Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Die, Die My Darling
Hit The Lights
Seek and Destroy

Source: metontour.com

Only one song from RTL and MOP. Not a very good set, although they are playing another show there tomorrow so maybe they are saving the good stuff

Indestructible
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess everyone thinks what they want but you have The Shortest Straw witch I dont think has been played at all this tour. Also Bells and Blackened.Bells,Blackened and The Shortest Straw make it a great set to me.

desape
09-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I guess everyone thinks what they want but you have The Shortest Straw witch I dont think has been played at all this tour. Also Bells and Blackened.Bells,Blackened and The Shortest Straw make it a great set to me.

Agree nice set also last time they played Shortest was 1997

brother2
09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
The Shortest Straw

Not a very good set

saving the good stuff

does not compute

shit man, they played The Shortest fucking Straw, lol what more do you want?

eyekantspele
09-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Look, the fact that they played shortest straw is great but im just not a fan of the lack of RTL and MOP songs. I could have done without Turn the page and Die Die my darling.

HugeRockStar
09-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I was front row at the show and it was fucking awesome. For all the shit they get, nobody puts on a show like Metallica. Also Lars doesn't deserve half the shit he gets, dude does not stop for over 2 hours. He may not be as good technically as he once was, but he really gives every ounce of energy he has and he is so fun as hell to watch that it doesn't matter.

As far as the setlist, I was pleased. I notice they sometimes have a 'Master night' or 'Ride night', well tonight was 'Justice night' and thats fine by me. Shortest Straw, Blackened, Hit The Lights, For Whom The Bell Tolls, thats good enough for me. Seeing them again tomorrow night so they'll probably play more Ride and Master.

If anyone's interested in Gojira's set its
Oroborus
The Heaviest Matter In The Universe
Backbone
Flying Whales
Toxic Garbage Island
Vacuity

hellawaits77ny
09-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I wish they woulda saved Straw for night 2!

kornisdabomb
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
how can you complain when u get shortest straw blackened and hit the lights

MetalIsArt
09-20-2009, 01:17 AM
how can you complain when u get shortest straw blackened and hit the lights

Because with Metallica, people always complain and yet, they keep on selling many records & selling out... every seat in the house.

"PLAYZ TEH SHORTEZT STRAWZ!!!" They do it and still people are not happy.

makethemsuffer12
09-20-2009, 05:58 AM
They better play Shortest Straw at MSG night 1! If night 2 gets a better set I'm gonna be pretty pissed haha

PowerMaiden
09-20-2009, 06:54 AM
going tonight !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I have some questions to those who complain about Metallica's sets. Have you ever seen them live? Which do you think is worse doing nothing off the first 4 albums or doing one off each to make sure the albums are at least represented in each set? Yes I want my favotire song from them Creeping Death to be played every night like it used to but that's not happening anymore. No matter the song selection you're not gonna see a metal band but on a better bigtime show than them except for Iron Maiden. Just stop the complaining really what does it accomplish? I used to bitch about NEM being in the set but I don't anymore because what's the point? It doesn't change anything. Don't complain for the sake of doing it you aren't getting anywhere at all by doing so.

passty
09-20-2009, 09:58 AM
too much Death Magnetic for me. I mean I know that they're touring to promote the album and all, but seriously, I think people want to hear more old stuff!!!

also... WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO CREEPING DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fratt
09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
shit man, they played The Shortest fucking Straw, lol what more do you want?

Creeping Death ? Fade to Black ? Sanitarium ? ...

Too much Death Magnetic, but otherwise a good set. I must say I was really pleased with James' voice, he really suprised me.

Lamb of God and Gojira were awesome too, tough I sometimes wondered if I was the only Gojira fan in the Bell Center :(

HugeRockStar
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Too much Death Magnetic, but otherwise a good set. I must say I was really pleased with James' voice, he really suprised me.

Lamb of God and Gojira were awesome too, tough I sometimes wondered if I was the only Gojira fan in the Bell Center :(

Nah there were 2 fans, me and you lol. I was pissed that the crowd didn't give Gojira the time of day. Even LOG didn't get that much of a reaction from where I was.

HugeRockStar
09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Found this on the metclub board, Shortest Straw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Kx16QbCMc&feature=channel

Fratt
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Nah there were 2 fans, me and you lol. I was pissed that the crowd didn't give Gojira the time of day. Even LOG didn't get that much of a reaction from where I was.

same for me. Though there was some LoG fans in the spot I was, and we even started a mini-Wall of Death during Black Label ! It was funny to see all the wannabe-metalheads horrified by the fighting :P

MetalIsArt
09-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I have some questions to those who complain about Metallica's sets. Have you ever seen them live? Which do you think is worse doing nothing off the first 4 albums or doing one off each to make sure the albums are at least represented in each set? Yes I want my favotire song from them Creeping Death to be played every night like it used to but that's not happening anymore. No matter the song selection you're not gonna see a metal band but on a better bigtime show than them except for Iron Maiden. Just stop the complaining really what does it accomplish? I used to bitch about NEM being in the set but I don't anymore because what's the point? It doesn't change anything. Don't complain for the sake of doing it you aren't getting anywhere at all by doing so.

Most of the whiners don't even know most Metallica songs I'm sure.

MetalIsArt
09-21-2009, 01:13 AM

There are bands that make a new album and play maybe one or two songs from it. What's the point of that?

MetalIsArt
09-21-2009, 01:15 AM
too much Death Magnetic for me. I mean I know that they're touring to promote the album and all, but seriously, I think people want to hear more old stuff!!!

also... WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO CREEPING DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Werchter we got:

Creeping Death
Master Of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
One
Blackened
Seek & Destroy
Hit The Lights
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Indestructible
09-21-2009, 06:55 AM
I guess people cant be happy with the sets they get Metallica plays THE SHORTEST STRAW the first time since 97 and people still complain.

Fratt
09-21-2009, 09:56 AM
There are bands that make a new album and play maybe one or two songs from it. What's the point of that?

And there's Metallica that makes a new album and play 6 (six !!!) songs from it. For fuck's sake it's the same length than the entire Gojira's set !

Don't get me wrong, I like their new album, but I think everyone agree it's not as good as their classic stuff, so what's the point of playing 6 songs from it ?

At least they didn't played my apocalypse ... :hecho:

jhdeity
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
WOW. 1 song doesn't make a setlist. I know Shortest Straw is a fan favorite and I love it but I've been with Metallica since No Life til Leather and I wouldn't have been happy with this setlist. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6 at best.

Remember we see all the setlists they do so having a healthy debate isn't a bad thing. To say someone is crying or whining is idiotic in all reality.

Personally I'd rather hear ANY song off Kill em all other than Seek and Destroy. Add in the cheesy sing-a-long and they could play Phantom Lord AND Metal Militia to reward the old school crew.

Creeping Death should be in the NEM slot as a staple played every night. And for god's sake mix up the DM stuff. The 1st time I listened to the cd I thought Judas Kiss was the best song and still do to this day.

No one is arguing that you don't get your money's worth with Metallica but with them selling cd's of their shows and posting their own setlists you would think they wouldn't be posting setlists that make it seem they're just going through the motions. Just my 2 cents.

IrritatedTrout
09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Creeping Death should be in the NEM slot as a staple played every night

:agree:

Sanitarium78
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I like DM and if the songs are getting a good reaction live I understand why they would do six off it. If they weren't getting a positive response to them they'd probably only 2 a night off it like they did during the St. Anger tour. That being said I think they should not open with the DM stuff and open with two old songs instead. Make something like Blackened/Creeping Death or Battery/FWTBT the opening one, two punch for the show and leave 4 spots a night for DM songs and just rotate them every night so all the songs they've been playing off it this tour still get in the set. It should really be the new stuff that gets rotation not the old staples. But no matter what we say it isn't gonna change the bands mind at all.

andrew_metalhead
09-21-2009, 02:02 PM
No need to complain. Their US setlists are always like this. The Europe set lists are a huge contrast to these. The turnout, response, crowd participation and the overall atmostphere is much better at European shows thats why they are rewarded with the older classics. Copenhagen was sold out five nights in a row. I can't imagine that being the case with any city in North America.

When I see videos of Europe, I feel that everyone in the crowd is getting involved in the show. Here in the US when I go to shows, I see 90% of the crowd eating nachos and drinking beer, sitting comfortably in their seats. And you expect the band to play their rarest songs for such crowds??

This is just how I see it. I'm neither European nor American. I will continue to go to their shows because I love their music, but I wish to see them in Europe at least once to get the REAL Metallica experience.

Sanitarium78
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
No need to complain. Their US setlists are always like this. The Europe set lists are a huge contrast to these. The turnout, response, crowd participation and the overall atmostphere is much better at European shows thats why they are rewarded with the older classics. Copenhagen was sold out five nights in a row. I can't imagine that being the case with any city in North America.

When I see videos of Europe, I feel that everyone in the crowd is getting involved in the show. Here in the US when I go to shows, I see 90% of the crowd eating nachos and drinking beer, sitting comfortably in their seats. And you expect the band to play their rarest songs for such crowds??

This is just how I see it. I'm neither European nor American. I will continue to go to their shows because I love their music, but I wish to see them in Europe at least once to get the REAL Metallica experience.

I with you on the European crowds. Not only with Metallica but with every other band they are way more passionate but to think that they get better sets because Metallica is "rewarding" them for being like that really makes the band look like a bunch of assholes if that's truely the case.

I'm not sure where you've seen them here in the states but in November it'll be my sixth time and i've never once been to a show where 90 percent of the people where just "sitting there comfortablely with beer and nachos". Every show i've been to from them the people are into it from begining to end cheering and singing along as loud as possible.

To think that Metallica would not do a song like Creeping Death that should be in every night without question because the crowds here don't act as good as they do there doesn't make sense. You should be rewarding your fans for coming out period. No matter if the reaction is better somewhere else to a certian song. The one thing in this whole debate we've forgotten to mention though is that they record and offer a download of every show off their site and in order to get people to buy them they switch the sets most nights and that's the real reason why the sets are the way they are.

andrew_metalhead
09-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I wasn't talking about Creeping Death. I was talking about the set lists in general. Even I saw them six times last year. I didn't feel the same vibe as what you are talking about.

Sanitarium78
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
I wasn't talking about Creeping Death. I was talking about the set lists in general. Even I saw them six times last year. I didn't feel the same vibe as what you are talking about.

I know you weren't talking about Creeping Death at all I was just using the song as an example of something that should be in every night. What cities did you see them play in last year? I haven't seen them since 2004 so maybe the dynamic with the audience has changed and they're aren't as into it anymore. I'll deffinately pay more attention to that when I see them in November. Another reason people maybe more into here in Buffalo than other places is because over the last almost ten years now we get less and less big name shows coming here and Metallica is one of the few bands who still come here every tour so maybe people here are more up for it because of that. AC/DC is playing here next month for the first time since 1996 just to give you an example of how it goes around here with big time shows. I could see fans in the larger cities like NY or LA having a "whatever" attitude when they go to see a band because they get the major shows all the time.

andrew_metalhead
09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
yea i agree. u must be right about the Buffalo part. I saw them in LA (X3), San Diego, Ontario and Tucson.

xStructualDefect
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I could see fans in the larger cities like NY or LA having a "whatever" attitude when they go to see a band because they get the major shows all the time.

i can see what you're saying because i live in LA and yes we do pretty much get every tour that comes to the west coast, if not that then maybe an hour or two drive. so the attitude with a lot of fans probably are whatever like you said here because they know if they for some reason can't make the show they can just see the band another time when they tour in the next few months or next year.

and @ andrew metalhead i agree with you i saw Metallica at the forum last year on the second date. i had floor tix. amazing performance, but it seems like not everyone in the crowd was participating. a lot of people did look very chill and comfortable watching the band instead of being active and singing along the words.

MetalIsArt
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
European crowds are always into it, man.

Travis The Dragon
09-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Too much Death Magnetic

Well, that's the album they're touring for so it only makes sense that most of the songs in the set come from it. For the most part, that's how it always is when a band is touring for a new album.

MetalIsArt
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
:) " too much death magnetic "too much black album" "no battery" "no shortest straw" "no blahblah"