PDA

View Full Version : What common trait(s) does all the music that has positively affected your life have?

ADD
09-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't know. We all love music of completely different styles, but why do I hold Dr. Dre on the same level as say Harvey Milk? Maybe one of you intelligent, eloquent types care to elaborate on this topic. Saying it makes you "feel" a certain way is a cop out and will not do.

mankvill
09-08-2009, 01:01 AM
uh. I used to be an emo shitfag who wallowed in self-pity but in 9th/10th grade I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself because of Rage Against The Machine and studied up on political things. And yeah, they're like one of the first big music things to really change my life.

Pretty much the same thing happened later in 10th grade when I heard my first metal song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujRJ7O9hwo) The sonic aural assault dulled my senses and it began the transformation. :party:

edit: fixed link

mankvill
09-08-2009, 01:05 AM
wait um i don't think i understand wtf this thread is asking.

TonyD
09-08-2009, 01:27 AM
First of all thanks for starting a thread worth posting in.

I like music that I can force onto others, and call them gay if they don't follow.

ravenheart
09-08-2009, 03:15 AM
It doesn't. All of my favourite music is unqiue. Maybe that's what it all has in common...

Dextrimental
09-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Well, I find all my favorite bands kinda have this driving force to them, like lyrically or musically theyre about kinda standin up for yourself and being your own person and not taking bullshit from bullies and stuff, and they all make a statement wit either the lyrics or music.. As well as that, I love music thats unique, and the creators aren't single-minded, or they just dont give a shit what people think.. Its interesting, I've often had this discussion with my psychology teacher..

Fe Maiden
09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
It either gives me an eargasm or a tingle up the spine or is just technically amazing. If it sticks in my head, the music not the lyrics, then it must be good!

Sinfulsot
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM
But on many levels, how the music makes you feel is a big part of what decides what one chooses to listen to.

One thing I think is necessary is to define what music is. Granted, it is a series of tones structured together, but it's obviously more that that. and you musicians might have a better way to put it.

For me, music is the sound of emotion. And from there, we get how music makes us feel. From classical orchestra to the bubble gum pop they play on the radio, music is designed to elicit an emotional response.

Maiden33
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
It's really hard to say. I don't think there is one giant underlying theme in all the music I really enjoy, but if I had to pick one element that I tend to go for most, it's hooks. I love catchy stuff. If a band can combine great musicianship and metal-ish qualities with strong songwriting and catchy hooks, I'm likely to fall in love. From the prog to the power to the old school metal I listen to, the memorable hooks play a huge part. A song generally needs to either make me go: "Fuck yeah" and put my fist in the air, sing-along with the catchiness, or be amazed by the emotion, power, or beauty. If a band can't make me do any of that, I'm most likely not going to spend my time listening to it.
That's still a very loose answer, but it'll have to do for now.

Oh, and in before Indestructable says amazing lyrics are why he loves the music he loves. :allan:

Fe Maiden
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
But on many levels, how the music makes you feel is a big part of what decides what one chooses to listen to.

From classical orchestra to the bubble gum pop they play on the radio, music is designed to elicit an emotional response.I just have to agree! It also may elicit certain images in our minds

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
As simple as it sounds, no matter what kind of music it is, be it metal or 70's AM gold or Flamenco Guitar, it just has to connect with me.

I love metal, but there's a ton of it that doesn't connect with me. Way more of it doesn't connect with me than does. I love the aggression of metal, but aggression alone isn't enough.

I love Flamenco guitar music, but not just by anyone. There are certain performers that just "do it" for me.

there are no set rules for songs or artists that I like.

ravenheart
09-08-2009, 10:19 AM

One thing I think is necessary is to define what music is. Granted, it is a series of tones structured together, but it's obviously more that that. and you musicians might have a better way to put it.

For me, music is the sound of emotion. And from there, we get how music makes us feel. From classical orchestra to the bubble gum pop they play on the radio, music is designed to elicit an emotional response.

A lofty premise, but some music is just good stuff. I mean, what emotional response can you possibly have to a lot death metal other than murderous intent? People just like it, they're not about to go out and beat someone with a spade.

Or take AC/DC. Their songs are about absolutely nothing. Meaningless drivel. Their music isn't even complex or interesting. They're just good rock songs. I don't feel any emotional attachment to a single one of their songs. I just like listening to them.

The only common emotion you can possibly have for all the music you enjoy is simply that. Enjoyment. And I don't think that really counts.

Fe Maiden
09-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Enjoyment. And I don't think that really counts.I would say it does count If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

SomewhereInTime72
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
A lofty premise, but some music is just good stuff. I mean, what emotional response can you possibly have to a lot death metal other than murderous intent? People just like it, they're not about to go out and beat someone with a spade.

Or take AC/DC. Their songs are about absolutely nothing. Meaningless drivel. Their music isn't even complex or interesting. They're just good rock songs. I don't feel any emotional attachment to a single one of their songs. I just like listening to them.

The only common emotion you can possibly have for all the music you enjoy is simply that. Enjoyment. And I don't think that really counts.

If you enjoy something, it makes you happy. That's certainly emotion.

Natrlhi
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
This was an awesome attempt at a very deep topic, but in the end, I think it's just too broad of a question - or maybe the answer is so intangible that no one can really put it into words enough to satisfy the need I think we all have on some level for a "concrete" answer.

I mean, as specific as some of my metal interests of late seem to be (I'm very heavy into instrumental post-metal, for instance...also sludge / doom is very big for me right now), I really have some of the broadest musical tastes of almost anybody I know. Not that I'm trying to sound all enlightened or something pretentious like that, I'm just saying I like a whole lot of music, and I find it very hard to find a common thread to it all.

For example, I went through a rap phase in college, but only very specific groups would do it for me (Public Enemy, N.W.A., Geto Boys, Digital Underground, Ice Cube, Ice-T, etc.). I like a lot of what some people might call "pop" (White Stripes, LCD Soundsystem, Ghostland Observatory, Killers, etc.). I was definitely a fan of grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.). I love electronic music as well, but again, only specific artists will do (Crystal Method, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Paul Oakenfold, Daft Punk, Orbital, etc.). I also have a history steeped in Alternative / Progressive (Depeche Mode, Cure, Pixies, etc.) and Industrial (Ministry, Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb). Hell - I'll even put on some Enya if I'm in the mood (sometimes a brotha needs to just chill :D).

What connects all these? Damned if I know. If you can figure it out, post away and I will likely be amazed. The point is, I seem to have very specific "likes" and "dislikes", yet almost anything will work for me if it makes me feel something on an emotional level - which I think you said was against the rules as far as a response, so I guess I'm stuck. :eyes:

I just know that the music I "love", I would go to the ends of the Earth to defend. Just ask DethMaiden about Giant Squid. :D

That's enough from me,
Nat :horns:

ADD
09-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I like music that I can force onto others, and call them gay if they don't follow.

Nice. I also like that innate smug sense of superiority you feel cuz your in the .01% of western civilization who even knows that "_____" has a new album out and it roolz teh n00b :flame:

:D

What about authenticity? Is there even such a thing with regards to music? What makes something have more, shall we say, "musical integrity" than something else?

powerslave_85
09-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know what you mean by "musical integrity." Do you mean like on the business side of things, in terms of how they promote themselves and their philosophy? Stuff like that won't make me like a band I otherwise wouldn't like, but it does increase my favorable opinion of a band I already like. Take Fugazi, for example. One of the most influential punk rock bands of all time, and yet they never charged more than $5 for a show, never sold any merch, and produced their own records on their own label their entire career.

ADD
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't know what you mean by "musical integrity." Do you mean like on the business side of things, in terms of how they promote themselves and their philosophy? Stuff like that won't make me like a band I otherwise wouldn't like, but it does increase my favorable opinion of a band I already like. Take Fugazi, for example. One of the most influential punk rock bands of all time, and yet they never charged more than $5 for a show, never sold any merch, and produced their own records on their own label their entire career.

Thats tight, kinda what I'm getting at I think. I don't even know. I'm just trying to have a discussion on music that isn't "Whose better?" or something.

JRA
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Which is exactly what kills any type of culture. Smug alpha male faggot behavior. I mean it's one thing to chastise someone for ignorance, but if you're going to attack someone just because they don't like it, you might as well be the poster child for everything that is wrong with underground.

DethMaiden
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
You'd think I'd have some big profound answer to this but I don't. Honestly it's just if it sounds good to my ears, I'll listen to it. All the things like packaging, artwork, public persona, lyrics, and strength of live performance are nice bonuses but at the end of the day 99% of the music-listening I do is private, not on stage, and I just want to hear things that sound good to me.

Fe Maiden
09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
What about authenticity? Is there even such a thing with regards to music? What makes something have more, shall we say, "musical integrity" than something else?I would think if something stands the test of time and still sounds great and enjoyable despite many repeated listens and spans across many generations in doing so, it then has integrity and is not just some trendy crap.

powerslave_85
09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
In response to the original question, I have no idea. I think a lot of it has to do with timing; the bands who've had the biggest impact on me happened into my life at right moment for me to fully appreciate and enjoy them.

JRA
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
What about authenticity? Is there even such a thing with regards to music? What makes something have more, shall we say, "musical integrity" than something else?

Street credibility.

UnleashTheWolves
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Pretty much the same thing happened later in 10th grade when I heard my first metal song.

edit: fixed link

It took you until your sophmore year of highschool to hear your first metal song.Most hear their first around ten or younger.:horns:

Wizzbang11
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
It took you until your sophmore year of highschool to hear your first metal song.Most hear their first around ten or younger.:horns:

And most know Sabbat, Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal.

UnleashTheWolves
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
And most know Sabbat, Morbid Angel and Hate Eternal.

Ive heard of all of them before. just dont know anysongs.

Sinfulsot
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
In response to the original question, I have no idea. I think a lot of it has to do with timing; the bands who've had the biggest impact on me happened into my life at right moment for me to fully appreciate and enjoy them.

This might better answer the question than how it feels or how much integrity the artist(s) pursue or claim to have.

zgodt
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
"all the music that has positively affected your life" is certainly too broad. I mean, Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" has positively affected my life. Because I got to have a blast doing a mocking cover of it. In a band that billed itself as "experimental speed metal" but ended up more like Melvins-y grunge. That was fun.

Maybe better to look for common characteristics among the music that's been most important to you, independent of genre. I would think:

--making some attempt to push beyond the boundaries of what has come before, rather than simply to recreate it.
--(hand-in-hand with the above) being able to surprise me.
--lyrics that are, at the very least, not insipid tripe.
--some roughness or edge -- no excess of polish, no gleaming pristine surface.

Still, the answers are as vague as the question. Well, what do you expect when you're asking for the common threads between Prokofiev and Gillian Welch and Husker Du and Charles Mingus and the third Armored Saint album?

ADD
09-10-2009, 02:58 AM
"all the music that has positively affected your life" is certainly too broad. I mean, Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" has positively affected my life. Because I got to have a blast doing a mocking cover of it. In a band that billed itself as "experimental speed metal" but ended up more like Melvins-y grunge. That was fun.

Maybe better to look for common characteristics among the music that's been most important to you, independent of genre. I would think:

--making some attempt to push beyond the boundaries of what has come before, rather than simply to recreate it.
--(hand-in-hand with the above) being able to surprise me.
--lyrics that are, at the very least, not insipid tripe.
--some roughness or edge -- no excess of polish, no gleaming pristine surface.

Still, the answers are as vague as the question. Well, what do you expect when you're asking for the common threads between Prokofiev and Gillian Welch and Husker Du and Charles Mingus and the third Armored Saint album?
I feel ya. I know it was not well thought out question but I just wanted to inspire perhaps some interesting posts, such as yours critiquing the premise of this thread. It's all bueno. Husker Du are awesome, got into them only this year.

ravenheart
09-10-2009, 04:22 AM
If you enjoy something, it makes you happy. That's certainly emotion.

OK, so that's true of every song you like, so the question is pointless.

Fe Maiden
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
OK, so that's true of every song you like, so the question is pointless.And, since what one enjoys may not be enjoyed by another, the question may be virtually impossible to answer adequately.

zgodt
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I feel ya. I know it was not well thought out question but I just wanted to inspire perhaps some interesting posts, such as yours critiquing the premise of this thread. It's all bueno. Husker Du are awesome, got into them only this year.

Husker Du are awesome indeed. I take it you've heard Zen Arcade?

ADD
09-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Husker Du are awesome indeed. I take it you've heard Zen Arcade?
Yea I have that one an New Day Rising.

TonyD
09-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Which is exactly what kills any type of culture. Smug alpha male faggot behavior. I mean it's one thing to chastise someone for ignorance, but if you're going to attack someone just because they don't like it, you might as well be the poster child for everything that is wrong with underground.

I hope you know that was 100% joke.