PDA

View Full Version : Between the Buried and Me/Cynic/Devin Townsend NA tour (?)

JuuKun
10-21-2009, 02:48 AM
BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME
CYNIC
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT
SCALE THE SUMMIT

January 8 Nashville, TN Rocketown
January 9 Atlanta, GA The Masquerade
January 10 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
January 11 Houston, TX Meridian
January 12 Dallas, TX The Prophet Bar (Big room)
January 13 San Antonio, TX The White Rabbit
January 15 Tempe, AZ The Clubhouse
January 16 San Diego, CA House of Blues
January 17 West Hollywood, CA House of Blues
January 18 San Francisco, CA Slimís
January 20 Denver, CO Cervantes
January 22 Louisville, KY Headliners Music Hall
January 23 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
January 24 Chicago, IL House of Blues
January 25 Cleveland, OH Peabodyís Downunder
January 26 Toronto, ON Opera House
January 27 Montreal, QC Club Soda
January 28 Boston, MA House of Blues
January 29 Clifton Park, NY Northern Lights
January 30 New York, NY The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza
January 31 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero
February 1 Baltimore, MD Sonar
February 3 St. Petersburg, FL State Theatre
February 6 Charlotte, NC The Fillmore

:eek: :eek: :drool: :drool:

Finally, Devin Townsend returns to touring :party:

January 28 Boston, MA House of Blues - I'M THERE for Cynic & Devy.

Jochen
10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Any tour that has Cynic is amazing, this is no exception. If this comes to Milwaukee, or Chicago while I'm off of school, I'm definitely going. I've heard nothing but good things about Devin Townsend and BTBAM, so it should be good.

ChildrenofSodom
10-21-2009, 05:29 AM
This would be an amazing show. Hope they come close.

Derelict
10-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Holy shit that would be awesome

DethMaiden
10-21-2009, 06:11 AM
WHAT

I need to see this.

DethMaiden
10-21-2009, 06:40 AM
This is probably the first date of the tour, because Cynic are playing Perth on January 7th. Honestly, I don't see how they're going to make it from Australia to the U.S. and onto a tour bus in 24 hours.

Derelict
10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
This is probably the first date of the tour, because Cynic are playing Perth on January 7th. Honestly, I don't see how they're going to make it from Australia to the U.S. and onto a tour bus in 24 hours.

Teleportation

HugeRockStar
10-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Those must just be listed in alphabetical order or something, Devin HAS to be headlining this. Hope he comes around here.

JuuKun
10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Those must just be listed in alphabetical order or something, Devin HAS to be headlining this. Hope he comes around here.

Haha. I never thought about it being alphabetical. Guess that's a possibility, but I'm not holding out for that. But, it seems weird to me that on his first tour back he'd be the second opener :eyes:

Derelict
10-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Devin played before Opeth and Nevermore when i saw him...i just dont think the sales are there for him to headline a solo tour

TonyD
10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
BTBAM headlining over Cynic AND Devin would be a crime.

MPF
10-21-2009, 12:41 PM
THis tour has to come to Minnesota. It just has to.

mankvill
10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
BTBAM headlining over Cynic AND Devin would be a crime.

BTBAM sells more records. :(

TonyD
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Over the past 12 months, yes. Collectively no.

ADD
10-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Nerd out rock!!! :shred: :rocker: :dorky:

mankvill
10-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Over the past 12 months, yes. Collectively no.

Remember, we're talking about Devin Townsend, not Strapping Young Lad!

Davemeistro
10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
THis tour has to come to Minnesota. It just has to.

I sure as hell hope it does because I wasnt able to get tickets for Meshuggah and Cynic before they sold out :(

MPF
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I sure as hell hope it does because I wasnt able to get tickets for Meshuggah and Cynic before they sold out :(

Damn same here. What sucks is I'm only an hour and 15 minutes from Station4 so I wish I had a better excuse not to get tickets.

I was fortunate enough to see BTBAM during the Colors Tour when they played the whole album live. I also seen BTBAM and Scale The Summit on their respective Progressive Nation tours with DT.

I have yet to see Cynic (my favorite Tech/Jazz Metal Band) or my hero, Devin Townsend live. If I go to this show I'd do almost anything to meet Devin Townsend, just to shake his hand and thank him for the great music.

Davemeistro
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Damn same here. What sucks is I'm only an hour and 15 minutes from Station4 so I wish I had a better excuse not to get tickets.

I was fortunate enough to see BTBAM during the Colors Tour when they played the whole album live. I also seen BTBAM and Scale The Summit on their respective Progressive Nation tours with DT.

I have yet to see Cynic (my favorite Tech/Jazz Metal Band) or my hero, Devin Townsend live. If I go to this show I'd do almost anything to meet Devin Townsend, just to shake his hand and thank him for the great music.

I live ten minutes away from Station 4, but I've never seen a show there sell out, so I figured, why would Meshuggah?

Yeah, but anyway, I saw BTBAM on the first Progressive Nation tour at the Myth, and I didn't really like them, so I'm kind of hoping they're not really headlining, lol...

Other than that, I'm in the same boat. Haven't seen Cynic or Devin, and I would fucking love it if this tour rolled around here somewhere...

MPF
10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I live ten minutes away from Station 4, but I've never seen a show there sell out, so I figured, why would Meshuggah?

Yeah, but anyway, I saw BTBAM on the first Progressive Nation tour at the Myth, and I didn't really like them, so I'm kind of hoping they're not really headlining, lol...

Other than that, I'm in the same boat. Haven't seen Cynic or Devin, and I would fucking love it if this tour rolled around here somewhere...

Well just give more mystery to this tour. just look at Devin Townsend's Twitter...

http://twitter.com/Dvntownsend

That is funny about station 4. The only time I ever seen Station 4 almost packed for was for Iced Earth back in November. even then it wasn't fully packed.

BTBAM is better then just the 25 minutes they played at The Myth. I got to meet the guys when they played The Triple Rock back in 07 for the Colors tour. They are the most humble guys I ever talked to. But I do agree, in a perfect world either Cynic or Devin Townsend would be headlining. Then again the band listing are in alphabetical order, so maybe there is a chance of that happening?

idrinkwine732
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there if this were true

Think Devy would play SYL tunes? Its a long shot but I hope he does.

MPF
10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
From what I understand Devin said that his tour in 2010 (long before this tour was thought of) he was working on songs from AT LEAST the following albums:

Infinity
Physicist
Synchestra
Ki
Addicted

Hopefully he can get at lest one from every solo album. Sadly, I don't think there is a chance of him every doing another SYL song.

idrinkwine732
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT, I want that man to just grow back that skullet, reform SYL and bash around like the metal fucker we all know him as.

I never saw SYL, so I'm angry.

TonyD
10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Sadly, I don't think there is a chance of him every doing another SYL song.

Not on this tour, just don't hold your breath.

MPF
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Not on this tour, just don't hold your breath.

Well I have read enough Devin interviews to know that he never wants to do SYL again, because in his current state he doesn't want to be that angry anymore.

After Destruction (the next DTP album after Addicted) he said that this will be the last time he ever writes SYL style Metal ever again. Not to say that he won't add screams or heavy riffs anymore, just not balls out SYL Metal.

Derelict
10-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Dev doesnt do SYL songs when he's on tour as devin townsend band...he's like a completely different person, all mellow, not making fun of the crowd.

idrinkwine732
10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2009
NEW TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON! WE HAVE SOMETHING KILLER LINED UP FOR THIS JANUARY! MAKE SURE TO KEEP CHECKING BACK! -CHRIS

From Scale the Summit's website

Rmeiselman
10-24-2009, 12:14 PM
God I hope this tour comes to MA. I love BTBAM, Devin, and Scale The Summit. I've never gotten into Cynic but I'll give 'em another shot.

JuuKun
10-27-2009, 04:46 PM
The first batch of dates, from lambgoat.
Who also list it as Cynic, Between the Buried and Me, Devin Townsend, and Scale the Summit. Which is a different order.

1/9 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
1/11 Houston, TX @ Meridian
1/22 Louisville, KY @ Headliners
1/25 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's Downunder
1/28 Boston, MA @ House Of Blues
1/31 Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
2/1 Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
2/6 Charlotte, NC @ The Fillmore

1/28 is two days before Epica, and a Thursday night, but I'll be there. Sort of hoping that BTBAM are actually headlining, because that means I can leave before/during them, make the train (I'm a little unsure about the train schedule), and not have to pay for parking. But I'll see what happens, maybe I'll drive in and suck it up about the parking costs.

THIS IS SO AWESOME.:party:

DethMaiden
10-27-2009, 04:49 PM
SEE YOU IN LOUISVILLE BITCHES

IrritatedTrout
10-27-2009, 05:40 PM
The Sonar webpage says the order is BTBAM/Cynic/DT/StS.

JuuKun
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
That's the order. Just got confirmed.

WE are kicking off a full North American headlining tour this coming January. Produced by Live Nation and presented by Killer Tours, the winter whirl will uncork on January 8, 2010 in Nashville, TN and feature support from
CYNIC, DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, and SCALE THE SUMMIT

Charlotte NC pre sales begin on Wednesday, October 28 at 10:00 AM EDT (password: "misdirect").

All all other sales will begin October 30 through November 1 depending on the city...

Ticketmaster and Ticket Web venues can be found HERE.

North American "The Great Misdirect" headlining tour:
(All dates include support from Cynic, Devin Townsend Project and Scale the Summit)

January 8 Nashville, TN Rocketown
January 9 Atlanta, GA The Masquerade
January 10 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
January 11 Houston, TX Meridian
January 12 Dallas, TX The Prophet Bar (Big room)
January 13 San Antonio, TX The White Rabbit
January 15 Tempe, AZ The Clubhouse
January 16 San Diego, CA House of Blues
January 18 San Francisco, CA Slimís
January 20 Denver, CO Cervantes
January 22 Louisville, KY Headliners Music Hall
January 23 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
January 24 Chicago, IL House of Blues
January 25 Cleveland, OH Peabodyís Downunder
January 26 Toronto, ON Opera House
January 27 Montreal, QC Club Soda
January 28 Boston, MA House of Blues
January 29 Clifton Park, NY Northern Lights
January 30 New York, NY The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza
January 31 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero
February 1 Baltimore, MD Sonar
February 3 St. Petersburg, FL State Theatre
February 6 Charlotte, NC The Fillmore

mankvill
10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Woulda been cool to see here.

TonyD
10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
This is kinda disappointing. Let's hope Cynic and Devin get decent sets. The bright side is that it's before school resumes.

MPF
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
FUCK!!!!

MN gets fucked over again...

Davemeistro
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
FUCK!!!!

MN gets fucked over again...

Agree

idrinkwine732
10-27-2009, 11:15 PM
This is kinda disappointing. Let's hope Cynic and Devin get decent sets. The bright side is that it's before school resumes.

Not for me, and on a fucking monday too, that will be tough to get to.

TonyD
10-28-2009, 12:21 AM
It's MLK day, but oh well. I'm leaving early unless BTBAM surprises me in the next few months, which I doubt.

xStructualDefect
10-28-2009, 01:50 AM

i'm interested in checking out BTBAM on a headline show. also would be cool to see Cynic although i've heard negative things about them live.

idrinkwine732
10-28-2009, 07:21 AM
But there's school the next day, school on the day of isn't really a problem, its just the day after that could kill me.

TonyD
10-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I know it sucks, but you have to suck it up. Pretty much half of the shows I go to now are during school, so you learn to deal with it.

HugeRockStar
10-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm dissapointed this is actually playing Canada, I was hoping Dev would do some headlining off dates in Canada. Oh well. I have to see Dev so I'm gonna go anyway.

mastodon421
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
1/28 HELL YES

patrlee
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
meh... Cynic should be headlining

idrinkwine732
10-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh don't get me wrong I'm going to it, its just a bitch.

Natrlhi
10-28-2009, 12:11 PM
i'm interested in checking out BTBAM on a headline show. also would be cool to see Cynic although i've heard negative things about them live.

If you already love Cynic, then you will enjoy the show. If you are going to the show to find out what all the buzz is about, then you will likely not be impressed. If you're a fan then you will know it's mainly about the sound and not so much the stage antics or light shows with these guys. They reproduce their stuff surprisingly well live, but these guys just aren't a Converge or Red Chord or something like that. They are fairly stoic and reserved on stage. I saw them opening for Meshuggah and loved it, but that's because I was already a fan of their two albums before I attended the show. I could have listened with my eyes closed, and the experience would have been the same for me - it was really just all about being in the same room with this phenomenal outfit while they performed.

Anyway, hope this helps. :fist:

ImmortalEmperor
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Northwest getting the shaft. Too bad, would love to see Cynic for a third time.

Div
11-02-2009, 10:13 PM
From what I understand Devin said that his tour in 2010 (long before this tour was thought of) he was working on songs from AT LEAST the following albums:

Infinity
Physicist
Synchestra
Ki
Addicted

Hopefully he can get at lest one from every solo album. Sadly, I don't think there is a chance of him every doing another SYL song.

no Ocean Machine: Biomech?

....I need to re listen to that album.

idrinkwine732
11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Hopefully he plays some of Deconstruction, which is supposed to be more SYLesque stuff.

MPF
11-03-2009, 09:47 AM
no Ocean Machine: Biomech?

....I need to re listen to that album.

Well actually since I posted that I talked to his drummer RVP, They plan on doing at least one song from every solo album...including Ziltoid.

DethMaiden
11-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Well actually since I posted that I talked to his drummer RVP, They plan on doing at least one song from every solo album...including Ziltoid.

I'M ZILTOID!!!!
I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!
I LIVE ABOVE EARTH IN A BIG ROCKET SHIP!

:rocker:

Div
11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
shit, i just noticed that 'color your world' has lyrics from 'voices in the fan'

DethMaiden
11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
shit, i just noticed that 'color your world' has lyrics from 'voices in the fan'

And "Wrong Side" by SYL. :bliss:

Rmeiselman
11-03-2009, 01:53 PM
FUUUUUUUUCKK

The Boston date is the day of and before two of my Midterm Exams.

MPF
11-04-2009, 02:08 PM
New Townsend Interview about the tour....He really makes it sound like this will not be his last tour:

Townsend, easily one of metal's most intriguing, ominous and immensely talented figures, is taking this project to the masses as he will join genre visionaries BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, CYNIC and SCALE THE SUMMIT for a massive North American trek which kicks off January 8.

Commented Devin: "So I'm starting to tour again, officially. I have a great team together, and we are performing selections from all my solo albums. However, I will not be playing STRAPPING material. I love that band and everyone involved and respectfully leave the legacy. However, through all of my solo albums (and the current DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT with the next record 'Deconstruction') you can count on there being a ton of heavy material. From 'Ziltoid', 'Physicist', 'Deconstruction' etc, mixed with 'Addicted', 'Ki', 'Terria', 'Infinity', 'Ocean Machine' etc.

"The first tour I'm doing to get my sea legs back is with BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, who I met on Ozzfest and are a FANTASTIC band, CYNIC, who I have been a fan of for many, many years and are masters, and SCALE THE SUMMIT, a really cool new instrumental band. I am playing second, and it's a relatively short set, but for my first tour back it's a total honor. It will be a different style of performance for me, as there is no 'mask.' However, this incarnation is very different from the DTB (DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND); this is definitely heavier...somewhere between SYL and DTB. And in truth, that's pretty much where I feel I was meant to be all along.

"I'm honored to be invited on such a GREAT bill for the first tour back. Hopefully see you all then.

"The plans for the video for 'Bend It Like Bender' are currently underway, the director is none other than the mighty Konrad Palkewicz, who directed 'Almost Again' by STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, and 'Coast' off of 'Ki'. It's an all animated affair that is not nearly as 'puffy' as the song, it's a mini-movie with his incredible skills once again making my music seem much more poignant than it really is. I've seen some clips and it's crazy good."

DethMaiden
11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Truthfully, this is a better prog bill than this year's Prog Nation by a longshot. Look out, Portnoy.

MPF
11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Truthfully, this is a better prog bill than this year's Prog Nation by a longshot. Look out, Portnoy.

Funny you should mention that. Here's MP's thoughts on the tour, when I made a thread on his forum (gotta read the quote to get the context of the first 3 paragraphs):

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2431774&mpage=1#2431902

I know you're just joking, but I still couldnt help but be offended by this stupid post...

You do realize I've given 3 out of 4 of them opening slots for DT over the past couple years, right???

If anything, they are not thinking "fuck you" to me or DT - but rather "thank you" to me for exposing/sharing them with our audience and are now joining forces to capitalize on it and continue to develop on their own...

Anyways, it's indeed a GREAT bill....I love all the bands and artists on it (musically and personally), I consider them all friends of mine and wish them all the best....

MP

DethMaiden
11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Funny you should mention that. Here's MP's thoughts on the tour, when I made a thread on his forum (gotta read the quote to get the context of the first 3 paragraphs):

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2431774&mpage=1#2431902

I know you're just joking, but I still couldnt help but be offended by this stupid post...

You do realize I've given 3 out of 4 of them opening slots for DT over the past couple years, right???

If anything, they are not thinking "fuck you" to me or DT - but rather "thank you" to me for exposing/sharing them with our audience and are now joining forces to capitalize on it and continue to develop on their own...

Anyways, it's indeed a GREAT bill....I love all the bands and artists on it (musically and personally), I consider them all friends of mine and wish them all the best....

MP

Wow, sounds like he's a little bit butthurt on the internet to me. :lol: ;) But yeah, I thought 2008's Prog Nation lineup was amazing (DT, Opeth, BTBAM and Three are seriously four of the best progressive metal bands of all time...OF ALL TIME) but then 2009 was a huge drop-off in quality. This clearly slays that.

MPF
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Wow, sounds like he's a little bit butthurt on the internet to me. :lol: ;) But yeah, I thought 2008's Prog Nation lineup was amazing (DT, Opeth, BTBAM and Three are seriously four of the best progressive metal bands of all time...OF ALL TIME) but then 2009 was a huge drop-off in quality. This clearly slays that.

Lately on the MP forum, there are some people joining and saying a lot of stupid shit. This was just a joke, but MP took it the wrong way. I didn't make the joke, but I did make the thread. I've been noticing MP has been getting a lot of shit lately since Pain of Salvation had to drop off the tour.

In retrospect 2008's PN was better then 2009's PN, mainly because all of 2008's bands are more recognizable. I'm a huge Zappa fan, so I did love 2009 just as much. Plus I did get to meet Scale The Summit, BigElf and John Petrucci at the show in MN. So it balances itself out.

DethMaiden
11-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Lately on the MP forum, there are some people joining and saying a lot of stupid shit. This was just a joke, but MP took it the wrong way. I didn't make the joke, but I did make the thread. I've been noticing MP has been getting a lot of shit lately since Pain of Salvation had to drop off the tour.

In retrospect 2008's PN was better then 2009's PN, mainly because all of 2008's bands are more recognizable. I'm a huge Zappa fan, so I did love 2009 just as much. Plus I did get to meet Scale The Summit, BigElf and John Petrucci at the show in MN. So it balances itself out.

Yeah, honestly the combination of some truly atrocious DT setlists (not that that didn't plague Prog Nation '08 as well - Columbus in particular got fucked in the ass on that front) and the fact that I only really like Bigelf out of the support makes me far prefer a lineup with BTBAM, Cynic, and Devy.

Now if Portnoy gets Porcupine Tree, Opeth, BTBAM, Devin Townsend, and Mastodon or something, I'll gladly defer. :D