Falling Off the Edge of the World
Follow the Tears
Die Young
Heaven & Hell

Country Girl (first verse)
Neon Knights

wavelength
08-16-2009, 09:47 AM
this was a pretty awesome show, thought the setlist was a bit short.
one thing that struck me though was how few people were there.
so many empty seats --it was unbelievable!
never seen it that empty before!
red rocks amphitheater seats about 9500 people; i think it was only about 1/3 full last night. nearly the entire GA section (the entire back half of the amphitheater) was empty.
there were a number of other shows in denver earlier this week (Judas Priest, Staind, etc)...but it's still hard for me to believe that this show didn't sell more tickets.
the economy?
weak opener in coheed & cambria??

Indestructible
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
this was a pretty awesome show, thought the setlist was a bit short.
one thing that struck me though was how few people were there.
so many empty seats --it was unbelievable!
never seen it that empty before!
red rocks amphitheater seats about 9500 people; i think it was only about 1/3 full last night. nearly the entire GA section (the entire back half of the amphitheater) was empty.
there were a number of other shows in denver earlier this week (Judas Priest, Staind, etc)...but it's still hard for me to believe that this show didn't sell more tickets.
the economy?

Its sabbath i wouldnt think they would have many empty seats.

andrew_metalhead
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Empty seats? thats weird. It was full here for the LA show. Greek Theatre seats close to 10,000 too.

Sanitarium78
08-16-2009, 01:55 PM
There's been some talk of this on the Sabbath message boards. There are venue's in the US that aren't selling too well. I think it's becasue HNH has toured 2 summers in a row before this and people have already seen them and don't really care to now. Not too many acts tour North America three summers in a row. Also the short and limitted set plays into it with the exception of the 3 new songs(they need to play a few more off TDYK if you ask me) the set is the same. I know they wanna make room for the new songs but dropping songs like the all mighty Computer God and Sign Of The Southern Cross are a big NO in my book. I know with Sab/HNH their shows are always about the quality of what they play not the quanity but believe it or not their are a decent ammount of fans who aren't seeing them this tour just becasue the set is rather short and limitted song wise. When the dedicated fans are turned off by that and won't attend shows the band really needs to change something up. Plus their is no promotion at all for the album anywhere and that really isn't the bands fault but they probably shouldn't have signed with Rhino records to release TDYK.

TonyD
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
The bay area show was moved from the San Jose State event center arena to the Warfield in SF about a month before the show. They are about an hour apart.
According to Wikipedia, the event center has 5,000 seats and the Warfield holds 2,300. Not exactly a good sign.

Also
Empty seats? thats weird. It was full here for the LA show. Greek Theatre seats close to 10,000 too.

5,870 seated / 5,900 general admission.

ijwthstd
08-16-2009, 03:30 PM
The Greek had sections tarped over with camoflauge and potted plants to blend in with the natural scenery. Before the Pretenders show I might go to the army surplus store, wrap myself up in a sheet and just roll in off the hill.

The current numbers are about what the Dehumanizer tour was doing so they had a pretty good the last few years. Playing all these places right after Priest (who offered a unique show) when last year it was on the same ticket can't really help either.

IrritatedTrout
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I know the GA pit tickets for the Merriweather in Baltimore aren't sold out yet and it's a pretty small pit. Judas Priest is the same story though, having GA still available makes me think attendance will be abysmal but maybe there are a lot of old geezers who decided to buy seats in the pavilion instead.:D Either way, a week from now I'll be on the rail and I'll personally make sure, despite ticket sales, that the Sabbs know there is still some love for them in this area.

PowerMaiden
08-16-2009, 07:03 PM
don't get me wrong, these guys are all metal icons, but no way in hell I would go see 'em with such a short set, it's a joke really, it's even a shitty set considering that SOTSC is dropped from previous shows they did, plus they are even able to put a drum solo in there : ridiculous, that's why people are not going if you ask me...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
don't get me wrong, these guys are all metal icons, but no way in hell I would go see 'em with such a short set, it's a joke really, it's even a shitty set considering that SOTSC is dropped from previous shows they did, plus they are even able to put a drum solo in there : ridiculous, that's why people are not going if you ask me...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

If they were playing my town I would go just to hear the new stuff but i'm not traveling anywhere to see it. It's just too short. I saw them in 07 and it was fantastic but last year they came here(without Priest BTW) and i passed because they dropped Computer God and Southern Cross and just added Time Machine in it's place. I have no problem with the song I just felt I was getting less and I passed. It's Iommi's call with the set though. I know if Dio had a say the set would be more adventurous. Dio always plays the standard stuff solo but he always busts out some rare stuff from his solo career and even Rainbow stuff. Dio's last solo tour he was doing about 18 songs I think so I know that the short set isn't his fault.

Braun -Yaur
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I WAS AT THE SHOW AT RED ROCKS AND THEY SOUNDED GREAT. DIO IS AN UNBELIEVEABLE SINGER. THE SETLIST IS SHORT BUT THEY STILL PLAYED THE STANDARD FOR MOST BANDS 1 1/2 HOURS. (EVERYBODY BUT RUSH, EAGLES, SATRIANI AND PAUL MCCARTNEY) THEY CHANGED A FEW SONGS IN THE SET FROM THE PREVIOUS TOURS WHICH IS GOOD. I SAW PRIEST A COUPLE OF NIGHTS EARLIER WHERE WHITESNAKE ONLY PLAYED 4 SONGS DUE TO COVERDALES THROAT. PREIST ONLY PLAYED 1 1/2 HOURS. THEY SHOULD HAVE PLAYED AN EXTRA 30 MINUTES FOR THE FANS BUT THEY STUCK TO THEIR SETLIST!

tenchimyo
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM

I Think it's an odd pairing (classic Metal, slower, doomy, DIO VS progressive, sometimes all over the place wit an acquired taste for Claudio's singing), but I don't think C&C would be a weak opener at all.

Sanitarium78 and PowerMaiden both make some pretty good points about this touring, output and the like tho.

I personally am waiting closer to the event for tickets, and it certainly seems like Columbia, MD's Merriweather tix will be easy to get.

andrew_metalhead
08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Coheed and Cambria fucking suck. enough said.

rjturtle9
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM

;):horns:

IrritatedTrout
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM

;):horns:

;)

TonyD
08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I WAS AT THE SHOW AT RED ROCKS AND THEY SOUNDED GREAT. DIO IS AN UNBELIEVEABLE SINGER. THE SETLIST IS SHORT BUT THEY STILL PLAYED THE STANDARD FOR MOST BANDS 1 1/2 HOURS. (EVERYBODY BUT RUSH, EAGLES, SATRIANI AND PAUL MCCARTNEY) THEY CHANGED A FEW SONGS IN THE SET FROM THE PREVIOUS TOURS WHICH IS GOOD. I SAW PRIEST A COUPLE OF NIGHTS EARLIER WHERE WHITESNAKE ONLY PLAYED 4 SONGS DUE TO COVERDALES THROAT. PREIST ONLY PLAYED 1 1/2 HOURS. THEY SHOULD HAVE PLAYED AN EXTRA 30 MINUTES FOR THE FANS BUT THEY STUCK TO THEIR SETLIST!

RIVETING TALE, CHAP

Sanitarium78
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Hey bro, there's a key on you pad that says "Caps Lock" make sure that's off next time you post unless for whatever reason you're trying to be forcefull with your point. I know that with Sabbath 90 mins has always been the standard set time. If you cut out the needless drum solo and the pointless 10 minute jam in the middle of HNH then you can get 3 more songs that's what my complaints are really about. Plus this maybe the last time this lineup plays together so why not go all out and play longer because they may not get the opportunity to play these songs together ever again.

Also, 90 minutes wasn't always the standard for live shows. I'm 31 and I remember when i first started going to shows in the early 90's it was standard for a rock or metal band to give you at least something close to the 2 hour range. I don't know why in recent years 90 mins or less has become the standard for a headline act but it's giving the fans less of a show and charging them more money for it and it sucks because fans deserve more when they go to see someone who's got the material to play longer and don't do it.

TonyD
08-17-2009, 02:06 PM
It may be because of the promoter paradigm shift of
"Let's get a couple bands that fans of the headliner would like"
to
"LETS GET A BUNCH OF BANDS, DIVERSIFY SO THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE."
ie. a bunch of shit I don't want to see, cut all of the sets shorter to fit everything.

andrew_metalhead
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
to
ie. a bunch of shit I don't want to see, cut all of the sets shorter to fit everything.

absolutely. I saw a bunch of people around me at the LA show who were enjoying C&C and didn't even move during the Heaven And Hell set. Thats what happens when they put two bands totally different in genre as well as seniority, on the same bill.

Sanitarium78
08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
to

That does make sense. The festival mentality seems to have taken over everywhere now and I'm not sure it's good for the bands or not. Look at DevilDrivers tour there's 5 hours of bands who suck before DD comes out and then they only get only a fuckin hour to play? I'm not huge on DD but I do like them and they deserve more time as a headliner.

C&C is deffinately a strange opener for HNH. Musically C&C is allright but the singer has one of the most annoying voices i've ever heard. I couldn't believe it when I looked up C&C and found out they have 2 gold records in the U.S. and TDYK has only sold 70,000 copies what the fuck is going on?

andrew_metalhead
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
when I looked up C&C and found out they have 2 gold records in the U.S.

:eek:

Sanitarium78
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM
:eek:

That was my reaction I know they've toured with Slipknot and a couple other big bands but I was just shocked by that. I've never heard em on the radio or seen a video played from them so it's a mystery to me as to how this actually occured.

Braun -Yaur
08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey bro, there's a key on you pad that says "Caps Lock" make sure that's off next time you post unless for whatever reason you're trying to be forcefull with your point. I know that with Sabbath 90 mins has always been the standard set time. If you cut out the needless drum solo and the pointless 10 minute jam in the middle of HNH then you can get 3 more songs that's what my complaints are really about. Plus this maybe the last time this lineup plays together so why not go all out and play longer because they may not get the opportunity to play these songs together ever again.

Also, 90 minutes wasn't always the standard for live shows. I'm 31 and I remember when i first started going to shows in the early 90's it was standard for a rock or metal band to give you at least something close to the 2 hour range. I don't know why in recent years 90 mins or less has become the standard for a headline act but it's giving the fans less of a show and charging them more money for it and it sucks because fans deserve more when they go to see someone who's got the material to play longer and don't do it.

I spaced that the caps lock was on. I agree I have been going to concerts about the same amount of time and the shows are getting shorter and a lot more expensive. It sucks but we still buy tickets and go to these shows to rock out. Thankful for Rush and Dream Theatre for extended sets. C n C are lot like a B rated version of Dream Theatre.

MetalJ
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Lots of good points here but does anybody think another reason could be cuz they're going under the moniker "Heaven & Hell" and not Black Sabbath? Or Black Sabbath featuring Ronnie James Dio? They haven't played Denver since '07 and they could still only fill maybe half of Red Rocks (9,500 capacity). Short set for sure but they put on a great show!

Sanitarium78
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Lots of good points here but does anybody think another reason could be cuz they're going under the moniker "Heaven & Hell" and not Black Sabbath? Or Black Sabbath featuring Ronnie James Dio? They haven't played Denver since '07 and they could still only fill maybe half of Red Rocks (9,500 capacity). Short set for sure but they put on a great show!

Going under Black Sabbath would have deffinately helped there are still people i'm sure who don't even know who HNH really is. If they went under the Sabbath name they would be obligated to play at least 4 or 5 Ozzy era songs and that's not what they point of it was. They wanted to give the Dio era the respect it truely deserves by only focusing on that material.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-18-2009, 08:38 AM
C n C are lot like a B rated version of Dream Theatre.

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

...:nonono:

converge241
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
The opening act(s) arent going to matter in the big picture for drawing. Usually the exception is the all day shows or big package tours.

Heaven and Hell have hit most markets 3-4 times in the past couple years, thats likely why its drawing less.

causeofdeath
08-23-2009, 07:54 AM
That was my reaction I know they've toured with Slipknot and a couple other big bands but I was just shocked by that. I've never heard em on the radio or seen a video played from them so it's a mystery to me as to how this actually occured.

they used to be on the radio, and on MTV a lot `when their second and 3rd albums came out.

Sanitarium78
08-23-2009, 10:44 AM
they used to be on the radio, and on MTV a lot `when their second and 3rd albums came out.

Ok I had no idea who they were til I saw they were opening for Slipknot earlier this year and even then I thought it was two separate bands because of the way the name is.

mankvill
08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
You guys have seriously never heard of Coheed and Cambria before? :eyes:

Sanitarium78
08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
You guys have seriously never heard of Coheed and Cambria before? :eyes:

There's a bunch of bands out there and we all listen to a lot of different ones. Sometimes people don't always hear about a band right away. It takes time for bands to make their name. Hell, there's people out there right now who are just discovering who Metallica is for the first time. That's just how it goes in the music world. I never heard of them before they toured with Slipknot it's not a big deal we all find out about bands at different times no matter if they've been around for 30 years or for only a few months.