PDA

View Full Version : Maiden album ranking

IrritatedTrout
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
The other topichttp://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11070&page=2 was being hijacked so I started a new one for this discussion.

2006:
Then: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Now: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

Hands fuckin down. Greatest album ever recorded.:light:

Wow. Interesting thread to say the least. Lots of diversity and only 1 truly head scratching moment. A Matter of Life and Death the best album ever? It isn't even in my top 5 Maiden albums let alone all-time status.

I'm listening to Children of the Damned right now and think it's one of the best vocals I've ever heard. I would certainly rate Number of the Beast my favorite Maiden album and definitely the best artwork of all time. Do other people think that album is better than the classics like Piece of Mind and NOTB?

It's a fucking amazing record, considering their age and their past achievement, they had nothing to proove to anyone and they still go out and creates classic album like that. I mean come on , a bunch of 50 years old still firing from all cylinders like that. AMOLAD is a fucking masterpiece to me nothing less, but you're right they have done better, and only because they are Iron Fucking Maiden, this album done by any other band would be that band best album, but coming from Maiden you have a handfull of record better than this.

Here is my ranking of Maiden albums:

1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
4. Brave New World
5. A Matter Of Life & Death
6. Powerslave
7. Somewhere In Time
8. Iron Maiden
9. Dance Of Death
10. Killers
11. The X Factor
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Virtual 11
14. No Prayer For The Dying

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:hecho:

is that good or bad ? hehehe

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Depends who you're asking. Also I would assume Powerslave at #6 goes against popular opinion.

Yeah I'm old school and have the older albums 1st. I'm surprised Killers isn't getting it's proper due though. Steve Harris is a monster on that album. Here's how I would rank my Maiden albums:

2. Piece Of Mind
3. Killers
4. Powerslave
5. Iron Maiden
6. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
7. A Matter Of Life & Death
8. Somewhere In Time
9. Brave New World
10. Dance Of Death
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. The X Factor
13. Virtual 11

I also think Live after Death is one of the 5 best live albums ever made and would rank it 3rd. Maiden Japan would be 8th even as an EP

I've noticed that the two most widely-held Maiden beliefs is that No Prayer For the Dying is easily one of the bottom 2, and that Powerslave is one of their best. Not to say everyone thinks that, I just found that it's probably close to the only 2 Maiden album rankings/statements that the majority of fans will agree on.
But enough about this. I'd love to post my own Maiden album ranking, but I advise the next person who wants to do so to post a separate thread for it, so this one doesn't become further over-run.

My list from best to worst is:

1. A Matter Of Life & Death
2. Somewhere In Time
3. Dance Of Death
4. Powerslave
5. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6. Piece Of Mind
7. The Number of the Beast
8. The X Factor
9. Brave New World
10. Iron Maiden
11. Virtual XI
12. No Prayer for The Dying
13. Killers
14. Fear of the Dark

Yep, I just put Killers almost dead last and DoD top three. Haha, that probably won't go over well. 2 through 6 are all virtually on the same level so it was really hard to rank them. NoTB is way overrated in my opinion. It's great but not jaw-dropping, career-defining great IMO.

DethMaiden
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
So much fun. :D

1. Powerslave
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3. Piece of Mind
4. The Number of the Beast
5. Somewhere in Time
6. Dance of Death
7. Iron Maiden
8. Brave New World
9. Killers
10. A Matter of Life and Death
11. Fear of the Dark
12. The X-Factor
13. Virtual XI
14. No Prayer for the Dying

EDIT: If I were to rate them out of ten, I'd say 1 through 8 are all 10s, 9 and 10 are 9s, 11-12 are 7s, and the bottom two are like 5s, roughly.

SirLardsAlot
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Keep in mind I love all the albums.

1. Powerslave
3. The Number of the Beast
4. Iron Maiden
5. No Prayer for the Dying
6. Piece of Mind
7. Somewhere in Time
8. Brave New World
9. Dance of Death
10. Killers
11. The X Factor
12. Fear of the Dark
13. A Matter of Life and Death
14. Virtual XI

DethMaiden
08-19-2009, 11:35 AM

lolwut

ImmortalEmperor
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm into the whole brevity thing, so...

1. Powerslave
2. Iron Maiden
4. Piece of Mind
5. Killers

DethMaiden
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Abide. :fist:

Indestructible
08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
this is always hard for me

These are great.
Somewhere in Time (1986)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
Powerslave (1984)
Brave New World (2000)
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Piece of Mind (1983)
Dance of Death (2003)
A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

these albums are good but the other ones are superior
No Prayer for the Dying (1990)
Fear of the Dark (1992)
The X Factor (1995)
Virtual XI (1998)
Iron Maiden (1980)
Killers (1981)

mankvill
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
1. Powerslave
2. The Number Of The Beast
3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
4. Somewhere In Time
5. Piece Of Mind
6. Brave New World
7. A Matter Of Life And Death
8. Iron Maiden
9. Killers
10. Dance Of Death
11. Fear of the Dark
12. No Prayer For The Dying

I haven't heard the Blaze discs yet. :lol:

PowerMaiden
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Wow ! that's a first to me, I've never seen anybody place No Prayer that high, cool, like you said they are all good, even No Prayer for me is worth a solid 8/10

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Indestructible
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
1. Powerslave
2. The Number Of The Beast
4. Somewhere In Time
5. Piece Of Mind
6. Brave New World
7. A Matter Of Life And Death
8. Iron Maiden
9. Killers
10. Dance Of Death
11. Fear of the Dark

I haven't heard the Blaze discs yet. :lol:

The x factor is good. i havent heard virtual XI. my uncle said that the x factor sounds like dickinson with a cold. TXF is a good album.

Maiden33
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow ! that's a first to me, I've never seen anybody place No Prayer that high, cool, like you said they are all good, even No Prayer for me is worth a solid 8/10

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Seriously, give me a break. Maiden are my favorite band, I love them to death, but No Prayer For the Dying is a crap album. It's got a few highlights but generally speaking, it's easily among the weakest they've done, and I'd say a 6/10 is probably about the rating it deserves.

PowerMaiden
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Seriously, give me a break. Maiden are my favorite band, I love them to death, but No Prayer For the Dying is a crap album. It's got a few highlights but generally speaking, it's easily among the weakest they've done, and I'd say a 6/10 is probably about the rating it deserves.

I am serious dude, I love that album, back to the raw sound, Tailgunner, Public Enema # 1, the title track, Assassin, BYDTTS, Mother Russia are all 8/10 and more for me, but that's my taste, you don't have to aggree

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Indestructible
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
NPFTD is a good album. it does have there two worst songs thoe HS and BYDTTS

powerslave_85
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
1. Powerslave
2. Number of the Beast
3. Seventh Son
4. Somewhere In Time
5. Brave New World
6. Piece of Mind
7. Iron Maiden
8. A Matter of Life and Death
9. X Factor
10. Dance of Death
11. Killers
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Virtual XI
14. No Prayer For the Dying

7-12 is pretty subjective; the ranking of those just depends on my mood, I guess.

JRA
08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
This never, ever gets old.

1. Number Of The Beast
(the rest can vary day to day, so being as today is Wednesday :D)
2. Powerslave
3. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
4. Killers
5. Somewhere In Time
6. Iron Maiden
7. Piece Of Mind
8. Brave New World

...who cares after that?

SirLardsAlot
08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
I knew I'd turn a few heads with NPFTD at 5. :D

While the album may not have any super stand out tracks on it, I really enjoy every single song on the album. Some albums ranked lower, such as SIT and POM, have awesome stand out tracks such as The Trooper, Revelations, Caught Somewhere in Time, they also have a few songs that are, well, a little sub-par such as Quest for Fire or Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner. Therefore, I would say that NPFTD is an awesome album all the way through.

And again, keep in mind, there is not a Maiden album I dislike, nor is there a Maiden song I dislike. I love it all :D

SomewhereInTime72
08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
...they also have a few songs that are, well, a little sub-par such as... Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner.

:wtf: :flame:

Mine is probably something like:

1. Somewhere In Time
3. Powerslave
4. The X Factor
^v (these two are really hard to compare so I'd say they switch off from time to time)
5. Piece of Mind
6. Number of the Beast
7. Killers
8. Dance of Death/A Matter of Life and Death (tie)
10. Iron Maiden
11. Brave New World
12. Fear of The Dark
13. Virtual XI
14. No Prayer for the Dying

I'm like PowerMaiden in that I still like every album, however NPFTD is the only one that I'll pretty much never listen too... I would say that VXI is where I stop liking it and NPFTD is where I start thinking its "okay" and only put on from time to time or when I'm really on a Maiden kick.

TonyD
08-19-2009, 01:01 PM

1. Powerslave
2. Iron Maiden
4. Piece of Mind
5. Killers

High five for list and brevity.

SirLardsAlot
08-19-2009, 01:13 PM
:wtf: :flame:People need to stop missing my disclaimers.

IrritatedTrout
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Despite me putting NPFTD near the bottom of the list I do enjoy the record. Hooks in You = :party:. The only songs that I don't really like are Fates Warning and Mother Russia. I don't really understand how people enjoy FOTD more than NPFTD. IMO Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior, The Apparition, Childhoods End, and Fear is the Key are all pure filler. Judas Be My Guide is criminally underated though.

SomewhereInTime72
08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
People need to stop missing my disclaimers.

I love that song though. :(

PowerMaiden
08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
IMO Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior, The Apparition, Childhoods End, and Fear is the Key are all pure filler. Judas Be My Guide is criminally underated though.

Agreed 100 % on this, all these songs you named are fillers to me too. the reason why I put FOTD slightly over NPFTD is because the good songs on FOTD, well the songs that I find good (title track, Be Quick, Afraid, Judas and maybe even The Fugitive) are all 10/10 songs, as opposed to No Prayer For The Dying where only the title track and maybe BYDTTS are perfect 10's. Another way of saying it would be that I can listen to entire NPFTD album without skipping too many songs but on FOTD I could skip all those fillers easily, but the rest of the album is so good that I have to place it higher in my ranking :radar:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

b_halperin
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
1. Powerslave
2. Piece of Mind
4. Fear of the Dark
5. Killers

Maiden33
08-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Alright, here is mine. A few of these are sure to spring up some controversy.

1.Somewhere In Time
2.Brave New World
-
3.Piece of Mind
4.Powerslave
5.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
-
6.A Matter of life and Death
7.Dance of Death
-
8.The X Factor
9.Fear of the Dark
10.A Number of the Beast
-
11.Killers
12.Iron Maiden
13.Virtual XI
14.No Prayer For the Dying

Notes:
-The separations mark the different tiers of albums for me. The albums within each group are far closer together than others. The order within them tends to change a good bit, though this list is my general assessment.
-Somewhere In Time is my favorite album of all-time, and I think it stands head-and-shoulders above every other Maiden album in terms of consistency. Every track would rank within my personal top 50 Maiden songs.
-I think both DiAnno albums are on the crap side. There's a few great tracks between them, but I'm really just not into it. And yes, I've heard all the BS for this and I don't care. I just don't really like Paul's voice or the more punk-ish and raw musical approach and that's all there is to it.
-I think Fear of the Dark is pretty underrated on the whole. 3 of the tracks (Judas Be My Guide, title track, Wasting love) are among my top 25 Maiden tracks. Aside from that I think Afraid to Shoot Strangers is great, Childhood's End is incredibly underrated, and The Fugitive is very solid as well. The rest of the album bounces between mediocre and crap, but most of the rest of the tracks still have something about them I like. Even the generally terrible Fear is the Key has the great and catchy "I remember a time" part in it.
-This is gonna get me so much crap from so many people, but I think Number of the Beast is incredibly overrated. I've had many debates over this, and this is my reasoning, plain and simple: Hallowed Be Thy Name is a masterpiece. 22 Acacia Avenue, The Prisoner, and Children of the Damned are all great, and the title track is too despite it's over-saturation. But the other 3 songs kind of suck in my opinion. Invaders has a lot of great going for it but it just blows it all with that mind-numbingly shitty chorus. The other two are just pure filler, and unfortunately one of them went on to be Maiden's most well-known track.
Hmmm.... I'm sure there's more random thoughts and disclaimers I could list, but I might wind up discussing them eventually anyway.

Wrathchild_84
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
1) Killers
2) Iron Maiden
3) Piece Of Mind
4) Powerslave
5) The X-Factor
6) Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
7) Fear Of The Dark
8) No Prayer For The Dying
9) Brave New World
10) Somewhere In Time
11) Virtua XI
12) The Number Of The Beast
13) Dance Of Death
14) A Matter Of Life And Death

PowerMaiden
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
to you last 2 posters, what's wrong with you guys ???

hehehe ... just kidding :horns:, but I find NOTB incredibly low on your lists

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jerry1013
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
From top to bottom.

Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Brave New World
Iron Maiden
Powerslave
Somewhere In Time
Fear Of The Dark
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Killers
A Matter Of Life And Death
The X Factor
Dance Of Death
No Prayer For The Dying
Virtual X

powerslave_85
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Alright, here is mine. A few of these are sure to spring up some controversy.

1.Somewhere In Time
2.Brave New World
-
3.Piece of Mind
4.Powerslave
5.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
-
6.A Matter of life and Death
7.Dance of Death
-
8.The X Factor
9.Fear of the Dark
10.A Number of the Beast
-
11.Killers
12.Iron Maiden
13.Virtual XI

Notes:
-The separations mark the different tiers of albums for me. The albums within each group are far closer together than others. The order within them tends to change a good bit, though this list is my general assessment.
-Somewhere In Time is my favorite album of all-time, and I think it stands head-and-shoulders above every other Maiden album in terms of consistency. Every track would rank within my personal top 50 Maiden songs.
-I think both DiAnno albums are on the crap side. There's a few great tracks between them, but I'm really just not into it. And yes, I've heard all the BS for this and I don't care. I just don't really like Paul's voice or the more punk-ish and raw musical approach and that's all there is to it.
-I think Fear of the Dark is pretty underrated on the whole. 3 of the tracks (Judas Be My Guide, title track, Wasting love) are among my top 25 Maiden tracks. Aside from that I think Afraid to Shoot Strangers is great, Childhood's End is incredibly underrated, and The Fugitive is very solid as well. The rest of the album bounces between mediocre and crap, but most of the rest of the tracks still have something about them I like. Even the generally terrible Fear is the Key has the great and catchy "I remember a time" part in it.
-This is gonna get me so much crap from so many people, but I think Number of the Beast is incredibly overrated. I've had many debates over this, and this is my reasoning, plain and simple: Hallowed Be Thy Name is a masterpiece. 22 Acacia Avenue, The Prisoner, and Children of the Damned are all great, and the title track is too despite it's over-saturation. But the other 3 songs kind of suck in my opinion. Invaders has a lot of great going for it but it just blows it all with that mind-numbingly shitty chorus. The other two are just pure filler, and unfortunately one of them went on to be Maiden's most well-known track.
Hmmm.... I'm sure there's more random thoughts and disclaimers I could list, but I might wind up discussing them eventually anyway.
Really the only thing I totally disagree with is ranking Piece of Mind above Powerslave. And I think "Invaders" is fucking awesome, regardless of the weak chorus. It has some of the heaviest riffing they've ever done.

ravenheart
08-20-2009, 12:36 AM
1. Somewhere In Time
2. Brave New World
3. A Matter of Life And Death
4. The Number of The Beast
5. Dance of Death
6. The X Factor
7. Killers
8. Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
9. Iron Maiden
10. Powerslave
11. Virtual XI
13. Fear of The Dark
14. Piece of Mind

mastodon421
08-20-2009, 06:15 AM
1.Piece Of Mind
2.The Number Of The Beast
3.Powerslave
4.Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
5.Iron Maiden
6.Somewhere In Time
7.Killers
8.Matter Of Life And Death
9.Brave New World
10.Fear of The Dark
11.Dance Of Death
12.No Prayer For The Dying
13.The X Factor
14.Virtual XI

DethMaiden
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
1. Somewhere In Time
2. Brave New World
5. Dance of Death
6. The X Factor
7. Killers
9. Iron Maiden
10. Powerslave
11. Virtual XI
13. Fear of The Dark
14. Piece of Mind

Alright, Captain Different-for-Difference's-Sake, what the fuck are you talking about. If Piece of Mind is the worst Iron Maiden album and Powerslave is only 10th best, I'm a monkey's uncle.

JRA
08-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Holy shit.

I also think Invaders fucking owns, as does Run To The Hills. The first time I seriously heard the latter, that intro riff came out of nowhere and I loved it (Too bad Maiden can't quite get it right live). Second of all, it has one of the most insane drumming performances I've ever heard (another thing Nicko doesn't do right). You try doing that 32nd note high hat rhythm and then get back to me. Third, one of the reasons I like NOTB so much better than all the other Maiden albums is because of Bruce's vocal sound. He sounds like a rabid wolf ready to rip your face off, and that is brought to the absolute forefront on RTTH.

Perhaps I might be biased about this because I don't sit around listening to the radio waiting for a song to be "overplayed," but hating a song because it's overplayed is phenomonally stupid to me. I don't think I'll ever get sick of Run To The Hills, Iron Man, or Stairway To Heaven. I think I've only heard Stairway To Heaven about 4 times on the radio since becoming familiar with it, and at least half of those times were small chunks of it. And Especially on here, overplayed doesn't even necessarily mean hearing it too much, just seeing it too much. By that logic, I should be sick of Hearts Alive, Alexander The Great, Rime of The Ancient Mariner and Hallowed Be Thy Name. But I'm not, so there. :tongue:

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2009, 08:39 AM
1.) The Number of the Beast
2.) Powerslave
3.) Somewhere in Time
4.) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
5.) Brave New World
6.) Dance of Death
7.) Piece of Mind
8.) Iron Maiden
9.) Killers
10.) Fear of the Dark
11.) A Matter of Life and Death
12.) No Prayer for the Dying
13.) Virtual XI
14.) The X Factor

That's it. After a Full Mental Debate.

Maiden33
08-20-2009, 09:07 AM
1. Somewhere In Time
2. Brave New World
5. Dance of Death
6. The X Factor
7. Killers
9. Iron Maiden
10. Powerslave
11. Virtual XI
13. Fear of The Dark
14. Piece of Mind

As usual with just about anything you do, there's a few points I love and a few I hate.
You're the first person to post a list that has shared my #1 and 2 in those places, so yay for that. I also admire your higher-than-average rankings of The X-Factor and A Matter of life and Death.
But I just CAN'T believe Powerslave at #10 and Piece of Mind at #14. To even try to comprehend that Piece of Mind is worse than No Prayer For the Dying makes my brain go numb. Hell, trying to comprehend that Fear of the Dark is worse than NPFTD is difficult for me.

jhdeity
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
This began in the other DethMaiden topic and it piqued my interest enough to create a new thread. I had never really thought about it until now so with so many Maiden fans on here I thought it would be a cool thread and fun to debate for a while.

Just a brief history behind my picks. My 1st Iron Maiden album was Killers. I bought it because they were opening for Judas Priest and there was a huge buzz about them. I remember seeing the artwork for the 1st time and knowing these guys were going to be great. The Ides of March leading into Wrathchild had my jaw on the floor. Murders in the Rue Morgue was an incredible follow up and I rememeber at that point going back and listening to those 3 songs again and calling all my friends to come over and we were all hooked. I bought Maiden Japan next then Number of the Beast dropped and changed everything. I still picked up Iron Maiden but by this time I was listening to Hallowed be thy Name, The Prisioner and Children of the Damned on a daily basis. They're still my 3 favorite songs off of that album today.

I didn't include the live albums but feel free if you want to. Like I stated before I think Live after Death is one of the 5 best live albums ever made and would rank it 3rd. Maiden Japan would be 8th even as an EP because the songs translate so well live. Enjoy!

2. Piece Of Mind
3. Killers
4. Powerslave
5. Iron Maiden
6. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
7. A Matter Of Life & Death
8. Somewhere In Time
9. Brave New World
10. Dance Of Death
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. The X Factor
13. Virtual 11

Powerslave could easily have been ranked over Killers but Killers has so much personal meaning to me that I had to be true to my initial ranking. Also Flash of the Blade has always been my favorite song off of Powerslave. Maybe the most underrated Maiden song????? :blaze:

PowerMaiden
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
fun thread :devil:

Invaders is a badass song even though the chorus is a bit a of downer, it doesn't standup for the rest of the song but still deserve a 9/10 from me.

Cheers !
Power:666:Maiden

SomewhereInTime72
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
As usual with just about anything you do, there's a few points I love and a few I hate.
You're the first person to post a list that has shared my #1 and 2 in those places, so yay for that. I also admire your higher-than-average rankings of The X-Factor and A Matter of life and Death.
But I just CAN'T believe Powerslave at #10 and Piece of Mind at #14. To even try to comprehend that Piece of Mind is worse than No Prayer For the Dying makes my brain go numb. Hell, trying to comprehend that Fear of the Dark is worse than NPFTD is difficult for me.

The only album I can imagine someone liking less than NPFTD would be VXI, and only if you really hate Blaze. (note that even if you hate Blaze, you probably still have to admit TXF is better than NPFTD) Trying to put POM there makes my head asplode.

zgodt
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Powerslave
Number of the Beast
Killers
Dance of Death
Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Somewhere in Time
A Matter of Life and Death
The X-Factor
Brave New World
Virtual XI
No Prayer for the Dying
Fear of the Dark

Indestructible
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
A lot of people love the dianno albums.

DethMaiden
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Psst...this exact thread is in General Chat.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 01:36 AM

I don't know what it is, but 'Powerslave' really bores me. It could just be that it was the last Maiden album I got, and by that point I'd heard everything Maiden are capable of. I'm not sure.

The Piece of Mind ranking is easy. It contains three of the all time worst Iron Maiden songs. Probably the three worst, if I'm brutally honest. And for that, it comes last.

JRA
08-21-2009, 05:40 AM
The Piece of Mind ranking is easy. It contains three of the all time worst Iron Maiden songs. Probably the three worst, if I'm brutally honest. And for that, it comes last.

Quest For Fire, Sun & Steel, and....?

HandOfDoom
08-21-2009, 05:55 AM
1.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2.Powerslave
3.Somewhere In Time
4.Piece of Mind
5.Number of the Beast
6.Brave New World
7.A Matter of Life and Death
8.Killers
9 Dance of Death
10.Fear of The Dark
11.Iron Maiden
13.No Prayer For The Dying

Something like that.

jhdeity
08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I love Sun & Steel and Invaders. Wow I thought this would be interesting but I had no idea people would have such widening opinions. When I see Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind at 10+ I instantly know that person is 20 years younger than me or female.... or both. :tongue:

Keep em coming. This can only get more interesting at this point.

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Quest For Fire, Sun & Steel, and....?

'The Trooper', obviously ;)

No, 'To Tame A Land'. I think it's awful.

That being said, I've remembered why I don't rate 'Powerslave' highly. There are precisely three reasons, in actual fact. 'Flash of the Blade', 'The Duelists' and especially 'Back In The Village'.

Really don't think '... Mariner' is all it's cracked up to be either. Anyone can quote a poem to music.

powerslave_85
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I think Piece of Mind is easily the weakest "Golden Era" album, despite having some classic, amazing songs.

Div
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't know what it is, but 'Powerslave' really bores me. It could just be that it was the last Maiden album I got, and by that point I'd heard everything Maiden are capable of. I'm not sure.

To Tame a Land is not one of the "all time worst" maiden songs. I can name numerous shit off Fear of the Dark that is far far worse.

jhdeity
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
To Tame a Land is not one of the "all time worst" maiden songs. I can name numerous shit off Fear of the Dark that is far far worse.

Word. Especially the title track. Possibly my least favorire Dickenson song just because it's so repetative. Revelations alone puts Piece of Mind way up there for me. What a perfect song... live and studio

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 01:39 PM
'The Trooper', obviously ;)

No, 'To Tame A Land'. I think it's awful.

That being said, I've remembered why I don't rate 'Powerslave' highly. There are precisely three reasons, in actual fact. 'Flash of the Blade', 'The Duelists' and especially 'Back In The Village'.

Really don't think '... Mariner' is all it's cracked up to be either. Anyone can quote a poem to music.

I think claiming The Trooper sucked would be less crazy than some of the other stuff you've said.

JRA
08-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I think Piece of Mind is easily the weakest "Golden Era" album, despite having some classic, amazing songs.

This more or less mirrors my opinion.

and To Tame A Land owns!

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Nah, that'd be the incredibly overrated Number of the Beast. Seriously, it contains what are quite possibly my 3 (or 3/5) least favorite songs of the entire golden era.

Div
08-21-2009, 01:45 PM
i would enjoy the trooper alot more if it wasnt so overplayed

powerslave_85
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
There isn't a song on NOTB I don't like (I have problems with the lyrics to "22 Acacia Avenue," but musically it's great). I even think "Gangland" is underrated. Seventh Son would easily be my #2 if it weren't for "Can I Play With Madness." Otherwise, that album is perfect. As for Piece of Mind, "Quest For Fire" blows, "Sun and Steel" is...okay, and "To Tame a Land" is one of their weaker epics, IMO (it suffers from "Alexander the Great" syndrome: Writing down everything that happens in a story doesn't make for good lyrics).

ravenheart
08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Can someone explain all the wanking over '... Mariner' to me? Seriously, it's fucking word for word from the poem in some places.

And 'Back In The Village' is terrible. So please give explaining that a shot too. I like to be entertained.

powerslave_85
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
"Back In the Village" rules. The main riff is insane, and I love Bruce's snarling delievery in the verses.

JRA
08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
It's also Maiden's only take on a "Hot For Teacher" rhythm. :D As for Mariner, I don't think it's so much the lyrics, as much as it is 13 minutes of musical brilliance.

Indestructible
08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Lord of light and the legacy are amazing

powerslave_85
08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Lord of light and the legacy are amazing
Agreed.

JRA
08-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Lord of light is amazing

If you haven't heard "How Many Tears" or "Blood of the Kings" I would agree>

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Can someone explain all the wanking over '... Mariner' to me? Seriously, it's fucking word for word from the poem in some places.

I don't think anyone has ever praised Rime for its greatness and cited the lyrics, that's not why people like the song. That's not why anyone likes ANY Maiden songs, at least for the most part.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you didn't see Rime live at any point? The two live performances I saw were what took the song from being more or less standard-grade (top 30 but no better) to top 5-10. The stage performance of it is just brilliant, especially the instrumental section which is already my favorite part of the song. One of my favorite Adrian solos, one of my favorite Dave solos, two of my favorite harmonized leads back to back. I've always agreed that the structure of the beginning and end of the song gets a redundant but I still think it's a fantastic song.
I also have always loved how the music of the song perfectly recreates all the imagery of the poem, from sitting out on the calm open sea at night (quiet bass part) to the crazy fucking storm that occurs with the build-up of the instrumental section. The music paints a great picture within the song.

DethMaiden
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think anyone has ever praised Rime for its greatness and cited the lyrics, that's not why people like the song. That's not why anyone likes ANY Maiden songs, at least for the most part.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you didn't see Rime live at any point? The two live performances I saw were what took the song from being more or less standard-grade (top 30 but no better) to top 5-10. The stage performance of it is just brilliant, especially the instrumental section which is already my favorite part of the song. One of my favorite Adrian solos, one of my favorite Dave solos, two of my favorite harmonized leads back to back. I've always agreed that the structure of the beginning and end of the song gets a redundant but I still think it's a fantastic song.
I also have always loved how the music of the song perfectly recreates all the imagery of the poem, from sitting out on the calm open sea at night (quiet bass part) to the crazy fucking storm that occurs with the build-up of the instrumental section. The music paints a great picture within the song.

All of this. :fist:

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
thoe im the only one on here who actually knows that lyrics play a big part in metal.

:lol: x10

This gets funnier all the time.

Indestructible
08-21-2009, 09:20 PM
:lol: x10

This gets funnier all the time.

So lyrics dont play a part in metal at all. thats what alot of you act like.

es156
08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Keep in mind I love all the albums.

1. Powerslave
4. Iron Maiden
6. Piece of Mind
7. Somewhere in Time
8. Brave New World
9. Dance of Death
10. Killers
11. The X Factor
12. Fear of the Dark
13. A Matter of Life and Death
14. Virtual XI

You can't be serious! I really thought that would be much higher on your list. What's the deal?

Div
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
i do think the slow part in the middle of rime should be shorter. otherwise, great song.

Maiden33
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
i do think the slow part in the middle of rime should be shorter. otherwise, great song.

Yeah it wouldn't have suffered at all from shaving a little off of that bit. It does make a perfect piss/drink break when playing guitar along to live After Death though. :D

ravenheart
08-22-2009, 04:32 AM
So lyrics dont play a part in metal at all. thats what alot of you act like.

No, it isn't. You missed this point 273 times in the last thread, and you're missing it again now.

We don't think lyrics are pointless in metal. We just know enough to recognise that 75% of metal lyrics (at best) are drivel, but songs can still be good songs even if that's the case.

Look at the lyrics to 'Holy Diver'. You will rarely meet a genuine metal fan who doesn't like that song, but the lyrics make less sense than a George W. speech.

ravenheart
08-22-2009, 04:34 AM
i like maiden for its greatness and lyrics. thoe im the only one on here who actually knows that lyrics play a big part in metal. rime is great

And this just proves that you bang on about lyrics so much because you don't actually know what good lyrics are. Most of Maiden's are incredibly average. Doesn't stop the songs being great.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Indestructible if I could envision you as anything in another reality, it would probably be really similar to this:

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/celebrity-pictures-wiggum-unicorn.jpg

JRA
08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Look at the lyrics to 'Holy Diver'. You will rarely meet a genuine metal fan who doesn't like that song, but the lyrics make less sense than a George W. speech.

:lol: :fist:

SirLardsAlot
08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
You can't be serious! I really thought that would be much higher on your list. What's the deal?Eh, it was okay. Most of the album was just too drawn out and I got bored. There are a few stand out tracks though (The Longest Day, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns The Legacy [well, after it picks up after the 2 minute intro]).

Indestructible
08-22-2009, 06:44 PM

There are things that make less since than gwb speech

SomewhereInTime72
08-22-2009, 06:54 PM

for example, this (http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11016)

mankvill
08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
for example, this (http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11016)

im a big kid im almost 17 and i dont know what asinine means

:)

ravenheart
08-23-2009, 04:03 AM

Well yes... like the lyrics to 'Holy Diver'... I just said that...

Div
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/76/1250481173527.jpg

b_halperin
08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Well yes... like the lyrics to 'Holy Diver'... I just said that...

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8849/746938-troll_web_copy_super.gif

ADD
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
The only Maiden I've listened to by choice (meaning not cuz someone else happened to put it on) in the past year or so have been the first 2 albums. Dunno how'd I rank their discography today. Dance Of Death certainly would not be #1 anymore though :D

SomewhereInTime72
08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
The only Maiden I've listened to by choice (meaning not cuz someone else happened to put it on) in the past year or so have been the first 2 albums. Dunno how'd I rank their discography today. Dance Of Death certainly would not be #1 anymore though :D

:eek: :eek:

Maiden33
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
The only Maiden I've listened to by choice (meaning not cuz someone else happened to put it on) in the past year or so have been the first 2 albums.

OFF THIS BOARD NOW. :mad:

:D

Whenever I eventually finish my listen to the complete discography I'll post an updated ranking. Not much should change, but I'm expecting possibly one or two things to trade places.

jhdeity
08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm listening to Somewhere in Time now. I always thought the drop off from powerslave to SIT was legendary and now I remember why. They lyrics. I personally like Maiden's lyrics on the early albums. There's some cheese in there but there are some clever line and catchy parts that really make you want to sing along. SIT is just constant storytelling over and over again like he's singing to an invalid. Deja Vu actually describes what Deja Vu is over and over again. Long Distance Runner tries to put you in the guys shoes and becomes so cornball I can't listen for longer than 2 minutes. Start to finish this album is probably worse than I thought. I never liked Heaven Can Wait and thought Stranger in a Strange Land was overrated back then and would agree with that today. Compared to Powerslave it's just too wordy and boring to me. I love the 1st 2 songs but everything else is filler to me. Am I missing something?

As in my choices it's obvious some people are married to the albums they grew up with or the 1st Maiden album they ever heard. The only way SIT could be rated over any of the classics is if the listener simply doesn't care about lyrics and that's fine. I'll just never understand that personally. Give me Revelations anyday and I'll sing along word for word like it was 1985 again...

UnleashTheWolves
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Hard to rank all the Iron Maiden albums. I just know that they are all really great in every way. Some albums could be a little better but they are still better than alot of other music.:horns:

ravenheart
08-27-2009, 12:33 AM
The only way SIT could be rated over any of the classics is if the listener simply doesn't care about lyrics and that's fine

Good of you to let me know. Now I understand why I like that album so much more than the complete drivel that drags 'Piece of Mind' and 'Powerslave' down :tp:

jhdeity
08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Good of you to let me know. Now I understand why I like that album so much more than the complete drivel that drags 'Piece of Mind' and 'Powerslave' down :tp:

exactly. if you need Bruce to explain what Deja Vu is to you then you obviously rode the short bus to school. hahahaha

Example A: :hecho:

When you see familiar faces
But you don't remember where they're from
Could you be wrong?

When you've been particular places
That you know you've never been before
Can you be sure?

'Cause you know this has happened before
And you know that this moment in time is for real
And you know when you feel deja-vu

Example B: :light:

The light of the blind youll see
The venom that tears my spine
The eyes of the nile are opening - youll see

Bind all of us together
Ablaze of hope and free
No storm or heavy weather
Will rock the boat youll see
The time has come to close your eyes
And still the wind and rain
For the one who will be king
The watcher in the ring
It is you

I rest my case. One lyric is full of mental imagery that can actually transport you and the other thinks you ahve an IQ of 73. Do the math...

Maiden33
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Hmmm, not sure whether or not I feel like getting involved here.

Either way, someone needs to call Indestructable though, since it's apparently lyric-discussion time.

UnleashTheWolves
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
exactly. if you need Bruce to explain what Deja Vu is to you then you obviously rode the short bus to school. hahahaha

Example A: :hecho:

When you see familiar faces
But you don't remember where they're from
Could you be wrong?

When you've been particular places
That you know you've never been before
Can you be sure?

'Cause you know this has happened before
And you know that this moment in time is for real
And you know when you feel deja-vu

Example B: :light:

The light of the blind youll see
The venom that tears my spine
The eyes of the nile are opening - youll see

Bind all of us together
Ablaze of hope and free
No storm or heavy weather
Will rock the boat youll see
The time has come to close your eyes
And still the wind and rain
For the one who will be king
The watcher in the ring
It is you

I rest my case. One lyric is full of mental imagery that can actually transport you and the other thinks you ahve an IQ of 73. Do the math...

I think both lyrics are fine. The only Maiden song ive heard that have bad lyrics is Holy Smoke. The lyrics are kind of funny. The music is good.

DethMaiden
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Either way, someone needs to call Indestructable though, since it's apparently lyric-discussion time.

:lol: :fist:

ravenheart
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
then you obviously rode the short bus to school.

I don't know what that means.

Div
08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't know what that means.

it means you're retarded. in the US mentally handicapped kids often ride to school on separate school buses, and due to the overall population of them being quite small the school uses a smaller bus to transport them.

ADD
08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
My favorite Maiden lyrics:

Thinking of an age old dream, places I've never seen
Fantasies lived times before, split brain melts through the floor
Over clouds my mind will fly, forever now I can't think why
My body tries to leave my soul, or is it me I just don't know
Memories rising from the past, the futures shadow overcast
Something's clutching at my head, through the darkness I'll be led

Oh, another time, another place
Oh, another smile on another face
When you see me floating up beside you
You get the feeling that all my love's inside of you

Please, take me away, take me away, so far away

Second place:

The only place where you can dream, living here is not what it seems
Ship of white, a light in the sky, nobody there to reason why
Here I am, I'm not really there, smiling faces ever so rare
Let's walk, in deepest space, living here just isn't the place

Stalks of light, come from the ground, when I cry there isn't a sound
All my feelings cannot be held, I'm happy in my new strange world
Shades of green grasses twine, girls drinking plasma wine
A look at love, a dream unfolds, living here, you'll never grow old

Indestructible
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM

you called for me

Indestructible
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM
My favorite Maiden lyrics:

Thinking of an age old dream, places I've never seen
Fantasies lived times before, split brain melts through the floor
Over clouds my mind will fly, forever now I can't think why
My body tries to leave my soul, or is it me I just don't know
Memories rising from the past, the futures shadow overcast
Something's clutching at my head, through the darkness I'll be led

Oh, another time, another place
Oh, another smile on another face
When you see me floating up beside you
You get the feeling that all my love's inside of you

Second place:

The only place where you can dream, living here is not what it seems
Ship of white, a light in the sky, nobody there to reason why
Here I am, I'm not really there, smiling faces ever so rare
Let's walk, in deepest space, living here just isn't the place

Stalks of light, come from the ground, when I cry there isn't a sound
All my feelings cannot be held, I'm happy in my new strange world
Shades of green grasses twine, girls drinking plasma wine
A look at love, a dream unfolds, living here, you'll never grow old

i should know these songs but i cant figure it out.

IrritatedTrout
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Purgatory and Strange World.

ravenheart
08-27-2009, 11:51 PM
it means you're retarded. in the US mentally handicapped kids often ride to school on separate school buses, and due to the overall population of them being quite small the school uses a smaller bus to transport them.

Gotcha. We just don't have school buses, so there's no divide.

Plus, most of our population seems be increasingly retarded ;)

mankvill
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM
mi fav maiden lyrix

livin on a razers edge
balancing on a ledge
livin on a rzarerz edge
balancn on a ledge
abalenacin on a ledg
livin on a razor edge
balancin on a sledl
u no
U NO

DA EVIL DAT MEN DO

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I generally feel most of Maiden's better lyrics come from the reunion albums, not the classic albums. That probably has to do with Bruce writing more of the lyrics than Steve on the last few albums.

ADD
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
I generally feel most of Maiden's better lyrics come from the reunion albums, not the classic albums. That probably has to do with Bruce writing more of the lyrics than Steve on the last few albums.

No way. Way I see it 99.9% of artists write their most creative and original material within the first few years they become proficient at their instrument, same thing in the case of lyric writing/poetry. After awhile the proverbial well of creativity or whatever runs dry, thats just how it is. Obviously theres no limit to the amount of great music some one or a band as a collective can create, and Maiden are in many ways an exception to the norm since 14 albums in they're still creatively vital (even if it is admittedly variations on a comfortable style for the past 20+ years). Steve Harris, brilliant a songwriter as he is, is no exception. The most interesting stuff he wrote can be found on the first 5 albums. After that I attribute most of their success to the writing of Bruce and Adrian. I'm not one to ascribe to the "the old stuff is always better" mentality, but thats kind of how it is with music. You say what you need to say, and if you have success you keep going, but I have yet to discover any band whose best music came more than a decade after their inception.

ravenheart
08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I have yet to discover any band whose best music came more than a decade after their inception.

W.A.S.P., Motorhead, KISS, Alice Cooper, Europe, Rage, Destuction, Grave Digger, UFO, Paradise Lost.

I'm sure I could come up with others. All better now than they were when they started, and all started more than 10 years ago.

ravenheart
08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I generally feel most of Maiden's better lyrics come from the reunion albums

Agree 100%.

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
W.A.S.P., Motorhead, KISS, Alice Cooper, Europe, Rage, Destuction, Grave Digger, UFO, Paradise Lost.

I'm sure I could come up with others. All better now than they were when they started, and all started more than 10 years ago.

You forgot Saxon, who put out what I consider their best album 25 years into their career.

ADD
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM

In my opinion I don't like these bands: WASP, KISS, Alice Cooper (truth be told I need to get into their 70's shit though I hear it's rad), Europe, Rage, Grave Digger, Paradise Lost. As for Destruction, ok :lol: :eyes: Motorhead are the other band I can think of besides Maiden who have been as consistent throughout their career, and though Motorizer was pretty lame and the one before that wasn't so hot either, Inferno is a straight up monster album on par with anything they've done.

ADD
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
You forgot Saxon, who put out what I consider their best album 25 years into their career.
Oh good call, if you're talkin bout Lionheart :cool: Definitely their best studio album that I've heard at least. Their stuff since then or just before hasn't been nearly as good though.

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
No way. Way I see it 99.9% of artists write their most creative and original material within the first few years they become proficient at their instrument, same thing in the case of lyric writing/poetry. After awhile the proverbial well of creativity or whatever runs dry, thats just how it is. Obviously theres no limit to the amount of great music some one or a band as a collective can create, and Maiden are in many ways an exception to the norm since 14 albums in they're still creatively vital (even if it is admittedly variations on a comfortable style for the past 20+ years). Steve Harris, brilliant a songwriter as he is, is no exception. The most interesting stuff he wrote can be found on the first 5 albums. After that I attribute most of their success to the writing of Bruce and Adrian. I'm not one to ascribe to the "the old stuff is always better" mentality, but thats kind of how it is with music. You say what you need to say, and if you have success you keep going, but I have yet to discover any band whose best music came more than a decade after their inception.

I don't buy this. I definitely know there are no shortage of cases for you to use to back this up, and I won't deny there is some good footing to your logic, I just don't agree with it. I think anyone is capable of experiencing their creative zenith at any point in their own career, and that's that.

When it comes to Maiden, I still stick with what I said. I do generally find their better lyrics to be on the reunion albums and not the classic albums. As I said, I somewhat attribute this to Bruce handling more lyrics than Steve, as I have always found Bruce to be a better lyricist. And as far as music goes, a half-dozen of my top 20 Maiden songs came out post-Seventh Son.

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh good call, if you're talkin bout Lionheart :cool: Definitely their best studio album that I've heard at least. Their stuff since then or just before hasn't been nearly as good though.

I am, it's my favorite studio album as well. The other recent albums have been quality releases, but not up to par with that. I like Unleash the Beast a ton though.

ADD
08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't buy this. I definitely know there are no shortage of cases for you to use to back this up, and I won't deny there is some good footing to your logic, I just don't agree with it. I think anyone is capable of experiencing their creative zenith at any point in their own career, and that's that.

When it comes to Maiden, I still stick with what I said. I do generally find their better lyrics to be on the reunion albums and not the classic albums. As I said, I somewhat attribute this to Bruce handling more lyrics than Steve, as I have always found Bruce to be a better lyricist. And as far as music goes, a half-dozen of my top 20 Maiden songs came out post-Seventh Son.
These differences just boil down to taste, cool. The objective part is that the first 7 albums, or the "classic albums", demonstrate the full breadth and peak of Maiden's creativity in terms of composition. They simply don't arrange songs in the manner of "Innocent Exile" or "22 Acacia Avenue" or "Revelations" anymore, I hope we can agree. Post-Seventh Son I think if one were to map out each individual song so it would look in terms of 'Theme A', variation on 'Theme A', 'Theme B', etc, you would see many patterns and few deviations from those patterns. That doesn't make the music inferior in any way, the 'parts' are still good, but in my opinion it does make the music less interesting.

TonyD
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
KISS, Alice Cooper, UFO

:lol:

ADD
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Shit I forgot UFO, major lolz on that one too.

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
UFO

I'll go with you on this. I think the band have some fantastic and incredibly underrated material put out a good while into their career (Walk on Water, You are Here), and I think Vinnie Moore is an incredible player and Phil Mogg sounds unreal these days considering his age. I saw them in '04 and it was an amazing show, really been meaning to see them again.

TonyD
08-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Without the Schenk they're a shell of a band.

Maiden33
08-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Without the Schenk they're a shell of a band.

In terms of technical ability, Vinnie Moore shits on Michael Schenker. I'm not going to contest the quality of the records from any period of their career, but I'm sick of this "All UFO guitarists that are Schenker suck" garbage. Paul Chapman was great and Vinnie Moore is phenomenal. And on the plus side, neither of them goes totally fucking mental from time to time.

ADD
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
In terms of technical ability, Vinnie Moore shits on Michael Schenker. I'm not going to contest the quality of the records from any period of their career, but I'm sick of this "All UFO guitarists that are Schenker suck" garbage. Paul Chapman was great and Vinnie Moore is phenomenal. And on the plus side, neither of them goes totally fucking mental from time to time.
None of them played on Phenomenon though.

Dextrimental
08-29-2009, 06:33 PM
1. Powerslave
2. Fear of the Dark
3. Brave New World
4. Number of the Beast
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
6. Killers
7. Dance of Death
8. Iron Maiden
9. Piece of Mind
10. No Prayer for the Dying
11. A Matter of Life and Death
12. Virtual IX
13. Somewhere in Time
14. X Factor

mankvill
08-29-2009, 06:53 PM
2. Fear of the Dark

13. Somewhere in Time

wat

PowerMaiden
08-29-2009, 06:56 PM
yeah funny list hehehe

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dextrimental
08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
My opinion :) Fear of the dark is one of my favorite albums by them, behind powerslave, and somewhere in time jus didnt impress me as much as the others. Laugh if u will, but its my opinion and i aint changin it :D

Maiden33
08-29-2009, 11:53 PM
13. Somewhere in Time

My brain has ruptured trying to process this information. You have my favorite album of all-time ranked as Maiden's 2nd-worst, below at least one album that I consider out-and-out crap, not just by the standards of my favorite band, but in general.

Dextrimental
08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
My brain has ruptured trying to process this information. You have my favorite album of all-time ranked as Maiden's 2nd-worst, below at least one album that I consider out-and-out crap, not just by the standards of my favorite band, but in general.

Its just my opinion. If im honest, iv not listened to somewhere in time as much as the others, an its so low on the list because of that. When i did listen to it didn't strike me as much as some of the others. And some of them are higher for personal reasons, as songs from them helped me through some tough shit as a kid. And even tho, in terms of maidens legacy and song-writing somewhere in time, amongst others, may be higher in the list, for me the top half anyway are there because of them helpin me through some tough times. My top five are my favorites tho :)

ravenheart
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
12. Virtual IX
14. X Factor

ravenheart
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Indeed. UFO are excellent with Moore. Great albums, and great live.

ravenheart
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Good shout. Lionheart, Unleash The Beast, Metalhead and Killing Ground destroy everything before them.

ravenheart
08-30-2009, 07:09 PM
As for Destruction, ok :lol:

Not funny. Painfully one-dimensional at the beginning, now varied, heavier and better songs.

The_jman
08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
sad to say, this question has consumed me all day and I'm still not happy with my list. Most will probably disagree with my choices, but I just have to say... I like fear of the dark.

1. Number of the beast
2. Brave new world
3. Fear of the dark
4. dance of death
5. A matter of life and death
6. Peace of mind
7. powerslave
8. Somewhere in time
9. Iron Maiden
10. Seventh son of a seventh son
11. Virtual XI (*)
12. The X factor (**)
13. No prayer for the dying
14. killers (***)
(*) I love the song the clansman, this is the sole reason it ranked higher than the other bottom albums
(**) I've actually heard none of the album, but from what I've heard it is better than npftd
(***): I've never heard any of this one either, and I'm not a huge fan of Dianno (sp) anyway, and I thought at least npftd had Bruce singing, thus Killers ended up last.

I know my opinions differ from others and that's ok, like I said certain albums got their ranking because I like a particular track a ton I.E. Fear of the dark is so high on my list because Fear of the dark is probably in my top 5 maiden songs.

on another note, I enjoy the songs from iron maiden much more when sung live by Bruce, this album might even be ranked higher if there was a version with Bruce singing. That being said I respect Paul, I just don't prefer his voice over Bruce.

I did not include live albums, but I'm inclined to say if I did, that rock in Rio might be my favorite maiden album.

JRA
09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
So Jeff Boobies, seeing as you've recently re-listened to all the albums, can you give us your revised album ranking?

Maiden33
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
So Jeff Boobies, seeing as you've recently re-listened to all the albums, can you give us your revised album ranking?

Yeah, following the complete discography listen, my album list would probably look more like this:

01.Somewhere In Time
02.Brave New World
03.Powerslave
04.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
05.Piece of Mind
06.A Matter of life and Death
07.Dance of Death
08.The X Factor
09.Number of the Beast
10.Fear of the Dark
11.Killers
12.Virtual XI
13.Iron Maiden

Indestructible
08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
1. Brave New World
2. Piece of Mind
4. Somewhere in Time
5. The Number of the Beast
6. A Matter of Life and Death
7. Dance of Death
8. The Final Frontier
9. Powerslave
10. No Prayer for the Dying
11. Fear of the Dark
12. The X Factor
13. Virtual XI
14. Iron Maiden
15. Killers

NickLed19
08-26-2011, 01:30 PM
1.Powerslave
2.Somewhere In Time
3.Piece of Mind
4.NOTB
5.Brave New World
6.Iron Maiden
7.Killers
8.Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
9.Dance of Death
10.The Final Frontier
11.Fear of the Dark
12.No Prayer For The Dying
13.A Matter of Life and Death
14.The X Factor
15.Virtual XI

powerslave_85
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm doing mine again, since I need to add Final Frontier anyways.

1. Powerslave
2. Number of the Beast
3. Somewhere In Time
4. Brave New World
7. The Final Frontier
8. Dance of Death
9. Piece of Mind
10. Iron Maiden
11. The X Factor
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Killers
14. Virtual XI
15. No Prayer For the Dying

JRA
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm doing mine again, since I need to add Final Frontier anyways.

1. Powerslave
2. Number of the Beast
3. Somewhere In Time
4. Brave New World
7. The Final Frontier
8. Dance of Death
9. Piece of Mind
10. Iron Maiden
11. The X Factor
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Killers
14. Virtual XI
15. No Prayer For the Dying

The fact that the Paul albums are so low blow my mind. Especially because of the misguided perception that those albums have a "punk" energy to then.

powerslave_85
08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
If I want "punk energy," I'll listen to punk. The s/t is a perfectly good album; there aren't any songs I don't like. There's just a bunch of albums I like more. Killers has a lot of filler IMO, and "Drifter" is one of my least favorite Maiden songs. Don't get me wrong: the title track, "Murders," and "Purgatory" are all among my favorite Paul era songs. It's just the rest is a bit unspectacular. It's also my favorite Eddie/cover, but that's neither here nor there.

ravenheart
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
The fact that the Paul albums are so low blow my mind. Especially because of the misguided perception that those albums have a "punk" energy to then.

I rate them low too. And it's nothing to do with anything approaching a "punk" sound, and everything to do with both of them containing too many songs which are inferior to the songs on other albums.

Epidemic Reign
08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Powerslave
The Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Somewhere in Time

First two albums don't really mesh well with the Dickinson stuff IMO. They're good, but it's hard to compare one era to the other. And I haven't heard a lot of stuff after Seventh Son or at least haven't listened to it very much, so that's why my list is so short.

HackedUpForBBQ
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
1. Fear of the Dark
3. Iron Maiden
4. Killers
5. The Number of the Beast
6. Powerslave
7. Piece of Mind
8. Somewhere in Time
9. No Prayer For The Dying
10. Dance of Death