PDA

View Full Version : Slayer vs. Megadeth

jhdeity
10-28-2009, 05:34 AM
With all the inevitable upcoming debating over Endgame vs. World Painted Blood I thought it would be interesting to debate each bands release in chronoligical order. Personally I have every Slayer cd rated over every Megadeth cd but that's just me. The only one that would be a 1st round KO would be Reign in Blood vs. So Far, So Good, So What and I've actually defended that cd on here several times. I just think RIB is the best cd of all time and I'll probably die thinking that barring a miracle Hail Mary.

When comparing cd's I did find it interesting that these bands put out cd's in the same year many times even though Megadeth was 1 behind Slayer at those times. For simplicity sake I left out Risk and Haunting the Chapel. If anyone would have Risk rated over the 3 songs on Haunting the Chapel that should be it's own flaming post. I think the most interesting matchups are Peace Sells vs. Hell Awaits, Countdown vs. Seasons, South of Heaven vs. Rust in Peace and the 2 new cd's. The Slayer cover cd vs. Cryptic and Christ Illusion vs. UA should garner some interesting opinions also. Here are the matchups. Let the debate begin...

1983 Show No Mercy vs. 1985 Killing is my Business

1985 Hell Awaits vs. 1986 Peace Sells

1987 Reign in Blood vs. 1988 So Far, So Good, So What

1988 South of Heaven vs. 1990 Rust in Peace

1990 Seasons in the Abyss vs. 1992 Countdown to Extinction

1994 Divine Intervention vs. 1994 Youthanasia

1996 Undisputed Attitude vs. 1997 Cryptic Writings

1998 Diabolus in Musica vs. 2001 The World Needs a Hero

2001 God Hates Us All vs. 2004 The System Has Failed

2006 Christ Illusion vs. 2007 United Abominations

2009 World Painted Blood vs. 2009 Endgame

IrritatedTrout
10-28-2009, 09:35 AM

1994 Divine Intervention vs. 1994 Youthanasia I do think DI is a really strong record though.

1996 Undisputed Attitude vs. 1997 Cryptic Writings Funny covers vs original material isn't much of a competition.

1998 Diabolus in Musica vs. 2001 The World Needs a Hero Both suck hard though.

2006 Christ Illusion vs. 2007 United Abominations I really like both of these though.

2009 World Painted Blood vs. 2009 Endgame N/A I'm waiting to buy WPB next week.

Good god, I didn't realize just how hard this would be. SoH vs. RiP is such a hard decision as both albums are my favorite by their respective band. Megadeth almost sweeps Slayer but some of these victories were solely based on one or two songs (World Needs A Hero and System Has Failed both barely eek out wins).

ravenheart
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Slayer win with Gods Hates Us All for me. The rest is Megadeth.

South of Heaven vs Rust In Peace was hard though.

1998 Diabolus in Musica vs. 2001 The World Needs a Hero Both suck hard though.

Not even close to true. Trying different things and staying heavy = win all day long.

Div
10-28-2009, 10:19 AM
some of these are pretty tough, but i think its safe to say megadeth's last three albums > slayer's last three albums (even though UA was bad, CI was even worse)

mankvill
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

SomewhereInTime72
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I would pick Megadeth in every matchup, with the exceptions of RiB vs. SFSGSW and Seasons vs. Countdown, which I would consider to be ties/way too close a call for me to make without thinking extensively about it. I haven't heard World Painted Blood, but I don't intend to, so it's not fair to give Megadeth a free win for Endgame I guess.

However, Megadeth has no album that corresponds with the Haunting the Chapel EP, which kicks tremendous amounts of ass. Free point for Slayer there. That said, after all these years, Megadeth are probably still my favorite thrash band and Slayer are... not.

Natrlhi
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Slayer wins hands down for me with the first five matchups, and also "god hates us all". The rest, I can't say because I haven't heard the Megadeth analogs. To be honest, my opinion is somewhat biased because I've never actually liked Megadeth all that much, but I just had to give a shout out for the first five Slayer albums plus GHUA.

Nice idea for a thread, though.

Indestructible
10-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Megadeth wins

Dextrimental
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
SLAYER

Megadeth rule, but SLAYER are my second favorite band ever. Theyve been the most consistent.

Indestructible
10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
All megadeth is better than new slayer

Butcher of Birth
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Megadeth for all. Slayer is utter thrash. Atonal is not my kinda musical liking. Wanking Solo's and Repetitive Riffs, where is the musicianship?

Megadeth Always and Forever. The Smart Metal Fan's Band ;)

mankvill
10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Slayer is utter thrash.

Indeed they are. Slayer uber alles! :fist:

Butcher of Birth
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Indeed they are. Slayer uber alles! :fist:

Sorry I meant "Trash". They are not good in the least.

Dextrimental
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
where is the musicianship?

a) dave lombardo, accomplished Jazz Drummer.

b) musicianship isnt everything

IrritatedTrout
10-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Megadeth for all. Slayer is utter thrash. Atonal is not my kinda musical liking. Wanking Solo's and Repetitive Riffs, where is the musicianship?

Megadeth Always and Forever. The Smart Metal Fan's Band ;)

I'll be the first to say that 99% of Slayer's solos are pure shit, but goddamn do they have some sexy riffs.:lovedup: Plus the druming is very good, and I find Araya to be a very good thrash vocalist, not so much nowadays but he's still ok.

b_halperin
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
YYYYYYYYYYYYYY
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Div
10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
You can't touch the first 5 slayer albums, theyre classic 80s thrash masterpieces... but slayer started sucking major balls after Seasons. to call slayer consistent is a false statement, unless it refers to them getting consistently worse. listen to songs like face the slayer, angel of death and hell awaits... then go and listen to world painted blood. MAJOR difference.

atleast dave is trying with megadeth, some of his ideas are bad (like UA) but he can still write a good album, as endgame proves.

rjturtle9
10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
arhhhh i don't want to compare these too :mad:

Dextrimental
10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
You can't touch the first 5 slayer albums, theyre classic 80s thrash masterpieces... but slayer started sucking major balls after Seasons. to call slayer consistent is a false statement, unless it refers to them getting consistently worse. listen to songs like face the slayer, angel of death and hell awaits... then go and listen to world painted blood. MAJOR difference.

atleast dave is trying with megadeth, some of his ideas are bad (like UA) but he can still write a good album, as endgame proves.

How are they inconsistent? Theyve ALWAYS been thrash, thrash drumming, thrash singing, thrash riffs. Theyve never released a Risk, like it or not theyve always released thrash albums. I love Megadeth, they're awesome, and the last two albums were great, but Slayer are more consistent with what they do, and World Painted Blood is a great album IMO.

And from the sounds of things you're one of those people that treats any of the big four as nostalgia acts.

SomewhereInTime72
10-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Slayer has been a horrible band since 1993, anyone who disagrees is in denial. :bliss:

Dextrimental
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Slayer has been a horrible band since 1993, anyone who disagrees is in denial. :bliss:

I disagree with that entirely. I know lots of people who love everything they've done.

powerslave_85
10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
In terms of overall consistency, Slayer wins hands down.

IrritatedTrout
10-29-2009, 10:30 AM
How are they inconsistent? Theyve ALWAYS been thrash, thrash drumming, thrash singing, thrash riffs. Theyve never released a Risk, like it or not theyve always released thrash albums.

While they've released more thrash albums than Megadeth (who, IMO haven't released one since RiP) they haven't all been thrash. Diabolus was too groove / nu metal to be called thrash and GHUA had a few thrashers but a lot of those nu metal elements.

Natrlhi
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
"god hates us all" would like to have a word with you.

A more accurate - certainly less polarizing - way to get the same point across would simply be to say that they've released some crappy stuff in the last decade and a half - that statement I would have had a lot less problem agreeing with.

zgodt
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Peace Sells is a best ever metal release, but otherwise I'd rate Slayer's overall output higher, up through Seasons in the Abyss. After that I haven't cared about a single thing either band has done.

DethMaiden
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Shit, out of the individual matchups, I can probably only in good conscience give Slayer Christ Illusion over United Abominations, but I don't really like either. Megadeth all the way.

But let it be noted that there are six Metallica releases that would trump their matchup with either band if they were included in this poll.

JRA
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Holy shit, I can't believe this insipid thread is still going. :hecho:

After 1991 both bands fell off a cliff. Mustaine, being jealous that Metallica had a #1 album, tried anything in his power to accomplish the same, and never recovered since then. Slayer, after realizing they are out of riffs (both slow and fast), so they decided to copy whatever trend was popular in metal, and have never recovered since then.

/thread.

SomewhereInTime72
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
"god hates us all" would like to have a word with you.

A more accurate - certainly less polarizing - way to get the same point across would simply be to say that they've released some crappy stuff in the last decade and a half - that statement I would have had a lot less problem agreeing with.
Well, I know what I said was a little bit TOO generalizing to be truthful.

I do think GHUA sucked overall. There have been a few great slayer songs from the past 15 years, but I could compile all of them into one good album's worth of songs.

Div
10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I know what I said was a little bit TOO generalizing to be truthful.

I do think GHUA sucked overall. There have been a few great slayer songs from the past 15 years, but I could compile all of them into one good album's worth of songs.

more like an EP

Dextrimental
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
more like an EP

Actually, Id have it as a four disc album with an EP that came with it. Bizarrely enough God Hates Us All is probably my favorite Slayer album. Its what got me into them, and its still one of the angriest albums I've ever heard. Diabolus is the only dodgey album they've released tbh, even then I do still like it :)

powerslave_85
10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
God Hates Us All has good music, but terrible lyrics.

Dextrimental
10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
God Hates Us All has good music, but terrible lyrics.

I like the lyrics to most of the songs, there are some crap ones though.

zgodt
10-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Holy shit, I can't believe this insipid thread is still going. :hecho:

After 1991 both bands fell off a cliff. Mustaine, being jealous that Metallica had a #1 album, tried anything in his power to accomplish the same, and never recovered since then. Slayer, after realizing they are out of riffs (both slow and fast), so they decided to copy whatever trend was popular in metal, and have never recovered since then.

/thread.

:fist:

jhdeity
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Insipid? Magic The Gathering called and want their vocabulary back. hahaha j/k

Seriously though this point is very relevant considerind Endgame and World Painted Blood are 2 of the most anticipated releases of the year and should be all over peoples Top 20 releases lists.

I knew going in that this board is very Power/Prog influenced and most of those people would vote Megadeth. I figured the old school thrash people would mostly vote Slayer but had no idea about everyone else.

I personally can agree with alot of whats written here. Endgame is Megadeth's best release since Symphony for me. That being said World Painted Blood smokes it. The main reason I recently learned is the drumming and tempo. Too many of the Endgame songs are the same exact speed and/or tempo. Even a song like 1,320 starts out blistering and really gets you going then has an unwanted visit by the plodmonster. Then it speeds up for 30 seconds then here comes the plodmonster again. Personally it gets to me.

If I were to go see both of thse cd's played live it wouldn't even be a contest. The Slayer songs would be so much more powerful and entertaining on every level. It would be fun to see the Megadeth solo's but that only gets you so far. Songs like the title track Endgame would have me texting chicks to meet up afterwards rather than jamming out.

I know most people haven't heard WPB yet and I'm not bagging on Endgame on it's own but compared to Slayer it's lacking. It'll still be in my Top 10 but at least a few spots below WPB. I'll go on record as saying World Painted Blood is Slayer's best cd since Divine Intervention and I can't wait to hear more of this shit live.

Also as hard as I tried I just can't rate Peace Sells over Hell Awaits. Both are Top 20 albums of all time to me but Hardening of the Arteries, Praise of Death, ADTS, Kill Again & Necrophilac have so much emotion and are so powerful live that I have to give it the nod. Add that to how "insipid" I Ain't Superstitious is and it might not even be as close as I have them...

TonyD
10-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Toss up

PowerMaiden
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
ok let's do this

1983 Show No Mercy vs. 1985 Killing is my Business = not even close

1985 Hell Awaits vs. 1986 Peace Sells = although Peace Sells is great

1987 Reign in Blood vs. 1988 So Far, So Good, So What = tie for me

1990 Seasons in the Abyss vs. 1992 Countdown to Extinction = pretty close though

1994 Divine Intervention vs. 1994 Youthanasia = 2 of the weakers album of each band but 213 is my 2 nd favourite Slayer song

1998 Diabolus in Musica vs. 2001 The World Needs a Hero = 2 prety decent albums

2001 God Hates Us All vs. 2004 The System Has Failed = GHUA is my favourite Slayer album, even though you can pick better songs on all their others album, overall this album is so brutally good , amazing

2006 Christ Illusion vs. 2007 United Abominations = mmmm both album are not that good you have Cult and Washington Is Next that are great from each side , il pick CI for Skeleton Christ, Jihad and Flesh Storm that are better than anything on UA

2009 World Painted Blood vs. 2009 Endgame =that one was easy

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dextrimental
10-31-2009, 04:16 PM
2001 God Hates Us All vs. 2004 The System Has Failed = GHUA is my favourite Slayer album, even though you can pick better songs on all their others album, overall this album is so brutally good , amazing

Props for that one man, its my favorite too :D Its such an angry brutal album, its jus so god dam heavy ass thrash metal!!

jhdeity
11-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm in the process of listening back through both catalogs. I'm going to try to do 2 a day to give a true comparison. Yesterday I did World Painted Blood and Endgame again. As much as Endgame is growing on me, I just can't rate it over WPB. If I were to create a cd of the best Megadeth music only 3 songs would make it off Endgame for me. The intro Dialectic Chaos which is a perfect way to start a cd, This Day We Fight! & Head Crusher.

Seriously if there were more songs like these on the cd it might be one of my favorites of all time. Unfortunately songs like 44 minutes, Bodies, Bite the Hand, Endgame & Sealed with a Kiss just don't pique my interest. I can't even picture those songs growing on me or ever wanting to hear them live.

On the other hand even some the worst songs on WPB seem like they might be fun to hear live. My least favorite song is Playing with Dolls but other than that I can picture some of these songs being incredible live and even songs like Americon & Human Strain which have taken a bashing not being hateful live.

To contradict the bashing of the WPB lyrics I leave you with the chorus to Bite the Hand...

When its dog eat dog, you are what you eat
Just like the mad dog that bites the hand that feeds
Like the mad dog that bites the hand that feeds
Just like the mad dog that bites the hand that feeds

Final Ratings:

World Painted Blood - 9.35
Endgame - 8.15

mankvill
11-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I honestly thought I was going to like Endgame a whole lot better than World Painted Blood, but now I don't know...

jhdeity
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Round 2 - Honestly when I 1st heard United Abominations I thought it was an Abomination. I hated it. If you go on amazon and listen to the 30 second clips, they're horrific. They must have picked the worst 30 seconds of each song especially Washington is Next. That being said some songs eventually grew on me but I don't like this album at all. There is zero speed on here and while the lyrics look intelligent on paper, they don't translate well vocally. If I were to make 2 80 minute cd's of Megadeth's best work, nothing from this cd would make either cd for me. It is severely lacking the tenacity that Endgame brought back and as a whole is very boring to listen to.

Christ Illusion including the bonus track won 2 Grammy's. That's crazy but true. This album is the 1st to feature Dave Lombardo since the classic Seasons in the abyss and it shows. The drumming on this cd is a 10! If you don't believe me, listen to it again. I just listened through this cd after 8 or 9spins of World Painted Blood and I'm thinking this cd was way better than I originally gave it credit for. It's fast as fukk, mixed well and 5 songs in I'm thinking it's a masterpiece. It slows down some but with Supremist and Final Six finishing it up strong it's much better than I originally gave it credit for. Flesh Storm, Catalyst, Jihad, Final Six, Skeleton Christ and Eyes of the Insane are all solid songs that would sound great live. Even the slower Catatonic and the early release Cult have their moments of genius. Dave Lombardo is back and beating the snot out of the kit. All hail!

This battle was a landslide for me. I feel like I've rediscovered some great music and can put the other cd on ebay.

Final Ratings:

Christ Illusion - 8.95
United Abominations - 4.75

jhdeity
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Everything happens for a reasonÖ I thought The System has Failed was the only Megadeth cd I didnít own so I checked a few places trying to get it cheap. What I didnít know is that I forgot about Warchest and when I saw a copy on Craigslist for $10, I went and got it 15 min later. Quite possibly the best $10 Iíve ever spent. The live tracks alone are worth $10, everything else is gravy.

So including live versions I have over half of this cd so I went on itunes and downloaded the other tunes minus the interlude songs. Wish I hadnít really.

Can anyone who voted TSHF over God Hates Us All explain why? Iím less interested in why not Slayer and why anyone would like TSHF so much? If youíre a guitar fan and love Satriani I might understand a little. Chris Poland returns and definitely shreds some solos. The song bashing Lars Ulrich looks great on paper but is almost unlistenable to me. Maybe I just donít get this era of Megadeth. I know this was Daveís 1st cd back from his hand injury but I have no problem with his playing but major problems with the songwriting. Kick the Chair has become a live staple and the only song I can say I honestly like on the cd. I hear some great solos in some really mediocre songs and that just doesnít do it for me.

God Hates Us All 3 songs in has already won this contest for me. Yeah there are some campy lyrics on here but there are some incredible lyrics also. I have the 2 bonus track version and like both songs better than some of the ďfillerĒ songs on here. This cd is 15 tracks and 10 or 11 are really entertaining songs. The vocals get to me a little and some of the slower tracks lose my interest but once again, this cd is better than I would have originally given it credit for. This was another Slayer slaughter for me. I can say that I might have Warchest rated over Soundtrack to the Apocalypse though. I HIGHLY recommend picking it up if you can find it cheap. Isnít it $60 at Best Buy?

Final Ratings:

The System Has Failed Ė 4.25
God Hates Us All (with Bonus Tracks) Ė 8.75

Bonus Rating: Warchest - 9.35

Rmeiselman
11-17-2009, 07:26 PM

1988 South of Heaven vs. 1990 Rust in Peace Both are amazing, but Rust is a classic.

jhdeity
12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
I stand corrected. Megadeth The World Needs a Hero edges out Slayer - Diabolus in Musica making it a first in my reviews.

I have both Japanese versions of these cd's with bonus tracks so since this was my 1st close battle since Endgame vs. World Painted Blood I'm glad I could analyze these cd's down to every last track.

The World Needs a Hero is 13 tracks with the bonus track "Coming Home" slotted in the 3rd song slot just ahead of Moto Psycho. Interesting.

This was Dave's "comeback" cd after the aberration otherwise known as Risk which made me think Dave would never see another hard earned dollar out of my pocket. He was smart to release Moto Psycho in a video game and get it out there in commercials. He also released a "Greatest Hits" cd introducing the world to another of the best tracks Dread and the Fugitive Mind before TWNaH was released. I give him credit here and the album as a whole works well. There are still a few clunkers in here but this album was such a step up from Risk that it earns a solid rating.

I knew going in that Diabolus was probably Slayer's worst studio album and has always been my least played Slayer item of any kind. That being said I really like a few songs on here. The Japanese version with bonus tracks is also 13 tracks and oddly enough a bonus track "Wicked" is my favorite track on the cd. Coincidentally it's the only Slayer song Paul Bostaph gets writing credits on leading me to believe it was one of his songs. Bitter Peace is another great song that became a live staple and Stain of Mind was pretty solid as the only single released from this cd. My 2nd favorite track off this cd is In the Name of God. It's a simplistic Kerry King song but it just works for me and is a great sing-a-long driving song. Ironically I remember Tom Araya and King fighting over the inclusion of this song on the cd. Maybe it was to boost album sales at the time but my respect level for Kerry King went up a solid notch for sticking to his guns. I guess Tom got the last laugh since I'm almost positive this song has never been performed live but it's a fun song regardless.

Overall 2 solid cd's. Even Slayer's worst going up against one of Megadeth's better recent offerings was really close for me. I gotta give this one to Dave for manning up and growing hair back on his sack though.

Final Ratings:

The World Needs a Hero (with Bonus Track) - 7.35
Diabolus in Musica (with Bonus Tracks) - 7.00

TonyD
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
The World Needs a Hero (with Bonus Track) - 7.35
Diabolus in Musica (with Bonus Tracks) - 7.00

I think we're missing the point.

jhdeity
12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I think we're missing the point.

On my initial post I honestly thought I would have every matchup rated in Slayer's favor. I'm listening to Cryptic Writings now and I'm thinking I might have 2 Megadeth's in a row so that's the revelation.

As far as the ratings go, I've now rated 4 Megadeth albums and would only recommend 2 of the 4 to even purchase. TWNaH would be 2nd to Endgame but still behind every Slayer I've reviewed except Diabolus.

Wizzbang11
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Slayer.

Sanitarium78
12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Megadeth wins for me. It's biased though since i've never cared much for Slayer I repect what they've done for the genre and they do have some good songs and RIB is a very good album but i've tried to get into them and I just can't for some reason.

Megadeth has always been a band i've been into as far back as I can remember and will always have a special place with me.