PDA

View Full Version : Supporting a big act or headlining yourself?

Dextrimental
10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Ok, so, The Haunted recently cancelled a headlining UK run in order to support Slayer on their UK headlining run. Now of course this wrong, and a kick in the teeth for the hardcore Haunted fans who wanted to see their favorite band in an intimite venue do a headlining set.

But it got me thinking, say you have two options for your band, you can support a bigger act, who will play bigger venues and bring in a bigger crowd, or you can headline yourself, playing smaller venues with less advertising, what would you do? I mean the headlining run is your own show, with a longer set list and your own fanbase, but the support slot means playing to more people, and possibly selling more merch etc. too.

Opinions?

:)

mankvill
10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, so, The Haunted recently cancelled a headlining UK run in order to support Slayer on their UK headlining run. Now of course this wrong, and a kick in the teeth for the hardcore Haunted fans who wanted to see their favorite band in an intimite venue do a headlining set.

But it got me thinking, say you have two options for your band, you can support a bigger act, who will play bigger venues and bring in a bigger crowd, or you can headline yourself, playing smaller venues with less advertising, what would you do? I mean the headlining run is your own show, with a longer set list and your own fanbase, but the support slot means playing to more people, and possibly selling more merch etc. too.

Opinions?

:)

I can't think off the top of my head of bands who canceled a headlining gig to support another band, but I know that Warbringer went off as direct support for Vader to open for Megadeth.

SomewhereInTime72
10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
I think it would depend on the personal preferences of the band.

Honestly, if The Haunted are huge fans of Slayer, the opportunity to tour with Slayer would feel like a miracle. Imagine being in the band, I would probably rather get the chance to play before FUCKING SLAYER than headline my own shit.

Think of the Metal Masters tour last year. Every single one of those bands could easily have done their own headlining tour in summer. But they didn't, and there's a lot of possible reasons why. It worked out. :cool:

JRA
10-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Honestly, if The Haunted are huge fans of Slayer, the opportunity to tour with Slayer would feel like a miracle. Imagine being in the band, I would probably rather get the chance to play before FUCKING SLAYER than headline my own shit.

Except for the fact that Slayer's fans are assholes and will boo you off the stage if you aren't them.

ChildrenofSodom
10-31-2009, 08:02 PM
This question was on the LSAT a few years ago.

rjturtle9
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
It really depends on which band are offering you the spot

Dextrimental
11-01-2009, 01:07 AM
True, it does depend on the options for the band, but as far as I know, The Haunted have kept their head above water in the UK with regards headlining shows, and this isn't the unholy alliance so its not like a package tour or anything.

I can't think off the top of my head of bands who canceled a headlining gig to support another band, but I know that Warbringer went off as direct support for Vader to open for Megadeth.

Well that makes a bit of sense, less setlist but way bigger venues and opening for Megadeth would have been a dream come true.

Ps. LSAT?

b_halperin
11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
I personally would choose to put on my own show, since the best shows I've ever been too have been the bands that aren't huge and are at a small, intimate, venue.

But, if someone told me my band was offered to tour with some legendary band who I envy or to play to my own crowd, then I'd have to reconsider.

Maiden33
11-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Based on my own experience, headline. I would rather play to a few hundred people who really knew and loved the music rather than a few thousand who just stood there and bobbed their heads because they had no idea who we were. The support of the audience has a huge effect on the quality of the performance, so I'd much rather play to a smaller, more enthusiastic audience.

I should note that this excludes Maiden. If the opportunity were ever on the table, I would take it without a moment's hesitation.

JuuKun
11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Another thing to take into consideration is how popular the band is in a particular area. Obviously a band like The Haunted might not have too much of a problem getting people into an appropriately-sized venue, but the choice is between playing to a few hundred fans, most of which are already familiar with your music, or playing bigger venues with a larger amount of potential fans in the audience who then might come out when you tour there again doing a headlining tour (and such more profitable in the long run).

Indestructible
11-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe they thought they could get more fans if they open for slayer. They will be playing to a bigger crowd and maybe alot of people there will like them and start getting in to their music. Then once they go out on their own headling tour there will be more people there.