PDA

View Full Version : Pending:The top 12 Metal songs of 00's (completely Slipknot, Korn, Lamb of God free!)

JRA
11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
No order:

Gamma Ray- From The Ashes
Mastodon- The Last Baron
Children Of Bodom- Kissing The Shadows
Rush- One Little Victory
Motorhead- In The Name Of Tragedy
Cannibal Corpse- Evisceration Plague
Clutch- The Mob Goes Wild
Overkill- Unholy
Kreator- Enemy of God
Pantera- I'll Cast A Shadow
Nightwish- Crownless
Judas Priest- Judas Rising

DethMaiden
11-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I would say "The Mob Goes Wild" is about as rock-n'-roll as it gets so I'd be wary of calling it metal, but there's some good shit on this list. The Last Baron getting the only Mastodon nod I'm not crazy about, I'd probably pick a shorter, riffier song like Mother Puncher or Blood and Thunder, or Hearts Alive if we're going the epic route. But word up on Enemy of God. :cool:

JRA
11-15-2009, 08:46 AM
But word up on Enemy of God. :cool:

Even Ultraboris likes the song! :money:

Honestly, I thought about Hearts Alive, and I thought about how long it took for me to get into it (many moons ago, I did declare "Hearts Alive is very long but fails to be epic"), whereas with Last Baron, I was hooked from the very beginning.

Mob Goes Wild might actually be my number #1.

SomewhereInTime72
11-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Enemy of God is a sick choice. :cool:

...So is Kissing The Shadows. Forgot that one came out this decade. :eyes:

JRA
11-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm actually gonna add Judas Rising to the list, as a) it's awesome, b) it's the only awesome song on AOR that doesn't name drop songtitles.

So mods change the title to "Pending: The top 12 Metal songs of 00's (completely mallcore and nu-metal free!)"

Dextrimental
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Cool list, i agree with about half the bands chosen, and about none of the songs by them.. Maybe Enemy of God.. but still to each his own :)

Sanitarium78
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Indestructible
11-15-2009, 10:47 AM
In the presenece of enemies-Dream theater
Six degrees of innerturbulence-Dream theater
the glass prison-dream theater

Judas kiss-metallica
all nightmare long-metallica
that was just your life-metallica
Cyanide-metallica

dream of mirrors-iron maiden
ghost of navigator-iron maiden

This godless endeavor-nevermore
a future uncertain -nevermore
my acid words-nevermore

DethMaiden
11-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Judas kiss-metallica
Cyanide-metallica

my acid words-nevermore

You need to listen to more bands.

JRA
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Judas kiss-metallica
Cyanide-metallica

my acid words-nevermore

Aside from maybe Ghost of The Navigator, all those songs can go fuck themselves.

DethMaiden
11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Aside from maybe Ghost of The Navigator, all those songs can go fuck themselves.

Eh, most of them are good songs. But to only have four bands you think recorded good songs in a decade shows ignorance.

Dextrimental
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Ah now hold on, the DT songs are DEFINITELY worth a look, although in fairness Octavarium would be my choice as their representation in this kinda chart. And this godless endeavour by Nevermore is a cool song. The song choice or band choices aren't the problem though, only four bands in a decade is, Dethmaiden said, ignorant.

Indestructible
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Eh, most of them are good songs. But to only have four bands you think recorded good songs in a decade shows ignorance.

I listen to alot more bands those 4 have just relased albums that are better than anything else. For this decade there is also Iced earth nightwish,megadeth,shadows fall.and others so my lists still need some work. And i am definetly not ignorant when it comes to the metal genre.

Indestructible
11-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Ah now hold on, the DT songs are DEFINITELY worth a look, although in fairness Octavarium would be my choice as their representation in this kinda chart. And this godless endeavour by Nevermore is a cool song. The song choice or band choices aren't the problem though, only four bands in a decade is, Dethmaiden said, ignorant.

I like alot more bands than those four. But why am I not allowed to like those four the most out of everything that came since 2000.

Dextrimental
11-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I like alot more bands than those four. But why am I not allowed to like those four the most out of everything that came since 2000.

No, its not a question of who you like most though, its a top chart of your favorite metal songs since 2000. Of ALL the bands that came out in this decade, of ALL the albums, and of ALL the songs, are you telling me the only ones you would include in a top ten chart are those four bands and those songs?

mastodon421
11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
In No Particular Order
Between The Buried And Me-Swim To The Moon
Children Of Bodom-Kissing The Shadows
Children Of Bodom-Needled 24/7
High On Fire-Fury Whip
In Flames-Pinball Map
Lamb Of God-Laid To Rest
Mastodon-Iron Tusk
Mastodon-Blood And Thunder
Mastodon-The Wolf Is Loose
The Black Dahlia Murder-What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Pantera-Goddamn Electric

zgodt
11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I would say "The Mob Goes Wild" is about as rock-n'-roll as it gets so I'd be wary of calling it metal

But Rush as metal doesn't raise an eyebrow?

zgodt
11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
in flames – pinball map
mastodon – iron tusk
system of a down – b.y.o.b.
opeth – deliverance
between the buried and me – fossil genera: feed from cloud mountain
baroness – swollen and halo
anthrax – safe home
nile – lashed to the slave stick
children of bodom - needled 24/7
iron maiden – paschendale
cephalic carnage - g.lobal o.verhaul d.evice
blaze - tenth dimension

(12)

DethMaiden
11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
But you're cool with calling Rush metal?

Shit. You caught me. No, I'm not. But I also wouldn't consider anything Rush have done this decade to be good enough to make a list of this kind so I didn't think about it.

JRA
11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
But Rush as metal doesn't raise an eyebrow?

One Little Victory is a metal song, I don't give a fuck if the whole band denies it. It was the first song I ever heard and it completely blew away my expectations of what I had for the band. If Lemmy was singing that song it could pass itself off for a Motorhead song just fine. One Little Victory is a 100% neck breaking metal song.

idrinkwine732
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
In no order:

Bleed - Meshuggah
The Last Baron - Mastodon
Blood and Thunder - Mastodon
Deliverance - Opeth
Cast Down the Heretic - Nile
She Never Noticed Me - Vehemence (Criminally overlooked on my top 10 of 00's)
Terminus (Where Death is Most Alive) - Dark Tranquility
Halo - Machine Head (fuck off)
The Day It All Came Down - Insomnium
Spheres of Madness - Decapitated
My Last Serenade - Killswitch Engage

Maiden33
11-15-2009, 08:29 PM
anthrax – safe home
blaze - tenth dimension

Tenth Dimension fucking rules - great song and great album alike. I'd definitely take Stare at the Sun as my favorite Blaze song, but this would have to be top 5.

And I have to admit, I have a really random secret hard-on for Safe Home, always have.

zgodt
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Tenth Dimension fucking rules - great song and great album alike. I'd definitely take Stare at the Sun as my favorite Blaze fan, but this would have to be top 5.

And I have to admit, I have a really random secret hard-on for Safe Home, always have.

:fist:

Doing this thread made me remember what a fucking awesome song "Pinball Map" is. Must listen to Clayman NOW.

DethMaiden
11-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Anyway, this list is too hard for me, but I'll say that "Deliverance" is guaranteed a spot. :horns:

Indestructible
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
No, its not a question of who you like most though, its a top chart of your favorite metal songs since 2000. Of ALL the bands that came out in this decade, of ALL the albums, and of ALL the songs, are you telling me the only ones you would include in a top ten chart are those four bands and those songs?

For me these are very hard lists to make.

Sanitarium78
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

If it's not a question of who you like the most then how exactly do you go about making your list? There has been a lot of good metal to come out over the last ten years and it's recieved a huge resurgence in popularity but this was hardly the best decade metal has ever had music wise 1980-1990 gets that distinction as far as i'm conserned.

But in terms of variety I don't have a problem with someone only including four or five artists on their list. If they feel those particular artists came out with the best songs over the last decade then what's the big deal? It doesn't mean that they only listen to those few bands it just means that person feels the stand out tracks of the last ten years have been done by a few particular artists. I'll have to think about my list a little before I post it but I garuntee you that it would be dominated by stuff off the 3 albums Maiden has let out this decade. It doesn't mean I only listen to Iron Maiden it just means they released the material that stood out most for me the last decade.

Indestructible
11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Of ALL the bands that came out in this decade, of ALL the albums, and of ALL the songs, are you telling me the only ones you would include in a top ten chart are those four bands and those songs?

Yes because those are the bands and albums and songs i like the most. Rush,Maiden,Metallica,King diamond,Nevermore,Iced Earth,.Some of the best music i have ever heard And if your not going to put in some of the best music you have ever heard in a top ten album list who do you put in .I didnt do these lists to make you happy i made this list cause the topic said top ten albums of this decade and i put down what i thought. With the great albums i heard its hard to make a list when your limited to ten.

Dextrimental
11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
If it's not a question of who you like the most then how exactly do you go about making your list? There has been a lot of good metal to come out over the last ten years and it's recieved a huge resurgence in popularity but this was hardly the best decade metal has ever had music wise 1980-1990 gets that distinction as far as i'm conserned.

But in terms of variety I don't have a problem with someone only including four or five artists on their list. If they feel those particular artists came out with the best songs over the last decade then what's the big deal? It doesn't mean that they only listen to those few bands it just means that person feels the stand out tracks of the last ten years have been done by a few particular artists. I'll have to think about my list a little before I post it but I garuntee you that it would be dominated by stuff off the 3 albums Maiden has let out this decade. It doesn't mean I only listen to Iron Maiden it just means they released the material that stood out most for me the last decade.

IT just seems ignorant to ONLY include four bands in a list like this. Honestly, it just baffles me that of all the bands and songs to come out, he'd include only four bands. And what I meant by its not about your favorite bands, cuz its favorite songs, not favorite bands. And @ indestructible, its a song list not an album list.

All im saying is I find it hard to believe in a list like this anyone would have trouble putting 11 serparate bands in.

Sanitarium78
11-17-2009, 04:24 PM
IT just seems ignorant to ONLY include four bands in a list like this. Honestly, it just baffles me that of all the bands and songs to come out, he'd include only four bands. And what I meant by its not about your favorite bands, cuz its favorite songs, not favorite bands. And @ indestructible, its a song list not an album list.

All im saying is I find it hard to believe in a list like this anyone would have trouble putting 11 serparate bands in.

I'm the opposite of you it would be hard for me to include 11 different bands in mine. It's not just this decade it would be hard for me to narrow down my top 11 metal songs for any decade and choose 11 different artists.

Indestructible
11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
And @ indestructible, its a song list not an album list.

Well what i said applys to both. Just anwser this. Song or album list of the decade what bands would you put in if they are not your favorite bands. Wouldnt it be obvious that people would put their favorite bands in a top ten list about music of this decade.

Dextrimental
11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Well what i said applys to both. Just anwser this. Song or album list of the decade what bands would you put in if they are not your favorite bands. Wouldnt it be obvious that people would put their favorite bands in a top ten list about music of this decade.

What I meant was that only putting four bands in would be like me only putting in songs by Slipknot, LoG, PanterA and Slayer, my four favorites, but I wont do that, cuz its uninteresting. Look put it whatever you want, I really dont care that much, just, have a bit of fun with it, only have one song per band on the list.. Only having four bands is ignorant of all the talent that came out this decade, if u heard a ranking like this on the radio, or on the tv, or on a website, you'd be annoyed if it only included four bands, with like four songs by each band on it. Make it interesting to those who are reading it, you said you like loads of other stuff, then show it is all im saying :)

Div
11-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll take a go at this

I - Days of North Winds
King Diamond - Magic
Slough Feg - Psionic Illuminations
Bruce Dickinson - Navigate the Seas of the Sun
Agalloch - Not Unlike the Waves
Black Pyramid - Wintermute
Iron Maiden - Paschendale
Overkill - Old School
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Went Numb
Megadeth - Back In The Day
Vomitron - Eye of the Tiger

Indestructible
11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
What I meant was that only putting four bands in would be like me only putting in songs by Slipknot, LoG, PanterA and Slayer, my four favorites, but I wont do that, cuz its uninteresting. Look put it whatever you want, I really dont care that much, just, have a bit of fun with it, only have one song per band on the list.. Only having four bands is ignorant of all the talent that came out this decade, if u heard a ranking like this on the radio, or on the tv, or on a website, you'd be annoyed if it only included four bands, with like four songs by each band on it. Make it interesting to those who are reading it, you said you like loads of other stuff, then show it is all im saying :)

If Lamb of God,Pantera,Slayer and Slipknot are your four favorites i would get it if those were the only four in the list.

Mancubus
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
In no particular order

1. Shatter the Empyrean - Anaal Nathrakh
2. Backbone - Gojira
3. The Last Baron - Mastodon
4. Imperium - Machine Head
5. The Coffin Ships - Primordial
6. Slaves Shall Serve - Behemoth
7. Parabola - Tool
8. Death Walking Terror - Cannibal Corpse
9. Worthington's Law - The Nemesis Theory
10. Baby's First Coffin - The Dillinger Escape Plan
11. Converge - Jane Doe
12. Force Fed - Strapping Young Lad

b_halperin
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm really bad at deciding what I want to remember the 2000's by music-wise, there's just such a broad spectrum you can choose from. I'm sure if I were to look at this list a week from now I'd most likely revise it.

Oroborus - Gojira
Integral Birth - Cynic
Ressurection - Chimaira
Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult - Goatwhore
Into the Light - Crystal Eyes
I'm Alive - Disturbed
Battle Metal - Turisas
Disciple - Slayer
Reclamation - Lamb of God
Grotesque Impalement - Dying Fetus
The Mirror's Truth - In Flames
Forever - Kamelot

JRA
10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
No order:

Mastodon- The Last Baron
Children Of Bodom- Kissing The Shadows
Rush- One Little Victory
Motorhead- In The Name Of Tragedy
Clutch- The Mob Goes Wild
Overkill- Unholy
Kreator- Enemy of God
Pantera- I'll Cast A Shadow
Nightwish- Crownless
Judas Priest- Judas Rising

If I were to re-do this now I'd take off

Overkill- Unholy

and add on

High On Fire- Devilution
Immortal- Beyond The North Waves
Gamma Ray- The Heart of The Unicorn

illuminatus917
10-23-2013, 01:07 PM
In no order:

Bleed - Meshuggah
The Last Baron - Mastodon
Blood and Thunder - Mastodon
Deliverance - Opeth
Cast Down the Heretic - Nile
She Never Noticed Me - Vehemence (Criminally overlooked on my top 10 of 00's)
Terminus (Where Death is Most Alive) - Dark Tranquility
Halo - Machine Head (fuck off)
The Day It All Came Down - Insomnium
Spheres of Madness - Decapitated
My Last Serenade - Killswitch Engage

:wow:

I would like to see a revision of this.

This is a nearly impossible exercise that would yield different results from day to day for most, but here's my best shot off the top of my head, in no order:

Agalloch - In The Shadow Of My Pale Companion
Agalloch - Fire Above, Ice Below
Wolves In The Throne Room - A Looming Resonance
Virgin Black - ...And I Am Suffering
Overmars - Born Again
Cormorant - Scavengers Feast
Fell Voices - (untitled)
Celtic Frost - Triptych: Synagoga Satanae
Mourning Beloveth - The Sickness
Meshuggah - In Death - Is Death
Lunar Aurora - Die Nacht
Insomnium - Where The Last Wave Broke

EDIT: Assuming this is limited to the decade of the 2000's only (that distinction wasn't made, but as gathered from the timing of the OP), I edited accordingly. Half of these songs wouldn't be here otherwise.

Dextrimental
10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow I was an insufferable asshole in 2009. Could barely spell, too. Aaaaaaaand I had shitty taste. Well, worse taste. :lol:

Anyway, this my attempt:

Gojira - Heaviest Matter in the Universe
Mastodon - Sleeping Giants
Mastodon - Hearts Alive
Trivium - Shogun
Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Slayer - Disciple
Dream Theater - Octavarium (Mayyyybe)
Deicide - The Lord's Sedition
Cannibal Corpse - Pit of Zombies
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Killswitch Engage - My Curse (Mayyyyybe)
Napalm Death - When All Is Said And Done

Yeah, if I put thought into it it would be very different.

JRA
10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Wow I was an insufferable asshole in 2009.

Was looking through my old posts, I wasn't much better.

The_jman
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
wow, this would be so difficult... most of my favorite songs aren't strictly metal I don't think.

hb420
10-23-2013, 06:12 PM
1. Agalloch - Black Lake Nidstang
2. Pallbearer - Given To The Grave
3. SubRosa - The Usher
4. Neurosis - Stones From The Sky
5. YOB - Grasping Air
6. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Motherfucker=Redeemer, Part 1
7. Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis
8. Altar of Plagues - Neptune Is Dead
9. Celtic Frost - Synagoga Satanae
10.Giant Squid - Blue Linckia
11. Cobalt - Two Thumbed Fist
12. OM - At Giza

TheWildAndTheYoung
10-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Wow, definitely would change from day to day, but here's my best shot:

Generation Wild by Crashdiet (to me will always be the best song of the 21st century unless something tops it)
Beast And The Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold
Twilight Of The Thunder God by Amon Amarth
Beautiful Death by Wintersun
The Anomaly by Scar Symmetry
The Seven Angels by Avantasia
Riders Of The Storm by HammerFall
Fallen World by DragonForce
Different World by Iron Maiden
I Want My Tears Back by Nightwish
Death To All But Metal by Steel Panther
Hunting High And Low by Stratovarius

BRAman22
10-23-2013, 07:33 PM
1. Tenacious D - Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)
2. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
3. Mastodon - The Wolf Is Loose
4. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Black Bubblegum
5. In Flames - Only For the Weak
6. Mastodon - Aqua Dementia
7. Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles
8. Slayer - Disciple
9. Testament - The Evil Has Landed
10.The Sword - Tres Brujas
11. Deftones - Passenger
12. Gojira - The Gift of Guilt

This is absolutely impossible...

IrritatedTrout
10-23-2013, 07:58 PM
1. Iron Maiden - Paschendale

... and then just some favorites:

Alice Cooper - Brutal Planet
Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man
Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun
System of a Down - Prison Song
Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Jethro Tull - First Snow on Brooklyn
Mastodon - Blood & Thunder
Motorhead - In the Name of Tragedy
Judas Priest - Judas Rising
System of a Down - B.Y.O.B.
Agalloch - Fire Above, Ice Below
Iron Maiden - The Longest Day
Iron Maiden - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
Mastodon - Crystal Skull
Slayer - Flesh Storm
Tool - Vicarious
Gojira - Vacuity
Testament - More Than Meets the Eye
Heaven and Hell - Bible Black
Megadeth - 44 Minutes

BTBAM310
10-24-2013, 08:57 AM
In no order:

Between the Buried and Me - Sun of Nothing
High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
The Contortionist - Holomovement
Cattle Decapitation - Your Disposal
Shrinebuilder - Solar Benediction
Bison BC - Wendigo Part I (Quest for Fire)
Mastodon - The Last Baron
Intronaut - Core Relations
Isis - Backlit
Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
The Ocean - Grand Inquisitor II: Roots & Locusts
The Sword - Freya

JRA
10-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I ought to clarify, by 00's, I meant 2000-2009. (Otherwise I would put Snakes For The Divine straight at #1).

kalfitegrdan
10-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Probably would be way different if I put some more thought into it.

1. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
2. Tyr - Regin Smidur
3. Dethklok - I Trample Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin
4. Vital Remains - Dechristianize
5. Benighted - Grind Wit
6. The Black Dahlia Murder - Necropolis
7. Equilibrium - Unbesiegt
8. Death Angel - Thrown to the Wolves
9. Obituary - Insane
10. Immolation - Father, You're Not a Father
11. Cobalt - Gin
12. Ensiferum - Hero in a Dream