Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Last Caress
Hit The Lights
Seek & Destroy

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 06:25 AM
quite possibly the best setlist on this leg so far.. Ride the Lightning and no remorse :D

The Ancient Mariner
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
quite possibly the best setlist on this leg so far.. Ride the Lightning and no remorse :D

I second that :rocker: Saturday's set was pretty good too. They are getting better :horns:

SerpentineVIVIVI
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I look at these sets, and I think this set is pretty awesome, but it just sticks in my head that we're not hearing the real Ride The Lightning or Blackened, etc. We're hearing the new Metallica play it, which is such an embarrassment compared to the legacy that surrounds the first five. Idk, maybe it's just me, but it's like nothing they do would matter, even if they fucking played nothing but oldies. Maybe I'm going a bit extreme, but my point is understood.

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I look at these sets, and I think this set is pretty awesome, but it just sticks in my head that we're not hearing the real Ride The Lightning or Blackened, etc. We're hearing the new Metallica play it, which is such an embarrassment compared to the legacy that surrounds the first five. Idk, maybe it's just me, but it's like nothing they do would matter, even if they fucking played nothing but oldies. Maybe I'm going a bit extreme, but my point is understood.

I getcha.. To be honest when I saw them in Dublin in August it was awesome, we got one of the best setlists Ive since Death Magnetic came out, but Kirk forgot the tapping solo in One, and James voice was all over the shop, they did Blackened and Fight Fire with Fire, and it was like watching the best cover band we'll ever see. They're not the same band since Load and Reload when they had the image overhaul. Which is a crying shame, but at least they've not yet completely gone up their own asses, they're still bringing out good line ups, and playing for two hours a night, even if their setlists can be very questionable.

SerpentineVIVIVI
10-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I getcha.. To be honest when I saw them in Dublin in August it was awesome, we got one of the best setlists Ive since Death Magnetic came out, but Kirk forgot the tapping solo in One, and James voice was all over the shop, they did Blackened and Fight Fire with Fire, and it was like watching the best cover band we'll ever see. They're not the same band since Load and Reload when they had the image overhaul. Which is a crying shame, but at least they've not yet completely gone up their own asses, they're still bringing out good line ups, and playing for two hours a night, even if their setlists can be very questionable.

That's a good perspective at least. Perfect for them actually, the best Metallica cover band is Metallica themselves :lol:. Too true now that I think of it. You do have reason though, at least they play good-length sets and generally good lineups. Still, they'll never be the same, and I'll always have that bias now :(

Oh well, that's why there's thousands of other bands :D ;)

The Ancient Mariner
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Cliff Burton RIP ... perhaps says everything that Metallica once were :hmm:

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
That's a good perspective at least. Perfect for them actually, the best Metallica cover band is Metallica themselves :lol:. Too true now that I think of it. You do have reason though, at least they play good-length sets and generally good lineups. Still, they'll never be the same, and I'll always have that bias now :(

Oh well, that's why there's thousands of other bands :D ;)

Yeah, but I think thanks to that five album streak, and their ferocity live, they will always be worth a watch on any given tour. And their given others bands a big chance to shine, bringin them on the rise to do stadiums one day :D

Mastodon 2020 in Madison Square Garden?? :rocker:

PowerMaiden
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM

100 % PowerMaiden approoved !

They play like shit and are an embarassement to themselves, they should have quit long ago

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
and their ferocity live, :

hahaha

sorry buddy but mouhahaha

funny one :lol:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SerpentineVIVIVI
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but I think thanks to that five album streak, and their ferocity live, they will always be worth a watch on any given tour. And their given others bands a big chance to shine, bringin them on the rise to do stadiums one day :D

Mastodon 2020 in Madison Square Garden?? :rocker:

Eh, the ferocity is debatable. I'm not saying you're totally wrong, they're a good live band in terms of energy and all, but when I go to a show, it's really for the WHOLE package, and Metallica only truly deliver in energy.

And EXACTLY proving my next point, what you said about the five album streak being a top reason why you will always see them, they are a nostalgia band now, or at least really damn close. Sure, Death Magnetic is cool and all (granted it got old really quick), who the hell is going to see Metallica for their new stuff? Nobody. And I would forgive that if they could competently play their old stuff and sounds respectable, but shit like you mentioned bout Kirk's solo and James' awful singing (which I've seen/heard both)....it's just unprofessional and ,for me, unforgivable. You can have your opinion though, I'm just using your statements as a spring for my own ;)

To PowerMaiden: :horns:

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
hahaha

sorry buddy but mouhahaha

funny one :lol:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

both times iv seen em theyve been on top form.

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Eh, the ferocity is debatable. I'm not saying you're totally wrong, they're a good live band in terms of energy and all, but when I go to a show, it's really for the WHOLE package, and Metallica only truly deliver in energy.

And EXACTLY proving my next point, what you said about the five album streak being a top reason why you will always see them, they are a nostalgia band now, or at least really damn close. Sure, Death Magnetic is cool and all (granted it got old really quick), who the hell is going to see Metallica for their new stuff? Nobody. And I would forgive that if they could competently play their old stuff and sounds respectable, but shit like you mentioned bout Kirk's solo and James' awful singing (which I've seen/heard both)....it's just unprofessional and ,for me, unforgivable. You can have your opinion though, I'm just using your statements as a spring for my own ;)

To PowerMaiden: :horns:

Im well aware that the ferocity is debatable, Just the irish shows Iv seen have probably just been luck of the draw good nights for them. And I agree, but that happens to every band wit a twenty year or more legacy. I mean look at Maiden, last album was pretty cool, no doubt, but in all honesty would you pay to see it more than once? The key difference though is that maiden, and priest, and megadeth, and most other bands youd care to mention wit that many years behind them can do their old stuff better than metallica can do theirs. All in all I agree with you. With Metallica its not the quality of the songs we're after, its the principle of seein em bein done by the originals ;)

xStructualDefect
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM

agreed. well the only time i've seen them they were incredible. don't see any reason why they should quit if they are still selling out arenas and making a lot of money.

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
agreed. well the only time i've seen them they were incredible. don't see any reason why they should quit if they are still selling out arenas and making a lot of money.

I dont see why they should quit when theyre bringing bands like Gojira, Lamb of God (spare the flaming please) and Mastodon to the masses!! That and theyre a huge inspiration, I mean I was disheartened when Ministry quit after all the time they were together, if Metallica quit I would genuinely be downtrodden for quite some time..

PowerMaiden
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

with all your respect my friend, how old are you, 20 ? maybe 25, so you've seen them 2 times, you can't compare what is a Metallica joke now to what a real top notch performance with full balls on they were capable of in their prime in the 80's and early 90's, when you have withnesses those glory days (like me) it's really an embarrassement to see them live now, they just can't deliver nothing, no energy, no talent, no aggressivity, they are not even able to play their old stuff ok, I've seen cover band play those songs way better, it's a shame really, they were so great back in the day .

As for today's band standart in terms of showmanship and musicianship you said it yourself, compare a Metallica performance to a Megadeth, or Slayer one and you're already in another league. And I'm not even bringing on the mighty gods in the debate.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dextrimental
10-05-2009, 12:55 PM
with all your respect my friend, how old are you, 20 ? maybe 25, so you've seen them 2 times, you can't compare what is a Metallica joke now to what a real top notch performance with full balls on they were capable of in their prime in the 80's and early 90's, when you have withnesses those glory days (like me) it's really an embarrassement to see them live now, they just can't deliver nothing, no energy, no talent, no aggressivity, they are not even able to play their old stuff ok, I've seen cover band play those songs way better, it's a shame really, they were so great back in the day .

As for today's band standart in terms of showmanship and musicianship you said it yourself, compare a Metallica performance to a Megadeth, or Slayer one and you're already in another league. And I'm not even bringing on the mighty gods in the debate.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Well yeah, I know.. I'm just pointing out the two times I've seem them have been good, but in no way would they compare to even what Iv seen on DVD from those days (ha imagine that, a young'un is agreein with you through what he's seen on a DVD), I can only imagine bein at those shows in person. And yes exactly, its poor, hence Slayer are my favorite out of the big four. And tis true, Maiden need not be mentioned :blaze:

The Ancient Mariner
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
And I'm not even bringing on the mighty gods in the debate.

I'm with you on that one PowerMaiden :rocker::blaze::rocker:

HackedUpForBBQ
10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Ride the Lightning, No Remorse AND Blackened!?!?!? Fucking killer

Fe Maiden
10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
First few times I saw them they were great! Last time I saw them they were..........meh not so good!

JRA
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Well your first show was the Ride The Lightning tour, so of course its gonna suck from there.

andrew_metalhead
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
They're still a great live band. I don't want to compare them to their live performances in the 80s and 90s because I didn't get to see those shows. I enjoyed every Metallica show that I attended in the past year or so, and will continue to enjoy them.

To those who keep saying "they play like shit", "they are only a nostalgia band", blah blah, well the thousands of people who are going to the shows on the Death Magnetic tour are not fools. Thats all.

Sanitarium78
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I saw them in '92 and '94 and those were the two best times i've seen them live. The three times i've seen them since they were still very good and i'll admit that live they've lost a few steps live since then. I know Kurt's soloing is sloppy at times now and James voice has nowhere near the power it once did but i'm not sure if they're as bad as some are saying since I haven't seen them yet this tour so maybe they have lost it i'll know for sure next month when i see them.

rjturtle9
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM

they were awesome at all 3 shows that i saw them in last year!!

passty
10-05-2009, 07:36 PM
awesome set. hopefully they'll play a little less new stuff whem they come to Toronto!!

JRA
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
To those who keep saying "they play like shit", "they are only a nostalgia band", blah blah, well the thousands of people who are going to the shows on the Death Magnetic tour are not fools. Thats all.

Um...that is a weak, weak argument.

rjturtle9
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

but since it came from the most metal guy that ever existed, you all lose

JRA
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
but since it came from the most metal guy that ever existed, you all lose

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/LOL/1/lolcopter7ro.gif

ADD
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/LOL/1/lolcopter7ro.gif
:lol:

IrritatedTrout
10-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I can't wait for the Virginia show so I can decide which side of this argument I'm on. I've never been a big Metallica fan (only have AJFA on my computer) so if they can woo me then, in my opinion, they've still got it.

andrew_metalhead
10-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Whatever. I enjoy Metallica shows. For me, thats it .. end of story. I don't see why I should "argue" over it. If others don't enjoy the show, well thats their wish. I don't feel the need to go on convincing them to attend the show and all :tongue:

Acruce_Mortem
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Whatever. I enjoy Metallica shows. For me, thats it .. end of story. I don't see why I should "argue" over it. If others don't enjoy the show, well thats their wish. I don't feel the need to go on convincing them to attend the show and all :tongue:

i was at this show, i really enjoyed myself. ive been to alot of shows but this was my first time seeing them. they really killed it. they sounded great! could have had a better song selection but thats really all you can argue about!