PDA

View Full Version : Fall Semester 2009 Thread

SomewhereInTime72
08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Where are you going to school,what classes are you taking, etc. General school discussion thread, since it seems to be a popular topic to begin with. :cool:

As for me, I'm a Psychology major, Computer Science minor (I may end up double-majoring since I'm already on the path to not quite graduating on time, may as well make it worthwhile :eyes: ) at Stony Brook University in the middle of nowhere. :cool: I'm lucky enough for my preferred subjects to also be two of the only programs in my school that are actually known for being good.

Classes I'm taking this year:

CHE 131 - General Chemistry IB
CSE 219 - Computer Science III
PSY 230 - Survey in Abnormal & Clinical Psychology
PSY 310 - Research and Writing in Psychology

I'm also on the waiting list for BIO 201, cause I need that shit. Fuck yeah, sciences. :D

My classes are early as heck this semester, which kind of sucks. I do get a nice long lunch break from 1140-215 on Mondays though, which I guess is pretty pleasant. However, this is just not very conducive at all to my general night-owl habits. :(

DethMaiden
08-31-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a Journalism major with an outside area in Economics (the College of Arts & Sciences won't let J-school students call it a second major, but that's what it is) at Indiana University in Bloomington. Mostly just knocking out required shit this semester, after this semester I just need one arts and humanities credit and the rest of my career here will be stuff specifically for journalism and economics, might even be able to graduate early. Here's my classes:

BIOL-L111: Evolution & Diversity
HISP-S250: Second-Year Spanish II
HON-H211: Ideas and Experience I
JOUR-J261: Studies in Journalism
MATH-M118: Finite Mathematics

Yeah, gonna be a rough semester except for journalism and the honors class (which is essentially just a classics class in translation; we're doing Prometheus Bound, the Aeneid, Plato's Symposium, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Dante's Inferno, and parts of the Bible), but whatever.

Div
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I only got into two classes this semester because I owed money from the spring and wasnt able to pay it back until early august, when mostly everything i needed was full. im gonna show up to the classes i need to take anyway and beg the professors to let me in. between transferring, switching majors, and bullshit like this i dont think ill ever graduate. :bouville:

on the upside, my friends and i got a house like 3 blocks from campus. we each have a bedroom, then theres a kitchen, living room, and two full baths. my rent is only $375 a month, all utilities included. cooked a big steak dinner last night with sautéed onions, salad and a lot of wine. fuck dorms, this is how you do college :D

TonyD
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
on the upside, my friends and i got a house like 3 blocks from campus. we each have a bedroom, then theres a kitchen, living room, and two full baths. my rent is only $375 a month, all utilities included. cooked a big steak dinner last night with sautéed onions, salad and a lot of wine. fuck dorms, this is how you do college :D

fuuuuuu

SomewhereInTime72
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
on the upside, my friends and i got a house like 3 blocks from campus. we each have a bedroom, then theres a kitchen, living room, and two full baths. my rent is only $375 a month, all utilities included.

You lucky bastard!

SirLardsAlot
08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm in my last year at Ramapo College of New Jersey. Communications major with a concentration in Media and Cinema Studies. My courses this semester are:

COMM410 - Global Media, Local Change
COMM317 - Media and Persuasion
COMM318 - The Campaign in Media and Film
COMM347 - The New TV Criticism

And my dorm, like last year, pwnz. 4 bedrooms, a full bathroom, kitchen, and living room. Yum. :D

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
This is my first year at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Political Science, with an undecided minor. I'm also going to have pre-law advisers.

For my first 3 years, we're still going to be on quarters, but my senior year ( I may graduate early) is going to be on semesters. My fall quarter looks like this:

Math 150 - Elementary Functions (hopefully my last math class ever)
Politsc 201H - Honors Intro to Political Behavior
SBSCOL 100H - Honors Freshman Social Behavior Science Survey
PUBAFFS 3** - Civics, Community Involvement, Leadership class

OSU rapes when it comes to GEC, so I still need 3 quarters of Spanish and a handful of physical sciences, but I hope to have those out of the way after this year. I walked in this fall with 30 credits from AP testing, so I'll be considered a sophomore after this quarter, which is awesome. I just can't stand waiting until September 23rd to start classes.

And my dorm is part of the John Glenn Learning Community, so that everyone on my floor is into leadership, public policy, government, law, etc. We get to debate and take a class together and use their resource center.

DethMaiden
08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Math 150 - Elementary Functions (hopefully my last math class ever)

I need M211 which is Calculus I for econ and I'm gonna try to take it in the spring. :snivel:

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I need M211 which is Calculus I for econ and I'm gonna try to take it in the spring. :snivel:

Yeah, Elementary Functions is precalculus, and I'm scared.....no way I could master calculus.

DethMaiden
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, Elementary Functions is precalculus, and I'm scared.....no way I could master calculus.

If it's anything like Finite Mathematics you'll be fine I think. I'm only one day in, but I did everything we did today in my head and the syllabus doesn't look to be much harder.

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
If it's anything like Finite Mathematics you'll be fine I think. I'm only one day in, but I did everything we did today in my head and the syllabus doesn't look to be much harder.

Inverse functions, logarithmic, exponential and trigonometric functions, and their graphs; complex numbers.

Fuck me

DethMaiden
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Fuck me

It'll all be a refresher course I think. We did all that stuff in Honors Algebra II.

ADD
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
HIST 100- Foundations of Western Civilization
ENGL 205- Creative Writing for Non-English majors
NTLS 105- Human Anatomy and Physiology
PHIL 424- Existentialism

ADD
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
As for me, I'm a Psychology major

Nice me too :cool: My earliest class on any day is at 2 in the afternoon though so thats rad :party: I'll probably be working some morning hours but sure beats having class at 9 on some days last year :hecho:

Div
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
HIST 100- Foundations of Western Civilization
ENGL 205- Creative Writing for Non-English majors
NTLS 105- Human Anatomy and Physiology
PHIL 424- Existentialism

is this related to your major or just an elective?

SomewhereInTime72
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Nice me too :cool: My earliest class on any day is at 2 in the afternoon though so thats rad :party: I'll probably be working some morning hours but sure beats having class at 9 on some days last year :hecho:

Sweet. :cool:

Also, Math isn't that hard guys. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
My political behavior class starts at 9:30 on Monday and Wednesday. My math is every single day 1:30-2:18. Monday-Wednesday-Friday my Survey is 330-4:18. And Tuesday - Thursday 330-5:18 is my leadership class.

I like that schedule. Nothing till 1:30 three days of the week, and nothing after 5:20 on any of the days. Plenty of sleep time and party time.

powerslave_85
08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
God, I'm so glad I only ever had to take one math class in college (which I got a "D" in, haha). When I started, the requirement for journalism was that you had to take one math class, then when I was a junior they changed it to you had to get a "B" in said class. Luckily, I was grandfathered into that, else I would have been royally fucked.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
This is my first year at Binghamton University, and I will be majoring in Business/Management, with two concentrations in Global Management/Finance. I'm currently taking some bullshit Algebra & Trig Class, I'm hoping to switch out of that ASAP. Taking a Pre-Calc course after taking College Calculus in high school is just pathetic.

CQS III (Computer Science for Management)
Macroeconomics
Intro To World Politics
Algebra & Trigonometry

I'm also interested in taking this internship that oversees the financial fund-raising portion of a corporation, so that should be interesting.

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm also interested in taking this internship that oversees the financial fund-raising portion of a corporation, so that should be interesting.

I've been scouring the internets for internships the past few days. Theres a few out there. I feel that having actual experience on a resume probably stands out more than a 'political science degree'.

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
So, my academic counselor just emailed me and told me that because they don't have the Leadership class call number verified, in order to protect my fulltime status and scholarships, I need to take a 1 credit hour boxing class. FML.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
I've been scouring the internets for internships the past few days. Theres a few out there. I feel that having actual experience on a resume probably stands out more than a 'political science degree'.

Yeah, it's a bit daunting, but it'll be really cool to get out in the "real world" I think. Better than sitting in a class and just saying you know all that shit anyway. Specific internships like the one I mentioned interest me a lot too, so that's always benecficial.

ADD
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
So, my academic counselor just emailed me and told me that because they don't have the Leadership class call number verified, in order to protect my fulltime status and scholarships, I need to take a 1 credit hour boxing class. FML.
Haha rad, now you'll be able to whoop ass.

JRA
08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Just an intro to Infomatics and intro to Telecommunications class.

@ Brad: You are fucking insane.

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Haha rad, now you'll be able to whoop ass.

Its gonna get dropped, but still the very idea makes me laugh. Besides, I whoop ass with my words, not my fists. :bliss:

Div
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
arent internships usually reserved for seniors?

ChildrenofSodom
08-31-2009, 10:04 PM
arent internships usually reserved for seniors?

No, not all. Its about half and half, really. Some are for juniors and seniors, some have no requirements.

IrritatedTrout
09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm a sophomore at Bridgewater College (near Harrisonburg, VA), majoring in International Studies. This year I'm trying to get a lot of Gen Ed stuff out of the way so my classes are:

BIOL-100-03 Nat Biol World
MUS-220-01 Intro West Music
ENG-330-01 Shakespeare
ECON-200-02 Prin Macro Econ
REL-220-01 New Testament

New Testament is from 8-9:15 on Tuesday and Thursday.:hecho:

JRA
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm a sophomore at Bridgewater College (near Harrisonburg, VA), majoring in International Studies. This year I'm trying to get a lot of Gen Ed stuff out of the way so my classes are:

BIOL-100-03 Nat Biol World
MUS-220-01 Intro West Music
ENG-330-01 Shakespeare
ECON-200-02 Prin Macro Econ
REL-220-01 New Testament

New Testament is from 8-9:15 on Tuesday and Thursday.:hecho:

You have "Formation of Damnation" class on tuesdays and thursdays? You lucky bastard!

rjturtle9
09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
You have "Formation of Damnation" class on tuesdays and thursdays? You lucky bastard!

:lol:

overkiller
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I can't remember if I mentioned this anywhere on the boards or not, but I'm currently enrolled in the Post-Baccalaureate program in Classics at the University of Pennsylvania, which should be a 1-year deal. It's kind of in between undergrad and grad school.

I took a six-week intensive course here on intermediate Ancient Greek from July-August, and on the 8th I'll be starting the post-bac seminars in Greek and Latin. In the Greek seminar we'll be reading Euripides' Medea and part of Apollonius' Argonautica. In the Latin seminar we'll be reading part of Caesar's Gallic War and Cicero's Letters to Quintus and Brutus. I still have yet to determine whether I'm going to take a third class or not--if I do, it'll probably either be some course on French or Italian, since this program is pretty much all about grad school prep, and I've had enough German to get by.

TonyD
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Just a random question, has anyone bought the "international edition" of a required text?
They're usually paperbacks with a different cover and number but the same on the inside.

ChildrenofSodom
09-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Brady - How many languages can you speak/read?

overkiller
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Brady - How many languages can you speak/read?

Well, English, obviously. I had 4 years of Spanish in high school, so I can still read that and could probably speak it if I really needed to. My German's not bad (two years in high school and two semesters in college), but I'm way out of practice with speaking that, too. I had one year of French in high school, so I get the general gist of it, but wouldn't be able to speak it. I lived in Italy for a month and picked up a decent amount of Italian--it's really a lot like Spanish, and having Latin and French helped too--but I wouldn't be able to speak much of it. Then of course there are Latin and Ancient Greek, both of which I can read but not speak (they don't teach you to speak dead languages).

So I don't have a straightforward answer, but there are in total 7 languages that I know something about, all of which I could read with a dictionary and some effort, and 3 of which I could really speak.

DethMaiden
09-02-2009, 07:31 AM
I can't remember if I mentioned this anywhere on the boards or not, but I'm currently enrolled in the Post-Baccalaureate program in Classics at the University of Pennsylvania, which should be a 1-year deal. It's kind of in between undergrad and grad school.

I took a six-week intensive course here on intermediate Ancient Greek from July-August, and on the 8th I'll be starting the post-bac seminars in Greek and Latin. In the Greek seminar we'll be reading Euripides' Medea and part of Apollonius' Argonautica. In the Latin seminar we'll be reading part of Caesar's Gallic War and Cicero's Letters to Quintus and Brutus. I still have yet to determine whether I'm going to take a third class or not--if I do, it'll probably either be some course on French or Italian, since this program is pretty much all about grad school prep, and I've had enough German to get by.

Where are you going to do your actual PhD at?

ChildrenofSodom
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I wish I could speak any other language. I'm strongly considering taking Swedish at OSU, because its only one quarter more than what I need for Spanish. But then again, I would probably use Spanish much more in my lifetime.

overkiller
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Where are you going to do your actual PhD at?

I don't know yet. I'm just going to apply to a bunch of schools and go to the best one I get into, as long as I can afford it. I probably won't apply to ALL of these, but here's my list at the moment:

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
UPenn
Boston U
NYU
Brown
Columbia
Fordham
Rutgers
CUNY
Berkeley
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
UNC Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
U of Chicago

DethMaiden
09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know yet. I'm just going to apply to a bunch of schools and go to the best one I get into, as long as I can afford it. I probably won't apply to ALL of these, but here's my list at the moment:

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
UPenn
Boston U
NYU
Brown
Columbia
Fordham
Rutgers
CUNY
Berkeley
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
UNC Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
U of Chicago

Whew, exhaustive. Good luck, man. I envy your position.

And I'm loving U of Chicago at the bottom there. Maybe you should escape the East Coast and give the Great Lakes a chance! :tongue:

Fe Maiden
09-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Not taking anything but teaching:

3 periods of Chem H

2 periods of Chem A

SirLardsAlot
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
UPenn
Boston U
NYU
Brown
Columbia
Fordham
Rutgers
CUNY
Berkeley
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
UNC Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt
U of Chicago
What about SCCC?

Div
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
as far as rutgers goes, we have a great grad student program, but the sciences greatly overshadow the classics department, so it isnt as big as other classics-oriented universities are, not to say that it wouldnt be a respected degree tho. that might work to your advantage if youre looking for a TA job. (i took a classics class here and the professor was basically begging students to major in it)

heres the website, click on "graduate" at the top http://classics.rutgers.edu/

wish i had more info for you, but im not really familiar with that department.

Butcher of Birth
09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Not taking anything but teaching:

3 periods of Chem H

2 periods of Chem A

You're a teacher? Badass... I want to be one.