PDA

View Full Version : Year-end list toppers from years past: still #1?

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been making year-end lists on the IMBB and on here since 2004, so I decided to remember what I had at #1 each year and see if that's still true. I'm curious to see everyone else's, because I know most of us have been posting our lists to the internet for at least that long:

2004:
Then: Iced Earth- The Glorious Burden
Now: Mastodon- Leviathan

Leviathan was only my #2 when I made this list because I had only been into metal for a little over a year and was still pretty much steeped in the traditional stuff. Mastodon challenged some boundaries and I wasn't as comfortable with that as I was with Iced Earth, so Mastodon have certainly eclipsed them since.

2005:
Then: Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Now: Opeth- Ghost Reveries

Yeah, I'll stand behind this one. This one still has a special place as my first Opeth album, of course, which might be part of this, but it's a really great disc.

2006:
Then: Mastodon- Blood Mountain
Now: Mastodon- Blood Mountain/The Decemberists- The Crane Wife

I think Blood Mountain is still very, very close to dominating this year, but I'd argue that this Decemberists record is the best indie rock record ever made, and has a favorite all-time song of mine, "The Island", which doesn't hurt. Cop-out, but whatever.

2007:
Then: Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet
Now: Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet/Tegan and Sara- The Con

Another cop-out. Best prog album since the 1970s and best pop album (and second-best indie record) ever. Can't really choose.

2008:
Then: Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes
Now: Fleet Foxes- Fleet Foxes/Cynic- Traced in Air

Goddammit I've made this exercise useless with all these ties, but Cynic's grew on me. It doesn't mean as much to me as the Fleet Foxes, but it's certainly one of the better progressive metal albums I've ever heard.

powerslave_85
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I've only done it since 2005, but here goes:

2005:
Then: Sleater-Kinney- The Woods
Now: Same, and none of my number ones since have even come close.

2006:
Then: Mastodon- Blood Mountain
Now: Probably Converge- No Heroes. It was my #2 in a very close call, and since then it's gotten a lot more spins than Mastodon.

2007:
Then: Tegan and Sara- The Con
Now: Probably the same, but Pig Destroyer's Phantom Limb came out too, so it's another really close call.

2008:
Then: Dillinger Four- C I V I L W A R
Now: Same

I'm glad I didn't do one in 2004. Mastodon's Leviathan, Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer and Converge's You Fail Me all came out that year. Completely impossible to choose.

ADD
08-17-2009, 05:10 PM
I doubt it. Can't remember my top ones from any older than '08 but I know my favorite album released last year I didn't even hear until this year (Annihilation Time- Tales of the Ancient Age)

Maiden33
08-17-2009, 05:43 PM
2004:
Then: Edguy - Hellfire Club
Now: Edguy - Hellfire Club

2005:
Then: Allen/Lande - The Battle
Now: Really difficult to say, 2005 had about 8 albums I consider amazing. I'd probably go with Masterplan - Aeronautics instead.

2006:
Then: Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
Now: Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
It was a huge event for me to rank this above A Matter of Life and Death at the time, but in hindsight it should've been an easier decision.

2007:
Then: Masterplan - MKII
Now: Either Redemption - The Origins of Ruin or Vanishing Point - The Fourth Season. Hell, Cornerstone's Two Tales of One Tomorrow and Circus Maximus - Isolate are right up there at this point. This was a pretty fucked up year with no really amazing album to steal the title.

2008:
Then: Royal Hunt - Collision Course: Paradox II
Now: Probably the same album. Pyramaze's Immortal finished 2nd and is still just as close, but Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls came out of nowhere a couple months ago and is on par with these 2 easily.

Indestructible
08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
i can remember back to 05

nevermore - this godless eneavor

06-
iron maiden - a matter of life and death

rush-snakes and =arrows

metallica - death magnetic

dream theater - black clouds and silver linings

Maiden33
08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
dream theater - black clouds and silver linings

It's August 17th. I don't know about you but the remaining 20-ish weeks of this year could hold a lot of great albums. I would never settle on album of the year now, not to mention that wasn't really the point of this thread.

TonyD
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
The only ones I voted in were 7 and 8
I voted for Machine Head, today the top of my order would look like
Red Album
Era Vulgaris
Death is this Communion
The Blackening

Meshuggah was my #1 vote in 2008, which hasn't changed but I would move Cynic up quite a bit from #9.

IrritatedTrout
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
2005:
Then: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Now: Kamelot - The Black Halo

Tough one but TBH probably edges out AOR (mostly because of Lochness:hecho:)

2006:
Then: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Now: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

Hands fuckin down. Greatest album ever recorded.:light: Although Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain and Mastodon - Blood Mountain are both amazing as well.

2007:
Then: Megadeth - United Abominations
Now: Kamelot - Ghost Opera

2007 was one of my favorite years though, Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao, Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon, Candlemass - KotGI, Darkthrone - FOAD, and Helloween - Gambling with the Devil were all great too.

2008:
Then: Ayreon - 01011001
Now: Ayreon - 01011001

Although honorable mentions go to Agalloch - The White, Avantasia - The Scarecrow, Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus, and Motorhead - Motorizer.

As far as 2009 goes I have been thoroughly dissapointed, I havn't really been crazy about any albums besides Crack the Skye. The Devil You Know was a big dissapointment for me. Bible Black is up there with the classic songs IMO but other than that the album is a bit on the average side. I just don't like how doomy a lot of the stuff (Breaking into Heaven, Atom & Evil, Follow the Tears) is. IMO Dio and doom don't mix. Almost sounds like Tony wrote some of the riffs for Ozzy or something.

Indestructible
08-18-2009, 07:28 AM
It's August 17th. I don't know about you but the remaining 20-ish weeks of this year could hold a lot of great albums. I would never settle on album of the year now, not to mention that wasn't really the point of this thread.

there are alot of great bands coming out with new albums this year but i think i can settle on this one.

jhdeity
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow. Interesting thread to say the least. Lots of diversity and only 1 truly head scratching moment. A Matter of Life and Death the best album ever? It isn't even in my top 5 Maiden albums let alone all-time status.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain in 06, Machine Head - The Blackening in 07, Meshuggah - Obzen in 08 and Lamb of God in 09 are all worlds better than that album to me but that's what makes this site fun I guess.

I'm listening to Children of the Damned right now and think it's one of the best vocals I've ever heard. I would certainly rate Number of the Beast my favorite Maiden album and definitely the best artwork of all time. Do other people think that album is better than the classics like Piece of Mind and NOTB?

TonyD
08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Meshuggah - Obzen in 08

It would have made the list if you had voted :hecho:

jhdeity
08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah I didn't venture into the forums until a few months ago. Will be voting this year. Jamming Fake Messiah now which is still my favorite song of 09 so far. Combustion was Top 3 for 08

PowerMaiden
08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm listening to Children of the Damned right now and think it's one of the best vocals I've ever heard. I would certainly rate Number of the Beast my favorite Maiden album and definitely the best artwork of all time. Do other people think that album is better than the classics like Piece of Mind and NOTB?

It's a fucking amazing record, considering their age and their past achievement, they had nothing to proove to anyone and they still go out and creates classic album like that. I mean come on , a bunch of 50 years old still firing from all cylinders like that. AMOLAD is a fucking masterpiece to me nothing less, but you're right they have done better, and only because they are Iron Fucking Maiden, this album done by any other band would be that band best album, but coming from Maiden you have a handfull of record better than this.

Here is my ranking of Maiden albums:

1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
4. Brave New World
5. A Matter Of Life & Death
6. Powerslave
7. Somewhere In Time
8. Iron Maiden
9. Dance Of Death
10. Killers
11. The X Factor
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Virtual 11
14. No Prayer For The Dying

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

TonyD
08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
8. Iron Maiden
10. Killers

:hecho:

PowerMaiden
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
:hecho:

is that good or bad ? hehehe

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

TonyD
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
is that good or bad ? hehehe

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Depends who you're asking. Also I would assume Powerslave at #6 goes against popular opinion.

Yeah I didn't venture into the forums until a few months ago. Will be voting this year. Jamming Fake Messiah now which is still my favorite song of 09 so far. Combustion was Top 3 for 08

wat
I didn't even keep that on my hard drive. I only like about half of the songs on the album and I think that Reclamation is by far the best track.
You must really like those fast 1-2-3-4 tracks because the intros are similar. I think Combustion is a great song, even though a lot of the Meshuggah people hate it because there is no polyrhythm involved :lol:

jhdeity
08-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Yeah I'm old school and have the older albums 1st. I'm surprised Killers isn't getting it's proper due though. Steve Harris is a monster on that album. Here's how I would rank my Maiden albums:

1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Killers
4. Powerslave
5. Iron Maiden
6. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
7. A Matter Of Life & Death
8. Somewhere In Time
9. Brave New World
10. Dance Of Death
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. The X Factor
13. Virtual 11
14. No Prayer For The Dying

I also think Live after Death is one of the 5 best live albums ever made and would rank it 3rd. Maiden Japan would be 8th even as an EP

"You must really like those fast 1-2-3-4 tracks because the intros are similar. I think Combustion is a great song, even though a lot of the Meshuggah people hate it because there is no polyrhythm involved"

Word. Last time I saw Meshuggah they played my 3 favorite songs in succession. NMCC, Suffer in Truth & Combustion. That must have been the anti-poly-morph-rhythm section of the show. hahaha

mastodon421
08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
The past couple years it has stayed the same for most past

Then Mastodon Blood Mountain
Now Mastodon Blood Mountain

Then Down: Down 3 Over The Under
Now:Between The Buried and Me-Colors

Then-Slipknot-All Hope Is Gone
Now-Slipknot-All Hope Is Gone

I actually still i have all my top 20's from the past couple years and i was having a chuckle at my 06 i ranked Bleeding Through's The Truth at number 4 for that year. What the fuck was i thinking:confused:

Maiden33
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I've noticed that the two most widely-held Maiden beliefs is that No Prayer For the Dying is easily one of the bottom 2, and that Powerslave is one of their best. Not to say everyone thinks that, I just found that it's probably close to the only 2 Maiden album rankings/statements that the majority of fans will agree on.
But enough about this. I'd love to post my own Maiden album ranking, but I advise the next person who wants to do so to post a separate thread for it, so this one doesn't become further over-run.

Natrlhi
08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Obzen in 08
:party::rocker::party:

This was my pick last year as well, but this thread finally gives me an opportunity to say out loud that there are many days which have gone by since I finalized my 2008 list, that I consider that maybe I should have switched my #1 and #2 picks.

My #2 last year was Burst's phenomenal "Lazarus Bird" album, and if you haven't heard it, you should - especially for all fans of Mastodon (I think there are many similarities between these two bands, personally). It turns out that this may be Burst's swansong, as they have recently announced that they are breaking up (may not be permanent, as many of these are not, but still it is bad news). The silver lining is that they will finally be touring the U.S. in the fall, and I hope to see them in Detroit (second last show of the tour) before they are no more.

Anyway, cool thread DethMaiden. I've been looking to air that opinion out there for a while now - and you provided the opportunity. :D

Nat :horns:

illuminatus917
10-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Thread dig up.

:D

This was a good thread before it was derailed by the Maiden fanatics.

So, I'll give it a go. The first year I sat down and did an EOY list was 2009, so I'll start there.

2009:
Then: Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
Now: Cormorant - Metazoa

The last half of that Mumford & Sons record is still powerfully honest and emotional, and one of the best records of that year, but I can't in good conscience rank it above Metazoa, which might be the best melodic death metal album I've heard.

2010:
Then: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Now: Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

This was the year my top 5 was so conflicted. A lot of time was spent in subsequent years reevaluating and rearranging albums. To this day, I still haven't a list from 2010 I'm completely satisfied with. Four albums: Agalloch's, Triptykon's, Alcest's, and Arcade Fire's have all at times been at the #1 spot, as I think they're all completely deserving of that spot. Though of those four, Agalloch's has had the least lasting impact. So if I rewrote the list, it would be the least likely of those albums to be #1.

2011:
Then: The Seven Mile Journey - Notes For the Synthesis
Now: The Seven Mile Journey - Notes For the Synthesis

Still the best 'post-early 2000s GY!BE & ASMZ era' post-rock (full length) album.

2012:
Then: Ahab - The Giant
Now: Ahab - The Giant

Simply a giant of an album. Molded out of funeral doom metal and post-rock (to some degree I think), this album is the embodiment of everything I love about music. In every way more accessible and more listenable than their first two albums, less dense and claustrophobic, more sensitive and resonant, The Giant is the most accomplished and complete Ahab album to date.

adamclark52
10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I've been doing this since 1997 but some have been lost to time (and drugs and alcohol...and my old laptop frying). But I usually discover a lot for from a year in the years that follow.

Then: Faith No More – Album of the Year
Now: Ocean Machine - Biomech

Then: Fear Factory - Obsolete
Now: Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of the Nephren-Ka

Then: (probably) Mr. Bungle - California
Now: the Melvins – the Maggot

Then: (probably) Devin Townsend - Physicist
Now: A Silver Mt. Zion – He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Out Rooms

Then: Tool - Lateralus
Now: same

Then: Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Yanqui U.X.O.

Then: Type O Negative – Life is Killing Me
Now: Blut Aus Nord – the Work Which Transforms God

Then: Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
Now: Silver Mountain Reveries, thee – Pretty Little Lightning Paw

Then: Sigur Ros – Takk…

Then: Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
Now: Enslaved - Ruun

Then: (probably) Rotting Christ – Theogonia
Now: Nadja - Touched

Then: can’t remember
Now: Pig Destroyer - Natasha

Then: (probably) Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Now: Anaal Nathrakh – In the Constellation of the Black Widow

Then: Triptykon – Eparistera Daimones
Now: Nails - Unslient Death

Then: Machine Head – Unto the Locust
Now: Inquisition – Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm

Then: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!

Natrlhi
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I've only been keeping official lists since 2008, and I wouldn't change any of mine except for possibly that year, as noted at the end of the previous page of this thread (swapping Burst - Lazarus Bird for Meshuggah - obZen).

My others were:

2009: Cobalt - Gin
2010: High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
2011: SubRosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones
2012: You'll have to read my year-end thread - which might be finished in December or so of this year - to find out :lol:

adamclark52
10-08-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm just always behind on music. And my tastes do change. In 1998 I probably hadn't heard of Nile and I remember not thinking they were that great in 1999 when my friend bought that album. It wasn't until 2007 that I finally "got" that album. The rest of the changes were just because I never heard those albums until way after they were released. Blut Aus Nord I never heard until early 2011. I can't say what I would've thought about them in 2003. I probably wouldn't have liked it. But maybe I would have. I still really like all those older album of the years but I just found something better, sometimes ten years later.

illuminatus917
10-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I really wish I had been introduced to post-rock at the beginning of high school instead of at the end of high school. I spent entirely too much time during those years listening to metal at the exclusion of everything else, and in hindsight I'm pretty sure if I'd been introduced to different types of music earlier my branching out period would have come much earlier. I don't think I would have been dismissive, I simply lacked exposure.

For that reason I don't resent not starting writing out EOY lists earlier, because looking back on them now there would be a ton of discordance. As it stands, I have very little discordance between then and now, which I partially view as consistency and even "success," but I also attribute it somewhat to the fact that I don't devote large amounts of time to listening to music from years past that never made it to an EOY list. I revisit favorites frequently, but rarely try to discover music of the past. I'm okay with this for two reasons:
1) I don't have the time to find and listen to as much new music as I'd like to, much less the time to find music from preceding years.
2) I genuinely believe the landscape of music is as lush now, in the present, as it's ever been.