PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten (Metal) Albums of the Decade

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
So here's an exercise that I've been wanting to do that will keep me from continuing my studies for another hour or so. It's weird that we're at the end of a decade when I distinctly remember the moment when 1999 became 2000. What this decade really gave me more than anything else, though, was metal, and a musical identity. For that reason, I'm making this a top ten metal albums of the 2000s list. Fleet Foxes, Tegan and Sara, Clutch, The Decemberists, and Flogging Molly would likely have had spots on this list but I decided to go the metal-only route. So here goes:

10. Immortal- Sons of Northern Darkness (2002)
http://www.teethofthedivine.com/site/uploads/2009/10/sonsofnortherndarkness.jpg
My introduction to Norway's grimmest didn't come through their frostbitten black metal roots but from their epic blackened thrash maelstrom, Sons of Northern Darkness. Vastly underrated by purists, this album represents a perfect marriage of the corpse-painted fury of the early 90s and a very modern, well-produced heavy metal edge. Key tracks: "One By One", "Sons of Northern Darkness", "In My Kingdom Cold"

9. Halford- Resurrection (2000)
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/halford_resurrection.jpg
It's impossible to overstate how important this album was in my development as a heavy metal fan. Every song on the album is a winner, and the Metal God sounds better than he has since 1990. When it comes to pure heavy metal, there isn't a better album this decade. Nostradamus was cool, but this album will make you pine for Halford's "Breaking the Law" days. Key tracks: "Silent Screams", "Resurrection", "The One You Love To Hate"

8. Mouth of the Architect- The Ties That Blind (2006)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hrbJNEdATes/STiEX5qPu4I/AAAAAAAAAWM/VL4CmrprOs0/s320/mota_hires-SM.jpg
My love affair with this album started with some admitted home team bias. Mouth of the Architect are Dayton's biggest metal export not called Night Ranger, so naturally I had an affinity for them. But the more post-metal I listened to, I realized that this, one of my first post-metal records, was the best thing the scene produced. Syrupy riffs, shouted-from-the-next-room vocals, and a real prog rock sensibility (ex-guitarist Greg Lahm admits Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and King Crimson were a constant presence during writing) make this one of the best albums of the decade. Fun fact: I'm getting a tattoo loosely based on this album art this coming summer. Key tracks: "Baobab", "No One Wished to Settle Here", "At Arms Length"

7. Iron Maiden- Dance of Death (2003)
http://ddfanatico.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/iron_maiden_dance_of_death__big.jpg
It wouldn't be a heavy metal list without the greatest heavy metal band of all time on it, and the second album recorded after Bruce and Adrian rejoined the band is the best thing they've done since the Golden Era. This album is the least plagued by formula of their post-1992 output, too, and a youthful energy oozes out of the songs. And I do apologize for republishing the worst album art of all time. Key tracks: "Paschendale", "Journeyman", "Rainmaker"

6. Opeth- Blackwater Park (2001)
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/images/d/d4/Park.jpg
Every Opeth album is damn good, but on Blackwater Park literally everything went right. This is just a tour de force of prog metal awesomeness. The mellow parts are beautiful, the death metal parts are crushing, the transitions are seamless, and the songs are generally among the best that Opeth has done. Key tracks: "The Leper Affinity", "Blackwater Park", "Bleak"

5. Mastodon- Blood Mountain (2006)
http://bp0.blogger.com/_OKiIsKXwpXI/R_rh19DZUAI/AAAAAAAAAaE/Sh3ZBeHMQ7g/s320/Blood+Mountain2.bmp
If Leviathan got Mastodon off the ground in terms of popularity, Blood Mountain pushed them through the stratosphere and made them quite possibly the biggest band in metal. Which is fine, because the tunes back it up. This is also the crowning achievement of Mastodon as a musician's band, with all the members firing on all cylinders at their respective instruments. Key tracks: "Sleeping Giant", "Colony of Birchmen", "Siberian Divide"

4. Between the Buried and Me- Colors (2007)
http://www.betweentheburiedandme.com/alaska/web_admin/band_photos/VR351.jpg
In the hands of less capable bands, this album would have been a disaster. Essentially, Between the Buried and Me took as many riffs and genres as they could think of, threw them in a blender, and called it Colors. Regardless, this is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the decade. The band comfortably fuses all of its influences in a perfect storm of an album that I doubt they'll top. When Tommy Rogers screams "We will be remembered for this" in album closer "White Walls", he's fulfilling prophecy. Key tracks: "White Walls", "Foam Born", "Ants of the Sky"

3. Cobalt- Gin (2009)
http://mediaportal.ru/uploads/posts/2009-04/1240775100_f300.jpg
Heavy. That's the best way to describe a black metal album this fucked up. An audio tribute to Ernest Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson, this is the soundtrack to getting wasted in the woods in a rainstorm, alone, and trying to build a shelter for the night. It's a terrifying, sexually frustrated journey into the mind of its creators but also into the minds of all of us. While "black metal meets Tool" is a fair description of the sounds, it really has to be heard to be believed. Key tracks: "Gin", "A Starved Horror", "Arsonry"

2. Cynic- Traced in Air (2008)
http://alias.codiferes.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Cynic_-_Traced_in_Air.jpg
This is an easy target for people who hate cold, calculated prog metal with lots of effects and crisp production, but what I've been struck by the hundreds of times I've listened to the album is that beneath all that, it has a lot of soul. Paul Masvidal's spiritual lyrics contribute a lot to that, but so does his soulful croon which has all but replaced the robot voices and death metal growls that dominated their 1994 debut. Unlike a lot of comparable prog metal albums, Traced in Air knows when to stop, and you're left wanting more when it ends. Key tracks: "The Space for This", "Adam's Murmur", "King of Those Who Know"

1. Mastodon- Leviathan (2004)
http://metalship.org/archives/albums/album937.jpg
Well, here it is. The best metal album of the 2000s in my opinion. It's not a shocking choice, as it's probably the most critically acclaimed metal album of the decade as well, but there's nothing on it that doesn't rule. It's a solid slab of greatness, beginning to end. From Neil Fallon and Scott Kelly's guest vocal appearances to Brent Hinds' flirtation with his rockabilly background, from Brann Dailor's inhuman fills to Troy Sanders' inhuman shouts, and from the simple beauty of acoustic instrumental "Joseph Merrick" to the biggest, most epic piece the band has ever done, "Hearts Alive", this album is perfect. If you somehow haven't heard it yet, please do so. Key tracks: "Hearts Alive", "Blood and Thunder", "Iron Tusk"

mankvill
11-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I dunno if I'd be able to do this, but hopefully everyone who does this has a better list than the shitfest that was Metal Sucks' Top 21 metal albums of the 21st century.

idrinkwine732
11-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Ugh, the whole decade? I've had trouble with just this year, I'd probably put Leviathan on the top spot though.

Traced in Air over Blackwater Park though...

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I dunno if I'd be able to do this, but hopefully everyone who does this has a better list than the shitfest that was Metal Sucks' Top 21 metal albums of the 21st century.

Whoa, just read that list, that was horrible. I thought they were generally a pretty tr00 source, but there were like three Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God records each on that list. :barf:

mankvill
11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Whoa, just read that list, that was horrible. I thought they were generally a pretty tr00 source, but there were like three Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God records each on that list. :barf:

90% of the people who contribute to that site have extremely shitty taste. I mean, they are the ones who got Iwrestledabearonce popular, dude.

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
90% of the people who contribute to that site have extremely shitty taste. I mean, they are the ones who got Iwrestledabearonce popular, dude.

Well, credit where credit is due for having an accurate website name. When it's that kind of metal they're talking about, metal certainly does suck.

idrinkwine732
11-14-2009, 12:43 PM
While I'm all for saying fuck Iwrestledabearonce and most of the bands they support on that site, I loved Alive or Just Breathing

mankvill
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Okay, so this is for personal reasons only? Okay.

1. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
2. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
3. Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt
4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
5. Dark Funeral - De Profundis Clamavi Ad Te Domine
6. Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here
7. Boris - Pink
8. Absu - Absu
9. Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost
10. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor

SomewhereInTime72
11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure if limiting it to metal albums only made this easier or harder.

Anyway, I'm only picking albums that for some reason have clicked for me personally the most and have had a lot of staying power in my listening habits for that reason. As such, I wouldn't really expect many people to agree with me.

10. In Flames - Clayman
9. Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
8. Behemoth - Evangelion
7. Ensiferum - Iron
6. Helloween - The Dark Ride
5. Kamelot - The Black Halo
4. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
3. Amorphis - Silent Waters
2. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
1. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element I

edit: man I don't understand all the love for BTBAM :wtf: :eyes: :(

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I'll do my list soon, but in the meantime I have to chide you for not including Baroness on there somewhere. Then again, it's your list, so more power to ya.

I noticed you said Clutch doesn't count...but I would argue that they are metal. Either way, does that mean Tool doesn't count? (Shut up in advance, Mankvill :finger:).

mankvill
11-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I noticed you said Clutch doesn't count...but I would argue that they are metal. Either way, does that mean Tool doesn't count? (Shut up in advance, Mankvill :finger:).

I was gonna quote that and to the barfing emote, but i didn't.

All for you :lovedup:

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I'll do my list soon, but in the meantime I have to chide you for not including Baroness on there somewhere. Then again, it's your list, so more power to ya.

I count Tool as prog metal but I couldn't quite bring myself to put them on my list. And Red Album really wasn't even that close to making the list. :snivel:

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I count Tool as prog metal but I couldn't quite bring myself to put them on my list. And Red Album really wasn't even that close to making the list. :snivel:

Well I have to decide between Red or Blue, and Lateralus or 10,000 Days, but one of each is going to be on my list. :horns:

mastodon421
11-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Top 10 Metal Albums of The Decade

1.Mastodon-Blood Mountain
2.Between The Buried And Me-The Great Misdirect
3.Mastodon-Leviathian
4.In Flames-Clayman
5.Children Of Bodom-Follow The Reaper
6.Between The Buried And Me-Colors
7.System Of A Down-Toxicity
8.Killswitch Engage-End Of Heartache
9.Lamb Of God-Ashes Of The Wake
10.Mastodon-Crack The Skye

JRA
11-14-2009, 04:09 PM
None of these lists have Overkill's Killbox 13, therefore they fail.

Maiden33
11-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Damn it Brad, this was my idea first. :D

After further review, I'll be posting a list in my own topic soon.

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Damn it Brad, this was my idea first. :D

After further review, I'll be posting a list in my own topic soon.

And what a damn good idea it was! ;)

Div
11-14-2009, 07:19 PM
would be really hard for me to do this, much easier to make a top 10 shittiest albums list.

mankvill
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
would be really hard for me to do this, much easier to make a top 10 shittiest albums list.

tool
lamb of god
killswitch engage
etc.

SomewhereInTime72
11-14-2009, 07:49 PM
tool
lamb of god
killswitch engage
etc.

no mention of st. anger? come on man i thought you were better than that

also shut up lateralus and 10000 days are both great and you live in denial

mankvill
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
no mention of st. anger? come on man i thought you were better than that

more like 10,000 gays

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 07:56 PM
more like 10,000 gays

:lol: Love the album but that was well done.

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 08:04 PM
This.

more like 10,000 gays
:mad::mad::mad:

SomewhereInTime72
11-14-2009, 08:06 PM
more like 10,000 gays

more like lateranus

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 08:07 PM
more like lateranus

Don't encourage the denying mother fucker. :rolleyes:

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Top 10 non-metal albums of the decade:

1. Clutch- Blast Tyrant
2. Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
3. Flogging Molly- Drunken Lullabies
4. Tegan and Sara- The Con
5. The Decemberists- The Crane Wife
6. Arcade Fire- Neon Bible
7. Propagandhi- Supporting Caste
8-10. Other Clutch albums

:bliss:

EDIT: Shit, put Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet at #1 and slide the rest down.

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Well Blast Tyrant was going on my list, too...but outta respect for the author of the thread, I guess I'll leave it off. Just had to state for the record that that album rocks balls, tho. :D

Yay, one more spot to fill on my list now. Hello, silver lining...

rohan
11-14-2009, 08:50 PM
1. Spineshank - Self Destructive Pattern
2. Hed PE - Broke
3. Korn - Untouchables
4. Static X - Start A War
5. Static X - Cannibal
6. Superheist - The Prize Recruit
7. Sevendust - Next
8. Hed PE - Only In America
9. Shihad - Love Is The New Hate
10. Bloodduster - Lynden Na

DethMaiden
11-14-2009, 08:51 PM
2. Hed PE - Broke
3. Korn - Untouchables
5. Static X - Cannibal
7. Sevendust - Next

So what's your metal list look like, bro?

rohan
11-14-2009, 08:53 PM
u don't condiser those bands metal?

mankvill
11-14-2009, 08:53 PM
2. Hed PE - Broke
3. Korn - Untouchables
5. Static X - Cannibal
7. Sevendust - Next

rohan: trolling metalheads since 2009

rohan
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
what do u mean?

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
u don't condiser those bands metal?

No.

(Not good metal, anyway.)

idrinkwine732
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
1. Mastodon - Leviathan
2. Meshuggah - Nothing
3. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
4. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
5. Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (Fuck everything after that)
6. Meshuggah - Obzen
7. Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
8. Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance (that was early 00's right?)
9. Cormorant - Metazoa (I feel wrong for putting them this far down, but I don't know)
10. Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh

I'm leaving so much out but this is the quickest 10 I could think of.

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
1. Mastodon - Leviathan
2. Meshuggah - Nothing
6. Meshuggah - Obzen
9. Cormorant - Metazoa (I feel wrong for putting them this far down, but I don't know)

Nice. At least two of those will be on my list.

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 11:06 PM
All right, here is my list - but first, a few caveats:

1. Fuck you, Brad, for making me pick just ten. That is fucking cruel.
2. Because of #1, I am making a list of "Honorable Mentions". If you don't like it, you can just go straight to hell. :D
3. I forced myself to not list any band twice. If I thought a band had two (or more), I made myself pick just one.
4. These are not in order. Fuck that. This was hard enough as it was. Fucking Brad. :mad:

Ten Most Awesomest Metal Albums of 2000-2009:
Baroness - Blue Record (2009)
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005)
Burst - Lazarus Bird (2008)
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (2005)
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings (2005)
Isis - Oceanic (2002)
Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)
Meshuggah - Nothing (2002)
Russian Circles - Enter (2006)
Tool - Lateralus (2001)

Twelve More Metal Albums That You Should Also Listen To, If You Know What's Good For You:
5ive - Hesperus (2008)
Cobalt - Gin (2009)
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway (2006)
Cynic - Traced in Air (2008)
Giant Squid - The Ichthyologist (2009)
IntrOnaut - Prehistoricisms (2008)
Kylesa - Static Tensions (2009)
Made Out of Babies - The Ruiner (2008)
Necrophagist - Epitaph (2004)
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb (2007)
Slayer - God Hates Us All (2001)
Torche - Meanderthal (2008)

SomewhereInTime72
11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh god, I can't believe I forgot about Oceanic. It's just too good.

Natrlhi
11-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh god, I can't believe I forgot about Oceanic. It's just too good.

Damn straight. I just looked at your list and realized I forgot Behemoth, too - although I would have chosen "Demigod" myself. :rocker:

Fucking Brad.

mankvill
11-15-2009, 12:11 AM

:lovedup:

TonyD
11-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Ugh, the whole decade? I've had trouble with just this year, I'd probably put Leviathan on the top spot though.

Traced in Air over Blackwater Park though...

Fuuuck that.

I'll be posting a voting thread for this after the 2009 voting is done (January 15th-ish).

TonyD
11-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Ten Most Awesomest Metal Albums of 2000-2009:
Baroness - Blue Record (2009)
Burst - Lazarus Bird (2008)
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (2005)
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings (2005)
Isis - Oceanic (2002)
Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)
Meshuggah - Nothing (2002)
Russian Circles - Enter (2006)
Tool - Lateralus (2001)

1. Mastodon - Leviathan
2. Meshuggah - Nothing
6. Meshuggah - Obzen

I can't even agree with these.

Also, I figure if we do do a 00's decade voting thread (:lol: doo doo), it will have to be metal only since including non metal would make it a pretty vague and pointless list. Metal/non-metal decision would be made by a majority vote by anyone who cares to pick a side.

idrinkwine732
11-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Not even any Mastodon on your list?

IrritatedTrout
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
1. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
2. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
3. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
4. Kamelot - Epica
5. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
6. Bruce Dickinson - A Tyranny of Souls
7. Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
8. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
9. Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
10. Blaze Bayley - The Tenth Dimension

Natrlhi
11-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I can't even agree with these.

Meaning that there is nothing on there that you would place in a top ten of 2000's list, or just that neither list is exactly the same ten that you would pick? Surely there is some stuff on both that you liked a great deal...:confused:

idrinkwine732
11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Am I the only one here that thinks Crack the Skye is better than Blood Mountain?

DethMaiden
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one here that thinks Crack the Skye is better than Blood Mountain?

Maybe. I think Leviathan is on a level all its own, Blood Mountain is a fairly close second, and then Remission and Crack the Skye are of a similar quality level - awesome, but not masterpieces.

idrinkwine732
11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Leviathan is far and away their best to me, but I couldn't ever get into Blood Mountain as much as I could Crack the Skye or Remission.

MPF
11-15-2009, 01:35 PM
My Personal Top 10 Metal Albums Of The 00's:

10. Gojira- From Mars To Sirius
9. Torche- Meanderthal
8. Iced Earth- Horror Show
7. Dream Theater- Train of Thought
6. Amon Amarth- With Oden On Our Side
5. Cynic- Traced In Air
4. Mastodon- Crack The Skye
3. Opeth- Blackwater Park
2. Betwen The Buried And Me- Colors
1. Devin Townsend- Terria

Maiden33
11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
7. Dream Theater- Train of Thought

I don't know whether I'm more inclined to ask "Why?", "How?", or "WTF?!?".

Maiden33
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
10. Blaze Bayley - The Tenth Dimension

GREAT album, very underrated. Silicon Messiah is right up there too.

Maiden33
11-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll be posting a voting thread for this after the 2009 voting is done (January 15th-ish).

Haha, another thing Brad and I talked about.

mastodon421
11-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Personally I think Blood Mountain is their finest work. I think it blends together their heavy and proggy material perfectly.

TonyD
11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Meaning that there is nothing on there that you would place in a top ten of 2000's list, or just that neither list is exactly the same ten that you would pick? Surely there is some stuff on both that you liked a great deal...:confused:
Yes

Not even any Mastodon on your list?

I do agree with things like Leviathan and Nothing, but it was just Blue Record and Killswitch that were sticking out like a sore thumb to me.

I don't even want to think about putting this together yet, but the shoo-ins would be Red Album and Leviathan

xStructualDefect
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
my favorites, in no order and IMO

COB - Follow the Reaper
Unearth - Oncoming Storm
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
In Flames - Clayman
Kalmah - Swampsong
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Static X - Machine
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Korn - Untouchables

Wizzbang11
11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
This is unbelievably difficult. Not in order.

Blood Freak- Sleaze Merchants
Sodom- M-16
Bolt Thrower- Those Once Loyal
Toxic Holocaust- Evil Never Dies
Impaled- Mondo Medicale
Cattle Decapitation- To Serve Man
Municipal Waste- Hazardous Mutation
Ghoul- Maniaxe
Insect Warfare- World Extermination
Impetigo- Live Total Zombie Gore Holocaust

idrinkwine732
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
it was just Blue Record and Killswitch that were sticking out like a sore thumb to me.

Yeah, That Killswitch album is completely the outlier, but I think it's great.

zgodt
11-15-2009, 06:49 PM
mastodon – leviathan
system of a down – toxicity
opeth – blackwater park
between the buried and me – the great misdirect
baroness – blue record
anthrax – we've come for you all
dillinger escape plan – ire works
the fall of troy – manipulator
cephalic carnage - xenosapien
in flames – come clarity

i like the last 3 maiden albums too.

zgodt
11-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, That Killswitch album is completely the outlier, but I think it's great.

most metalheads seem to hate killswitch something fierce, but i think they can be pretty fun.

MPF
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't know whether I'm more inclined to ask "Why?", "How?", or "WTF?!?".

Why?- Besides Metallica, this was my first Metal album. So it's always going to have a place in my favorite albums.

How?- I bought Dream Theater's TOT and Opeth's Deliverance the same day after taking some advice on getting into Progressive Metal. It took me almost a year after buying Deliverance that I actually started to appreciate them. Opeth was the first band I discovered with Growls. With TOT, I loved it from the second I heard it.

WTF?!?- TOT isn't my favorite Dream Theater album, but like I said, it got me into Progressive Metal and for that reason it's in my "personal" top ten Metal albums of the 00's.

kornisdabomb
11-16-2009, 06:22 AM
1)system of a down toxicity
2)metallica death magnetic
3)korn take a look in the mirror
4)dethklok dethalbum 1
5)disturbed the sickness
6)machine head the bleackening
7)megadeth endgame
8)mastadon blood mountain
9)children fo bodom hate crew death troll
10)rob zombie sinister urge

Top ten not metal
1)creed weathered
2)limp bizkit chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavored water
3)nine inch nails year zero
4)nine inch nails with teeth
5)alice in chains black gives way to blue
6)boombox visions of backbeat
7)dave matthews band big whisky
8)phish farmhouse
9)stp shangri la dee da
10)daft punk alive 2007

DethMaiden
11-16-2009, 06:26 AM
1)system of a down toxicity
2)metallica death magnetic
3)korn take a look in the mirror
4)dethklok dethalbum 1
5)disturbed the sickness
6)machine head the bleackening
7)megadeth endgame
8)mastadon blood mountain
9)children fo bodom hate crew death troll
10)rob zombie sinister urge

Top ten not metal
1)creed weathered
8)phish farmhouse
9)stp shangri la dee da
10)daft punk alive 2007

:confused: Wrong list bro.

Clayman01
11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
After a quick run through my iPod:

10. Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of 1000 Suns
9. Ensiferum - Ensiferum
8. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
7. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
6. Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
5. Wintersun - Wintersun
4. Enslaved - Ruun
3. Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
2. In Flames - Clayman
1. Opeth - Blackwater Park

xStructualDefect
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM

i don't understand how you wouldn't consider Sinister Urge a metal album. and Korn, SOAD, and Disturbed are all considered metal, but under the nu-metal genre if anything.

DethMaiden
11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
i don't understand how you wouldn't consider Sinister Urge a metal album. and Korn, SOAD, and Disturbed are all considered metal, but under the nu-metal genre if anything.

I love Rob Zombie, but I've never been able to call him metal in good conscience. White Zombie, sure, why not, but Rob runs the spectrum of industrial hard rock to regular hard rock. Just not quite metal (imo).

zgodt
11-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh, stop actin' all tr00.

And seriously -- if Toxicity isn't metal, what the hell is it?

powerslave_85
11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Deeply disappointed that Terrifyer didn't make anyone's list.

xStructualDefect
11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I love Rob Zombie, but I've never been able to call him metal in good conscience. White Zombie, sure, why not, but Rob runs the spectrum of industrial hard rock to regular hard rock. Just not quite metal (imo).

ahh i see. Sinister Urge was the second album i ever purchased when i was nine years old, so i've always considered it a metal album. i still think it is today.

DethMaiden
11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Oh, stop actin' all tr00.

And seriously -- if Toxicity isn't metal, what the hell is it?

A spazzy-ass rock record, but still a rock record. IMO!

Dextrimental
11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Dethmaiden, stop splitting hairs! This is the exact kinda bullshit that fuels stupid ignorant fights.

DethMaiden
11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Dethmaiden, stop splitting hairs! This is the exact kinda bullshit that fuels stupid ignorant fights.

:snivel: :snivel: But...but I'm so metal.

SomewhereInTime72
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
A spazzy-ass rock record, but still a rock record. IMO!

Toxicity is way metal.

JuuKun
11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Only one album per band, the most important/best (to me) metal albums of the last decade...hm...

10. Moonspell - Night Eternal (2008)
9. Freak Kitchen - Organic (2005)
8. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy (2007)
7. Destruction - The Antichrist (2001)
6. God Dethroned - Passiondale (2009)
5. After Forever - Decipher (2001)
4. Sentenced - The Cold White Light (2002)
3. Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2001)
2. Edguy - Mandrake (2001) (Probably my favorite power metal album of all time, never mind the decade)
1. Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2002) (Aside from being an amazing album, this gets a nod as my Top Album of the Decade because of "Through Osiris' Eyes" being the first metal song I ever heard)

Though they're one of my favorite bands, I couldn't put any Behemoth album from the 2000's (as good as they are) down as one of my favorites of the decade - Satanica would have gotten a spot if it had been released a year later. There's a few others that I wanted to put down until I realized they were released in '99.

TonyD
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Regardless, nothing Rob Zombie has put out in this decade deserves to sniff this list.

Maiden33
11-16-2009, 05:04 PM
2. Edguy - Mandrake (2001) (Probably my favorite power metal album of all time, never mind the decade)
1. Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2002) (Aside from being an amazing album, this gets a nod as my Top Album of the Decade because of "Through Osiris' Eyes" being the first metal song I ever heard)

You sir, I like you.

Mandrake will be making my list as well. And I feel bad giving that Pagan's Mind record the shaft because it is pretty fucking great.

Dextrimental
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
:snivel: :snivel: But...but I'm so metal.

There, there, so is he, just a differnet kind of metal :)

Alright, suppose ill do a list.. just off the top of my head cuz im not arsed actually researching and structuring this stuff..

10) Morbid Angel - Heretic (Enshrined by Grace got me into Death Metal, that and Morbid Angel are fucking brutal as all hell)

9) Tool - 10,000 (This album is the sole reason I believe Mankvill fails at life)

8) Between the Buried and Me - Colors (Gets a low spot becuase its relatively new to me, but ask em this time next year Iv a funny feeling it'll be top three of this decade)

7) Trivium - Ascendancy (VERY important album to me growing up, and getting into metal)

6) Dream Theater - Train of Thought (FUCK YOU ;))

5) Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires (Again, FUCK YOU ;))

4) Iron Maiden - Brave New World (Nomad, my favorite Maiden song is on this, FUCK YES)

3) Pantera - Reinventing the Stell (Yesterday Don't Mean Shit)

2) Mastodon - Leviathan (Smell that? Its the smell of this band being better than you)

1) Slayer - God Hates Us All (This album, man its the epitomy of heavy metal to me, so brutal and awesome!!)

Honorable mentions:

Korn - Follow the Leader
Megadeth - Endgame, United Abominations
Testament - Formation of Dmanation
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Slipknot - Self Titled, Vol. 3

SomewhereInTime72
11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Korn - Follow the Leader
Slipknot - Self Titled

sup 1990s

TonyD
11-16-2009, 07:12 PM
IMO:
Toxicity is a metal album. Mezmerize is better, but not a metal album.
God Hates Us All isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but I don't think it's #1 material either.
Nobody has even mentioned SYL's Alien yet. Dood wtf.
Blackwater Park will make the list, but Opeth might lose some ground because of a lack of consensus on a 2nd best 2000's album.

My contenders:
Any Mastodon :cool:
Ziltoid
Alien - SYL
Blessed Black Wings
Death is this Communion
Stronger Than Death - BLS
Meanderthal - Torche
Red Album
First/Second -Baroness
Static Tensions - Kylesa
Black Gives Way to Blue (metal?)
With Odin on Our Side
Hatecrew Deathroll
Traced In Air
Nothing
The Blackening
As the Palaces Burn
Endgame
Ithyphallic
Opeth...

mankvill
11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
IMO:
Toxicity is a metal album. Mezmerize is better, but not a metal album.

1. Yes, it is a metal album.
2. HELL NO. Hypnotize was better than Mezmerize.

Fires Of Sedition
11-17-2009, 12:14 AM
1. Whitechapel - This Is Exile
2. Emmure - Felony
3. Suicide Silence - The Cleansing
4. Rose Funeral - The Resting Sonata
5. The Acacia Strain - The Dead Walk
6. Arsonists Get All The Girls - Portals
7. Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings
8. Winds Of Plague - Decimate The Weak
9. See You Next Tuesday - Intervals
10. Converge - No Heroes
:cool:

Yes, I just looked ALL of that up on Wikipedia.

Dextrimental
11-17-2009, 06:27 AM
sup 1990s

Ha sorry, I confused year of discovery with year of release there... My bad.. and GHUA wouldnt be at the top if I actually sat down and thought about it.. But im lazy..

DethMaiden
11-17-2009, 06:30 AM
2. Emmure - Felony
10. Converge - No Heroes

I don't like any of those bands, but still...poor Converge. :snivel:

SomewhereInTime72
11-17-2009, 06:42 AM
2. Emmure - Felony
10. Converge - No Heroes

serious_face.jpg

Natrlhi
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Top ten not metal
1)creed weathered
8)phish farmhouse
9)stp shangri la dee da
10)daft punk alive 2007

:party::rocker::party:
Fuck yes, broski. Fuck yes. :fist:

Deeply disappointed that Terrifyer didn't make anyone's list.
It almost made mine. [ http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?p=237786#post237786 ] I had to choose between that and Phantom Limb because of my self-imposed requirement to pick only one album for any given band, and in the end I had to give it to Phantom Limb (even though Terrifyer is what made me fall in love with Pig Destroyer in the first place).

I don't like any of those bands, but still...poor Converge. :snivel:
Converge is really in a different category than the company it gets lumped in with sometimes (for example, Fire of Sedition's list). They have deep roots in hardcore punk, and some of their older material is really quite good (The Broken Vow, Homewrecker, Eagles Become Vultures, Drop Out). They do have some similar douchbag fans, though, so I think that's the reason why they get lumped in with all the deeathcore shit, but they really do not belong squarely in that category at all. Most folks who hate them would probably be pleasantly surprised if they really listened to Converge's entire catalog.

ravenheart
11-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Hmm, this is difficult, especially as a lot of my favourite albums aren't really metal...

I can say for sure that Halford's 'Resurrection' will be in mine... probably 'Train of Thought'... hmmm...

ravenheart
11-17-2009, 10:00 AM
OK, first stab. No order yet, and more than 10 at the moment, these are just the ones I'm considering. For the non-metal that's probably nearly the final list, just not in order.

Metal
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Halford - Resurrection
Iommi - Iommi
Ayreon - The Human Equation

---- dividing line between certain and undecided ----

Judas Priest - Demolition
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Black Label Society - Stronger Than Death
Arena - Immortal?
Blaze - Tenth Dimension
Slayer - God Hates Us All
Cathedral - The VIIth Coming OR The Garden of Unearthly Delights... haven't decided yet
Something by Nevermore...
Dio - Magica
Tarot - Crows Fly Black
Threshold - Hypothetical OR Subsurface OR Dead Reckoning
Yngwie Malmsteen - War To End All Wars
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Down - Over The Under
Queensryche - Tribe
Saxon - Lionheart

Non-Metal
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Sixx:A.M. - The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack
King Hobo - King Hobo
Amor - Amor
Gov't Mule - The Deep End Volume 1
Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity
Days of The New - Days of The New (Red)
Skid Row - Thickskin
Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin
Earthless - Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky
Gunfire 76 - Casualties And Tragedies
Thunder - Shooting At The Sun
Richie Kotzen - Into The Black

JuuKun
11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Nobody has even mentioned SYL's Alien yet. Dood wtf.

It came VERY close to being in mine, but couldn't get it in the top 10.

jhdeity
11-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Machine Head - The Blackening called and said WTF?

DethMaiden
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I have to say that I don't understand how Dance of Death isn't the best album they've done since the reunion for most of y'all. I think it's their best outside of the 1982-1988 run personally, which I realize is a bit extreme, but a lot of you guys have it as the worst of the last three? :hmm:

ravenheart
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Vapor Trails-Rush
Snales & Arrows- Rush

The rest of us are putting non-metal albums in a separate list.

xStructualDefect
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
2. Emmure - Felony
10. Converge - No Heroes

The Cleansing is actually not that bad i listen to it every now and then. This is Exile has some great tracks, and some really good lyrics. i respect Acacia Strain cuz they've been doing deathcore waay before it was a trend. but fuck the rest of those bands. especially Emmure and BMTH.

idrinkwine732
11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
^no.

Sanitarium78
11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Since I grew up with the metal of the late 80s and early 90s my list will have a more old school feel to it.

In no particular order

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Machine Head - The Blackening
Shadows Fall - The Art Of Balance
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden(mianly because of how awesome the Gettysburg Trilogy is)

Maiden33
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I have to say that I don't understand how Dance of Death isn't the best album they've done since the reunion for most of y'all. I think it's their best outside of the 1982-1988 run personally, which I realize is a bit extreme, but a lot of you guys have it as the worst of the last three? :hmm:

I rank it 3rd of 3, but that's not an insult to me. Brave New World is one of my favorite albums of all-time, and I love both A Matter of life and Death and Dance of Death, I just happen to favor Dance of Death a little less. That's all.

PowerMaiden
11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
my choices

10. Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
9. Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
8. Slayer - World Painted Blood
7. Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
6. Amon Amarth - Versus The World
5. System Of A Down - Toxicity
4. Slayer - God Hates Us All
3. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
2. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
1. Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

es156
11-17-2009, 07:57 PM
my choices

10. Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
9. Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
8. Slayer - World Painted Blood
7. Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
6. Amon Amarth - Versus The World
5. System Of A Down - Toxicity
4. Slayer - God Hates Us All
3. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
2. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
1. Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Bodom above Maiden? Traitor!

;)

mastodon421
11-18-2009, 03:28 AM
2. Emmure - Felony
10. Converge - No Heroes

Awesome list man wicked brutal!!!!!!!!!! All kidding aside though i do like 4 of the 10 band listed there.

jhdeity
11-18-2009, 04:54 AM
To me the hardest thing about doing this is choosing Blood Mountain or Leviathan and Obzen or Nothing. Those are easily 4 of the best 5 albums of the past decade but I'd rather choose 1 and reward other bands.

PowerMaiden
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Bodom above Maiden? Traitor!

;)

hehehe, it was a hard decision but in all honestly with myself, that's the way I see it

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Wizzbang11
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
How did I not put in the puppet master I love king.

Because it's kind of a forgettable album, although I don't really know why I am answering that statement.

zgodt
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM

The title song alone is so painfully bad that it taints the entire album. That's before we even discuss Age of Innocence. Or repetitive choruses.

But still, I do love that album. :bliss:

Maiden33
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
The title song alone is so painfully bad that it taints the entire album. That's before we even discuss Age of Innocence. Or repetitive choruses.

But still, I do love that album. :bliss:

The title track is easily one of the best songs on the album, in my opinion. Actually, that's not just my opinion, you're probably the first person I've ever seen speak out against it. Age of Innocence on the other hand, was openly bashed by many, but I still like it quite a bit.

PowerMaiden
11-19-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah !?! Dance Of Death the song is so good best song of the album with Paschendale imho.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Indestructible
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Because it's kind of a forgettable album, although I don't really know why I am answering that statement.

But I like king and love that album so i shouldnt of forgotten it.

jhdeity
11-20-2009, 05:07 AM
I just picked the 10 best albums. They're all metal in some way to me. If I can headbang to it and go apeshit at a show, it qualifies. I've found some great music off of these lists so this list could change if cd's like Cobalt and BTBAM keep growing on me. As it stands today, here's what I got:

1) Machine Head - The Blackening
2) Mastodon - Leviathan
3) Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
4) Hed Pe - Broke
5) Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
6) Meshuggah - Obzen
7) Tool - Lateralus
8) Slayer - World Painted Blood
9) BFMV - Scream Aim Fire w/Ashes of the Innocent
10) System of a Down - Toxicity

Honorable mentions: Burst - Lazarus Bird, Sevendust - Animosity, Slipknot - Iowa & several incredible albums from these same bands.

Natrlhi
11-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I just picked the 10 best albums. They're all metal in some way to me. If I can headbang to it and go apeshit at a show, it qualifies. I've found some great music off of these lists so this list could change if cd's like Cobalt and BTBAM keep growing on me. As it stands today, here's what I got:

2) Mastodon - Leviathan
4) Hed Pe - Broke
6) Meshuggah - Obzen
7) Tool - Lateralus

Honorable mentions: Burst - Lazarus Bird, Sevendust - Animosity, Slipknot - Iowa & several incredible albums from these same bands.

:party: attaboy :party:

zgodt
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
The title track is easily one of the best songs on the album, in my opinion. Actually, that's not just my opinion, you're probably the first person I've ever seen speak out against it.
Huh. Trust me, I'm not the only one who finds it lacking. The song is unbearably cheesy. It's as if they tried to emulate "Stonehenge" by Spinal Tap without realizing it was a joke.

DethMaiden
11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Huh. Trust me, I'm not the only one who finds it lacking. The song is unbearably cheesy. It's as if they tried to emulate "Stonehenge" by Spinal Tap without realizing it was a joke.

But it has nice, hummable melodies throughout, and Maiden have never been a lyrics band so I barely care that Bruce "danced and pranced". I think it's easily in the top half of the album. The only possible lowlight is "Gates of Tomorrow", which grew on me immensely in the last year or so.

Leviathan
11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
No specific order.

Napalm Death- Time Waits for No Slave
Pig Destroyer- Terrifyer
Akercocke- Antichrist
Deathevokation- Chalice of Ages
High on Fire- Death is this Communion
Nachtmystium- Assassins: Black Meddle Part 1
Mastodon- Leviathan
High on Fire- Surrounded By Thieves
Pig Destroyer- Phantom Limb

Impossible choice to narrow down.

Michael515616
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
In no particular order...

Slipknot- Iowa
Metallica- Death Magnetic
Lamb of God- Wrath
Avenged Sevenfold- Waking the Fallen
Machine Head- The Blackening
Iron Maiden- Dance of Death
System of a Down- Toxicity
Rammstein- Reise, Reise
Five Finger Death Punch- War is the Answer
Cradle of Filth- Midian

zgodt
12-04-2009, 05:29 AM
But it has nice, hummable melodies throughout, and Maiden have never been a lyrics band so I barely care that Bruce "danced and pranced". I think it's easily in the top half of the album. The only possible lowlight is "Gates of Tomorrow", which grew on me immensely in the last year or so.
Well, "Gates of Tomorrow" has always been one of my favorites on the album. :bliss:

Mancubus
12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm doing a top 100 list. Comment on Spinelanguage.wordpress.com

You won't see my top 10 until the end of the month but trust me when I say that each album I list is a masterpiece.

Natrlhi
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
No specific order.

Pig Destroyer- Terrifyer
Akercocke- Antichrist
Mastodon- Leviathan

While I do find it interesting that somebody else on here is into Akercocke, I really didn't find Antichrist that compelling. I like where your head's at with nearly all the other selections, though. I think my list had at least two in common with yours (Leviathan and Phantom Limb), and I'm also a big fan of Terrifyer and all HoF albums (although I think I picked Blessed Black Wings over the others for my list). W00t to the Nachtmystium as well - that album gets better every time I listen to it!

DethMaiden
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
No specific order.

Pig Destroyer- Terrifyer
Akercocke- Antichrist
Mastodon- Leviathan

Haha, do you write for Decibel or something? ;) Eight of these are on their list.

mankvill
12-07-2009, 11:35 AM
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Impaled - Mondo Medicale

um

8 others

DethMaiden
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Impaled - Mondo Medicale

um

8 others

The Codex Negro? :dorky:

Natrlhi
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
:agree: Yup.

mankvill
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
The Codex Negro? :dorky:

1. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
2. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
3. Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty and All The Devils Are Here
4. Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
5. Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
6. Anaal Nathrakh - Domine Non Es Dignus
7. Anaal Nathrakh - When Fire Rains Down From The Sky, Mankind Will Reap As It Has Sown (EP)
8. Anaal Nathrakh - Total Fucking Necro (Compilation)
9. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
10. Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water

bassmasta257
12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
No specific order.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bassmasta257
12-11-2009, 03:34 PM
10) Enthroned-Black Goat Ritual: Live In Thy Flesh
9) Deicide-Insineratehymn
8) Nachtmystium-Assasins: Black Meddle Part 1
7) Decapitated-Winds of Creation
6) Belphegor-Walpurgis Rites: Hexenwahn
5) Nile-Annihilation Of The Wicked
4) Eluveitie-Slania
3) God Dethroned-Bloody Blasphemy (I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF IT WAS 1999!!!!!)
2) Taake-...Doedskvad
1) Amon Amarth-With Oden On Our Side:rocker:

jhdeity
12-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Since I grew up with the metal of the late 80s and early 90s my list will have a more old school feel to it.

In no particular order

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Machine Head - The Blackening
Shadows Fall - The Art Of Balance
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden(mianly because of how awesome the Gettysburg Trilogy is)

One of the most underrated cd's out there

Leviathan
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
While I do find it interesting that somebody else on here is into Akercocke, I really didn't find Antichrist that compelling. I like where your head's at with nearly all the other selections, though. I think my list had at least two in common with yours (Leviathan and Phantom Limb), and I'm also a big fan of Terrifyer and all HoF albums (although I think I picked Blessed Black Wings over the others for my list). W00t to the Nachtmystium as well - that album gets better every time I listen to it!

I really like Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone but antichrist just has some incredibly well written songs and I think the vocals are just plain wicked. Akercocke kills it British blackened death metal done right

Leviathan
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Haha, do you write for Decibel or something? ;) Eight of these are on their list.

i enjoy a lot of their selections i just got my top 100 but I get sick of them spamming a lot of bands like their Converge worship, Baroness was good but not as incredible as they place it
I can't stop changing my mind on a lot of things

Natrlhi
12-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Baroness was good but not as incredible as they place it
Now that's enough of that crazy fuckin' talk. :nonono:

mankvill
12-23-2009, 09:06 PM
My personal pick for Top 5 metal bands of the decade (in no order):

Anaal Nathrakh
Impaled
Mastodon
Converge
Arsis

DethMaiden
12-23-2009, 09:31 PM
My personal pick for Top 5 metal bands of the decade (in no order):

Anaal Nathrakh
Impaled
Mastodon
Converge
Arsis

Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Mouth of the Architect, Iron Maiden

Tentative.

Leviathan
12-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Now that's enough of that crazy fuckin' talk. :nonono:

I don't know about crazy talk man. It was a really seamless record but their was way to many things that overshadowed it this year

Dextrimental
12-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Five metal bands of the decade?

Iron Maiden
Trivium
Slayer
Mastodon
Lamb of God
Slipknot too, butthey're a special mention :P

Death Metal bands of the decade? Whole other story!

Akercocke
Morbid Angel
Nile
Obituary
Warpath (Irish band, doing really well in Europe atm)

LEOFLOYD
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
10.Gojira - From Mars to Sirius

9.King Diamond - The Puppet Master

8.Grave - Back from the Grave

7.Sodom- M-16

6.Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

5.Manowar - Warriors Of The World

4.Slayer - God hates us all

3.municipal waste - The Art Of Partying

2.Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

1.Iron maiden - brave new world

beyondtheblack
12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Top 15

Halford - Resurrection and Spiral Architect belong in the past decade (1991-2000)

Gary Numan - Jagged
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
Moonspell - Memorial
Ihsahn - angL
Enslaved - Ruun
Melechesh - Sphynx
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Samael - Solar Soul
Kamelot - Ghost Opera
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Unleashed - Midvinterblot
Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Indestructible
12-20-2010, 08:10 AM
1. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
2. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
3. Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
4. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
5. Shadows Fall - Retribution
6. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
7. Machine Head - The Blackening
8. King Diamond - The Puppet Master
9. Iced Earth - Horror Show
10. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

jhdeity
12-20-2010, 08:28 AM

2) Mastodon - Leviathan
4) Hed Pe - Broke
6) Meshuggah - Obzen
7) Tool - Lateralus

I was wondering if my list has changed at all and low and behold it has. High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings and Burst - Lazarus Bird would be my new 11 & 12 but neither has received enough listens to crack my Top 10. BTBAM - Colors would clock in at lucky #13. My new & Improved Top 10:

2) Mastodon - Leviathan
4) Tool - Lateralus
6) Meshuggah - Obzen
7) Cobalt - Gin
8) Hed PE - Broke
9) System of a Down - Toxicity
10) Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

JLRedWing13
12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Good moves getting WPB and Scream Aim Fire off that list. ;)

Natrlhi
12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Good moves getting WPB and Scream Aim Fire off that list. ;)

Agreed, but High on Fire and Burst both need to be on it, so the list is still fail (as the kids say these days). ;)

beyondtheblack
12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
One album per band, isn't it?!

I have omitted a lot...

Havoc Unit - h.IV+ (Hoarse Industrial Viremia)
...and Oceans - Cypher
Ajattara - Kuolema
Khold - any
Aeternus - Hexaeon
Grimness - Trust in Decay
Sulphur - Thorns in Existence
Ephel Duath - any
1349 - Revelations of the Black Flame
Bizarra Locomotiva - Album Negro

The_jman
12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=beyondtheblack;324457]Top 15

Halford - Resurrection and Spiral Architect belong in the past decade (1991-2000)

Gary Numan - Jagged
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones (does this really count? its 2010)

Kamelot - Ghost Opera (Really?)
s