PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Fall -- Baltimore, MD -- October 9th, 2009

jhdeity
10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I was really looking forward to this show. The promoter called and told us to get there early and party with the bands so I was psyched. Ironically the 1st person I met was the singer of FFDP and he seemed cool but almost like a Phil Anselmo wanna-be. Everyone else was totally cool and seemed really happy to be there. The guys at the merch tables were telling us some cool tour stories and how incredible the opening band 2cents were. I wanted to get a good spot upstairs for them so we got our VIP bracelets and headed up. My boy gave me an extra one so I made a few phone calls and my girl Sue to come out.

Let me tell ya, 2cents killed it. I've never seen a stage set up like that in my life. The drummer sings and has his kit "incubus" style at the front of the stage. Dude is a monster! Every song kicked ass and the Dimebag Tribute was epic! 2nd best band of the night.

Next up was Otep and they opened with Confrontation and it was brutal. Their best song of the night and the one that's blocked on the setlist pic. I had to go grab Sue and get her in so I missed the next song but got back up for Smash the Control Machine and everything else. They sounded great but only 6 songs including the cover was kinda lame. I was told later by the guitarist that FFDP were fucking them so they could play more stuff off their new cd including that horrific cover of Bad Company. Uuugghhhh!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/DSC00655-1.jpg

I tried to get backstage and catch Otep but she was already on the bus. I ran into the guys from 2cents and we partied back in the green room until Shadows came on. Free beer always tastes incredible, doesn't it? Those guys are totally cool and I'm glad I caught their set and met them.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/DSC00671.jpg

Next up was Shadows Fall and they absolutely killed it. I almost shat myself when I saw how different the setlist was and nothing off Threads at all? WOW! I had Sue get video of My Demise because I was already buzzed from guzzling 4 beers in 10 minutes amongst other things and didn't think I'd remember. I'll post a link when she sends it to me. Destroyer of Senses set me off. Incredible song live. They wrapped it up with The Light That Blinds and we headed down to hang with them. Brian told me he was going to watch the show from the merch booth and to meet him over there.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/DSC00660.jpg

The guys from 2cents joined us and we were talking about all the incredible cd's released in 2009. I told Brian their cd is Top 5 for me so far and he said they're coming back and doing a headlining tour so that was cool to hear. A couple of songs in I told him what a fucking travesty it is they Shadow's is opening for this band and he agreed. I heard later that he and the singer of FFDP had a brawl backstage afterwards regarding how FFDP and their people treat the other bands and other BS. I'm hoping Brian clocked that fool. I didn't get the FFDP setlist and honestly didn't want it. When they broke into the Bad Company cover Brian and I started cracking up and mocking them. I was doing Phil Anselmo and Brian was doing Paul Rodgers and we sounded just like him. hahaha

Overall a fun night but it would have been EPIC if Shadows headlined. Here are a few more pics. I'll post video when I get it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/DSC00677.jpg

With Sue and Five... Five Finger... Five Finger Douche Baaaaaag!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/DSC00648.jpg

Sanitarium78
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Cool review and nice pics! It really is ashame that Shadows Fall isn't headlining this tour. 5FDP may get more radio play but i'm not sure if they're really that much more popular than SF in the metal world at all. It could easily be a co-headline gig.

That's kinda shitty that 5 finger is treating the opening bands like that but I guess when there two main support bands produce better music than they do they might wanna do what ever they can to make themselves look better by cutting the other bands performances and adding more songs to your own set. Still very unprofessional most bands usually respect the artists they tour with more than that.

The Shadows Fall set is killer. Nice to see they've got My Demise in their now I don't think it was in the last set I saw from them on this tour. I'm surprised they didn't do Redemption since it's one of their better known songs. Otep's set is OK giving the little time they're giving her this tour but only one off the new one is a little weird. Rise,Rebel, Resist should be in the set that would rock hard live.

x-voltage
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
It does suck that 5FDP is doing that, but don't diss their music man. They are amazing. Ivan Moody isn't a bad singer at all. I think he's a great screamer and singer. I met him at Mayhem tour in 2008 and he seemed really down to earth and was squirting the whole crowd with a water gun during Airbourne. It was hilarious.

makethemsuffer12
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
It does suck that 5FDP is doing that, but don't diss their music man. They are amazing. Ivan Moody isn't a bad singer at all. I think he's a great screamer and singer. I met him at Mayhem tour in 2008 and he seemed really down to earth and was squirting the whole crowd with a water gun during Airbourne. It was hilarious.

:hmm: :lol:

Sanitarium78
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I like 5 Finger myself but Otep, and especially Shadows Fall blow them away musically. I don't have a probelm musically with 5 Finger just how it seem they're treating their support bands. You need to treat the bands on your tour with respect because you never know what will happen in music. Some day their popularity will lessen and they might need a band to tour with and artists will refuse if they have a reputation for being assholes on the road. These bands need to stick together and Evan Moody shouldn't be acting like a dick and driving a wedge between 5 Finger and the other bands on the bill.

Also the whole squirting the audience with a water gun isn't that halarious or that original at all since Ozzy has been doing that live for ages. I've seen him throw buckets of water on the audience as well as using super soakers and hoses. Hardly a ground breaking idea from Moody. He may have done it while another band was playing but it's still just a variation on what Ozzy does.

mastodon421
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Shadows Fall is better than 5FDP but Otep seriously dude. I realize its your opinion but 5FDP is far superior to Otep.

300%_Density
10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Thats a shame that FFDP are acting this way towards bands that have all been around longer and have paid more dues than they have. A billboard #7 and that's what it does. Quite a shame.

Very good review. I saw 2Cents before and IMO found them to be pretty awful. They were on Static X / Otep tour a couple years ago and opened. They did a cover of Raining Blood and it was really sad. For 3 minutes I actually hated that song just b/c they were covering it. To each their own.

I met Brian from SF a few years ago and everything you are saying seems pretty spot on as well. Still would have been a good time. Hopefully karma will kick in for FFDP one of these days. :bliss:

MPF
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I was originally suppose to see this tour in Maplewood, MN but I wasn't able to go. It looks like I really missed a great Shadows Fall set. I have gotten to meet Jason Bittner a couple times. He is a great guy to talk to.

IF you ever end up at another 5FDP show and meet Ivan, just ask him about Motograter. I'm sure that will piss him off enough.

In a related note, there is a MN band called This Will Not End Well. I played a show with them a few weeks back and they released a new song called.....Five Finger Donkey Punch. Feel free to use that term when describing the band in any conversation.

rdolan
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Who will Shadows fall be touring with on there headlining tour?

the chewbacca defense
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM
what song on Shadows Fall's set list is "fuck it all"?

mankvill
10-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Someone in Otep is a fucking /b/tard.

YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS HOT :D

jhdeity
10-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Fuck it All is actually A Public Execution from the new cd. Not one of my favorites on the cd but really powerful live. I think they actually played it faster because I was going apeshit during that song and everyone was singing along.

Yeah apparently Ivan has a thing for blonde haired asian chicks with big fake tits too. He was running game a couple of times and I asked him if he was related to Hank Moody? Apparently the Californication reference went right over his head but Sue cracked up so he knew I was fukkin with him.

I asked Brian who they would want to open for them and he said definitely established acts. I threw out Chimaira and he said bands like them who have a few cds out and have earned their stripes. Probably a reference to how dickish FFDP had been acting. I mentioned American Head Charge and Dry Kill Logic and I think he said both of them broke up. That would suck if it's true.

insipidzombie
10-13-2009, 07:00 AM
am I the only one who needs to ask.... who the fuck are five finger death punch? which naturally beckons the question, how are they headlining over Shadows Fall?

Sanitarium78
10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
am I the only one who needs to ask.... who the fuck are five finger death punch? which naturally beckons the question, how are they headlining over Shadows Fall?

Well if you're being serious here they're a metal band that's been around for only 3 or 4 years now and they just came out with a new album. Their first album "The Way Of The Fist" has sold a ton last I saw the figures were in the 375,000 range. Have you ever heard the song "The Bleeding"? that's them. Their new one just cam out last month maybe you've heard the first single "Hard To See" Sorry if that doesn't help at all

They're sound is classified as groove metal and they are a decent band but nowhere near what Shadows Fall is. I said before that this could've easily been a co-headlining tour between the two. If you add career totals Shadows Fall has sold more albums but right now 5 Finger is more popular with the radio play they get.

Indestructible
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
IMO

The new albums from Shadows Fall and Otep show that they will always be better than 5fdp. And the new 5fdp shows that they arent as good as otep and shadows fall.

JuuKun
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Damn. I haven't listened to Shadows Fall in forever, can't stand Otep or 5FDP...but how the HELL did a bullshit band like 5FDP get over Shadows Fall, or hell even Otep? I don't have the slightest clue where they even came from, I just know one day I looked around and suddenly saw a bunch of 5FDP t-shirts. God they're terrible.

the chewbacca defense
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Fuck it All is actually A Public Execution from the new cd. Not one of my favorites on the cd but really powerful live. I think they actually played it faster because I was going apeshit during that song and everyone was singing along.

Yeah apparently Ivan has a thing for blonde haired asian chicks with big fake tits too. He was running game a couple of times and I asked him if he was related to Hank Moody? Apparently the Californication reference went right over his head but Sue cracked up so he knew I was fukkin with him.

I asked Brian who they would want to open for them and he said definitely established acts. I threw out Chimaira and he said bands like them who have a few cds out and have earned their stripes. Probably a reference to how dickish FFDP had been acting. I mentioned American Head Charge and Dry Kill Logic and I think he said both of them broke up. That would suck if it's true.

i read too on blabbermouth that Phil Labonte and Brian got into a twitter fight over Fair hitting on Labonte's gf at this show

jhdeity
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM
That's hilarious. I heard Ivan was jawing at Brian and that's when Brian went off on him and said "You're lucky we're even on this tour" then the guitarist from OTEP called Ivan an Assclown and after more jawing they just started fighting. I really didn't see any other hot chicks there so I can't picture who this Jorie Salyers chick is and why Brian would bother. Maybe she showed up after I split. Some girls just crave attention and love to have drama around them and from her twitter bs I'm thinking all of the above.

Sue wound up getting the FFDP setlist if anyone wants it. Shadows Fall video coming soon.

Burn it Down
The Way of the Fist
Salvation
Hard to See
Bulletproof
Dying Breed
Falling in Hate
Never Enough
White Knuckles
Bad Company
The Devil's Own
Meet the Monster
The Bleeding

13 songs to OTEP's 6 just shows how disrespectful these guys really are. No wonder OTEP ran onto the bus and never came off. She probably wants to strangle those clowns and is tired of hearing how they're getting dissed every night. I know I would be...

TripKore
10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Videos of that tour can be found here

www.youtube.com/user/TripKore

Boston, MA in 1080p HD

hellawaits77ny
10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Are you constipated in those pics :eek: ?

jhdeity
10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Are you constipated in those pics :eek: ?

If by constipated you mean torked off my ass then yes. Bands from LA get the medicinal shit

xStructualDefect
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
i still cannot believe 5FDP is headlining over Shadows Fall. i actually saw 5FDP back in 2006 when they opened up for DragonForce here as the local band, them being from LA. no one had any idea who this band was. 2 years i catch them on Mayhem Fest and i was in total shock to see they had many fans and a lot of people were singing along to their songs. then i find out they're headlining over Shadows Fall. geesh crazy how fast you can go from being a no name local band to that.

hellawaits77ny
10-22-2009, 11:45 PM
If by constipated you mean torked off my ass then yes. Bands from LA get the medicinal shit

HAHA! Not meant to be rude, I was just inquiring.

jhdeity
10-23-2009, 06:04 AM
i still cannot believe 5FDP is headlining over Shadows Fall. i actually saw 5FDP back in 2006 when they opened up for DragonForce here as the local band, them being from LA. no one had any idea who this band was. 2 years i catch them on Mayhem Fest and i was in total shock to see they had many fans and a lot of people were singing along to their songs. then i find out they're headlining over Shadows Fall. geesh crazy how fast you can go from being a no name local band to that.

I couldn't agree more and our opinions are definitely not the minority. FFDP will fizzle out and be a distant memory while Shadows Fall pumps out great music for years to come.

mastodon421
10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I think a good established band Shadows Fall could tour with could be a band like God Forbid. They are talented,play a similar style of metal to Shadows Fall and have been around for a while.

pantera1115
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
wow thats pathetic how ffdp acts twards their supporting bands.they should have respect for shadows fall in perticular. Shadows Fall is in every way their superiors and I just cant fathom how ffdp is headlining over them and their not really even playing along set.Dont get me wrong I like ffdp's music but ill never look at them the same way again.If people here in mass knew about that shit i doubt theyd make it out the door,or at least every one would leave after sf.It is a fucking travesty man.:mad:

Oh I did want to ask how was the turn out for this show cause the tour is coming back my way and for 20/25 bucs i think im gona go this time.

12/19/09 Hatebreed/Unearth/Hate Eternal :rocker:
1/29/10 Devil Driver/Suffocation
2/6/10 Shadows Fall/FFDP

jhdeity
12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah I heard the tour was coming back around and asked if Shadows Fall was headlining this time and they aren't. That's big WTF? for me.

BTW... Throwdown replaced OTEP. I think she had it with Ivan's douchery

mastodon421
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah I heard the tour was coming back around and asked if Shadows Fall was headlining this time and they aren't. That's big WTF? for me.

BTW... Throwdown replaced OTEP. I think she had it with Ivan's douchery

Ivan is a dick but Otep is known to be one of the biggest bitches around.

jhdeity
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Ivan is a dick but Otep is known to be one of the biggest bitches around.

Yeah I've heard that from several people who had to deal with her. Who runs off stage and goes and hides on their tour bus? I'm sure she gets hounded and probably would clash majorly with an alpha personality like Ivan but the rest of the band came out and partied and met people. Granted they were all mostly looking for ass but still...

Speaking of that for this tour the 1st 100 chicks are in free to each show. That's what I heard at Chameleon Club show at least...

FRESH MEAT FOR IVAN! hahahahaha

JuuKun
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I think a good established band Shadows Fall could tour with could be a band like God Forbid. They are talented,play a similar style of metal to Shadows Fall and have been around for a while.

If it happened and I wasn't trying to pay for a bunch of other shows at the same time, I'd actually go to that :eyes: It'd probably be a fun show. I've seen SF twice and they're alright (been awhile, though), and God Forbid are, IMO, the best metalcore band.

I honestly can't believe 5FDP are headlining this. I saw that it was coming to MA in February. I know it's all been said before, but I don't know where the hell 5FDP came from and are headlining over SF. Though I don't exactly know how popular SF are these days - I haven't heard really anyone talking about them in awhile. I didn't even know they had a new album out. I see Brian hanging out at a bunch of shows in MA, though.

Sanitarium78
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah I've heard that from several people who had to deal with her. Who runs off stage and goes and hides on their tour bus? I'm sure she gets hounded and probably would clash majorly with an alpha personality like Ivan but the rest of the band came out and partied and met people. Granted they were all mostly looking for ass but still...

Speaking of that for this tour the 1st 100 chicks are in free to each show. That's what I heard at Chameleon Club show at least...

FRESH MEAT FOR IVAN! hahahahaha

Actually if you know Otep's music and the way her personality comes off you can't be the least bit surprised that she would just run off to the tour bus and be by herself. She doesn't exactly strike me as someone who's friendly and likes to hang out and party.

This tour is hitting my city on Feburary 11th and i'm deffinately going. I'm gonna try and get in front for the SF set. It'll be my third time seeing them i've only seen them headline once and that was when they toured for TOL. It's a shame they have to do so many opening gigs since they should be out on their own. I'm not sure how strong their fanbase is now they did change a lot with TWW and TOL so they may have lost some of the original fans and are trying to build a new fanbase now. Unfortunately though it goes by who's more popular and 5 Finger gets some radio play while SF doesn't and that's why they're headling over them. Tour bookers gotta put who will sell tickets in the headline spot not who's better musically.

The "Fresh Meat For Ivan" is funny because when I read about the first 100 ladies thing that's immediately what I thought to. I'm not sure how it is at other venues but tickets are only $20 bucks for my show. That's cheap and surprising since i'm seeing Hatebreed on Monday at the same venue and the tickets were $25. Maybe the added an extra few bucks to the Hatebreed ticket because CC is originally from here and the venue is trying to cash in on that.

Indestructible
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
FFDP sets should be a little longer. Last set I saw they did 12 songs and for them thats not even an hour. With both albums they have enough songs now to get almost 90 minutes. I wonder if Shadows Fall can get more popular if people think like I do about how much better than are than 5FDP.

jhdeity
12-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Yeah it's official The 1st 100 girls in line are in free to the FFDP/SF Tour. After the drama they had in Baltimore I can picture them negotiating to tour again and saying... Look guys, obviously we were fighting and having drama over a lack of ass. Let's let the 1st 100 chicks in free and whoever gets 1st, the other guy gets next 2. hahaha

The best news of the day is Shadows Fall is squeezing in some headlining shows and they're playing one in Baltimore at Sonar, Feb 4th. Effin' WIIIIIN!

the chewbacca defense
12-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah it's official The 1st 100 girls in line are in free to the FFDP/SF Tour. After the drama they had in Baltimore I can picture them negotiating to tour again and saying... Look guys, obviously we were fighting and having drama over a lack of ass. Let's let the 1st 100 chicks in free and whoever gets 1st, the other guy gets next 2. hahaha

The best news of the day is Shadows Fall is squeezing in some headlining shows and they're playing one in Baltimore at Sonar, Feb 4th. Effin' WIIIIIN!

and its on the club stage too, so it will be nuts and crazy

jhdeity
01-06-2010, 06:05 AM
and its on the club stage too, so it will be nuts and crazy

Is the club stage the small one? I like it over there but fending off karate kicks like at Biohazard got old after 3 songs. Don't those douche bags realize they're scaring off all the girls? There were 15 hot chicks at Biohazard because of the local opening bands and all of them left 2 songs into Biohazard because of those needledick bugfuckers. I hope it's the bigger room

the chewbacca defense
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
yep, club stage is the smaller stage. Shit i'm surprised its there to, hell Flyleaf recently played there and they played the club stage, and they're a much bigger band. Shadows isn't really a big breakdown heavy band, so hopefully the karate kids will stay home