PDA

View Full Version : Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
When I found that AIC would be releasing another album, I was stoked. It would be a) a comeback album, b) a showcase of Cantrell's new skills since the self titled, and c) DuVall's debut (whom I already thought was a great fit for AIC). When I heard "A Looking In View", I was a bit dissappointed, I'm not going to lie. I know it got a lot of good feedback, but I just didn't think it had that AIC charm to it. Then came "Check My Brain", which was worse than ALIV for me, so I had medium hopes for this after hearing those two. They weren't necessarily bad, but it just wasn't what I was hoping. Now, after hearing the album, I can most definitely say that it is a very strong release for Alice and frankly, it's fuckin' awesome. It's always a great feeling when songs released don't really hit you, and then the album comes out and BAM! It's so rare now-in-days too, usually the best songs are released first then the album sucks or is not as good as that one song (Sonata Arctica comes to mind, and many others I just can't think of at the moment). Now obviously I'd prefer all the songs to be great, but I digress. This album is really awesome, signature AIC for sure. The opening track "All Secrets Known" has that great, catchy tune to it that can get stuck in your head, and DuVall just rips on the vocals. A definite pleasant tune to start the record. It then goes into "Check My Brain", which after giving it another listen, is not as bad as I made it out to be. Still not great, but listenable for sure. "Last Of My Kind" easily became a highlight immediately upon my first listen. The incredibly catchy chorus and the groove just got me hooked, one of my favorite tracks for sure. The sorta ballad "Your Decision" was really cool too, very atmospheric musically and clearly meaningful in terms of lyrics, which combined lead to a very strong ballad/mellower song. "A Looking In View", like "Check My Brain", also improved on my listen through the album, I don't know whether it's because the other tracks were really good or because I needed more listens, nor do I care. Following, "When The Sun Rose Again" has a really cool acoustic intro that is very very....amazing. I really don't know how to describe it. The percussion in the background gives it a sort of Spanish feel, fantastic track. So beautiful, honestly one of the most emotional tracks I've heard, it hit me very hard (in a good way). Also one of my favorites on the album. "Acid Bubble" is a typical AIC song, easily could see it on Dirt or something. The intro is very sluggy and slow, signature AIC. It starts with an insanely catchy riff around 3 minutes, and the song builds up so much energy and groove, another great track. "Lesson Learned" is another to-be classic AIC track, great catchy chorus, great solo, great riffage. A perfect example of the album really. "Take Her Out" has an awesome groove in the beginning and end, and the middle is all top notch as well, arguably my favorite track on the record. "Private Hell" is a beautiful track that has great melody, very reminiscent of "Down In A Hole". Finally, the title track is a full on ballad, piano and the works. Beautiful track as well, and concluding this album, I've realized that Alice In Chains are a band that have some of the most emotional tracks in metal to be honest. There is something about Cantrell's music-making skills that just make him so unique. And DuVall really was the perfect fit for this band, fantastic debut, very proud of him. All in all, great, great record. Will most likely crack it's way into my top 10 somehow, we'll see just where by December. So give it a listen, please! That concludes this lengthy review :D

http://www.oktoberpromotion.com/files/shared/AIC_BGWTBcvrLORES_0.jpg

DethMaiden
09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
LEARN TO USE PARAGRAPHS :( :(

That said, I did not like A Looking in View one bit and the lack of Layne still makes this look like a cash grab from my perspective so I don't plan on hearing this.

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
LEARN TO USE PARAGRAPHS :( :(

That said, I did not like A Looking in View one bit and the lack of Layne still makes this look like a cash grab from my perspective so I don't plan on hearing this.

I don't need to learn, I know how ;)

In all seriousness, PLEASE listen to it man. I can sort of understand why you don't want to listen to it, but your making a mistake. This is no cash grab, just listen to it and give it a chance.

DethMaiden
09-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't need to learn, I know how ;)

In all seriousness, PLEASE listen to it man. I can sort of understand why you don't want to listen to it, but your making a mistake. This is no cash grab, just listen to it and give it a chance.

If it becomes convenient or I become bored I will but it's not on my short list. I barely even like the last AIC album with Layne, so I'm not sure why fifteen years later they'd be doing anything better.

es156
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM

:tp: :tp:

jhdeity
09-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Very cool review. I like Check my Brain a lot and am sure this cd will be in my car stereo for weeks on end.

1 for one don't mind a wall of text. Sometimes if you're really passionate about something you just don't want to stop typing or think about anything else.

300%_Density
09-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Honestly I have been waiting for this for awhile. There are always going to be people that are going to think of this as a cash grab and those who think its genuine and more of a tribute to layne. Me personally I don't think it is but thats just an opinion, doesn't mean anymore than anyone else's opinion. It can be argued forever but there is no point to it so I don't get why it should be brought up. I've never got to see AIC and I'm going to be excited to see them when they come out on tour. If you never like AIC to begin w/ what's the point of posting about it to begin w/?

jhdeity
09-28-2009, 05:06 AM
I really like this cd. The 1st 3 songs are bad ass. My favorite AIC songs are normally the slower songs like Junkhead, Got Me Wrong, Down in a Hole, Love, Hate, Love, Sunshine and I Stay Away.

With the new cd I like the heavier tunes and the slower ones have yet to grow on me. Kinda weird.

Also by listening to this cd it got me back into Tripod. What an incredible cd that is after a year or so of not hearing it.

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
I really like this cd. The 1st 3 songs are bad ass. My favorite AIC songs are normally the slower songs like Junkhead, Got Me Wrong, Down in a Hole, Love, Hate, Love, Sunshine and I Stay Away.

With the new cd I like the heavier tunes and the slower ones have yet to grow on me. Kinda weird.

Also by listening to this cd it got me back into Tripod. What an incredible cd that is after a year or so of not hearing it.

Yeah man, this record is really awesome. I've been listening to it almost nonstop for the past week or so. I love all the tracks, the heavy ones and the slow ones completely got me upon first listen. Such a shame I can't see em live :(

TonyD
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah man, this record is really awesome. I've been listening to it almost nonstop for the past week or so. I love all the tracks, the heavy ones and the slow ones completely got me upon first listen. Such a shame I can't see em live :(

Sold out or no date?

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Sold out or no date?

No date near me and realistic enough :(

And plus, I think it's sold out too.

Sanitarium78
09-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I really like this album a lot. They do a great job of recreating the old AIC sound and still giving it a newer feel when Duval sings more like him than Layne. When i listen to this I picture Layne singing and not Duval which probably is because i'm more used to Staley's voice and Duval does do a good job of re-creating Layne's vocal style though not as good. I liked ALIV when I first heard it and immediately thought "Hell yeah they're back!" I didn't like CMB as much on the first listen but after a few times I really dug that one as well.

Other ones that are really good are Last Of My Kind, Your Decision, Acid Bubble and Private Hell which maybe my favorite on the album. Does anyone else think that the voice that says "I Feel Cold" in Private Hell kinda sounds like the ghost of Layne? It's kinda creepy.

Now they just need to get a tour date in Buffalo or Rochester so I can go see them.

Indestructible
10-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Great Album.Top 3 of the year for me. He sounds like Layne.Its a nice tribute to Layne. Im not good at giving reviews I can give you my song ranking.

Private Hell
All Secrets Known
A Looking In View
Acid bubble
Last Of My Kind
Black Gives Way To Blue
Your Decision
Lesson Learned
When the Sun Rose Again
Take Her out
Check My Brain

DethMaiden
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Alright, I listened, and I wasn't disappointed. There is definitely cool shit on here - "All Secrets Known" might be one of the best songs they've done, in fact. But people really need to stop hailing it as this amazing album because I think more than anything they're just excited that an AIC disc without Layne doesn't suck, and that the new guy actually sounds like Layne at times. Good album, but not up to the hype.

TonyD
10-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Alright, I listened, and I wasn't disappointed. There is definitely cool shit on here - "All Secrets Known" might be one of the best songs they've done, in fact. But people really need to stop hailing it as this amazing album because I think more than anything they're just excited that an AIC disc without Layne doesn't suck, and that the new guy actually sounds like Layne at times. Good album, but not up to the hype.

I don't think it was hyped that much, maybe you thought too much of "it doesn't suck, it's pretty good".
From first listen it was on par with what I was expecting, and it's only gotten better the more I listen to it imo.
I'll take the time to post a legit review at some point.

DethMaiden
10-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm kinda going by the fact that from five reviews it has a 95% on Metal-Archives, the highest rating of any of their albums. Uhhhh, no. Better than the self-titled, but not better than any of the others I don't think.