PDA

View Full Version : 2009: New Albums by Almost Every Badass Band Except...?

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
This might be a weird topic, and this thread might not go anywhere, but what the hell...

I was reading the "2009" thread under album releases, and many of the recent posts had folks saying that it has been an incredible year for metal, and I agree (some of you may not, but that's not the topic of this thread).

Anyway, this reminded me of a conversation I had recently with my brother about the same subject, and one of us said something to the effect of, "yeah, almost every awesome band that you could have wished would put out a new album - besides the ones who put out new albums last year, of course (let's not get greedy here) - has put out an album this year."

...and I got to thinking about it, and it's pretty much true. I mean, who hasn't put an album out this year, that you would really like to have seen do so? (and remember, if they put one out last year, give the poor bastards a break!)

My list basically consists of Tool (shut up, Mankvill ;)), Necrophagist and High on Fire - and two of those three are supposedly putting out new albums in early 2010.

Anyway, what do you think?

DethMaiden
09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Iron Maiden

</thread>

mankvill
09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I'm sick of Necrophagist pushing their album back so much. More like Duke Necrophagist Forever.

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Iron Maiden

</thread>
Well, I'll make you a deal. I'll give you Iron Maiden, but since they did put out Flight 666 let's not end the thread just yet. ;)

DethMaiden
09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, I'll make you a deal. I'll give you Iron Maiden, but since they did put out Flight 666 let's not end the thread just yet. ;)

Truth. DVD of the year! :fist:

I dunno, I'd like a new album from lots of bands, it just so happens that lots of bands did put sweet albums out both this year and last. Nevermore, for example, I've been waiting on a new album from for five years.

SomewhereInTime72
09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
WINTERSUN :bouville:

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Touche. In much need of a successor to their awesome debut.

A good one is Anthrax, not that I give two shits about em anymore, but seriously, it's gonna be 5 years. Release SOMETHING so it can be solidified that Scott Ian's a washed up lying poker obsessed Jew (not a direct insult to others of the Judaic faith :D)

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Well I am poker obsessed as well, but unlike Scott Ian I still definitely find the time for my metal, so I guess I'm OK. ;)

JRA
09-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Death

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Death

No Chuck = not interested

Chuck = Death

(I like where your head's at, tho ;))

JRA
09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
No Chuck = not interested

Chuck = Death

(I like where your head's at, tho ;))

Finally! Someone whose sarcasm detector is shittier than mine!

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Finally! Someone whose sarcasm detector is shittier than mine!

:lol: Normally not, but I guess it was today.

ChildrenofSodom
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Daylight Dies

powerslave_85
09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
New releases that I'm excited for kind of ebb and flow from year to year. Last year was a bit of a dry spell, but this year there's more good stuff than I could possibly compile into a top 10 list.

Maiden33
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I can't relate at all to the concept of this thread. I think last year totally kicked the shit out of this year, producing 4 albums I love to death and about a half-dozen more that are still in regular rotation now. This year hasn't produced much amazing material. Tops 2 or 3 GREAT albums. Most of the rest I've heard have been either good-but-not-great or disappointing (ranging from slightly to VERY). Also, many of my favorite bands and bands I love in general haven't released anything this year.

Natrlhi
09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I just thought of another one - Bolt Thrower. It's kinda moot, though, because according to them they are done putting out albums because they said they would stop after the "perfect BT album", which they consider 2005's "Those Once Loyal" to be. I just wanted to bitch that there were no BT albums in 2008 and 2009 (and I guess forever, until they go the route everyone else has and "reunite").

EDIT: Two more (that do "count") - Neurosis and Pig Destroyer (although I hear they both have albums in the works...:)).

TonyD
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Definitely missing High on Fire since they were supposed to put it out spring-summer.
But I can't complain, Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa and Devin Townsend all impressed (Dev still has one more for this year :rocker:). Alice In Chains and Megadeth were both pleasant surprises.

Natrlhi
10-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Definitely missing High on Fire since they were supposed to put it out spring-summer.
But I can't complain, Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa and Devin Townsend all impressed (Dev still has one more for this year :rocker:). Alice In Chains and Megadeth were both pleasant surprises.
As will be Russian Circles - I didn't know they had a new one in the works until at least halfway through 2009...can't wait.

ADD
10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Death

http://dkpresents.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/death-for-the-whole-world-to-see.jpg

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-01-2009, 07:14 PM

:rocker:

I love the first Wintersun album.

I'll add: Pagan's Mind. They have a live CD/DVD coming out, but I want some new material. :flame:

Wizzbang11
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I just thought of another one - Bolt Thrower. It's kinda moot, though, because according to them they are done putting out albums because they said they would stop after the "perfect BT album", which they consider 2005's "Those Once Loyal" to be. I just wanted to bitch that there were no BT albums in 2008 and 2009 (and I guess forever, until they go the route everyone else has and "reunite").

I believe they actually recorded an album and decided not to release it because they didn't feel it was good enough.
And they can't reunite, they aren't broken up.

mastodon421
10-02-2009, 09:35 AM
The only ones i can think of are High on Fire,Tool and As I Lay Dying.

xStructualDefect
10-03-2009, 01:49 PM

THIS!! pretty ironic how the albun is called Time. i remember when it was supposed to come out Dec. 2006..

JuuKun
10-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll agree with the Wintersun & Pagan's Mind ones.

I would have liked new ones from Dark Tranquillity, Tarot, and Raintime.

Also: MORGANA FUCKING LEFAY, but it can slightly be forgiven on account of Charles working with Inmoria this year.

SomewhereInTime72
10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Not metal, but King Crimson. After finally getting back together last year with their best lineup in years and doing a really successful mini-tour which includes two of the best concerts I've ever seen... to suddenly stop doing anything and have every member just go and do their own thing again is just ridiculous. They need to get back to business and write some damn music. It's been 6 years since The Power To Believe. :flame::(

ravenheart
10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Overkill
Opeth
Annihilator
Spiritual Beggars
Alice Cooper
Black Label Society
Iced Earth
Fates Warning
Judas Priest (unless the live album counts?)
Queensryche
Pentagram
Trouble
Cathedral
Rage

Fuck, too many to name haven't released this year, but will next year, or did last year.

I absolutely do not recall the last year that sucked for metal. There have been fucking great releases every year for as long as I can remember.

SomewhereInTime72
10-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Overkill
Opeth
Annihilator
Spiritual Beggars
Alice Cooper
Black Label Society
Iced Earth
Fates Warning
Judas Priest (unless the live album counts?)
Queensryche
Pentagram
Trouble
Cathedral
Rage

Fuck, too many to name haven't released this year, but will next year, or did last year.

I absolutely do not recall the last year that sucked for metal. There have been fucking great releases every year for as long as I can remember.
Well, for a few of these, they had an album out just last year, so it'd be just a little ridiculous to expect them to have one out again this year too. Also, Queensryche did release an album, but you may be forgetting it because it sort of blew. ;)

edit: holy shit i cannot stop myself from posting. and I typed this in like, 2 seconds. I'm so hyper. my tolerance for caffeine has plummeted ever since I quit daily coffee about a year and a half ago. Shame on me for thinking 3 cups of coffee would still only have a minimal effect on me :eyes:

ravenheart
10-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Damn... 'American Soldier' was this year wasn't it? Had that as a tail-end of last year release in my mind. Seems like ages ago I got it. Liked it though.

ravenheart
10-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, for a few of these, they had an album out just last year, so it'd be just a little ridiculous to expect them to have one out again this year too.

Not entirely ridiculous. Metalium release great albums every year. They've only missed two years in the last ten nine, and released a live DVD in one of those.

Natrlhi
10-06-2009, 10:14 AM
http://dkpresents.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/death-for-the-whole-world-to-see.jpg

They are a punk outfit from Detroit. Not the same. :lol:

I believe they actually recorded an album and decided not to release it because they didn't feel it was good enough.
And they can't reunite, they aren't broken up.
Technically speaking, they got together in the studio and tried, but felt it wasn't up to their standards. I can't confirm or deny whether they actually laid anything down - chances are they did, but I'm sure they didn't mix it or produce it, so in my mind anything they may have recorded is unfinished work. At any rate, I guess you're technically correct on the break-up thing, but they are certainly inactive at this point, and for the near future if not permanently according to their web site. So as I say, the only hope for another reslease is for them to decide to try again, which is essentially the same decision as a "reunion" would be. To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to.