PDA

View Full Version : It's official...

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=125635

What a damn shame. All the blabbermouth people are finding this very cool, and to some degree I share that excitement, but Ozzy has done nothing but suck this past decade, arguably longer. I love Firewind, and I would much rather have Gus stay in Firewind and keep his ideologies in there than try and fix a "band" that has long gone given out crap, for lack of better terms. Ah...it was bound to come anyway. To look on the bright side, Gus plays circles over Wylde, and his input into Ozzy will be interesting to say the least.

Maiden33
08-20-2009, 11:18 PM
What a fucking waste. This is terrible news. I swear to god if this somehow leads to Firewind breaking up or anything like that, I will be absolutely irate.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I doubt this will affect Firewind's stance as band, but it's just the fact that it's so much wasted talent. Gus is a beast of a player, one of my favorites in the power metal genre, and he stands out a lot. And for him to be in Ozzy Osbourne? Really? A guy who hasn't put out anything even close to par? It's saddening to say the least. I share your massive dissapoint.

...:chair:

Maiden33
08-20-2009, 11:54 PM
:bouville::mad::flame::grrr::barf::angry::pissed:

The reality of this is just slowly sinking in. God I can't even imagine what the eventual effects of this might be. God damn I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind. I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind. I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind...

ChildrenofSodom
08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
So, the consensus is that Gus G is too good for Ozzy? I agree.

TonyD
08-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Better than the BLS crowd showing up at your shows.

I'm not gonna act like this guy going to Ozzy is a triumph or a huge loss.
Oh what will metal do without Firewind...

So, the consensus is that Gus G is too good for Ozzy? I agree.

The guy has quite a bit of technical prowess but it's nothing more than a bad match.
If you look at Ozzy's career, very little of his success and failure has to do with his own work. He's got a unique voice, he's good at being in the right place at the right time and yelling "I can't hear you".

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Man, I like the guy, but Gus G is such a fucking mercenary. Constantly bailing out of bands to do something else.

I'm disappointed. I saw very little wrong with both 'Down To Earth' and 'Black Rain', and I've always loved Zakk, so if this is true, I won't be seeing Ozzy live on the next tour.

Derelict
08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Guy's gotta pay his rent...

JRA
08-21-2009, 06:31 AM
:bouville::mad::flame::grrr::barf::angry::pissed:

The reality of this is just slowly sinking in. God I can't even imagine what the eventual effects of this might be. God damn I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind. I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind. I don't want trendy metal hipsters listening to Firewind...

Trendy metal hipsters haven't taken Ozzy seriously since 2001. In fact, most of them jumped ship and became Dio/Dio Sabbath fans. :fingers:

Personally, I'm more pissed about how Zakk got fucked out of the band than some power metal guitarist who means nothing to me. :fingers:

Spiral_Slave
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Pretty lame, but I mean from Gus's point of view this is probably a huge opportunity for him and like someone above me said, the dude's gotta pay his rent. I also hope this doesn't like to the breaking up of Firewind.

IrritatedTrout
08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty excited by this. Hopefully this will light a fire under Ozzy's ass and he'll put out a decent album. Not to mention I've always hated Zakk's playing.

Sinfulsot
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
One thing i've learned since actively pursuing the heavy metal muisc is that these moves aren't necessarily permanent, nor do they hinder the ...let me put it as the "band minus one".

TonyD
08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Man, I like the guy, but Gus G is such a fucking mercenary. Constantly bailing out of bands to do something else.

Sounds more like an undedicated asshole than a mercenary.

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
OMG Worst fucking Blabbermouth comment I've ever read:

honestly gus.g is one of the shittiest guitarist i have ever heard, this playing lacks indentity it lacks feel it lacks vibrato he lacks a original tone he lacks balls, he lacks songwriting

firewind is fuckin trash that shit isnt powermetal, bands like manowar and dragonforce are fuckin powermetal.

fuckin herman li skull fucks gus.g so bad it's not even funny.

gus.g is a fuckin turd on zakk wylde's shoe, zakk wylde has much more control over the guitar than that fuckin pussyboy.

gus.g nutless mother fucker plays with no balls.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
^

:LOL:

JuuKun
08-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm hoping this will lead to atleast a DECENT Ozzy album, but more concerned with hoping this doesn't break Firewind up. He is, definitely, too good for Ozzy though.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds more like an undedicated asshole than a mercenary.

I don't know, he does seem to follow the money. He bailed out of Mystic Prophecy as soon as Dream Evil were more successful. Did the same thing to them once Firewind got going. And he blew off Nightrage as soon as Arch Enemy came knocking.

It amuses me constantly that Mystic Prophecy are making better albums than both of them these days. 'Fireangel' and 'Satanic Curses' are immense albums.

Indestructible
08-21-2009, 12:26 PM
has anyone lost respect for ozzy since him sueing iommi and him kicking out zakk

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM
has anyone lost respect for ozzy since him sueing iommi and him kicking out zakk

No more than before.

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know, he does seem to follow the money. He bailed out of Mystic Prophecy as soon as Dream Evil were more successful. Did the same thing to them once Firewind got going. And he blew off Nightrage as soon as Arch Enemy came knocking.

It amuses me constantly that Mystic Prophecy are making better albums than both of them these days. 'Fireangel' and 'Satanic Curses' are immense albums.

As far as Firewind are concerned, Gus has said for years that they were always his primary concern. He was involved in the other projects as a hired musician, but they weren't HIS bands, like Firewind was. Before Allegiance came out he decided to quit all of his other bands and projects to give Firewind the time and attention it needed, and considering how much ground they covered from 2006 to present, I'd say it was a worthwhile decision.

And on the subject of Mystic Prophecy, I can't say I'm crazy about anything they've done, with Gus post-Gus.

makethemsuffer12
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
If anything that made people gain some respect, though most people (myself included) didn't have much respect for him in the first place. Seriously, kicking out Zakk was probably the best move he could have done besides retiring.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
As far as Firewind are concerned, Gus has said for years that they were always his primary concern. He was involved in the other projects as a hired musician, but they weren't HIS bands, like Firewind was. Before Allegiance came out he decided to quit all of his other bands and projects to give Firewind the time and attention it needed, and considering how much ground they covered from 2006 to present, I'd say it was a worthwhile decision.

Well no, not HIS. But that's like saying Iron Maiden isn't Dave Murray's band. He was in Dream Evil from day one, and he bailed. He can keep making the "focus on Firewind" excuse all he likes.

And yeah, 'Allegiance' and 'Forged In Fire' were good, but I really don't think 'The Premonition' is anything special at all. It's just 'Allegiance II', really.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 01:33 PM
If anything that made people gain some respect, though most people (myself included) didn't have much respect for him in the first place. Seriously, kicking out Zakk was probably the best move he could have done besides retiring.

There's two sides to that. Not everyone is happy about the Zakk thing. Seriously, for every metal fan I know who's happy about it, I know another who only continued to even pay attention to Ozzy because of Zakk.

I know when I saw him live in '07 if it weren't for Zakk I might have just left. He saved that show from being a complete disaster.

300%_Density
08-22-2009, 08:04 AM
http://www.smnnews.com/2009/08/21/zakk-wylde-not-getting-the-boot-from-the-ozzy-osbourne-camp/

TonyD
08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
That should have been clear by now. It says they're only filling in because Bordin and Wylde are touring with FNM and BLS.
So that's how you replace Zakk Wylde, get a Euro power metal guy and a soulless Chinese kid.

SomewhereInTime72
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Zakk must be fucking Sharon or something because he's never out of the band.

edit: i just wanted to put bad images in your heads

mankvill
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
i don't listen to either band

lewl

ravenheart
08-22-2009, 01:33 PM
a soulless Chinese kid.

Lol, the kid's 9 years old, give him a break. He's hardly going to have a stage persona at 9.

300%_Density
08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I think he also made the shirt that I'm wearing.

TonyD
08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Why the fuck was Ozzy playing a show at a video game expo anyway?

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Ozzy failed.

Maiden33
08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Ozzy failed.

That's not all that surprising.

TonyD
08-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Watched a couple of videos, not impressed at all with anything or anyone, especially that Greek power metal prince.

ravenheart
08-23-2009, 05:18 AM
not impressed at all with anything or anyone, especially that Greek power metal prince.

Clufetos did a good job. Gus was OK. Just played everything competently, which is all you can hope for from a one-off stand-in.

JRA
08-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Why the fuck was Ozzy playing a show at a video game expo anyway?

At first I thought BlizzCon meant Blizzard Of Ozz Convention. :eyes:

Maiden33
08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I think Gus was in a really strange spot for this. He had two choices as far as approaching the playing, and both were bound to attract a huge amount of criticism:
1.Try to be as true to the original performances as possible, and then get criticized for being uncreative and unoriginal, or bashed for not matching every single little nuance.
or
2.Take a lot of liberty and really try to make the songs your own, and then catch shit from everyone for disrespecting the originals or making them shittier.

No matter what happened, there were going to be legions of people hating on Gus for how he played. I haven't even watched the videos and I'm not sure I will. I hope this does not become a semi-permanent thing though. I'll look forward to Ozzy going back to someone I don't care about at all and Gus going back to making his own, great music.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-23-2009, 02:58 PM
That's not all that surprising.

Never thought it would be ;)

rjturtle9
08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
i saw the performance. it was pretty good. i like his guitar playing.

TonyD
08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Clufetos did a good job. Gus was OK. Just played everything competently, which is all you can hope for from a one-off stand-in.

He was ok but didn't surprise me since I've seen him before. The "one hand in the air every other beat" thing gets a little old.

ravenheart
08-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Looking forward to getting the whole show on DVD, actually.

TonyD
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
wat (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=126197)

TonyD
09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
In fact, Zakk is my favorite Ozzy guitar player ever and my biggest influence of them all! It's quite an honor for me to step into his shoes. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=126585)

Wow.

Maiden33
09-08-2009, 09:24 AM
In fact, Zakk is my favorite Ozzy guitar player ever and my biggest influence of them all! It's quite an honor for me to step into his shoes. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=126585)

Wow.

Oh boy. Gus G can say that all he wants, but I don't hear much Zakk Wylde influence in the majority of his playing at all, and I've never seen him list Zakk as an influence anywhere else. I just don't understand WHY you would claim that.

makethemsuffer12
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Oh boy. Gus G can say that all he wants, but I don't hear much Zakk Wylde influence in the majority of his playing at all, and I've never seen him list Zakk as an influence anywhere else. I just don't understand WHY you would claim that.

Have you heard/seen the Blizzcon footage? He plays very similarly to Zakk at that performance.

But otherwise, his style in Firewind is deffinately not like Zakk's.

Maiden33
09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Have you heard/seen the Blizzcon footage? He plays very similarly to Zakk at that performance.

But otherwise, his style in Firewind is deffinately not like Zakk's.

I haven't seen the footage, and I don't doubt he plays the stuff very similar to Zakk, but that's much more because he's just good at mimicking the style, as opposed to actually being influenced by Zakk. Hell, I can mimic Zakk and I hate him.

TonyD
09-08-2009, 03:56 PM
If he was mimicking, he wasn't doing a very good job. He did everything in Zakk's style but it all came out with less balls.
Yeah he's all about the macho shit, but he walks the walk.

Maiden33
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
If he was mimicking, he wasn't doing a very good job. He did everything in Zakk's style but it all came out with less balls.
Yeah he's all about the macho shit, but he walks the walk.

Whatever. :tp: