PDA

View Full Version : ProgPower USA XI

JuuKun
09-12-2009, 03:51 AM
LINEUP ANNOUNCED! The #5 slots on both of the main days are particularly important, seeing as how Saturday's alone assures that I'll be there, and I think Friday's might solidify Maiden33's attendance. Pretty awesome lineup all-around, though.

Wednesday (9/08)
Seven Kingdoms
Vangough
Ross the Boss

Thursday (9/09)
Six Minute Century
Borealis
Leprous
Accept

Friday (9/10)
Illusion Suite
Leaves' Eyes
Seventh Wonder
Tyr
Turisas
Nocturnal Rites
Kamelot

Saturday (9/11)
Paradox
Stormwarrior
Oceans of Sadness
DGM
Delain
Tarot
Hammerfall

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm honestly really disappointed by this. Nocturnal Rites and Seventh Wonder were the two bands I most wanted to see, so I will definitely be trying to attend, but aside from that there's not much about this I like. I've seen Kamelot and Hammerfall and both weren't that great live. I honestly expected a lot more out of headliners. Aside from that I just am not a very big fan of a lot of these bands. I'm really hoping they have some quality bands on Wednesday/Thursday, otherwise it's going to be hard for me to justify going.

JuuKun
09-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Oh. I so called that wrong. For some reason thought NR would have been a huge deal for you (like Tarot was for me).

I've wanted to see Kamelot for awhile, I have the One Cold Winter's Night DVD and it's phenomenal, so I'm hoping it's the same at ProgPower. I'm pleased with the lineup overall, haven't seen any of those bands except Tyr (who were a pleasant surprise on the lineup, like them quite a bit). I don't think there's a band on there that I don't like - could it have been better? Yeah, but Tarot's such a big deal for me that what could have been doesn't mean anything to me.

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Exactly when is this? I tried looking at the official site and it said it was yesterday and today, which doesn't make much sense at all.

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Exactly when is this? I tried looking at the official site and it said it was yesterday and today, which doesn't make much sense at all.

It'll be approximately mid-September of next year.

@JuuKun:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, Nocturnal Rites ARE a huge deal for me. The fact that I would even consider an almost $1,000-trip just for them is insane. I'm just pretty disappointed with the line up as a whole.

SerpentineVIVIVI
09-12-2009, 07:15 AM
It'll be approximately mid-September of next year.

Blah, fuck it. Too far away, and I'll definitely be in school then if it's mid September. Oh well.

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 07:24 AM
It'll be September 8th-11th, 2010. The two nights announced here are the 10th and 11th. I guess it'll make a good amount of sense for this to be my year considering I'd be leaving on my birthday or the day after.

Spiral_Slave
09-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm there

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm there

If we decide now that we're both gonna do this, it makes sense to book a room together, especially if you're coming alone. We'll have to talk about it.

JuuKun
09-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Yeah, the site's still focusing on this year's installment, which is going on right now. The lineup was announced via video after Crimson Glory's set last night.

@Maiden33 - Yeah, I get what you're saying. Of the 12 bands, I know and like 8, and haven't heard the other 4 yet, so pretty nice lineup as far as my tastes are concerned. Plus, y'know, still reeling from the fact that Tarot is playing.

And, looking at it on paper, the lineup's pretty good (IMO, anyway) - but that's never where it ends. Still two more days to be announced. Plus other rabbits Glenn decides to pull out of the hat - special sets, guest appearances, etc etc. What may not seem like the most travel-worthy lineup yet to some might change with more announcements to be made.

The Artmore hotel (formerly the Granada Suites), which is the closest hotel to the venue, is apparently being blocked exclusively for PPUSA next year. During the festival, it's apparently going to be just attendees, crew, and some of the bands (who are going to be split across three hotels). All floors, all rooms - just ProgPower.

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, the site's still focusing on this year's installment, which is going on right now. The lineup was announced via video after Crimson Glory's set last night.

@Maiden33 - Yeah, I get what you're saying. Of the 12 bands, I know and like 8, and haven't heard the other 4 yet, so pretty nice lineup as far as my tastes are concerned. Plus, y'know, still reeling from the fact that Tarot is playing.

And, looking at it on paper, the lineup's pretty good (IMO, anyway) - but that's never where it ends. Still two more days to be announced. Plus other rabbits Glenn decides to pull out of the hat - special sets, guest appearances, etc etc. What may not seem like the most travel-worthy lineup yet to some might change with more announcements to be made.

The Artmore hotel (formerly the Granada Suites), which is the closest hotel to the venue, is apparently being blocked exclusively for PPUSA next year. During the festival, it's apparently going to be just attendees, crew, and some of the bands (who are going to be split across three hotels). All floors, all rooms - just ProgPower.

Yeah, I saw the announcement about The Artmore. I'd love to stay there, but I can only assume it's not the most economical hotel, it looks super-nice and relatively expensive. Chances are the hotel is the one thing I will skimp on considering I don't care where I stay, I just need a bed for 4 nights.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of Wednesday and Thursday. I'm hoping they don't fuck around and wait until like early next year to announce them because a good show either night should take me from 95% to a full 100%. I'd love to see someone like Bloodbound or something on one of the other nights.

I'm just particularly upset with the headliners. The other bands are always a gamble because everyone likes different bands and you can't ever have a perfect roster. But the headliners should've been more special. Kamelot tour the US so much it's not even remotely special to see them, and I honestly don't think more than half of the respectable prog/power community even cares about Hammerfall anymore. I think given a year in which Redemption and Blind Guardian will be supporting new releases, and Masterplan is back together with Jorn, they could've probably done something better.
If I had to guess, I'm guessing this is a result of them having to go so out of their way to finally get Nocturnal Rites and Tarot, which people have been begging for for years. There's a couple of a huge surpries on this list, so I guess they had to play it safe with the headliners.

JuuKun
09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Hotel-wise, I'm hoping to be able to stay at the Artmore, but will have to see. I wouldn't be rooming by myself, so it's a cost I'd be splitting with a few people, so it might work out. But, really, more concerned about the show.

It's never fucking around that causes the announcements to come so late. It's securing the bands - the Showcase announcement got pushed back multiple times because of having to secure the bands. But you never know. Bloodbound would be awesome, have to agree.

I see what you're saying about the headliners, though. Hammerfall - eh, I think they're fun, so no complaints. That was my exact thought about Kamelot (even if I haven't seen them before). However, since it's not really common for a band who tours the US even at the level of frequency as Kamelot to play, I've got a feeling there's going to be a gimmick of some sort - maybe an album played in full (Before they pulled out a few years back, Nevermore was meant to do "Dreaming Neon Black"), maybe an especially long set (Evergrey did a marathon set of I think 3 hours a few years ago), or something else entirely. I might be completely wrong, I think something might get pulled out of the hat.

ravenheart
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Friday
Illusion Suite

Saturday
Paradox
Tarot

Great bands, but never seen them.

Friday
Stormwarrior
Seventh Wonder

Saturday
DGM

OK bands, never seen.

Friday
Kamelot

Saturday
Hammerfall

Great bands, average live.

Friday
Tyr

Good, and good live.

Friday
Nocturnal Rites

Awful live.

There ends my assessment. All in, I'd probably go on Saturday, but Friday is weak. Only really Illusion Suite I'd really care about, with a couple of the others as bonuses but not worth travelling for. Saturday for me would be entirely about Paradox and Tarot. The rest are icing.

JRA
09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
If we decide now that we're both gonna do this, it makes sense to book a room together, especially if you're coming alone. We'll have to talk about it.

:naughty:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm at ProgPower X right now. Orphaned Land just finished and I'm anxiously awaiting Pagan's Mind. Had my picture taken with Nils and Ronny of PM. I'll post it later.

JuuKun
09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm at ProgPower X right now. Orphaned Land just finished and I'm anxiously awaiting Pagan's Mind. Had my picture taken with Nils and Ronny of PM. I'll post it later.

Awesome. How were Orphaned Land? Had I gone, they would have been my third most-anticipated band (behind PM and Sabaton).

Enjoy PM. They're so awesome live.

Maiden33
09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Awful live.

You are the only person I know who has seen Noc and thought they were anything less than fantastic. They still sit #1 atop my desired to-see list, and I have every intention of making this trip almost entirely for them. If they offer individual day tickets I may actually just buy for Friday and go home on Saturday. The only bands I really care about are Nocturnal Rites, Seventh Wonder, Stormwarrior, Kamelot, and possibly Illusion Suite. I wouldn't mind seeing Hammerfall or DGM, but I wouldn't drop an extra $60 + additional charges just to see them.

ravenheart
09-13-2009, 03:55 AM
They always do individual day tickets closer to the time if it hasn't completely sold out with weekend tickets.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Awesome. How were Orphaned Land? Had I gone, they would have been my third most-anticipated band (behind PM and Sabaton).

Enjoy PM. They're so awesome live.

Orphaned Land was great. I only knew a couple of their songs before I went, but I defenitely want to check out more of their stuff.

Coincidentally, Orphaned Land is in the same terminal as me at the Atlanta airport. I saw them checking in and I just saw a couple of them in the starbucks.

Pagan's Mind was worth the 4 year wait to see them and Fates Warning was awesome.

I'll post a PM and FW set list soon.

JuuKun
10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I am proud to announce the addition of Leaves' Eyes to the ProgPower USA XI roster. They will be performing on Friday night following Stormwarrior. Details on their set will be announced when the new ProgPower USA website is launched in a few days.

Please note that there will be no additional ticket charges nor will any other bands have their set times cut. This is a bonus for all attendees.

Figured anyone interested in attending would want to know. I've heard some bad things about LE live, but I'll still give them a shot. Cool of him to give us the extra band. According to another post made, doors will open 45 or so minutes earlier to accommodate for the additional band.

ravenheart
10-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I saw Leaves' Eyes a couple of years back. They were as good as they are on record, however good you find them on record...

Maiden33
10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I swear, next year easily holds the record thus far for the most bands playing ProgPower I just don't give a flying fuck about. I will not be going unless they can somehow give me something amazing on Thursday night.

JuuKun
12-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Sort of XI-related, mostly VIII-related, but I didn't think it warranted it's own thread. If anyone's interested:

In the months leading up to XI, Glenn will be posting one video per month on the ProgPower USA YouTube channel from the All-Star Jam from VIII. It will be the single, center camera view only with unedited audio recorded directly from the soundboard.

For awhile it looked like this footage was never going to see the light of day. Having been there, and knowing first hand how awesome the set was, I'm overjoyed at the chance to see some of the footage over again.

The setlist is here (http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=7550).

I'm curious to see which songs make the cut. I really want to see Welcome Home, Who Wants to Live Forever, and The Final Countdown.

Maiden33
12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
My fingers are crossed for Children of the Sea, Out in the Fields, Desperado, Take Hold of the Flame, and You Don't Remember (I'll Never Forget).

JuuKun
12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
First video up:

Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle, ex-Savatage) performing Black Sabbath's "Children of the Sea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vexsdijv5h4

Ah, the memories.

JuuKun
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Mid-Week Mayhem Lineup Announced:

Ross the Boss
Vangough
Seven Kingdoms

Maiden33
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I actually lol'd when I saw this. To say the least, I won't be there on Wednesday, which is good I suppose. My lack of interest here allows me to save more money overall, increasing my odds of coming. Fingers crossed Thursday is a great lineup, I think they've really dropped the ball overall this year, despite a couple of great bands.

MPF
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Mid-Week Mayhem Lineup Announced:

Ross the Boss

Ross The Boss is actually very badass live. I was handed free tickets to see him for wearing an Iced Earth shirt to a Dream Theater show back last year. :cool:

They play the classic Manowar songs with new songs off their debut album. I was impressed as hell by them.

I suppose if your not into the Manowar/1980's Power Metal scene you won't be into them, but they are DEFINITELY worth checking out!

JuuKun
01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Second All-Star Jam video up.

Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind, Eidolon) performing King Diamond's "Welcome Home"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLCfqJTHXOc

GRANDMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, WELCOME HOOOOMEEEEE

:rocker:

Maiden33
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
3/4 of Thursday Announced. The "meh"-fest is pretty much continuing.

The headliner is still TBA and it's clearly gonna have to be someone capable of "bringing the bacon" in order to justify this being in the main room - given that none of these bands really have followings.

Leprous (Norway)
Borealis (Canada)
Six Minute Century (USA)

I've actually really been digging Borealis lately, really cool bunch of young guys making great music that I'd describe as "Evergrey with some power metal mixed in", has potential to be amazing. Six Minute Century is a band I've heard OF but never heard, but seems like something I could get into. Leprous on the other hand... :eyes:

Unless the headliner is someone I really care for (fingers still crossed for Redemption), I'll probably be skipping this too, which is unfortunate because as I said, been liking Borealis lately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

JuuKun
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
I personally like Leprous, but have never listened to Borealis or Six Minute Century.

Leprous playing this opens up Ihsahn as a potential headliner, since they're the backing band he's used for the few live shows he's done. I would go nuts. But, I'm in no way getting my hopes up over that idea.

larvtard
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
haha I live in Atlanta but I've never been to this. (Truth be told, prog metal and power metal are my least favorite metal genres). Should I make a trip anyways, though?

JuuKun
01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
haha I live in Atlanta but I've never been to this. (Truth be told, prog metal and power metal are my least favorite metal genres). Should I make a trip anyways, though?

It really depends on if you like the bands. I've only been to one year, 2007, but it was the most fun weekend of my life. A good percentage of the crowd are there every year, so a lot of people know each other, so it gives it more of a really big party atmosphere than a concert. Moshing and crowd surfing are not allowed, which IMO is a brilliant idea (Well, one, it's not really the type of music you'd mosh to, but two I'd much rather be able to enjoy watching the band instead of having to worry about getting kicked in the head by a crowd surfer)

If you like some of the bands playing, DEFINITELY go. Sometimes I wish I lived in Atlanta, only so I'd never have to miss a year of this.

Maiden33
01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I personally like Leprous, but have never listened to Borealis or Six Minute Century.

Leprous playing this opens up Ihsahn as a potential headliner, since they're the backing band he's used for the few live shows he's done. I would go nuts. But, I'm in no way getting my hopes up over that idea.

I have a feeling Redemption is gonna be the headliner. Either them or Vanden Plas.

Reason being: When this was announced, a bunch of people reacted like "how is this going to be in the main room?", like this show is lacking a big name on it, that people really, really want to see. And Glenn reassured them not to worry. So the headliner is gonna be someone notable.
Redemption just makes an obvious choice because like 80% or more of everyone involved in the ProgPower loves them and the last album got rave reviews. Due to Nick's health and other issues, they can't really tour much, so a very big one-off show makes a lot of sense, especially since usually the Thursday night show is to give a band a chance to headline who they feel deserves it and otherwise can't - so I think Redemption makes a lot of sense. That's my personal guess. But I think they've dropped the ball so much with these two nights now that I'm not holding my breath for anything I really like or want to see.

JuuKun
01-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a feeling Redemption is gonna be the headliner. Either them or Vanden Plas.

Reason being: When this was announced, a bunch of people reacted like "how is this going to be in the main room?", like this show is lacking a big name on it, that people really, really want to see. And Glenn reassured them not to worry. So the headliner is gonna be someone notable.
Redemption just makes an obvious choice because like 80% or more of everyone involved in the ProgPower loves them and the last album got rave reviews. Due to Nick's health and other issues, they can't really tour much, so a very big one-off show makes a lot of sense, especially since usually the Thursday night show is to give a band a chance to headline who they feel deserves it and otherwise can't - so I think Redemption makes a lot of sense. That's my personal guess. But I think they've dropped the ball so much with these two nights now that I'm not holding my breath for anything I really like or want to see.

Redemption would make a lot of sense. Vanden Plas, not so much. I could see Vanden Plas being booked if there was another headlining-caliber band on the bill, but as there isn't...I mean, would there be a lot of interest? Absolutely. But, the last two times they've been booked they've had to cancel due to visa issues, I don't think they're someone they'd want to bank on as the main draw. Too risky.

Maiden33
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I feel like I've just been handed a gift and then smacked in the head for it.

A friend of mine who is an every-year attendee snagged a pair of tickets right away, and recently a bunch of Gold Badges became available, so he decided to try to get them and get rid of his normal tickets - and I was first in line to get them, and a somewhat discounted price. He's being very cool about me paying him, and it seems to have finally sealed the deal on me going to this.

However, I later found out that the reason there's such a run on these Gold Badges is because Seventh Wonder (half the reason I'm going) is gonna be doing a special encore show in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon (with different songs), with a special meet and greet afterwards - but it is only open to Gold Badge holders. I am pretty upset because I would trade my ticket for Saturday simply for this special set without a second thought.

Maiden33
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Set times / Schedule announced:

Friday:

Gold Badge Doors: 1:30pm
Regular Doors: 2:00pm

Illusion Suite: 2:45-3:30
Stormwarrior: 4:00-4:45
Leaves' Eyes: 5:15-6:00
Seventh Wonder: 6:30-7:30
Tyr: 8:00-9:00
Nocturnal Rites: 9:30- 10:45
Kamelot: 11:30- close

Saturday:

Gold Badge Doors: 2:00pm
Regular Doors: 3:00pm

Paradox: 4:00-4:45
Oceans of Sadness: 5:15-6:00
DGM: 6:30-7:30
Delain: 8:00-9:00
Tarot: 9:30-10:45
Hammerfall: 11:30- close

Signing schedule TBA later.

Pretty much what I expected. Happy to see DGM's playing an hour though, only expected a 45 minute set. Shit though, Doors at 2? These are gonna be two looong days.

Akumu
03-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I like that every band has a pretty decent set length. So happy I'm going to this. :party:

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I like that every band has a pretty decent set length. So happy I'm going to this. :party:

I will see you there, then! Who are the bands you're mostly going for?

JuuKun
03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, that's one of the best things about seeing bands at ProgPower: even the openers get 45 minutes, no one gets shafted with a super short set.

I still have to figure out if I'm going to be able to pull this off. I want to see Tarot more than just about any other band besides Morgana Lefay, but I'm not so sure about getting the money together for everything involved. I could pull off the tickets, and could probably pull off taking the train (Did a bus for VIII, as I have no problem spending more time in transit and saving near $200 instead of flying). Oh, hey, look at that, more manageable than I thought...the roommate hunt begins!

Maiden33
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Accept confirmed as Thursday's headliner, thus assuring that I won't be there, which is unfortunate, I wanted to see Borealis.

Oh well, more money to spend on merchandise and stuff for the two days I'll be there.

JuuKun
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM
OH WOW, Accept! Didn't see that coming at all. I'd really like to have seen them with Udo, but I can't say I'm jumping for joy at their announcement considering he is no longer with them. Maybe I'll make my way down for the Showcase if I do go, who knows.

Akumu
03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I will see you there, then! Who are the bands you're mostly going for?

Right now I'm most looking forward to Seventh Wonder, Tarot, Oceans of Sadness, and Kamelot, though I'm still checking out the lineup - I have a feeling I'd particularly like DGM.

JuuKun
05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Turisas added to Friday. Stormwarrior moved to Saturday, so 7 bands each day.