PDA

View Full Version : Dethklok -- Kansas City, MO -- October 12th, 2009

mankvill
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Awesome concert! I thought I was going to miss at least some of High on Fire, but I got there in time to see it all. It was a great experience.

High On Fire was my first concert of 2008, and I'd been jonesing to see them again. While they didn't get a very long set, they left me (again) wanting more. They absolutely slayed and Matt Pike is still a beast on the guitar. He rips through solos like it's as easy as not brushing his teeth (:barf:) and the crowd ate it up completely. Frost Hammer was amazing, and Waste of Tiamat is my favorite live HoF song still. I can't wait to see them again. 9/10

Fury Whip
Blood From Zion
Cometh Down Hessian
Waste of Tiamat
Frost Hammer
Rumors Of War

First things first: there was a huge pit filled with hardcore kiddies fighting invisible ninjas for Converge. But to be honest, they're one of the least worst "core" bands I've seen live. Maybe that's because they honestly don't try to be metal, they are at heart a hardcore/grindcore/mathcore band. But I still don't get it. A lot of times it sounded like they were leading up to a huge moment where they'd kick in and the place would explode, but nine times out of ten, it just never seemed to come. However, when they kicked it in, I really enjoyed it. I guess I was expecting a DEP-esque type of craziness, but Converge wasn't terrible. More grind, less core. 5/10

?
No Heroes
Axe To Fall
Eagles Become Vultures
The Broken Vow
Last Light
Reap What You Sow
Wolves At My Door
Dark Horse
?
?
Concubine

I, at first, thought it was lame that Mastodon was performing all of Crack the Skye still. But as I quickly found out, CtS translate extremely well live and made for a really memorable performance. Sound trouble happened at the beginning of the set, but was fixed by The Czar. Speaking of that song, the 2 songs I liked the best from their set were the longest from CtS, The Czar and The Last Baron. Absolutely chill-inducing when heard live. And the brutality of their pre-CtS material as the encore was amazing. The crowd went insane during Mother Puncher. Awesome show. 9/10

Oblivion
Divinations
Quintessence
The Czar
Ghost of Karelia
Crack The Skye
The Last Baron
--
Circle of Casquatch
Aqua Dementia
Where Strides The Behemoth
Mother Puncher
The Bit

Anyone who still doubts the intentions of Brendon Small and Dethklok just need to attend a show to see what all the fuss is about. The straight up melodic death metal approach from Dethklok really paired well with the prog-attack of Mastodon. I will say that Dethalbum I songs are better than Dethalbum II songs. But the crowd loved it all. Craziest pits I've seen all year. Brendon Small and his band are really, really talented. You can't help but headbang through their set. 9/10

Detheme
Bloodlines
Burn The Earth
Hatredcopter
Black Fire Upon Us
Birthday Dethday
Dethjingle
Dethsupport
Awaken
The Gears
Murmaider
Thunderhorse
Go Into The Water
Fansong

xStructualDefect
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
great review. i don't listen to any of these bands (except some songs from CtS) but i really wanna check out the hollywood show. with the lack of money i doubt i'd be able to though.

JRA
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
a) How do you know Matt Pike doesn't brush his teeth? :eyes:

So I'm going to attend this, it would be the High On Fire/Converge/Dethklok show along with Mastodon?

mankvill
10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
a) How do you know Matt Pike doesn't brush his teeth? :eyes:

So I'm going to attend this, it would be the High On Fire/Converge/Dethklok show along with Mastodon?

Have you SEEN HIS TEETH :hecho:

JRA
10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Have you SEEN HIS TEETH :hecho:

How close were you to Matt Pike that you could see his teeth?

TonyD
10-12-2009, 10:26 PM

You don't need to be close at all lol

Nobody wants to hear the fucking Bit and High on Fire should be playing second, after Converge. End of story.

mankvill
10-12-2009, 10:33 PM

I was a lot closer when I saw them last Feb. and...it's just pretty nasty. But he makes Tony Iommi look like Yellowcard, mang.

You don't need to be close at all lol

Nobody wants to hear the fucking Bit and High on Fire should be playing second, after Converge. End of story.

The Bit was okay, but I definitely agree that they should've played something else from one of their albums.

And Converge failed to win over most of the people who weren't hardcore dancing. I thought they were alright.

300%_Density
10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Yea when I saw HOF w/ Opeth last year I made the decision (not that I'm an expert...lol) but Matt Pike has to be one of the ugliest dudes I've ever seen in my life no doubt but he is a def beast!!!

ADD
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the Converge setlist, had to look up what "Wolves At My Door" was. (Japanese bonus track wtf??) Cool to see they're playing the best songs from the new one too. Good review :party:

Fires Of Sedition
10-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Awesome review. I'm Extremely excited to see Dethklok again. I need to get the new album before I do though.

TonyD
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Yea when I saw HOF w/ Opeth last year I made the decision (not that I'm an expert...lol) but Matt Pike has to be one of the ugliest dudes I've ever seen in my life no doubt but he is a def beast!!!

FUCK YOU
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v645/93/41/1440635281/n1440635281_30188665_6213.jpg

Edit: Also, this. (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/matt-pike-high-on-fire-on-great-albums-part-2-of-2/2594073390317309615/?icid=VIDURVMUS01)

mankvill
10-12-2009, 11:03 PM
FUCK YOU
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v645/93/41/1440635281/n1440635281_30188665_6213.jpg

HOLY SHIT

jhdeity
10-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Cool review. Was Gene Hoglan on drums? I'm still waiting impatiently to hear wtf is going on with Fear Factory

Natrlhi
10-13-2009, 09:18 AM

He may be ugly as sin, but:

a) it just makes him resemble Lemmy (an big idol of his) even more - besides the voice, that is...and
b) like Lemmy, I'll bet he STILL gets more ass than a toilet seat, and finally...
c) he is definitely a beast, and as Mankvill said, he makes Iommi (an even bigger idol of his) look like Yellowcard (nice one mang :lol:)

Nice gig report - wish I woulda been there. Looks like I'm only gonna get to see Converge and HoF with Keelhaul next week at the Grog Shop, instead of the 10/21 gig in Detroit (gotta watch my son that night), which includes everybody. Oh well. Converge is still pretty intense live, and any HoF is better than no HoF (and plus, they will hopefully have a longer set due to no Mastodon or Dethklok).

Nat :horns:

EDIT: lolz Tony, that pic is fucking awesome. :lol: Dat iz 1 ugily muthah fuckah mang

mankvill
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Cool review. Was Gene Hoglan on drums? I'm still waiting impatiently to hear wtf is going on with Fear Factory

Yeah, he was. He did great.

mastodon421
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice review dude. hopefully i can go to this when it hits up Boston in 2 weeks but my lack of funds might not allow that to happen.

One quick question is Frost Hammer is good as HoF's older material? Death is This Commuion was one of my fave albums of 2007 I hope the new album can reach that level of awesome.

mankvill
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice review dude. hopefully i can go to this when it hits up Boston in 2 weeks but my lack of funds might not allow that to happen.

One quick question is Frost Hammer is good as HoF's older material? Death is This Commuion was one of my fave albums of 2007 I hope the new album can reach that level of awesome.

Yeah, for sure. If you liked DiTC, you'll like Frost Hammer and, hopefully, the new record.

HellhammerMario
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Are you sure they played "Wolves At My Door?" I don't even know if they have played that song prior to this tour. Just seems like an odd song to bring into the fold, haha.

As for the other songs that weren't listed, my guesses would be "Plagues" as the opener, and "Heartache"/"Hellbound" right before "Concubine."

Thanks for the setlists! I'm really excited about the Myrtle Beach date.

mankvill
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Are you sure they played "Wolves At My Door?" I don't even know if they have played that song prior to this tour. Just seems like an odd song to bring into the fold, haha.

As for the other songs that weren't listed, my guesses would be "Plagues" as the opener, and "Heartache"/"Hellbound" right before "Concubine."

Thanks for the setlists! I'm really excited about the Myrtle Beach date.

It sounded like he said something about Wolves. :idunnolol:

MunicipalWasted
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Pretty good show.

High On Fire- louder than Motorhead. Kicked ass.
Converge- Notta fan before but they suprised me.
Mastodon- AMAZING.
Dethklok- Pretty good.

Oh, and hardcore dancers vs. moshers was funny as hell. Too bad the metalhead moshers are fat drunks who just embarass themselves by being douches. Seriously, its a Converge pit, if you dont like dancers stay the fuck out and mosh during Dethklok.

btw, friend texted me during Dethklok saying Brann was over by merch so I headed there, said whats up and great set then got a picture with him.

mankvill
10-15-2009, 02:24 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/883/011wb.jpg

i liek dis pictar

TonyD
10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
High On Fire- louder than Motorhead.

I can vouch for this.

So they're still doing the screen thing with all of the videos during CTS right? Is Dethklok being projected onto a different screen or are they using the same one?

Also now that I think about it, I'm looking forward to getting into the "pit" during Converge ;)

mankvill
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I can vouch for this.

So they're still doing the screen thing with all of the videos during CTS right? Is Dethklok being projected onto a different screen or are they using the same one?

Also now that I think about it, I'm looking forward to getting into the "pit" during Converge ;)

Yeah, Mastodon is showing psychadelic/creepy stuff during CtS, but for the encore they put up the full paintings for each album cover for each respective song and it is pretty cool.

And Dethklok is still doing the video screen thing, but they don't make too much of an effort to hide Brendon Small/the band this time.

TonyD
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Whatever I'll try to be pitting/ROWING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPkc24pptIY&feature=player_embedded) during Dethklok

300%_Density
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
FUCK YOU

Edit: Also, this. (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/matt-pike-high-on-fire-on-great-albums-part-2-of-2/2594073390317309615/?icid=VIDURVMUS01)

Good lord that picture is frightening to see at 2:30 in the morning but I am definitley jealous. I wish HOF got to play longer when I saw them last year.

rjturtle9
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Whatever I'll try to be pitting/ROWING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPkc24pptIY&feature=player_embedded) during Dethklok

ROWING = epic gayness

Natrlhi
10-16-2009, 06:35 AM

That rowing video was funny, gay and fucking awesome all at once. :D

(and that's probably the only time you'll see me using the word "gay" in that context, because calling things "gay" that are not homosexual is "gay", but there was really no other word to use there...:D)

Natrlhi
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/883/011wb.jpg

i liek dis pictar

i haev a pictar much like dat 1, cuz dey did dat on da tour w/ kye-lessa last spring, 2
(eye gots one w/ da whale from Lev-iar-thon, 2) :D

mankvill
10-16-2009, 11:08 AM
i haev a pictar much like dat 1, cuz dey did dat on da tour w/ kye-lessa last spring, 2
(eye gots one w/ da whale from Lev-iar-thon, 2) :D

yar i get wun wit da whule and dat got dang deer head thang.

Derelict
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I got pretty drunk with the bass player from High on Fire after one of their shows opening for Opeth..the bar did last call, i asked him if he wanted to do a shot with me for last call, he agreed. So i ordered two shots of Jager, he gives me this look and says

"Dude, how did you know I loved Jager?"
Me: "Dude, you are in a metal band, of course you like jager."
Him: "Good call"

mankvill
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I got pretty drunk with the bass player from High on Fire after one of their shows opening for Opeth..the bar did last call, i asked him if he wanted to do a shot with me for last call, he agreed. So i ordered two shots of Jager, he gives me this look and says

"Dude, how did you know I loved Jager?"
Me: "Dude, you are in a metal band, of course you like jager."
Him: "Good call"

sup facebook status post!

Derelict
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
sup facebook status post!

I wanted to share it with these fine people, Fergie fan

DethMaiden
10-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I keep my facebook friends exclusive. That said, I also read that comment when my man Jeff commented on my broski Jackson's status. :D

mankvill
10-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I wanted to share it with these fine people, Fergie fan

oh god don't even joke about that disgusting bitch :hecho:

Derelict
10-16-2009, 03:48 PM
oh god don't even joke about that disgusting bitch :hecho:

Sorry man, that wasn't cool. The Directv commercial with her during baseball is killing me

derangedperson
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, those blanks in the Converge set:

They opened with Plagues, and you had Heartache and Hellbound before Concubine