PDA

View Full Version : Mikael Akerfeldt planning acoustic solo album

ADD
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=10678

Lookin forward to this since Damnation is the only Opeth I can dig, but I really dig it. I'm sure this will be of comparable quality.

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
:bowdown: Very very excited for this. But it's news to me that you don't like Opeth anymore. :confused:

ADD
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
:bowdown: Very very excited for this. But it's news to me that you don't like Opeth anymore. :confused:
Their death metal stuff feels pointless to me when they can do the mellow/melodic music so well. It just fucks up the vibe when they throw in those heavy parts, too surgical and clean for my taste.

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Their death metal stuff feels pointless to me when they can do the mellow/melodic music so well. It just fucks up the vibe when they throw in those heavy parts, too surgical and clean for my taste.

Fair enough. That means you should still dig at least half of all their albums except for Orchid though. ;) I'm still a fanboy.

ADD
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Fair enough. That means you should still dig at least half of all their albums except for Orchid though. ;) I'm still a fanboy.
Yeah that's the thing it bums me out cuz it'll be going good then they do some random 'progressive' part that seems forced or goes nowhere. Blackwater Park has the best of their heavy though for me, though I haven't listened to it in awhile.

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah that's the thing it bums me out cuz it'll be going good then they do some random 'progressive' part that seems forced or goes nowhere. Blackwater Park has the best of their heavy though for me, though I haven't listened to it in awhile.

Blackwater Park is without a doubt their best record, but on the whole I really can't agree with you. They're still one of my favorite bands.

But we'll bond over the solo album for sure. :D

ChildrenofSodom
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
This makes me think all the other dudes in Opeth really really like Death Metal, and Mikael hates it. So he is going off and doing an acoustic album because they won't let him not do death metal. haha.

SerpentineVIVIVI
10-14-2009, 02:05 PM
This makes me think all the other dudes in Opeth really really like Death Metal, and Mikael hates it. So he is going off and doing an acoustic album because they won't let him not do death metal. haha.

:eyes: Bloodbath? :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
:eyes: Bloodbath? :eyes:

Yeah, you're right. My unserious opinion has been flattened.

SomewhereInTime72
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
This could be pretty sweet.

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind that this may or may not even happen. In 2002, he was working on a black metal concept album on Vlad the Impaler.

TonyD
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Not sloppy ≠ surgical

Either way this is something to look forward to.

You guys never let me do what I want in the band. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxZHp1g0ns&feature=fvw)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm in.

JuuKun
10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm in.

Pretty much my thoughts.

ADD
10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Not sloppy ≠ surgical

Obviously :cool:

Rush, Tool, Crimson, Miles Davis, Death, Zappa, Yes = :agree:

Opeth, Cynic, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Necrophagist, Between the Buried and Me = :wtf: :nonono: :hecho:

Yadidamean?

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Obviously :cool:

Rush, Tool, Crimson, Miles Davis, Death, Zappa, Yes = :agree:

Opeth, Cynic, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Necrophagist, Between the Buried and Me = :wtf: :nonono: :hecho:

Yadidamean?

Oh bro you just failed with that post in a number of ways.

ADD
10-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Oh bro you just failed with that post in a number of ways.
One man's fail is another man's win :tongue:

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
One man's fail is another man's win :tongue:

I guess I just didn't realize how far your tastes were shifting because I know you turned me on to albums by a number of "surgical" bands back in the day. :lol: ;)

ChildrenofSodom
10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess I just didn't realize how far your tastes were shifting because I know you turned me on to albums by a number of "surgical" bands back in the day. :lol: ;)

County Medical Examiners are just too goddamn surgical for me. And Carcass, around 91.

DethMaiden
10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
County Medical Examiners are just too goddamn surgical for me. And Carcass, around 91.

lawl

and general surgery rite

ADD
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Haha I guess so. Tastes do change though, after all I did buy and enjoy a Gamma Ray CD only a few years ago :D

ravenheart
10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Lol, welcome to last month everybody ;)

Looks like Mikael's solo album has overtaken the Portnoy/Akerfeldt/Wilson project.

TonyD
10-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Lol, welcome to last month everybody ;)

Looks like Mikael's solo album has overtaken the Portnoy/Akerfeldt/Wilson project.

Good.