PDA

View Full Version : Inglourious Basterds

DethMaiden
08-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Just got back from the midnight showing. Let me play Oscar in a more perfect world: Best Picture. Best Direction. Best Original Screenplay. Best Actor to Brad Pitt.

Best picture of the year unless something takes me by complete surprise, and in my top five all time. Holy shit, see this film.

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 12:47 AM
The only complaint I've heard so far, not my own, was that it was very 'chatty', and there is alot of talking. But this movie is by far one of the best I've ever seen. I doubt it will win Oscars, but it definitely deserves to. Flawless.

[Spoiler Alert]

Seeing Hitler get his face disintegrated by machine gun fire made me weep with patriotism.

DethMaiden
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I think that's a basically invalid complaint because the talking head scenes were a) extremely tense and never boring and b) full of great dialogue.

Spiral_Slave
08-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I thought it was crappy. Waaaaaaay too long and strung out (pointlessly so I might add) and hardly featured the basterds at all compared to the other limp dick story lines, and if I'm not mistaken that's what the movie was about?

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I'll be seeing this later today, I really am excited to see this, I've been hearing a lot of good things about it already in the 12 hours it's been out haha.

SomewhereInTime72
08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Seeing it tonight. :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I think the talking scenes were not only, as Brad said, very suspenseful and every single one served a purpose to prepare you for the coming action, but they broke up the mindless violence. Don't get me wrong, the violence and fire and blood were all great and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, but if there wasn't that serious dialogue, plotting, and back story, then it would just be another 'bloody' movie.

Div
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
so its a movie about a group of ww2 army rangers who go deep behind enemy lines to take out german officers? i believe that movie was already made under the title The Dirty Dozen.

Div
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
so its a movie about a group of ww2 army rangers who go deep behind enemy lines to take out german officers? i believe that movie was already made under the title The Dirty Dozen.

This concept has also been done in multiple video games.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Not even going to bother seeing it. The story looks boring as fuck and Tarantino focuses WAY too much on just being stylish and edgy.

People need to stop getting so excited about movies being "unmistakably Tarantino" and other such cliched "he's got his own style" comments. That just means he's got no imagination.

Plus, he's a twat.

Div
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Yea I don't see why he gets all this credit as being some amazing director. Reservoir Dogs was good, but alot of his other stuff just sucks. What was so great about Kill Bill again? I could get it if people like his stuff for being "stupidly awesome" but to seriously consider a Tarantino film as "Best Picture. Best Direction. Best Original Screenplay." :wtf:

JRA
08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Yea I don't see why he gets all this credit as being some amazing director. Reservoir Dogs was good,

You do realize that a lot of Reservoir Dogs was ripped off from City Of Fire, right?

Div
08-21-2009, 05:40 PM
You do realize that a lot of Reservoir Dogs was ripped off from City Of Fire, right?

No, I never saw that :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 07:28 PM
The story line doesn't just focus on the mission of the Basterds. The trailers would make you think so, but that isn't the case

And I didn't see anything weird about the directing or how the movie looked. I do not have a hard on for Quentin Tarantino, considering I have never seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, or Death Proof.

mankvill
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I thought it was okay. The side-story about the girl Jew just went on for too long, though. Doesn't even touch Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I am not some crazy Quenton Tarantino fan either, but this movie is very well done, great dialouge and acting. Honestly I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever, it doesn't matter if the idea has been used before or not, it was executed very well with a lot of thought.

mankvill
08-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I have never seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, or Death Proof.

wtf.

As for me: I liked it a lot, but I wish I could like it more. I loved the beginning with Eli Roth and the cottage and all the stuff featuring the Basterds, but I thought the Jewish girl meeting the movie star/going to lunch with him and the drunk nazi's/basterds/movie star scene went on for FAR too long.

We get it, they're just regular people. Come on. x_x

It's like Tarantino is trying to out-Tarantino himself.

I still liked it though.

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
We've already went over this: I haven't seen ovies that everyone has seen.

Div
08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
then watch them right now

http://tv-links.cc/movie/pulp-fiction.htm

JRA
08-21-2009, 08:24 PM
The story line doesn't just focus on the mission of the Basterds. The trailers would make you think so, but that isn't the case

And I didn't see anything weird about the directing or how the movie looked. I do not have a hard on for Quentin Tarantino, considering I have never seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, or Death Proof.

What? I am druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk as fuck right now and this post still fucking FAILS.

DethMaiden
08-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Yea I don't see why he gets all this credit as being some amazing director. Reservoir Dogs was good, but alot of his other stuff just sucks. What was so great about Kill Bill again? I could get it if people like his stuff for being "stupidly awesome" but to seriously consider a Tarantino film as "Best Picture. Best Direction. Best Original Screenplay." :wtf:

I didn't say that was going to happen. I was saying that in a world where I am the only voter on the Academy Awards committee and choose whatever the fuck I want, those things would happen. The Dark Knight would have been Best Picture last year by my hand, too.

And I personally think he outdid Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. The homage to Spaghetti westerns and the fact that it is, all things considered, a period piece proves that he can work outside of his own idiom. Sure, it's "undeniably Tarantino" or whatever, but I'm not some Tarantino fanboy. This is the only film of his that gets close to my upper echelon of favorite movies.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
The movie was awesome. End of god damn story. I don't have a hard on for Tarantino, but fuck, the movie was great. I went with two friends, we all enjoyed the absolute hell out of the movie.

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 08:42 PM
What? I am druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk as fuck right now and this post still fucking FAILS.

Maybe you should put down the bottle and realize that some people aren't like you.

powerslave_85
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
The story line doesn't just focus on the mission of the Basterds. And that was an enormous flaw, IMO. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

And there is NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL this came anywhere close to Pulp Fiction. Or even Reservoir Dogs.

SomewhereInTime72
08-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Excusi, but I don't really see the point in comparing this to other Tarantino movies.

TonyD
08-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Excusi, but I don't really see the point in comparing this to other Tarantino movies.
For rizzle

Brad Pitt's character was really entertaining but Hans stole the show. Everything between Zoller and Shoshanna was pretty lame.
That's all I have to say about that.

Spiral_Slave
08-22-2009, 07:34 AM
And that was an enormous flaw, IMO. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

And there is NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL this came anywhere close to Pulp Fiction. Or even Reservoir Dogs.

This. I wanted to see a movie about killing nazis. I don't need to see spend 10 bucks to see some french assholes talk in a bar for an hour. Seeing as the title of the movie is "Inglorious Basterds" they should have had a lot more air time.

DethMaiden
08-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Alright, I don't want to be Tarantino's Bulldog here, but he considered all of the protagonists in the movie to be "basterds", which meant "badasses" in the parlance of their times. Therefore, the entire movie is about inglorious bastards, and Brad Pitt's crew just happened to call themselves that. Misleading? Sure. But all trailers are, and directors don't make their own trailers, production companies make them to try to sell tickets, that's it.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-22-2009, 10:45 AM
This. I wanted to see a movie about killing nazis. I don't need to see spend 10 bucks to see some french assholes talk in a bar for an hour. Seeing as the title of the movie is "Inglorious Basterds" they should have had a lot more air time.

Actually, point in fact, about the only French people in that scene would've been the bartender and his daughter. The rest were German soldiers, the German actress, the English guy, the German basterd, and American basterd (none of the basterds were French.)

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I also liked that most of the actors, barring a few of the basterds, were unknown actors (to me at least). Most were actual French or German actors, and i thought it added authenticity and class to the movie. It felt like a foreign film at some points, and like a badass American action movie at other times, and like a parody-tribute to Spagheti Westerns other times still.

DethMaiden
08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't need to spend 10 bucks to see some french assholes talk in a bar for an hour.

I'm actually kind of shocked by this, as I have never seen French assholes talk in a bar. Your town is more diverse than mine, that's for sure.

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2009, 01:53 PM
How fucking lazy are Americans that they can't sit still and enjoy a film for 149 minutes, that is 1/3 action, 2/3 plot development? I think the Saw/Michael Bay/special effects years have gotten to us all.

Div
08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
give it a rest you two, the movie isnt the next "dark knight".

ChildrenofSodom
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I never said it would be. And I don't understand why the next movie always has to be compared to the last one. Why can't we look at movies/albums in their own context?

Maiden33
08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I never said it would be. And I don't understand why the next movie always has to be compared to the last one. Why can't we look at movies/albums in their own context?

I have no stake in this movie whatsoever, but I have to throw in my own thoughts here:

I hate when people pull this stuff about "You shouldn't compare an artist's new album to their last one". It's crap if you ask me. I agree that there is a big value in looking at an album as a singular piece, and recognizing it's good and bad qualities outside of what a band is known for. However, being that I listen to music on a band-to-band format and not an album-to-album format, I expect bands to stay true to what they're about and release quality material. If I follow a band over the course of 3 albums and then they drop a new one which is totally different and I don't care for it, I have every right to crap on it. I don't need someone telling me that I'm just a close-minded asshole not willing to looking at it on its own. The bottom line for me is that if an album is crap, it's crap. If I like a band, it means I like what they're about, and if they release something which doesn't confine to those general parameters, there's therefore a good chance it doesn't confine to the general parameters of something I like. I think albums shouldn't be detracted points just for not being "exactly like" or "not as good as" the last album, but I think an album should be held to a standard within a band's discography.

Note: This rant wasn't really directed at you, just something I've always thought and wanted to get off my chest.

DethMaiden
08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
give it a rest you two, the movie isnt the next "dark knight".

It's completely dissimilar except for the fact that each is the best movie of its respective release year.

Saw it again tonight. Still awesome.

powerslave_85
08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
each is the best movie of its respective release year.lol no

mastodon421
08-24-2009, 06:45 AM
This movie was fantastic. Held a very engaging storyline with brutal action and some great/funny dialogue. Brillant acting,highly entertaining. A must see.

ADD
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Sucked. I liked the blood and the scene where the Basterds pretend to be Italian. Otherwise, :zzz:

mankvill
08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
lol no

District 9 > Inglorious Basterds

powerslave_85
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
No contest.

SomewhereInTime72
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM

This is a silly comparison because the movies are pretty much not alike in any way whatsoever. If you ask me, just comparing the overall quality of the movie, they're around even and any difference I could find would be minimal.

I think people thought Basterds was boring because they had their preconceptions of "tarantino films" and were disappointed, meanwhile no one knew what to think about District 9 and everyone was pleasantly surprised.

powerslave_85
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Basterds DID have a lot of typical Tarantino movie characteristics. Unforuntately, it was mostly the bad ones.

ChildrenofSodom
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
NEVER SEEN A TARANTINO MOVIE. DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHO TARANTINO IS. I JUST LIKED THE MOVIE.

SomewhereInTime72
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Basterds DID have a lot of typical Tarantino movie characteristics. Unforuntately, it was mostly the bad ones.

Well for the most part people wanted more guns n' guts, which was definitely there but not as often as what was expected, especially since the trailers made it look like it was all about killin natseez

Wizzbang11
09-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I think this is easily the best movie I have seen in the last 2 years. I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

Reservoir Dogs is probably my favorite movie. Pulp Fiction would have been great if it weren't for that fucking stupid Bruce Willis storyline that almost ruined it for me. Kill Bill is bad. Death Proof wasn't too good either. So, I say Reservoir Dogs>Inglorious Basterds>Pulp Fiction

powerslave_85
09-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Okay, so I finally saw this again, and I take back a lot of the negative things I said about it. I didn't like it the first time because I was expecting an entirely different movie, but now that I knew what I was getting into, it was much more enjoyable. Still not Tarantino's best, but pretty excellent. And I can't get over just how fucking brilliant Christoph Waltz is. Holy shit.

DethMaiden
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
http://brad250.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-108-inglourious-basterds.html