic
5. Mastodon - Remission
6. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
7. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
8. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
9. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
10. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
11. Torche - Meanderthal
12. Discordance Axis - The Inalienable Dreamless
13. Baroness - Blue Record
14. Napalm Death - Enemy of the Music Business
15. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
16. The Red Chord - Clients
17. Converge - Axe to Fall
18. Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
19. Melt-Banana - CellScape
20. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
21. Enslaved - Isa
22. Tragedy - Tragedy
23. Fugazi - The Argument
24. Mare - Mare
25. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
26. Jesu - Silver
27. High on Fire - Surrounded By Thieves
28. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
29. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
30. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
31. Mastodon - Leviathan
32. Craft - Fuck the Universe
33. Isis - Panopticon
34. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
35. Shellac - 1000 Hurts
36. Witchcraft - Witchcraft
37. Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing
38. Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
39. Converge - You Fail Me
40. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
41. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
42. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
43. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
44. Watain - Sworn to the Dark
45. Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
46. Evoken - Quietus
47. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
48. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
49. Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
50. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
51. Ludicra - Fex Urbis, Lex Orbis
52. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
53. Isis - Celestial
54. Jesu - Jesu
55. Enslaved - Below the Lights
56. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
57. High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
58. Disfear - Live the Storm
59. Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
60. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave
61. Deftones - White Pony
62. Botch - An Anthology of Dead Ends
63. Converge - No Heroes
64. Hatebreed - Perseverance
65. Withered - Memento Mori
66. Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror
67. Meshuggah - Catch 33
68. Thorns - Thorns
69. Rotten Sound - Murderworks
70. Trap Them - Seizures in Barren Praise
71. Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
72. Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle, Part I
73. Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
74. Nasum - Human 2.0
75. Fucked Up - Hidden World
76. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
77. Taint - The Ruin of Nova Roma
78. System of a Down - Toxicity
79. Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
80. Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash
81. Mayhem - Chimera
82. Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
83. Drowningman - How They Light Cigarettes in Prison
84. Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
85. Watain - Casus Luciferi
86. Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
87. Psyopus - Ideas of Reference
88. The Haunted- The Haunted Made Me Do It
89. Cryptopsy - ...And Then You'll Beg
90. Asunder - Works Will Come Undone
91. Godflesh - Hymns
92. Cathedral - Endtyme
93. The Paper Chase - Now You Are One Of Us
94. Decapitated - Nihility
95. Coalesce - Ox
96. In Flames - Clayman
97. Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights
98. Cobalt - Gin
99. My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours
100. Slayer - World Painted Blood

Whew. For starters, Gin only two places above WPB made me throw up in my mouth. Second of all, I wonder how they found time to type while they were sucking Converge's dick. Third, five of my top ten of the decade made their top 100, which I guess I should consider a victory. Fourth, Leviathan is WAAAAAAAAAAY too low, I don't know many people who don't have it in their top 10 of the decade, if not their #1.

mankvill
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Anaal Nathrakh in the 30's. Will you fuck's please listen to them now? :D

ADD
12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Interesting list. Never would've thought stuff like Warhorse, Ludicra, Agalloch, or Asunder would make a list like this, I like that. They do really have a strange obsession with Converge though.

DethMaiden
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Interesting list. Never would've thought stuff like Warhorse, Ludicra, Agalloch, or Asunder would make a list like this, I like that. They do really have a strange obsession with Converge though.

Yeah they give obscure shit credit where credit is due which I dig but goddamn, four Converge albums in the two-thirds of this list. Fucking gay.