Chemical Warfare
Ghost Of War
Angel Of Death

mankvill
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
:drool:

IrritatedTrout
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Is this the show where the Slayer fans destroyed the venue?

Wizzbang11
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Behind The Crooked Cross

They covered Sabbat!??!?

TonyD
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Is this the show where the Slayer fans destroyed the venue?

That's what I was thinking

mankvill
08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
They covered Sabbat!??!?

:nonono:

Wizzbang11
08-31-2009, 09:13 PM
:nonono:

:)

Well, they should have. Sabbat is cooler than Slayer.

Slasherous
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
really cool Danzig set. Mother of Mercy live would of been awesome.

jhdeity
09-01-2009, 07:00 AM

:axe:

Seriously...

:barf:

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Who is sabbat

Sanitarium78
09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Who is sabbat

I was wondering that to. At first I thought he meant "Saabath" and for got to put the "H" at the end. Cool set from both bands would've loved to have seen that show but I was only ten at the time and was still a few years away from becoming a metalhead.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
They covered Sabbat!??!?

Behind the crooked cross isnt a cover. Dissident Aggressor and Undisputed Attitude are the only Slayer covers I know of

Natrlhi
09-01-2009, 09:31 AM

If by cool you mean sucky, then yes.

IrritatedTrout
09-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Sabbat is a UK thrash band with Andy Sneap on guitar.

Natrlhi
09-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Who is sabbat

They were a thrash band from England who was out at about the same time as Slayer was really popular, and although they did have a few interesting songs that I liked at the time, there is no way on Satan's good green fucking earth that they are better than Slayer. No way. Case fucking closed. Don't even think about it. :nonono:

jhdeity
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Behind the crooked cross isnt a cover. Dissident Aggressor and Undisputed Attitude are the only Slayer covers I know of

Don't forget Inna Gada Da Vida on the Less Than Zero soundtrack. Great soundtrack and even better movie.

They also covered Hand of Doom from Sabbath on NIB 2 and Born to be Wild from Steppenwolf on the Nascar: Crank it up cd which is my least favorite of the 3.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Don't forget Inna Gada Da Vida on the Less Than Zero soundtrack. Great soundtrack and even better movie.

They also covered Hand of Doom from Sabbath on NIB 2 and Born to be Wild from Steppenwolf on the Nascar: Crank it up cd which is my least favorite of the 3.

I know of those covers.

mankvill
09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Sabbat is a UK thrash band with Andy Sneap on guitar.

Isn't there a Japthrash band named Sabbat too?

Wizzbang11
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
How the hell do people not know who Sabbat is.

It's Martin Walkyier's band before Skyclad, a they put Slayer to shame (in my opinion.) I like their music more, the lyrics are WAY more poetic and meaningful, they aren't douchebags, and they are far more impressive musicians.

Here's the real Behind the Crooked Cross:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7yMaQwdIQ

Not the best Sabbat song, but it's better than the Slayer song.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM

I read they were together from 85-91 and didnt do anything for 15years that can decrease a bands popularity.

Wizzbang11
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I read they were together from 85-91 and didnt do anything for 15years that can decrease a bands popularity.

At least they knew when to call it quits after a shitty album, unlike Slayer who continued to released boring mainstream shit for 15 years.

And it's not like Sabbat are some super underground band, they seem to be common knowledge amongst most metalheads.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
At least they knew when to call it quits after a shitty album, unlike Slayer who continued to released boring mainstream shit for 15 years.

Do people hate new Slayer and new Metallica because alot of other people do and you have to be like them. Yes old Slayer is the best and they will never release another album Like Seasons or the albums before it but the new stuff is still good just not as good as the old stuff. Old Metallica is better than the new Metallica but the new stuff is still good. Its still better than all modern metal bands out there.

Sanitarium78
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Sorry man but everyone can't be into every band or know of them all. There's just way too many out there. Seriously i've never heard of them. I did look them up though and it looks like they were broken up for a long while so that might explain why some people might not know who they are. It's all good though besides discussing setlists people can find out about bands they weren't aware of before.

Wizzbang11
09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry man but everyone can't be into every band or know of them all. There's just way too many out there. Seriously i've never heard of them. I did look them up though and it looks like they were broken up for a long while so that might explain why some people might not know who they are. It's all good though besides discussing setlists people can find out about bands they weren't aware of before.

I'll agree to that, and I don't really care that much, it just seems like they are a rather well known band.
You should all go listen to them. Right now.
Go download or buy History of Time to Come.

And the post before that, I don't really understand it. Especially the first sentence.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 06:37 PM

And the post before that, I don't really understand it. Especially the first sentence.

I was just trying to say sometimes it seems like alot of people hate the new Slayer and the New Metallica I dont get why everyone has to hate it. I know you didnt say anything about Metallica but they are another band with people that dont like the new stuff.

Sanitarium78
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll agree to that, and I don't really care that much, it just seems like they are a rather well known band.
You should all go listen to them. Right now.
Go download or buy History of Time to Come.

Ok i'll see if i can find anything from them. I do know who Andy Sneap is. He's done some good production work. Especially with Nevermore's "This Godless Endeavor"

Wizzbang11
09-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I was just trying to say sometimes it seems like alot of people hate the new Slayer and the New Metallica I dont get why everyone has to hate it. I know you didnt say anything about Metallica but they are another band with people that dont like the new stuff.

New Slayer sucks, not because people don't like them but because they are no longer a thrash band, they have become egotistical assholes and I could easily confuse their new shit with new lame bands like Children of Bodom, Lamb of God or Slipknot (I realize they don't actually sound too much like those bands, but they are of the same caliber of modern shitty metal.)

Metallica hasn't made a good album since Master of Puppets, although Death Magnetic sucked less than the ones before it.

Sanitarium78
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Metallica hasn't made a good album since Master of Puppets

What? Did you forget about And Justice For All?

Wizzbang11
09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
What? Did you forget about And Justice For All?

It's not bad, but it's no Kill 'Em All.

UnleashTheWolves
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
New Slayer sucks, not because people don't like them but because they are no longer a thrash band, they have become egotistical assholes and I could easily confuse their new shit with new lame bands like Children of Bodom, Lamb of God or Slipknot (I realize they don't actually sound too much like those bands, but they are of the same caliber of modern shitty metal.)

Metallica hasn't made a good album since Master of Puppets, although Death Magnetic sucked less than the ones before it.
All the bands you said are lame I like and one of them I like better than Slayer.

All Metallica is good. Well not all Metallica most of load sucks and so does st anger. Belive it or not there are people that started to hate Metallica after lightning.

I like justice better than Kill Em All.

Sanitarium78
09-01-2009, 07:01 PM

Kill 'Em All is great but it's no RTL, MOP or Justice in my opinion. Those 3 albums are the one's that really show the signature sound that Metallica had at one time. The only song I don't care for on The Black Album is NEM. Most of Load blows and Reload has some OK tracks on it. St. Anger sucks beyond all things that suck. The new one is very good at least they're trying to get back to doing some good metal again.

Altmer7989
09-02-2009, 05:39 AM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? CI isn't my fave record either but it does sound like Slayer. And all those bands you mentioned are all clearly influenced by Slayer so... :confused:

jhdeity
09-02-2009, 05:49 AM
While I respect your passion and knowledge of 80's thrash you're still wrong about Slayer. Their new cd is fast as balls from what I've heard. It's total Reign in Blood-ish from the 3 songs I have and I love all 3 of them.

I'm all about the faster the better with Sadus and Dark Angel being my favorite bands for years and Kill em all still being my favorite Metallica album but Sabbat doesn't belong in the same league as any of those bands to me.

They're worth checking out but having a dude in the band named Gizz Butt who left the band to join Prodigy isn't going to be cool to most metalheads.

I dig Prodigy and think the video for Smack my bitch up is the best music video ever made but when I want to take out aggression, I turn to Slayer.

I'm listening to a bootleg from the Hell Awaits tour now and Crypts of Eternity, Hardening of the Arteries, Show No Mercy and Praise of Death are faster and better than anything Sabbat could even think of doing in my opinion.

b_halperin
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Lol.... That's a nice Slayer set, with the exception of the absence of Black Magic

and after reading 4 pages of this dispute, I feel I have to display my opinion now.

1. I have never heard a single song by Sabbat, but I've heard the name previously.
2. I enjoy new Slayer, but Blood Painted World(or whatever their new album is called), will never compare to Seasons, or their older, thrashier albums. (And I'm not saying that new Slayer isn't thrash, I'm saying that it's just not the same feeling).
3. Same with Metallica. Same with a bunch of other bands.
4. Da black album waz da besttttt IMO

Natrlhi
09-02-2009, 09:30 AM

They also covered Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

EDIT: I just noticed somebody had already mentioned this - never mind.

Natrlhi
09-02-2009, 09:47 AM
So to sum up:

For most: Old Slayer > old Metallica > new Slayer > new Metallica > all Sabbat

For some: Old Metallica > old Slayer > new Metallica > new Slayer > all Sabbat

For Wizzbang11: All Sabbat > all Slayer > all Metallica

OK. We get it. Move on.

...and speaking of the above - and getting back on track with the actual topic of this thread, that setlist is phenomenal. :drool:

The Ancient Mariner
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, what a great thread ... I just had to reply!!!

Metallica, Slayer, Sabbat ... 3 of my fave bands (in that order too) (other than Maiden of course!!!) :rocker:

For me Metallica did nothing between The Black Album and Death Magnetic. Both of which are great albums.
Load, Reload and St Anger (particularly St Anger) were nothing short of shite.
Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning are good, solid early days albums.
Master Of Puppets is a classic masterpiece. :rocker:
Justice For All is a superb follow-up to Puppets - a rock solid album with awesome tracks.
The Black Album has some great songs too, albeit heading towards the more commercial side of life that they never should've gone down that culminated in St Anger (and nearly cost them everything) ... thank fuck Death Magnetic has saved them ... a great album. :rocker:

As for Slayer ... Show No Mercy is a great debut album.
Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss ... :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker: ... says it all.
Divine Intervention and Diabulus In Musica (what a shite name for a Slayer album for fucks sake!) are poor.
God Hates Us All returns us to "old" Slayer.
And Christ Illusion is nothing short of superb. :rocker:
Can't wait for the next installment ... World Painted Blood :horns:

And then we have Sabbat ... being from the UK perhaps I know them better than some of you guys in the States?
For me they are a fantastic band you should check out if you enjoy thrash, great lyrics and tight live sets. Be prepared to have your ear drums ring for days after one of their live, intimate gigs!!!
Martin Walkyier is one of the most gifted lyricists I have ever come across and put him together with Andy Sneap - one of the most musically gifted people on the planet - and you have one hell of a band.
I honestly recommend checking out History Of A Time To Come and Dreamweaver :rocker:
Most people prefer Dreamweaver but for me it is actually History ... that gets the nod from me.
They only did 3 albums (the other was Mourning Has Broken with Richie Desmond on vocals this time around) ... a good, solid album but Martin Walkyier he ain't!!!
Also try out the video (yes, video!!! :tp: ) The End Of The Beginning ... fucking brilliant gig. Watch out for a new DVD hopefully coming soon once Andy Sneap has finished with Megadeth's new album, EndGame :party:

Hope I wasnt too long winded, but couldnt resist the right to reply! :D

Thanks for looking, guys! :blaze:

Wizzbang11
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
So to sum up:

For most: Old Slayer > old Metallica > new Slayer > new Metallica > all Sabbat

For some: Old Metallica > old Slayer > new Metallica > new Slayer > all Sabbat

For Wizzbang11: All Sabbat > all Slayer > all Metallica

You honestly think most people believe St. Anger to be superior to everything Sabbat has done?

And for me, it's more like:
Kill Em All/Ride the Lightning> All Sabbat (minus their last album)>Show No Mercy> Master of Puppets>Hell Awaits-Seasons> Justice> Everything else Slayer/Metallica have done

Sanitarium78
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Also try out the video (yes, video!!! :tp: ) The End Of The Beginning ... fucking brilliant gig. Watch out for a new DVD hopefully coming soon once Andy Sneap has finished with Megadeth's new album, EndGame :party:

Hope I wasnt too long winded, but couldnt resist the right to reply! :D

Thanks for looking, guys! :blaze:

I'm thinking of checking Sabbat out I like the production work Andy Sneap has done on some of the albums i've heard him do so it will be cool to hear what he does musically.

Also the new Megadeth is finished:horns: I got it off a torrent site today:rocker:
After one listen i can say that i like it better than the last one and Sneap's production is excellent. I'll still buy it though when it comes out next week.

mankvill
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
They also covered Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

EDIT: I just noticed somebody had already mentioned this - never mind.

I think they also covered Born To Be Wild.

Natrlhi
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
You honestly think most people believe St. Anger to be superior to everything Sabbat has done?
In truth? No. I was just trying to be succinct, with a side of sarcasm. ;)

And for me, it's more like:
Kill Em All/Ride the Lightning> All Sabbat (minus their last album)>Show No Mercy> Master of Puppets>Hell Awaits-Seasons> Justice> Everything else Slayer/Metallica have done
I actually agree with some of what you have in there (for example, the best of the Metallica and Slayer albums being the oldest), but I don't seem to remember liking Sabbat as much as you seem to. They were never bad, and in fact I've argued with my brother just recently (who was born in 1974 / I was born in 1971) that Sabbat was actually one of the better "lesser known" thrash bands of the late 80's. I just never actually compared them to Slayer (because of course they were the pinnacle of thrash back in those days), and in truth Sabbat's greatness has faded from my memory because they themselves had faded away as a band for so long.

I am listening right now on last.fm to "History of a Time to Come" (which I used to own on cassette - remember those?), and it's actually pretty good. Ah, the old days. :blaze:

JuuKun
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I have two things to say here:

1) That's an awesome Slayer set.

2) I like Dreamweaver better than any album by Slayer or Metallica. Except maybe South of Heaven.

ImmortalEmperor
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Don't forget the "Undisputed Attitude" album which is almost entirely made up of cover tunes.

Never mind, for some reason I completely blanked on reading your post. Please ignore...

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Slayer have also covered Born to Be Wild, Inna Godda Davida and Hand of Doom.

Also, Undisputed Attitude had Gemini on it, which was a new (at the time) Slayer song plus a couple of Jeff Hanneman penned punk songs.

Wraith27
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Altar of Sacrifice, Ghosts of War AND At Dawn They Sleep?

Epic Slayer set.