PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Iron Maiden reveal they have started writing NEW songs!

Travis The Dragon
11-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Iron Maiden, who won band of the year, revealed they had already started writing songs for their 15th studio album.
"We're going to Paris for three weeks to work on some new stuff," guitarist Janick Gers told the BBC.
"The most important thing for a band is to create new music, otherwise you're not valid - you become a parody."Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8338887.stm

:party: YES! YES! YES! I can't wait! :party:

rjturtle9
11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I hope they write another Dance of Death, and not another A Matter of Life and Death

ravenheart
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I hope they write another Dance of Death, and not another A Matter of Life and Death

This.

mankvill
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I hope they write another Powerslave, and not another A Matter of Life and Death

A+

DethMaiden
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Ugh, they're only writing? We're not getting this album until late 2010.

The Ancient Mariner
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I hope they write another Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, and not another A Matter of Life and Death

;)

ADD
11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Makes sense, I remember Bruce saying something along the lines of "Next time we'll be seeing you in winter indoors." It's in line with the cycle of the last 2 albums, both came out in the fall then they get around to playing here in January/February (2011 this time).

And this news is good news of the highest order :horns:

Indestructible
11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
This album will be good because they have only had to bad ones.

Maiden33
11-06-2009, 03:23 PM

You fail to realize how long the Maiden album process actually takes these days. If they start recording by February, a summer release is still not only possible, but likely. A Matter of life and Death recording sessions started in early '06 (February I think), we had the album at the end of August.
The general expected time frame for release (to the best of my knowledge) is August-September, and barring unforeseen changes, I expect that to remain. They'll finish the album by the start of the summer, go out and do the hits tour they've mentioned, and then drop the new album around the time it ends, much like Give Me Ed prior to Dance of Death.

And god damn, I will still fight this fight: There is nothing wrong with A Matter of life and Death. It's not one of their best works, that's no question, but I think it's easily generally on par with Dance of Death. I don't understand how when the album came out, everyone liked it, but now everywhere I turn (not everywhere, just around here), everyone wants to slam it as being lackluster and weak. I have my complaints as well, but no more than I had of Dance of Death, and I still think both are fine albums.

ADD
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Nobody makes rock music quite like Maiden does. Whine about their formula all you want, but no imitations compare. I'm really stoked for another hour of acoustic intros, epic and catchy choruses, solos you can hum, and acoustic outros (not being facetious at all).

mankvill
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
And god damn, I will still fight this fight: There is nothing wrong with A Matter of life and Death. It's not one of their best works, that's no question, but I think it's easily generally on par with Dance of Death. I don't understand how when the album came out, everyone liked it, but now everywhere I turn (not everywhere, just around here), everyone wants to slam it as being lackluster and weak. I have my complaints as well, but no more than I had of Dance of Death, and I still think both are fine albums.

I like AMOLAD a lot!

ravenheart
11-06-2009, 03:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with A Matter of life and Death.

Didn't say there was. 'Dance of Death' is just better. Much better.

DethMaiden
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Didn't say there was. 'Dance of Death' is just better. Much better.

This is my position. There's only two bad Maiden albums, but AMOLAD wasn't the album DOD was.

b_halperin
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

:cool:

PowerMaiden
11-06-2009, 04:24 PM
great news !

Up The Fucking Irons !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

IrritatedTrout
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Heard about this the other day, very excited. In addition to this little tidbit, Caveman Shirley has recently posted on his facebook page that new Iron Maiden news is coming soon.

Oh, and just for the record, AMOLAD is a motherfucking masterpiece.:finger:

JRA
11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm really stoked for another hour of acoustic intros and acoustic outros (not being facetious at all).

I could live the rest of my life without Maiden playing that crap ever, ever, ever, ever again.

Dextrimental
11-06-2009, 10:20 PM
If it sounds like Powerslave or anything of that nature Im happy. Wasn't a fan of AMOLAD if Im honest, but hey, Maiden is still Maiden :D

idrinkwine732
11-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I just want some more Maiden, AMOLAD did not satisfy me.

TonyD
11-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Excuse me but
http://www.metalmartyr.com/files/2008/12/dave-mustaine-nc.jpg
What the fuck is this?

IrritatedTrout
11-07-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130002

It's up on Blabbermouth now.

I have no doubt that the album will be great, the real question is will it be the last? Steve's always said that he envisioned 15 albums and this is the longest gap between albums they've ever had.

And if I had to make a guess, I'd say the new album won't sound like Powerslave, NOTB, or PoM. Sure they could always suddenly have a big style change (a la SiT) but it seems like their mind's are set on the proggier type stuff that they've been writing since the reunion. It's not like I'm doing anything more than guesswork but I would be willing to wager that the closest thing we'll ever get to the early 80's material is Brave New World.

I could live the rest of my life without Maiden playing that crap ever, ever, ever, ever again.

I live for that shit!:lol:

Dextrimental
11-07-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130002

It's up on Blabbermouth now.

I have no doubt that the album will be great, the real question is will it be the last? Steve's always said that he envisioned 15 albums and this is the longest gap between albums they've ever had.

And if I had to make a guess, I'd say the new album won't sound like Powerslave, NOTB, or PoM. Sure they could always suddenly have a big style change (a la SiT) but it seems like their mind's are set on the proggier type stuff that they've been writing since the reunion. It's not like I'm doing anything more than guesswork but I would be willing to wager that the closest thing we'll ever get to the early 80's material is Brave New World.

I live for that shit!:lol:

Im gonna hafta agree come to think of it, they have always pushed their own boundaries, and they wouldn't want to re-thread old steps. As long as it has more spring in its step than AMOLAD, Ill be a very happy man. And, am I the only one whose also very excited to see the artwork for the album too? ;)

JRA
11-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Im gonna hafta agree come to think of it, they have always pushed their own boundaries, and they wouldn't want to re-thread old steps.

Which is exactly my point. They've been retreading the same steps since 1995.

IrritatedTrout
11-07-2009, 11:01 AM
And, am I the only one whose also very excited to see the artwork for the album too? ;)

Oh, I'm very excited. With the recent Derek Riggs collaboration for Flight 666, maybe we'll finally see another album cover done by Riggs?

ADD
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, I'm very excited. With the recent Derek Riggs collaboration for Flight 666, maybe we'll finally see another album cover done by Riggs?
That would really be nice, especially if this is indeed the last album it'd be fitting to have him do the art. It goes without saying that Maiden is the one band whose artwork has been most integral to their success.

Maiden33
11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Which is exactly my point. They've been retreading the same steps since 1995.

Not true. Every Maiden album since The X Factor has been different, and I hate when people say they're all the same. Obviously the quality differs, but they have been changing the formula with each one. It's all just elaborations of the same general format, but there's subtle differences. To say Maiden have been rehashing the same exact junk since '95 is untrue.

Travis The Dragon
11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Not true. Every Maiden album since The X Factor has been different, and I hate when people say they're all the same. Obviously the quality differs, but they have been changing the formula with each one. It's all just elaborations of the same general format, but there's subtle differences. To say Maiden have been rehashing the same exact junk since '95 is untrue.

I completely agree. In fact, I feel that's true for every album they have.

Butcher of Birth
11-07-2009, 09:24 PM
If it's on Par with Dance of Death I'll be happy, but I doubt it will match Brave New World for me personally.

I'm just not that big-a-fan of proggy songs, but besides that fact AMOLAD is a great album. The Longest Day has to be my favorite, close to that is Lord of Light.

powerslave_85
11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
It is a new Maiden album, which means I will be looking forward to it immensely :fist:

Butcher of Birth
11-08-2009, 07:58 AM
It is a new Maiden album, which means I will be looking forward to it immensely :fist:

Or as your Sub-Text simply puts it... GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

JRA
11-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Then explain the differences between each one since then. Aside from the fact that Bruce and Adrian come back on Brave New World.

Maiden33
11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Then explain the differences between each one since then. Aside from the fact that Bruce and Adrian come back on Brave New World.

Well, I suppose if you really are listening and you can't hear any differences, no amount of textual explanation will change that, but in short:
The X Factor is certainly the emotional, brooding album, especially being that it starts with a slow, epic song, which alone makes it different from every other Maiden album. Brave New World and Dance of Death are both very orchestral albums by nature, Dance of Death being the most uptempo of the 5 albums in question (5 uptempo songs I believe). A Matter of life and Death is certainly the most progressive album of the 5 (though The X Factor is a good bit in its own right), with the majority of the songs being rather lengthy, and structurally a bit different than what you might expect from Maiden. Granted, there's no huge curve balls, but A Matter of life and Death had a number of songs that didn't structurally do what you'd expect from Maiden. There's also some experimentation with chord changes and key changes that are a bit atypical of Maiden in general. I also think one thing that makes the albums seem different is the fact that each album's production is pretty much drastically different from the rest.

SomewhereInTime72
11-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Granted, there's no huge curve balls, but A Matter of life and Death had a number of songs that didn't structurally do what you'd expect from Maiden.

I think Lord of Light and The Legacy come pretty close to being 'curve balls'.

ADD
11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I think Lord of Light and The Legacy come pretty close to being 'curve balls'.

If I was the producer I would've told them to start Lord of Light right from when the heavy metal riff comes in and totally ditch that slow intro which would then have more effect when it comes in like a bridge section later in the song.

Div
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
If I was the producer I would've told them to start Lord of Light right from when the heavy metal riff comes in and totally ditch that slow intro which would then have more effect when it comes in like a bridge section later in the song.

i think they should have done more with that little riff in the beginning (2:25). its pretty catchy and only using it once in the song seems like a waste, especially sense the rest of the song doesnt really have many parts like that.

SomewhereInTime72
11-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Besides the chorus, nothing in LoL (lovin' the acronym) repeats itself at all, unless you count the melody in the beginning to be the same as when it plays HEAVY MODE. I think that's pretty cools. And the solo section manages to be totally out-there for Maiden, yet simultaneously keep the feel of classic Maiden instrumental sections. Probably my favorite song on AMOLAD, but they're all so good. I'll never understand the bashing of that album. :lovedup:

IrritatedTrout
11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Probably my favorite song on AMOLAD, but they're all so good. I'll never understand the bashing of that album. :lovedup:

:horns:

This man gets it.

Maiden33
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
unless you count the melody in the beginning to be the same as when it plays HEAVY MODE. I think that's pretty cools.

The aforementioned riff in "heavy mode" = awesome. Best part of the song if you ask me. It's still oamong my least favorites on the album, but I consider AMOLAD to be Maiden's most conistant work outside of Somewhere In Time.