PDA

View Full Version : Satyricon -- Hollywood, CA -- October 8th, 2009

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Fuckin amazing show. The first ever black metal show that I went to. Interviewed Frost. To be posted soon. Long-ass interview too .. 16 minutes.

Review and pictures soon. Lots of good ones.

Set times:

Chtonic - 8.00 to 8.30
Toxic Holocaust - 8.45 to 9.15
Bleeding Through - 9.30 to 10.10
Satyricon - 10.30 to 11.55

Satyricon set list:
1. Repined Bastard Nation
2. The Wolfpack
3. Now, Diabolical
4. Forhekset
5. Black Crow On A Tombstone
6. A New Enemy
7. Die By My Hand
8. Den Siste
9. The Pentagram Burns

Encore
10.K.I.N.G
11.Fuel For Hatred
12.Mother North

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs253.snc1/10029_154271257132_628232132_3175678_8086349_n.jpg

IrritatedTrout
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I've never seen them include Den Siste in one of their sets before.

BlashyrkhMR101
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
shit who's the dude in the Bathory shirt? fucking nice.

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
shit who's the dude in the Bathory shirt? fucking nice.

lol. Thats Satyricon drummer Frost.

IrritatedTrout
10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
He looks so different than when I saw him this past winter. He had long hair and was clean shaven back then.

Bleeding Through dropped off this tour today.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128469

Fuckin good thing too, as they never should have been there in the first place.

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
He looks so different than when I saw him this past winter. He had long hair and was clean shaven back then.

He still has long hair. He had them tied back during the interview.

And yeah bleeding through is the only band I didn't like last night, except for their keyboard player.

mankvill
10-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Bleeding Through dropped off this tour today.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128469

Fuckin good thing too, as they never should have been there in the first place.

ffffffffuuuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkk, now i REALLY wish this was coming here.

JuuKun
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Bleeding Through dropped off? I think that makes my show just ChthoniC and Satyricon...if they extend the ChthoniC set some, maybe I'll go. That would be a good show, it's $18 at that venue's small stage...If I have the money, I might actually go. Sweet.

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Bleeding Through dropped off? I think that makes my show just ChthoniC and Satyricon...if they extend the ChthoniC set some, maybe I'll go. That would be a good show, it's $18 at that venue's small stage...If I have the money, I might actually go. Sweet.

yes if you have the money you should DEFINITELY GO! \m/

rjturtle9
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Shit last night was epic. Went to this show for Chthonic and Toxic Holocaust. After went to the merch tables and we chilled with Andrew. Then i find out that TH is playing again that night. So me and my friend booked it and saw Toxic Holocaust again. We even met Joel Grind!!!

ChthoniC

1. Rise Of The Shadows
2. Bloody Gaya Fulfilled:rocker:
3. Spell of Setting Sun : Mirror Of Retribution
4. Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains

Toxic Holocaust
1. Intro
2. March From Hell
3. Gravelord
4. Wild Dogs
5. In The Name Of Science
6. War Is Hell
7. 666
8. Endless Armageddon
9. Lord Of The Wasteland
10. Nuke The Cross

Toxic Holocaust played the same set at both shows. Before they played I asked Joel for Feedback, Blood, and Distortion and he said they would play it, but they didn't :bouville: It's cool though cause the promoter wanted to stop the show because everyone was getting to crazy knocking over mic stands and shit. But they insisted on finishing the set so it was cool.

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Shit last night was epic. Went to this show for Chthonic and Toxic Holocaust. After went to the merch tables and we chilled with Andrew. Then i find out that TH is playing again that night. So me and my friend booked it and saw Toxic Holocaust again. We even met Joel Grind!!!

ChthoniC

1. Rise Of The Shadows
4. Spell of Setting Sun : Mirror Of Retribution
5. Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains

Toxic Holocaust
1. Intro
2. March From Hell
3. Gravelord
4. Wild Dogs
5. In The Name Of Science
6. War Is Hell
7. 666
8. Endless Armageddon
9. Lord Of The Wasteland
10. Nuke The Cross

Toxic Holocaust played the same set at both shows. Before they played I asked Joel for Feedback, Blood, and Distortion and he said they would play it, but they didn't :bouville: It's cool though cause the promoter wanted to stop the show because everyone was getting to crazy knocking over mic stands and shit. But they insisted on finishing the set so it was cool.

Dude are you sure about those Chthonic and Toxic setlists? If yes, do I have the permission to use them for the magazine? :D

rjturtle9
10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Dude are you sure about those Chthonic and Toxic setlists? If yes, do I have the permission to use them for the magazine? :D

i am 100% positive on the toxic holocaust set since i took a picture of it, and i'm pretty sure about ChthoniC's set too. So that means NO YOU CAN'T USE THEM lol go for it dude!!!!!

andrew_metalhead
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
i am 100% positive on the toxic holocaust set since i took a picture of it, and i'm pretty sure about ChthoniC's set too. So that means NO YOU CAN'T USE THEM lol go for it dude!!!!!

thanks. appreciated \m/

mankvill
10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
ChthoniC

1. Rise Of The Shadows
3. Spell of Setting Sun : Mirror Of Retribution
4. Forty-Nine Theurgy Chains
[/QUOTE]

WHERE IS QUASI PUTREFACTION

rjturtle9
10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
WHERE IS QUASI PUTREFACTION

that's what i was thinking. i wanted unlimited taiwan too :(

mankvill
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
that's what i was thinking. i wanted unlimited taiwan too :(

Methinks I might just have to make the 3 hour drive to Wichita to see them...

rjturtle9
10-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Methinks I might just have to make the 3 hour drive to Wichita to see them...

i wish i could see them headline.

andrew_metalhead
10-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Review, pictures and interview with Frost now posted!! \m/

www.fullmetalrock.com/LiveShowReviews.html

beyondtheblack
10-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much Andrew!

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=474081290

andrew_metalhead
10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much Andrew!

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=474081290

Dude thanks for posting this!! What is this 'Satyricon Bulagaria'? Like a fan page or what?

beyondtheblack
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Lol...Bulgaria, not Bulagaria. It's a country, I live there. Yes, it's a fan page. I've traveled abroad 5 times within a year for Satyricon. I twittered Satyricon about my blog, i.e. your link, I think they've read it.:)

andrew_metalhead
10-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Lol...Bulgaria, not Bulagaria. It's a country, I live there. Yes, it's a fan page. I've traveled abroad 5 times within a year for Satyricon. I twittered Satyricon about my blog, i.e. your link, I think they've read it.:)

Hey thats awesome man! Thanks for letting them know! Much appreciated! \m/

And sorry about the spelling of your country. I'm drinking even as I write this :lol:

beyondtheblack
10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
No worries.;) Thanks ever so much for making the word of thoughtful Frost heard!:)

Cheers! I'm not a man btw, here I am :)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7016_1169745137520_1644734853_410638_7568168_n.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/insightflow/frost1.jpg

Frost's scars :)

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7016_1172933297222_1644734853_417640_6608214_n.jpg

andrew_metalhead
10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
No worries.;) Thanks ever so much for making the word of thoughtful Frost heard!:)

Cheers! I'm not a man btw, here I am :)

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up :lol:

And it was a pleasure to interview Frost. My longest interview till now! :)

beyondtheblack
10-11-2009, 03:25 PM
He makes it easy, doesn't he!:)

At least you weren't trying to interrupt him like these dudes, haha
http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/null/aol-noisecreep-creepshow-ep8m4v/43980110001

andrew_metalhead
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
He makes it easy, doesn't he!:)

At least you weren't trying to interrupt him like these dudes, haha
http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/null/aol-noisecreep-creepshow-ep8m4v/43980110001

:lol:

I don't interrupt anyone while doing interviews. I was in fact very happy that Frost was speaking for a long time on every question. I always want longer and longer interviews. I hope my next one is even longer, although its hard to fine someone so sincere and thoughtful like Frost \m/

beyondtheblack
10-11-2009, 03:41 PM
You won't find one, Frost is the philosopher of metal.:) It's extremely rare to find an artist who can be so analytical about their music. Plus Frost is so eager to speak out everything that's on his mind...which is a lot!

Regarding those dudes above, it's an example how one shouldn't concuct an interview:lol:

As a friend noted:
"Couldn't have been more frustrated with the ignorant journalists, only asking Frost a few questions (to which he answered brilliantly, might I add) and I'm sure not even taking into account the true gravity of his feelings on the matters. I had to laugh when they attempted to interrupt him a few times, only to have him raise his voice over theirs and conquer the battle, haha! What fools."
And their only comments were "sure", "awesome" and "definitely":)

beyondtheblack
10-13-2009, 08:49 AM
By the way, no idea if you've interviewed Ivar of Enslaved. He will live up to Frost's eloquence.

andrew_metalhead
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
By the way, no idea if you've interviewed Ivar of Enslaved. He will live up to Frost's eloquence.

oh .. I haven't. I'll definitely keep that in mind when Enslaved come around to the US next time! \m/

beyondtheblack
10-13-2009, 08:57 AM
You've missed them in May it seems. They'll definitely be back in 2010 with the new release!

By the way, Enslaved's Vertebrae won Terrorizer's Album of 2008.

andrew_metalhead
10-13-2009, 08:59 AM

You've missed them in May it seems. They'll definitely be back in 2010 with the new release!

By the way, Enslaved's Vertebrae won Terrorizer's Album of 2008.

I saw them open for Opeth. Wasn't a journalist that time so didn't get to do interviews. Yeah they were awesome in that show and their new album is good1

beyondtheblack
10-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Sorry, I meant you missed to interview them. Both Ivar and Grutle are extremely pleasant.

Enslaved were supposed to do a headlining tour of the USA this fall, but seems audiences are not so much into their intellectual black-viking metal.

Something curious: battle of the bands, haha. "Which band is smarter": http://www.vgtv.no/?id=23702

Enslavedx2 (5) - Satyricon (4).

1) In 1992 a Askim based band released their debut album "Winter of Sin" - What was the band?
- Fester
2) The debut album "My time will come" was released by which band?
- Fleurity.
3) In 1997, which western band released the album "Witchcraft"?
- Gehenna.
4) "The Isle of Men" was the demo of which southern band?
- Carpathian Forest.
5) Mysticum in 1993 released a demo under another band name - which?
- Sabazios.

It's not fair though, 2 versus one.:)

By the way, when I saw Satyricon in May this year, I told them I'd traveled long distances for them and Enslaved, and Satyr said: "But we are better than Enslaved", hahahaha

And here Frost pops up out of the blue to greet Grutle, sweet:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8941/bilded.jpg

"Frost, aka Kjetil Haraldstad of Satyricon appeared and greeted Enslaved's Grutle Kjellson during an interview with Ostkant newspaper."

andrew_metalhead
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Awesome!

I'll be going to quite a few black metal shows in November .. Moonspell, Ensiferum and Eluveitie :)

ImmortalEmperor
10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
The first ever black metal show that I went to.

Satyricon set list:
1. Repined Bastard Nation
2. The Wolfpack
3. Now, Diabolical
4. Forhekset
5. Black Crow On A Tombstone
6. A New Enemy
7. Die By My Hand
8. Den Siste
9. The Pentagram Burns

Encore
10.K.I.N.G
11.Fuel For Hatred
12.Mother North

Its about time you came over to the dark side... :D

Satyricon in Seattle tonight - can't wait!

beyondtheblack
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I truly envy you about Moonspell!!! I just wrote to tell them they're the only band I miss so much when I don't see them for a couple of months. Last time I saw them, was July in Holland. Review here: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=462210167&blogId=502435946

beyondtheblack
10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
New Frost interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4MexsezNQ

AnglOvDeth
10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Moonspell are some of the nicest dudes, Satyr and Frost really didn't say much when I met them (they were getting mobbed by fans - I just stood to the side and talked to them gracefully while dozens of kids were looking at them like they were statues!) They are very courteous though, being so fucking metal!
I've been very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to have an impromptu interview (if you will) with some of my favorites... Enslaved, Unleashed, Olavi Mikkonen of Amon Amarth, Rotting Christ, Vader, Suffocation, and Belphegor are all really cool people to talk to, party with, and interview. Belphegor especially... those guys are fucking nuts!!!! :eek:

There was a night when Olavi told me about Sweden, and basically told me about his home life. Girlfriend, home, recording time, and really personal type shit. I was surprised he would tell me about a lot of that.

On the other hand, I could name some bands/artists that were very discourteous but I'll save myself from slanderizing some of my own favorite bands and other's idols. Nothing I said or did, they just didn't have the time, nor did I have the credentials to be talking to them.

beyondtheblack
10-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Sometimes I wonder how Satyr, Frost, Fernando and the other courteous gentlemen of metal don't get totally annoyed by fans, or at least how they manage to now let it show. It's relatively rare that a fan would attempt to get into the real depths of bands' music and philosophy - the world today is all about idolization and sensationalism. Indeed, it is puzzling it would elude most that these people are namely people who happen to have art as their vocation.

Fernando Ribeiro is the most stunning person I have ever met. He is truly...angelic, if I could say that, lol. I have never come across such grace, sincere consideration and attention to the fans. He has an amazing sensitivity and responsiveness to other people. Last time I saw Moonspell, I couldn't but shout in between the songs: "We love you Fernando!" - to my delight, he seemed sincerely moved, he stepped to the front end of the stage, and looked for the face in the audience that had said it; then he graced us with a deep "Thank you".

Enslaved have just been confirmed as hosts of a great underground doom/psychedelic metal festival in Holland: http://www.roadburn.com/
“This show will pan towards the latter day Enslaved and will consist of a set list specially put together for Roadburn; emphasizing the heavy, the psychedelic and not but least – the visual aspect of what Enslaved is today. Be prepared for a surprise or two!” Ivar Bjørnson.

The rest of the bands you mention are totally awesome. I think Unleashed are the best death metal band today; of course, Suffocation are no less impressive.
I haven't met Belphegor, but I have the pleasure of knowing Sakis from Rotting Christ - they're our neighbours after all (Bulgaria borders Greece). Sakis is utterly elated about the forthcoming album, which I believe they should have already recorded at Olympus mountain.

andrew_metalhead
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
My interview is now on Blabbermouth too.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128743

AnglOvDeth
10-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Satyr, Frost, Fernando and the other courteous gentlemen of metal don't get totally annoyed by fans, or at least how they manage to now let it show. It's relatively rare that a fan would attempt to get into the real depths of bands' music and philosophy - the world today is all about idolization and sensationalism. Indeed, it is puzzling it would elude most that these people are namely people who happen to have art as their vocation.

I haven't met Belphegor, but I have the pleasure of knowing Sakis from Rotting Christ - they're our neighbours after all (Bulgaria borders Greece). Sakis is utterly elated about the forthcoming album, which I believe they should have already recorded at Olympus mountain.

Very well said.
And yes, Sakis is a very nice guy too... I had the pleasure of taking them all to Alice Cooper'sTown restaurant in Phoenix last February, and we all had a good time that night. Sakis recently told me that Rotting Christ is nearly finished with the new album. Can't wait! :rocker:
Funny thing about Sakis... he doesn't drive. He's actually afraid of cars!!!! He won't even sit in a fast one! I thought that was slightly ironic, being that he's one of my fearless idols!

beyondtheblack
10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Hahahaha....
I can't help laughing.:)
Sakis is funny that way...I didn't know about cars, thanks for sharing.:)) It seems he has many fears, like a typical Cancerian.:) When I greeted him for his birthday this year, he said: "I was thinking years ago that zodiacs were shit but i see so many things that prove the opposite! I am scared of old age and even if i feel 18 i get depressed when i realize that i am 37!
HOWEVER A SOLDIER NEVER SURRENDERS. I AM A SOLDIER OF METAL AND I WILL KEEP ON FIGHTING TIL THE END...MY GOAL IS TO DIE ON STAGE!"
So you shouldn't worry ;)

Wizzbang11
10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Toxic Holocaust played the same set at both shows. Before they played I asked Joel for Feedback, Blood, and Distortion and he said they would play it, but they didn't :bouville:

Hahaha, pretty much the same thing happened to a friend of mine when he asked for Warfare.
Joel is a cool guy, but he can be weird. And if they still have the same merch guy who was there for the last few tours, he's a total douchebag. Al was the coolest of them, sad he's not there anymore.