PDA

View Full Version : Takashi Miike films

mankvill
09-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Has anyone here seen Takashi Miike films?

His two most famous films, in my opinion, are Ichi the Killer and Audition, but I haven't seen them. I have seen Izo and Gozu, though (fucking excellent and weird films). Any recommendations? I was thinking of ordering Ichi the Killer and Dead Or Alive 1 from him.

rjturtle9
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I've seen Ichi and i own Audition. He's my personal favorite director.

Natrlhi
09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I work with a guy who is into Takashi Miike's films. Those two films are the ones he always talks about. He says Audition is one of the most twisted flicks he has ever seen...apparently it includes a scene that he either will never watch again, or has never watched to this day because the content is something he thinks would be too much to watch (or something like that).

Anyway, this guy is way into all kinds of Asian horror stuff, and because of him the two films you mentioned are also in my Blockbuster queue (or at least Ichi is - I don't know if they have Audition or not).

Anyway, if you are looking for fucked up Asian horror films, it sounds like you are on the right track.

P.S. - I liked all three of the Oldboy trilogy of movies a lot - get those if you haven't seen them already. I also liked A Tale of Two Sisters, The Host, and of course the original Asian versions of the Americanized flicks like The Ring, The Grudge and Dark Water.

SomewhereInTime72
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
posting in a japan thread

rjturtle9
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
if you really wanna see a fucked up Takashi Miike film, look up Visitor Q. seriously the most bizarre shit i have ever seen in my life. go watch it now!

mankvill
09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
if you really wanna see a fucked up Takashi Miike film, look up Visitor Q. seriously the most bizarre shit i have ever seen in my life. go watch it now!

After I've told people I've watched Izo and Gozu, that's the next film they mention as being really fucked up as well. :allan:

I bought Ichi the Killer today. My collection begins!

rjturtle9
09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
After I've told people I've watched Izo and Gozu, that's the next film they mention as being really fucked up as well. :allan:

I bought Ichi the Killer today. My collection begins!

You have no idea what your in for. It's seriously the craziest movie I have ever seen.

good luck man. i only have 2 of his movies. I wanna get more

Wizzbang11
09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
You have no idea what your in for. It's seriously the craziest movie I have ever seen.

It's not THAT crazy.

rjturtle9
09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
It's not THAT crazy.

it's weird! just strange as fuck. and very disturbing.

mankvill
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM

good luck man. i only have 2 of his movies. I wanna get more

Which 2?

Gozu and Izo are really awesome.

Izo is better than Gozu, but it's a lot more hard to follow. Nearly impossible.

But Gozu is great too. They're both fucked up.

rjturtle9
09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Which 2?

Gozu and Izo are really awesome.

Izo is better than Gozu, but it's a lot more hard to follow. Nearly impossible.

But Gozu is great too. They're both fucked up.

i haven't seen those. i have Audition and visitor Q

mankvill
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
cool. is Audition straight-up horror?

rjturtle9
09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Everyone classifies it as horror but i felt more like a suspense film more than anything else. not really scary either. just a lil gross towards the end.

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Just saw Gozu tonight. I've heard it called the Japanese Eraserhead, and while it isn't nearly as good as Eraserhead, I can dig that comparison.

SPOILERS

Dude crawling out of vagina scene is crazy. :eek:

mankvill
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Watch Izo now. :shred:

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Watch Izo now. :shred:

Netflix doesn't have it streaming, and my DVD queue is long as hell right now, but I might get to it.

mankvill
06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Netflix doesn't have it streaming, and my DVD queue is long as hell right now, but I might get to it.

Izo is infinitely more fucked up/surreal than Gozu. If I had to rank, I'd say:

1. Izo
2. Ichi
3. Gozu
4. Audition

But they're all fantastic.

Audition is definitely streaming, as is Ichi.

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Izo is infinitely more fucked up/surreal than Gozu. If I had to rank, I'd say:

1. Izo
2. Ichi
3. Gozu
4. Audition

But they're all fantastic.

Audition is definitely streaming, as is Ichi.

Sheeeit, all but the best one. Ain't that how it goes.

mankvill
06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Sheeeit, all but the best one. Ain't that how it goes.

My friend let me borrow a bootlegged version when I was in the dorms. After I watched it, I was just like "WHAT THE FUCK?" and I went online to look up just exactly wtf was going on and there are tons of sites devoted to the film and its symbolism and stuff.

DethMaiden
06-08-2010, 07:47 PM
My friend let me borrow a bootlegged version when I was in the dorms. After I watched it, I was just like "WHAT THE FUCK?" and I went online to look up just exactly wtf was going on and there are tons of sites devoted to the film and its symbolism and stuff.

Yeah, I'm sorta obsessed with learning all about David Lynch movies, and I can see how people would feel the same about Miike movies. But I do have a fair amount of bias for American and European movies over Asian ones. Not saying it's right, but it's just my taste. Give me every David Lynch movie over Gozu, as interesting as it was.

mankvill
06-08-2010, 07:47 PM
:rocker: