PDA

View Full Version : Whilst cleaning out the garage........

Fe Maiden
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I ran across a box of old cassettes:eek: Yes, I said cassettes. One in particular that I sort of forgot I had was Savatage - Gutter Ballet. I put it on and holy shit......Of Rage and War is damn good! I'm not familiar with other Savatage albums so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations???????

Has this sort of situation ever happened to anyone else? Have you found some music you sort of forgot you ever had?????

JuuKun
09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
As far as Savatage go - you'll probably get plenty of different recommendations, but my personal favorite is Hall of the Mountain King.

I found a few Disney CDs a few months back (three compilations and the soundtrack for the Lion King) that I had totally forgotten about, but that's about it - I generally keep everything in alphabetical order, and go through them every few weeks to make sure they're still in the right order, so I don't give myself much of a chance to forget.

DethMaiden
09-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I'm with JuuKun on this one. The meticulous way I keep my music collection (which is not with me at college except in digital form :snivel: ) would prevent me from "happening upon" anything.

Fe Maiden
09-04-2009, 02:09 PM
My Cd's are kept in a very neat order. You did notice I said cassettes?

JuuKun
09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
My Cd's are kept in a very neat order. You did notice I said cassettes?

Indeed I did. However, both my CDs and vinyl are kept like this. I don't actually think I have any cassettes, though I feel like I should since my stereo can play all three and it feels like a waste of a capability not to have any.

DethMaiden
09-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I did used to have some cassettes in my car before I got an iPod adapter which were just for when I drove. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Operation: Mindcrime, So Far, So Good, So What! and Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood are the ones that I can think of. Don't actually know what happened to them. Probably got thrown away.

rjturtle9
09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
One in particular that I sort of forgot I had was Savatage - Gutter Ballet. I put it on and holy shit......Of Rage and War is damn good! I'm not familiar with other Savatage albums so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations???????

Maiden33 where are you!?!?

DethMaiden
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Haha, basically, but I'll try: if "Of Rage and War" was the song on that album that grabbed you, get Hall of the Mountain King. It's basically just a bunch of even better heavy songs like that. If "Gutter Ballet" and "When the Crowds Are Gone" grabbed you as they should have, get Streets.

Maiden33
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM

I am right here! Alright, Savatage have now long-been my second favorite band of all-time, so am more than happy to help out with some recommendations:

Basically, if you're really loving Gutter Ballet, you clearly don't have a problem with Jon Oliva's voice, which can be the first obstacle for a would be Savatage fan. As DethMaiden mentioned, where to go next really has to do with what about Gutter Ballet you're really enjoying the most. If it's the tracks such as "Of Rage and War", "The Unholy", and the like that you're enjoying the most, go for Hall of the Mountain King. It's pretty much an album packed with classic US "power" metal tunes like that. Overall I don't favor it too highly amongst their catallogue, but for what it is, it's pretty great.
Now, if you have really been taken by the material such as "Gutter Ballet", "When the Crowds are Gone", and "Summer's Rain", Streets is your absolute-must. I would consider saying this regardless, as it's not only my favorite 'Tage record but a top 10 of all-time for sure. It's very rock-opera-esque at times, lots of piano, lots of "Half-ballads", and tons of emotional stuff. It's a fantastic listen, and the only album to ever make me cry (See: Believe).
Now, this all being said, don't overlook the Zak Stevens-era (1993-1999). Edge of Thorns and Handful of Rain complete my 4-album set of essential Savatage, along with the aforementioned Streets and Gutter Ballet. Zak has a VERY different voice from Jon, much deeper and more melodic, and the material definitely continued to pursue a more progressive direction. Definitely worth checking out, but for the time-being I'd stick with the two other Jon albums that have been mentioned.

ADD
09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Hall of the Mountain King is the jam, their 90's shit is too weepy and sackless. The ballad-y songs on Gutter Ballet are awesome though, they did it right that time. Also check out Sirens for some competent 80's heavy/power metal.

ChildrenofSodom
09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I did used to have some cassettes in my car before I got an iPod adapter which were just for when I drove. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Operation: Mindcrime, So Far, So Good, So What! and Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood are the ones that I can think of. Don't actually know what happened to them. Probably got thrown away.

Oh, hey, where'd you get those tapes?

DethMaiden
09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Oh, hey, where'd you get those tapes?

Well, I bought Mindcrime and Texas Flood, but yeah the others were yours. Along with like fifty shitty hair metal tapes, haha.

ravenheart
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm not familiar with other Savatage albums so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations???????

All of them. Seriously.

ravenheart
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
It's a fantastic listen, and the only album to ever make me cry (See: Believe).

For me this particularly distinction is held by Close To You by Judas Priest.

zgodt
09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I actually had the exact same experience a couple of years ago -- cleaning up, found a box of cassettes, saw Gutter Ballet and popped it in. I had remembered lots of people around here having gone nuts over that album, so was hoping to be enthralled. I wasn't. I thought it was pretty boring, "Of Rage and War" included. Hall of the Mountain King is nothing special, but it's fun at least.

Fe Maiden
09-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I actually had the exact same experience a couple of years ago -- cleaning up, found a box of cassettes, saw Gutter Ballet and popped it in.:eyes:

Seems most of you recommend Hall of the Mountain King or Streets. I'll look into these.

Maiden33
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
:eyes:

Seems most of you recommend Hall of the Mountain King or Streets. I'll look into these.

Get both. If you look around enough you're likely to find a place selling both online for $9 apiece new. They're two very different albums but if you really like Gutter Ballet, you're likely to enjoy both.

Natrlhi
09-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I haven't had this experience lately, but I can do so anytime I want to by going downstairs into my basement and taking a look at the old box of cassettes I have down there. I haven't looked in there for years - I'm sure it would be a real blast from the past (although I think I have digitally replaced all of what was in there over the past couple of years, but I'll bet there are some sleepers).

You've inspired me to look - I'll post again later when I do. :D

Let me see if I can remember some of what should be there before I look:

The Accused - Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Carnivore - Carnivore
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales / Into the Pandemonium
Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness / Money Talks
Death - Leprosy / Human
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Metallica - Kill 'Em All / Garage Days Re-Revisited
Motorhead - Orgasmatron / Rock 'n' Roll
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Slayer - South of Heaven
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Voivod - War and Pain

I also used to have stuff on cassette from Dio, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Saxon, W.A.S.P., AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Cinderella (yeah, I admit it :eyes:), Accept, D.R.I., Anthrax, Kreator, Sodom, Sabbat, and of course Judas Priest, but I think all or most of that stuff is gone now.

I wonder if I have any of my old Public Enemy cassettes...

UnleashTheWolves
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
First get Gutter Ballet on cd. And how did you forget that you had that album its just so good.Gutter Ballet and When the Crowds Are Gone are songs you dont forget you have heard. Good thing you were cleaning your garage.:horns:

UnleashTheWolves
09-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Get Edge of Thorns. The song edge of thorns souds like he was influenced by Geoff Tate from Queensryche.Go to FYE they are having a sale all or most of the cds are 9.99 or lower.:horns:

IrritatedTrout
09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I haven't had this experience lately, but I can do so anytime I want to by going downstairs into my basement and taking a look at the old box of cassettes I have down there. I haven't looked in there for years - I'm sure it would be a real blast from the past (although I think I have digitally replaced all of what was in there over the past couple of years, but I'll bet there are some sleepers).

You've inspired me to look - I'll post again later when I do. :D

Let me see if I can remember some of what should be there before I look:

The Accused - Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Carnivore - Carnivore
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales / Into the Pandemonium
Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness / Money Talks
Death - Leprosy / Human
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Metallica - Kill 'Em All / Garage Days Re-Revisited
Motorhead - Orgasmatron / Rock 'n' Roll
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Slayer - South of Heaven
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Voivod - War and Pain

I also used to have stuff on cassette from Dio, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Saxon, W.A.S.P., AC/DC, Alice Cooper, Cinderella (yeah, I admit it :eyes:), Accept, D.R.I., Anthrax, Kreator, Sodom, Sabbat, and of course Judas Priest, but I think all or most of that stuff is gone now.

I wonder if I have any of my old Public Enemy cassettes...

Sounds like quite a treasure trove.

Natrlhi
09-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Sounds like quite a treasure trove.
Yeah, and I easily left out half of what is probably in there.

The problem is, I couldn't find it. I have to talk to my wife and see where the hell that box went...I'm kinda befuddled about it right now.

(easy - breathe, son...breathe - we'll find your metal cassettes...) :eyes:

Natrlhi
09-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, and I easily left out half of what is probably in there.

The problem is, I couldn't find it. I have to talk to my wife and see where the hell that box went...I'm kinda befuddled about it right now.

(easy - breathe, son...breathe - we'll find your metal cassettes...) :eyes:

OK, I found it. Let's see what we have here...

The Accused - Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told - I knew I had this...awesome! I also have "Grinning Like an Undertaker" - Nice!
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos - wrong on this one...musta been on CD
Carnivore - Carnivore - Yes!
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales / Into the Pandemonium - Yes! and WTF? I must have lost Pandemonium...
Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness / Money Talks - Yes! and Yes!
Death - Leprosy / Human - Yes! and Yes!
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence - musta been my brother who had this, then...damn
Destruction - Eternal Devastation - Yes! I also have the "Mad Butcher" EP, and "Live Without Sense" :rocker:
Metallica - Kill 'Em All / Garage Days Re-Revisited - Yes! and Yes!
Motorhead - Orgasmatron / Rock 'n' Roll - Yes! and Yes!
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse - Of fucking course I still have this one!
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis - Yup! "Re-Animator...Re-Animate me!" :rocker:
Slayer - South of Heaven - Duh. Hell yes. I also have "Hell Awaits" - fuck yes!
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare - Yes! Now if only I had a way to play this! I want to listen to "Serial Killer" right f-in now!!!
Voivod - War and Pain - Yup. Old school, baby. I also have "Angel Rat" - nice!

Plus, I had a bunch of other stuff I forgot:

Heart - Heart (Heads up, Mankvill!) ;)
Van Halen - 1984
Saxon - Rock the Nations
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Sam Kinison - Louder Than Hell
Eddie Murphy - Comedian
George Carlin - Class Clown
The Pop Will Eat Itself - Cure for Insanity
Jesus Jones - Liquidizer - somebody gave me that, I swear :eyes:
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton - best rap album ever...bar none
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Ice-T - Power
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show!
Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91...The Enemy Strikes Black
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet - 2nd best rap album ever
Skinny Puppy - viviSECTvi
Anthrax - I'm the Man
Nocturnus - The Key
Nasty Savage - Indulgence / Penetration Point / Nasty Savage - I had a woody for these guys back in the day :D
The Exploited - Horror Epics :rocker:
Godflesh - Pure
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Prong - Prove You Wrong
Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army / How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today?

What a walk down memory lane...thanks to Fe Maiden for starting this thread. Now does anybody have a fucking cassette player?!?

Nat :horns:

TonyD
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM

:light:

Natrlhi
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
:light:

:lol: I know we have been on a scary same-wavelength thing lately, but really?!? Sweet!

Wizzbang11
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM

:

Holy Shit!!!

JRA
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Very, very fucking wrong. Albums which are better:

http://blogs.loud.com/news/files/2009/01/low_end_theory_cover.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cLI19EXK2oU/SgWGRT43ezI/AAAAAAAAAEg/rWzn0mOkG00/s400/36chambers.jpg

http://philspector.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/pauls-boutique.jpg

Natrlhi
09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Very, very fucking wrong. Albums which are better:

http://blogs.loud.com/news/files/2009/01/low_end_theory_cover.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cLI19EXK2oU/SgWGRT43ezI/AAAAAAAAAEg/rWzn0mOkG00/s400/36chambers.jpg

http://philspector.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/pauls-boutique.jpg

Those are all good, too. Sho' nuff. (Especially "Paul's Boutique") But seriously, bro. Straight Outta Compton. ;)

Maiden33
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT SAVATAGE AGAIN!!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2088/2476309471_4236026d6e.jpg

Fe Maiden
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM

The Accused - Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told - I knew I had this...awesome! I also have "Grinning Like an Undertaker" - Nice!
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales / Into the Pandemonium - Yes! and WTF? I must have lost Pandemonium...
Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness / Money Talks - Yes! and Yes!
Death - Leprosy / Human - Yes! and Yes!
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence - musta been my brother who had this, then...damn
Destruction - Eternal Devastation - Yes! I also have the "Mad Butcher" EP, and "Live Without Sense" :rocker:
Slayer - South of Heaven - Duh. Hell yes. I also have "Hell Awaits" - fuck yes!
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare - Yes! Now if only I had a way to play this! I want to listen to "Serial Killer" right f-in now!!!

Plus, I had a bunch of other stuff I forgot:

Heart - Heart (Heads up, Mankvill!) ;)
Van Halen - 1984
Saxon - Rock the Nations
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Sam Kinison - Louder Than Hell
Eddie Murphy - Comedian
George Carlin - Class Clown
The Pop Will Eat Itself - Cure for Insanity
Jesus Jones - Liquidizer - somebody gave me that, I swear :eyes:
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Ice-T - Power
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show!
Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91...The Enemy Strikes Black
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet - 2nd best rap album ever
Skinny Puppy - viviSECTvi
Anthrax - I'm the Man
Nocturnus - The Key
Nasty Savage - Indulgence / Penetration Point / Nasty Savage - I had a woody for these guys back in the day :D
Godflesh - Pure
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Prong - Prove You Wrong
Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army / How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today?

What a walk down memory lane...thanks to Fe Maiden for starting this thread. Now does anybody have a fucking cassette player?!?

Nat :horns:Wow! You certainly found a lot of "stuff."

I have a cassette player in my car:tongue:

Natrlhi
09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Wow! You certainly found a lot of "stuff."

I have a cassette player in my car:tongue:

Me too, but it's broken. Figures. :bouville:

I have a cassette deck attached to the stereo in my living room entertainment center. I suppose I could torture my wife and three-year-old son with a walk down memory lane this weekend. :D

To be honest, my son - bless his heart - actually gets a kick out of some of the music I listen to. He saw me and a couple of my friends jamming out to a Meshuggah video last year, and now whenever he hears anything heavy on the car stereo or whatnot he asks, "Dad - is this Meshuggah?"

He also saw me at my computer one night editing some of the video from the Giant Squid show I went to last month, and so whenever he sees me watching metal videos on the computer he asks, "Is that Giant Squid you went to?"

Am I raising this kid right, or what? :D:rocker::D

Nat :horns:

Fe Maiden
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Me too, but it's broken. Figures. :bouville:

I have a cassette deck attached to the stereo in my living room entertainment center. I suppose I could torture my wife and three-year-old son with a walk down memory lane this weekend. :D

To be honest, my son - bless his heart - actually gets a kick out of some of the music I listen to. He saw me and a couple of my friends jamming out to a Meshuggah video last year, and now whenever he hears anything heavy on the car stereo or whatnot he asks, "Dad - is this Meshuggah?"

He also saw me at my computer one night editing some of the video from the Giant Squid show I went to last month, and so whenever he sees me watching metal videos on the computer he asks, "Is that Giant Squid you went to?"

Am I raising this kid right, or what? :D:rocker::D

Nat :horns:You must "Maidenize" your son as I have mine. I took him to one of the SBIT shows I attended. He soon wanted a Maiden shirt and just loves The Trooper!

Natrlhi
09-11-2009, 12:28 PM
You must "Maidenize" your son as I have mine. I took him to one of the SBIT shows I attended. He soon wanted a Maiden shirt and just loves The Trooper!

:lol:

Well, I might. Or I could "Isisize" him (sorry, I just wanted to type that cuz it sounded funny. :D I do loves me some Isis, tho. ;)).

Div
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I always wondered how metal parents are with their kids.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9804/1244582224833.jpg

Natrlhi
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
:lol: Priceless.

That kid is the smart one of the two. She's looking at that guy as if to say, "dude, you know you're a freak, right?"

Nice. :D