PDA

View Full Version : I am a miserable consumer

JRA
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I feel like a day in my life hasn't been lived to the fullest without me buying a book, an album, or a video game. This isn't a plea to you guys to help me curve my spending. On the contrary, I manage to keep my budget quite under control. The problem with me is, I feel like some sort of virus where if something isn't in my entertainment portfolio, I have to buy it or obtain it, and I'll fucking obsess over it like crazy. It drives me nuts!

One of the "problems" with spending my money wisely is when I have choices. GODDAMIT I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE CHOICES! Because when I finally decide to buy something, I'll spend the entire time wondering what it would have been like to get the other choice. But the worst thing, is when I get the product home, I think "oh crap, now I have to actually, listen/read/play this." Sometimes I'll go a full 2 or 3 days without trying out what I bought, just cos I can't fit it into my schedule, but shit, what's the point of buying new toys if you aren't going to play with them?

Div
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Quick everyone! He's revealed his weakness, post a bunch of shit in this thread and hype it up so he buys it!

Maiden33
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.necromancetheband.com

There, order a copy of our CD.

ravenheart
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Meh, I just buy shit as and when the price is right. If it's months before I listen/watch/read it, who cares? It ain't going anywhere.

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I've found that I spend more if I have cash. I'm paranoid about my bank account and my credit card, so I'll rarely use plastic to buy music, but when I was in Columbus last week, I bought 5 CDs with cash, all new, all full price. And then I realized if I didn't have cash that temptation wouldn't have existed.

ravenheart
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
all full price

This is that part of that story that's wrong.

I buy 99% of my music and DVDs online way below full price.

powerslave_85
08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Newsflash: You're still spending money whether you're using cash or a card.

I've actually gotten better about buying albums, especially off iTunes. That mostly comes from the fact that I can't use Soulseek anymore now that I have a Mac.

DethMaiden
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Newsflash: You're still spending money whether you're using cash or a card.

Oh, I know this. That's why my consumption changing depending on what I'm carrying is completely irrational. Maybe now that I've pinpointed it I can stop it. :D

powerslave_85
08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
That said, I hate cash and only use it if necessary. If I lose a card, no big deal, I can just call and cancel it. Once cash is gone, it's gone.

rjturtle9
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
you should see Dr. Phil

Natrlhi
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll fucking obsess over it like crazy.

It drives me nuts!

GODDAMIT I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE CHOICES!

I'll spend the entire time wondering what it would have been like to get the other choice.

I think "oh crap, now I have to actually, listen/read/play this."

Sometimes I'll go a full 2 or 3 days without trying out what I bought, just cos I can't fit it into my schedule

Dude, I think you might just have some mild OCD. :D

Go get a prescription for Celexa or some other mild anti-anxiety / anti-depression medication, and sit back and make fun of yourself (but only lightly so) for all of your "silly" obsessive thoughts. In other words, accept that you're just a little crazy, embrace it and roll with it. That what I do, and it works for me! :metal:

Nat :horns:

SomewhereInTime72
08-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I actually have a pretty big case of OCD, but I'm terrified of doing anything about it because I don't think I'd know what to do with myself if I weren't following some sort of arbitrary self-made guideline.:eyes:

DethMaiden
08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I actually have a pretty big case of OCD, but I'm terrified of doing anything about it because I don't think I'd know what to do with myself if I weren't following some sort of arbitrary self-made guideline.:eyes:

:fist: Word.

ADD
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
:stoned: cured my OCD. Or at least greatly tamed it.

Natrlhi
08-27-2009, 05:39 AM
:stoned: cured my OCD. Or at least greatly tamed it.

Maybe so, but my prescription plan covers the drugs I take - can you say the same? :D
(Plus, I can even pay the deductible with tax-free dollars through my medical savings account.)

Your solution might be slightly more fun, tho... ;)

ChildrenofSodom
08-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe so, but my prescription plan covers the drugs I take - can you say the same? :D
(Plus, I can even pay the deductible with tax-free dollars through my medical savings account.)

Your solution might be slightly more fun, tho... ;)

He is in California. :eyes:

JRA
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Brad got to experience this predicament first-hand with me when we went to a record store this evening!