PDA

View Full Version : This thread is the very reason I think bands should keep the same setlist.

Travis The Dragon
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
There's always been an argument on wether bands should play the same setlist every night or change it. Well, look at this thread: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11339 Now, if Metallica kept the same setlist every night, there would probably be less complaining going on. I feel the same. If a band is touring that I'm going to see and they do a song that I really want to hear on the show before mine, I might not get to hear it, but if they do that song and keep the same setlist, then I'm guaranteed to hear it. What do you think?

JRA
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
There's a flipside to that. Some visitors don't check the site very often and if a band they know is changing the set every night, and the last set the see for a night is really boring, then it can only get better from there.

ravenheart
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
What do you think?

Absolutely not. Ever.

Maiden33
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely not. Ever.

+1, more or less.

DethMaiden
09-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Absolutely not. Ever.

Seconded. Bands should at least have a couple different setlists rehearsed for every tour, and it's better yet if they can pull out a new one each night.

SomewhereInTime72
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
The same complaints happen whether bands change the setlist or not. :eyes:

Travis The Dragon
09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Put yourself in this situation:

A band is touring and decides to play your most favorite song by them. They decide to include that song in the setlist at every other show and you discover that your show does NOT include that song. Now, if they were doing the same setlist at every show and doing that song, wouldn't you be much happier?

ChildrenofSodom
09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
On one hand, if you're seeing the band, you should be familiar enough with them to like whatever they play.

On the other hand, there are just some songs you would like to see, and knowing one city got it and not you would really suck.

SomewhereInTime72
09-24-2009, 04:37 PM

A band is touring and decides to play your most favorite song by them. They decide to include that song in the setlist at every other show and you discover that your show does NOT include that song. Now, if they were doing the same setlist at every show and doing that song, wouldn't you be much happier?

A band is touring and never plays your favorite song by them. They decide to exclude that song in every setlist. Now, if they were doing the changing the setlist at every show and doing that song, wouldn't you be much happier?

It goes both ways really.

Dextrimental
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Fair point that when a band changes the setlist sometimes you can be very disppointed.. But when a band has more than one album, they should definitely change the setlist from night to night. If they keep the same setlist, then theres no hope of you hearing your favorite song if it isn't on there, whereas if its changed around, then at the very least you've the excitement that the next song could be your favorite. Keeping the same setlist takes alot of the excitement out of the show. And of course there is goin to be off nights if its changed, but at least it keeps u guessing, better or worse, whether its 'I cant believe they didn't play this song, what a bummer!' or 'I cant believe they played this song, fuckin a!'..

Maiden33
09-24-2009, 04:47 PM

A band is touring and never plays your favorite song by them. They decide to exclude that song in every setlist. Now, if they were doing the changing the setlist at every show and doing that song, wouldn't you be much happier?

It goes both ways really.

Yeah, this.

In addition, just don't ever put all of your Setlist eggs in one basket. It's a bad idea. You can't blame the band for not playing a certain song in a certain city. Just go to shows with open expectations. Frankly, barring a couple of bands known for NEVER changing setlists (Maiden, in particular), I go to any show with an open mind, because you never know. Sometimes extra songs get added, sometimes songs get switched, sometimes songs get cut due to time restrictions. You just never know. It's just best to not get hung up on it.

ravenheart
09-24-2009, 04:53 PM

No. I don't get my favourite song this time, I hope they play it next time. I don't got to see any band just for one song anyway. And if they sucked live then there won't be a next time and I won't care anyway.

b_halperin
09-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Life isn't fair that way.

its a 50/50 turn because you might go to that show they play your favorite song, or the show they don't play it.

sucks, but its true

JRA
09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
When I went to Gigantour a couple years back, I knew that Dave doesn't really change and I pretty much knew what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting fuckin Mechanix, which was an awesome surprise, even though it was only the first half of it.

And when I later saw motherfucking Liar brought back later in that tour, I was a tad bummed that he didn't play it at my show, but that's a lot better than him forgetting that song existed and not playing it at all.

SirLardsAlot
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
All bands should play their entire discographies at every gig. Everyone is pleased.

mankvill
09-24-2009, 11:22 PM
All bands should play their entire discographies at every gig. Everyone is pleased.

:horns:

I'm okay with a band not changing their setlist during a tour, but the songs better be damn good!

IrritatedTrout
09-25-2009, 06:59 AM
I much prefer bands to keep a constant setlist throughout a tour. Of course there can be exceptions when it's a special occasion but every fan across the country or countries had to pay for their ticket and they deserve an equal show IMO. I don't think this is as relevant with a smaller band, but big bands should definitely abide by this as they have some very dedicated fans who have supported them for years and who deserve to hear rare song x played in Chicago just as much as the fans in Barcelona.

ravenheart
09-25-2009, 08:03 AM
I much prefer bands to keep a constant setlist throughout a tour. Of course there can be exceptions when it's a special occasion but every fan across the country or countries had to pay for their ticket and they deserve an equal show IMO. I don't think this is as relevant with a smaller band, but big bands should definitely abide by this as they have some very dedicated fans who have supported them for years and who deserve to hear rare song x played in Chicago just as much as the fans in Barcelona.

Sounds boring to me. Live music should be dynamic, not choreographed. You wouldn't go to a sports event knowing the result, or a comedy show knowing which jokes they're going to tell.

You'll be wanting the dance moves just like in the video on MTV next.

JuuKun
09-25-2009, 09:01 AM
I figure bands should switch it up - maybe not EVERY night, but often enough. Unless the tour has a special gimmick - a fan voted set, mainly rarely-played songs, or the like, I think bands should switch it up during a tour. I've never bought a ticket for a concert just to see one song. I love being surprised by song choices.

Fe Maiden
09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
If a band is playing 2 or more nights in a city, then each night should be changed up a bit.

b_halperin
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds boring to me. Live music should be dynamic, not choreographed. You wouldn't go to a sports event knowing the result, or a comedy show knowing which jokes they're going to tell.

You'll be wanting the dance moves just like in the video on MTV next.

Very well put.

IrritatedTrout
09-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Live music is dynamic. The audience is different every night, the way the musicians lock in with each other is different every night, and every gig has a different atmosphere. And guess what? Shows ARE choreographed, to an extent at least.

Oh, and I'm not sure what you're prattling on about MTV for.

SomewhereInTime72
09-25-2009, 02:47 PM
And guess what? Shows ARE choreographed, to an extent at least.

Major difference between choreographed and planned, dude.

IrritatedTrout
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Fine, shows are planned. But changing the language doesn't change my point. Live music is dynamic even if a set remains the same.

Maiden33
09-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Fine, shows are planned. But changing the language doesn't change my point. Live music is dynamic even if a set remains the same.

I agree, but I just can not, from a musician's standpoint, imagine why a band would WANT to keep the same setlist every night. Fuck, my band averages about a dozen shows a year and I still get bored and tired if we have to stick to the same songs. Not to mention we only have ever had about 15 originals and about 5 rotating covers, let alone a multi-album discography with tons of music people know and love. I just can't imagine how musicians would WANT to just go out every night and play the exact same setlist. It just seems like an excuse to be lazy.
All in all, I think the best case scenario is when a band plays a mixture. If a set is 15 songs, I like it when maybe 10 of the songs are the same every night (the set openers, closers, encore closer, etc), but the other 5 or so are picked from a set of rotating songs, and vary night to night. That way you have your standard hits and live favorites in every city to prevent the casual fan bitching, but you have a lot of variety show-to-show so it doesn't get boring, and people can feel that sense of surprise at a show. That's the thing. When I'm at a show, if a band deviates from the setlist and throws in a song I like that I wasn't expecting, there's nothing better. When you have the same set every night, you know exactly what you're getting before you even go.