PDA

View Full Version : What do some people find wrong with song lyrics

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Ive seen some posts and some say that the lyrics dont matter. to me everything in the songs that i like matter music,lyrics ect.

DethMaiden
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
In metal at least, lyrics can be dumber than shit and a song can still be awesome. Hell, lyrics can even be dumber than shit and still really cool lyrics - no one can honestly tell me that "GRANDMAAAAAAA! WELCOME HOOOOOOME!" is a good lyric, but no one's gonna argue that the King should have been singing about animal rights or some shit either. I think that's all that people mean. Lyrics are a nice bonus in metal, but rarely what makes the song great.

rjturtle9
08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
i for one love lyrics and think that lyrics should play a huge role in the writing process. but many songs are still good with shitty lyrics

Natrlhi
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Much of the music I like the most has no lyrics at all, and it is as hard-hitting as anything in metal.

Just my :2cents:

Twenty-two excellent cases in point:
Pelican
God Is an Astronaut
This Will Destroy You
Explosions in the Sky
Caspian
Red Sparowes
Mono
If These Trees Could Talk
Gifts From Enola
Battles
Romance of Young Tigers
Gathiens
Mogwai
North (except last year's release, which has vocals)
Disappearer
Grails
Dub Trio
Irepress
Karma to Burn
Stinking Lizaveta
5ive (not the boy band) ...these guys absolutely fucking CRUSH - and there's only TWO of them

...and if you want fucking EPIC, you gotta try on some Russian Circles... :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Div
08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
the criticism comes when people start calling the "dumb as shit" lyrics well written and hyping it up to be more than it is, and bad lyrics usually also come under fire when the song lacks good musical quality.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Depends on how dumb the lyrics are. Nobody's expecting Shakespeare when it comes to metal, but if the lyrics are eye-rollingly bad it can ruin a song for me.

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Depends on how dumb the lyrics are. Nobody's expecting Shakespeare when it comes to metal, but if the lyrics are eye-rollingly bad it can ruin a song for me.

Yeah, this. I never go into something expecting GREAT lyrics, but occasionally if lyrics are exceptionally bad it can knock a good number of points off of a band for me.
As I've said before, I consider great lyrics to be one of the determining factors between a good and great band. Bands who can pen great lyrics which you can really latch on to and relate to will always hold a place nearer to your heart than those that don't. Well, at least that's been my experience, even though my favorite band is more of the exception than the rule.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
In metal at least, lyrics can be dumber than shit and a song can still be awesome. Hell, lyrics can even be dumber than shit and still really cool lyrics - no one can honestly tell me that "GRANDMAAAAAAA! WELCOME HOOOOOOME!" is a good lyric, but no one's gonna argue that the King should have been singing about animal rights or some shit either. I think that's all that people mean. Lyrics are a nice bonus in metal, but rarely what makes the song great.

This.

ChildrenofSodom
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I think for some groups, the lyrics are just as part of the music. The words and rhymes add to the 'sound' and rhythm of the song, musically.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 02:18 PM

king always has great lyrics.

i dont how people listen to maiden.sabbath,aic other bands like that and say that lyrics dont matter

DethMaiden
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM

i dont how people listen to maiden.sabbath,aic other bands like that and say that lyrics dont matter

King has terrible lyrics that are okay because they're in the context of a story.

Maiden wrote most of their classic songs about other peoples' books, movies, and poems. This isn't good. Sabbath, whatever, Bill Ward was a good lyricist, but what you're not seeing is it wasn't singing about Satan and war that made metal - it was RIFFS. Pure, heavy, almighty RIFFS. And that's what set Sabbath apart. Not lyrics, but RIFFS.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
King has terrible lyrics that are okay because they're in the context of a story.

Maiden wrote most of their classic songs about other peoples' books, movies, and poems. This isn't good. Sabbath, whatever, Bill Ward was a good lyricist, but what you're not seeing is it wasn't singing about Satan and war that made metal - it was RIFFS. Pure, heavy, almighty RIFFS. And that's what set Sabbath apart. Not lyrics, but RIFFS.

I agree on the sabbath riffs. but i think lyrics play a big part of a song. i wouldnt be able to sit there and listen to an all instrumental album i need the vocals.

Div
08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
what about death metal and other genres where you cant make out what the fuck theyre singing about unless youre reading the lyrics? i think its still enjoyable without knowing what the lyrics are, sometimes i just tune out the message in the lyrics and hear them as a melody like an instrument.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree on the sabbath riffs. but i think lyrics play a big part of a song. i wouldnt be able to sit there and listen to an all instrumental album i need the vocals.

That's pretty ignorant. The Call Of Ktulu, To Live Is To Die, Into The Lungs Of Hell, not to mention great metal artists' solo projects. Jonh 5, Jeff Loomis, Karl Sanders. Fantastic music, no lyrics whatsoever. Great music does not NEED lyrics, they are just very nice chunks. And as said above, mostly the lyrics serve as the way they are being delivered, the melody and the vocal line, not the words themselves, at least to me. Not to say that the content isn't cool to have, it very cool, but in the grand scope of things it's not that necessary.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
That's pretty ignorant. The Call Of Ktulu, To Live Is To Die, Into The Lungs Of Hell, not to mention great metal artists' solo projects. Jonh 5, Jeff Loomis, Karl Sanders. Fantastic music, no lyrics whatsoever. Great music does not NEED lyrics, they are just very nice chunks. And as said above, mostly the lyrics serve as the way they are being delivered, the melody and the vocal line, not the words themselves, at least to me. Not to say that the content isn't cool to have, it very cool, but in the grand scope of things it's not that necessary.

i can listen to

orion
la villia strangiato
kutulu
any dream theater metallica and rush instrumental jeff loomis instrumentals. i just dont know if i could listen to a full album of all instrumental.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
You have to think lyrics matter a little bit people on here listen to alice in chains you cant listen to aic and tell me lyrics dont matter when they are one of the biggest parts to that band.

ChildrenofSodom
08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
I think its also fun to sing along with a metal song, just as its fun to airdrum or airguitar.

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
You have to think lyrics matter a little bit people on here listen to alice in chains you cant listen to aic and tell me lyrics dont matter when they are one of the biggest parts to that band.

Actually I can. The first time I heard "Them Bones", "Dirt", "We Die Young", etc., I didn't know the lyrics at all, yet the music hooked me and the WAY he sang the lyrics got me interested. Sure he wrote cool stuff and all, but lyrics are nowhere near the main picture of Alice In Chains. Cantrell's riffs and the co-vocals done by Cantrell and Staley (now DuVall) are the main picture of AIC. ANd how about you try listening to an instrumental album then if you haven't, open your mind a bit.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
To me the lyrics is a big part with aic. layne and cantrell wrote some of the darkest emotional lyrics

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
King has terrible lyrics .

You have to listen to voodoo and the puppet master

ravenheart
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Because half of Maiden's lyrics and over half of Sabbath's lyrics are bullshit?

ravenheart
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
To me the lyrics is a big part with aic. layne and cantrell wrote some of the darkest emotional lyrics

So did you reserve judgement on AIC until you knew what the lyrics were?

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 04:49 PM
So did you reserve judgement on AIC until you knew what the lyrics were?

They do have dark and emontional lyrics you cant deny that if you have heard aic songs.

DethMaiden
08-12-2009, 05:53 PM
This thread and every point you have made in it is completely asinine. Please come back when you're a big kid.

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
This thread and every point you have made in it is completely asinine. Please come back when you're a big kid.

:lol:

So, how long until JRA makes a thread telling us to stop? :D

SomewhereInTime72
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
im a big kid im almost 17 and i dont know what asinine means

just felt like quoting this lol

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

That is amazing!

Div
08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
noones saying lyrics are moot, but we just feel that you shouldnt take metal lyrics too seriously.

actually... theres very few songs in general whos lyrics you should take seriously.

rjturtle9
08-12-2009, 09:07 PM

hey man that was a low blow

SomewhereInTime72
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Lyrics only matter to me when they're good. Lyrics really have to be horrible beyond horrible to count against a song imo.

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM

It was a bit blunt, but I gotta admit he kinda has/had it coming.

DethMaiden
08-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Yeah, maybe.

Never mind.

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
They do have dark and emontional lyrics you cant deny that if you have heard aic songs.

Yeah, totally. Some of AICs lyrics are superb. But what you appear to be saying is you don't consider a band good without good lyrics. So does that mean you reserve judgement on all the bands you hear for the first time until you've worked out what the lyrics are and decided if they're good or not?

I just heard a band called The Black League last night for the first time. I think they're awesome, but I listened to like four songs once each, no idea what their lyrics are yet! Still think the band is good.

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 12:18 AM

It means you have nine assholes.

TonyD
08-13-2009, 12:32 AM

High five

es156
08-13-2009, 04:17 AM

:LOLFC:

Oh man, that was funny.

Indestructible
08-13-2009, 06:02 AM
noones saying lyrics are moot, but we just feel that you shouldnt take metal lyrics too seriously.

actually... theres very few songs in general whos lyrics you should take seriously.

Alot of metal bands have serious lyrics. its one of the few genres left that does.

Div
08-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Alot of metal bands have serious lyrics. its one of the few genres left that does.

well maybe ive been listening to different stuff. what have you heard that you think are good lyrics?

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM

All serious genres (i.e. not pop or R&B) still have just as much serious lyrical content as metal. Blues, country, jazz, folk. In fact, probably more so.

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Country music and hip-hop, in theory, are based HEAVILY on the lyrics. Metal, not so much.

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Country music and hip-hop, in theory, are based HEAVILY on the lyrics. Metal, not so much.

Yeah, but hip-hop lyrics are terrible.

DethMaiden
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Now, I don't like hip hop music very much at all, but there's definitely a group of American artists whose lyrics are very well crafted and very political. What's on the radio has terrible lyrics, but not these cats.

That said, I still would rarely choose to listen to them because lyrics aren't what matter to me. I could read lyrics booklets if I just wanted to be impressed by words. I prefer to enjoy the frequencies exiting my speakers.

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 09:33 AM

For the most part, radio hip-hop has terrible lyrics. But there are tons of rappers out there who put out quality, and rap about important things. And like I said earlier, the words that they choose to use not only help convey their message, but the sounds, syllables, and rhymes add 'music' to the song.

Maiden33
08-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Country music, in theory, is based HEAVILY on the lyrics.

Which is why there are so many amazing lyrics in country songs these days. ;)

Seriously, classic mid '90s country will always hold a small place in my heart because it was the music I grew up on and a select few of the artists I can and will still listen to today, but the entire genre is in an absolutely terrible place these days.

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Which is why there are so many amazing lyrics in country songs these days. ;)

Seriously, classic mid '90s country will always hold a small place in my heart because it was the music I grew up on and a select few of the artists I can and will still listen to today, but the entire genre is in an absolutely terrible place these days.

I'm not arguing whether country music has good lyrics, but for many people the lyrics are what make the genre. They want to sing along to it. I'm sure trucks and lost lovers make for good lyrics to some other backwoods bumpkin, even if I can't relate. I think the argument here is that lyrics, whether good or bad, aren't as important to the song as the music is.

Indestructible
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
well maybe ive been listening to different stuff. what have you heard that you think are good lyrics?

rush
sabbath
aic(very serious dark personel emotional lyrics and music ect.)
dream theater
nevermore
king diamond

Maiden33
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
dream theater

Ehem....

Let me introduce my brother
A bearded gentleman
Historian
Sucking on his pipe
Distinguished accent
You're making me uptight
No accident

SomewhereInTime72
08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Ehem....

:lol: :lol: :D

Div
08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
rush
sabbath
aic(very serious dark personel emotional lyrics and music ect.)
dream theater
nevermore
king diamond

maybe a few songs, but who can honestly make sense of "symptom of the universe" or "lucy forever"? theyre cool concepts, but have little basis in reality.

Indestructible
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I like lyrics and i think they are important in music. until i started here i didnt realized people cared so little about lyrics in metal when they are one of the biggest parts

SerpentineVIVIVI
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I like lyrics and i think they are important in music. until i started here i didnt realized people cared so little about lyrics in metal when they are one of the biggest parts

In your opinion.

(which blows)

Indestructible
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
In your opinion.

(which blows)

how do you listen to metal but find most of the lyrics stupid.

Maiden33
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
This is becoming absolutely hilarious, and yet sad at the same time.

DethMaiden
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't even hate your opinions about music that much, dude. Your grammar, usage, verb conjugation and spelling are just so far below what I'd expect from a ten year old that I can't take you seriously.

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM

This is wrong. We all care about lyrics, we can just see that most metal lyrics are awful.

ravenheart
08-13-2009, 12:53 PM
how do you listen to metal but find most of the lyrics stupid.

Because most of them ARE stupid.

SomewhereInTime72
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Good logic: I like it when lyrics are really good, but if they're not, whatever - a good song can still be good with lame lyrics.

Bad logic: I like this song, therefore it has good lyrics.

JRA
08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I think that David Lee Roth and Phil Anselmo wrote intriguing and thought provoking lyrics, but when pressed for examples, I can't think of any under pressure. :eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I think that David Lee Roth and Phil Anselmo wrote intriguing and thought provoking lyrics, but when pressed for examples, I can't think of any under pressure. :eyes:

re

spect

walk

Wizzbang11
08-13-2009, 05:45 PM
re

spect

walk

"Walk on home boy" is amazing as well.

I don't feel like quoting stuff, but I completely disagree with whoever said King is a bad lyricist. Some of his lyrics are amazing. I think they are actually better than the stories, 80% are completely worthless, poorly composed horror.
I think it's funny though that indestructible defended him with Voodoo and Puppet Master, which are both mediocre at best musically and lyrically.
At least he didn't say Give Me Your Soul, because that is the most shameful album he has made. The lyrics are pretty painful too...
"Blackcat Magic is down by the lake, chasing butterflies that can't get away!"
Little footsteps are moooving in the hall..." (and the repetition of "little footsteps" in the rest of the song, its beyond annoying)

JRA
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
re

spect

walk

:lol: :finger:

DethMaiden
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
"Walk on home boy" is amazing as well.

I don't feel like quoting stuff, but I completely disagree with whoever said King is a bad lyricist. Some of his lyrics are amazing. I think they are actually better than the stories, 80% are completely worthless, poorly composed horror.
I think it's funny though that indestructible defended him with Voodoo and Puppet Master, which are both mediocre at best musically and lyrically.
At least he didn't say Give Me Your Soul, because that is the most shameful album he has made. The lyrics are pretty painful too...
"Blackcat Magic is down by the lake, chasing butterflies that can't get away!"
Little footsteps are moooving in the hall..." (and the repetition of "little footsteps" in the rest of the song, its beyond annoying)

I said he was a bad lyricist, and I'm not wrong. Childish satanism with Mercyful Fate and horrible, story-reliant horror solo. Nothing to write home about. That said, in keeping with the message of the thread, I still fucking love Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. And again, to reiterate a point I made earlier, bad lyrics can still be COOL lyrics. "All hail Satan, yes hail Satan" in "Black Funeral" is fucking stupid, but I still love singing it at the top of my lungs.

Wizzbang11
08-13-2009, 06:01 PM

Alright, this isn't real.
He's a troll, or just lying about everything.
But I vote troll.

That is just too stupid.

DethMaiden
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Alright, this isn't real.
He's a troll, or just lying about everything.
But I vote troll.

That is just too stupid.

But the guise is too elaborate. This creation even has embarrassingly ungrammatical social networking pages!

Wizzbang11
08-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I said he was a bad lyricist, and I'm not wrong. Childish satanism with Mercyful Fate and horrible, story-reliant horror solo. Nothing to write home about. That said, in keeping with the message of the thread, I still fucking love Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. And again, to reiterate a point I made earlier, bad lyrics can still be COOL lyrics. "All hail Satan, yes hail Satan" in "Black Funeral" is fucking stupid, but I still love singing it at the top of my lungs.

I'm not denying he has had some terrible lyrical ideas, but some MF lyrics are great. And same with KD lyrics. I'm not arguing that bands can have shitty lyrics and be amazing, I love Toxic Holocaust and Joel is a horrendous lyricist.
But King can write lyrics.

Wizzbang11
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
But the guise is too elaborate. This creation even has embarrassingly ungrammatical social networking pages!

Oh my god. I didn't realize that.
I'm just, well, a little stunned.

DethMaiden
08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not denying he has had some terrible lyrical ideas, but some MF lyrics are great. And same with KD lyrics. I'm not arguing that bands can have shitty lyrics and be amazing, I love Toxic Holocaust and Joel is a horrendous lyricist.
But King can write lyrics.

To each his own. I think they're crap. Doesn't stop me from wanting to see King more than damn near any live act that I haven't seen yet.

Div
08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
hey hey, i agree that voodoo is shit but puppet master is one of his better ones!

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I think silly lyrics makes metal fun. I definitely don't sit around and wax philosophical over metal lyrics, but I think its fun to scream along to such classics as:

"Feeling the march of the fury unleashed
Impaling the soldiers of God
Smell of sulphur hot on the wind
Left by the goatriders horde."

"Shiny diamonds
Like the eyes of a cat in the black and blue
Something is coming for you... Look out!
Race for the morning
You can hide in the sun 'till you see the light
Oh, we will pray it's all right ."

"Excited - when you go to see a show
Your feelings arise
Committed - You became a fan forever
Knowing the words you sing all the tunes
Faster beats are pounding
Glowing tubes - high sounding
Metal is forever
In every single matter
Metal is forever
Nations come together "

Now its time for
Fire! Battle! In metal!
I live for the metal
Metal, screaming in Lightning
I cry for the metal and die for the metal

And I passed on posting any Manowar lyrics. Truth be told, metal lyrics are lame as hell, some are okay, most are great to sing along to and get the blood pumping, but I don't think we're gonna see any etched into the base of a statue and put in a harbor.

Div
08-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't think we're gonna see any etched into the base of a statue and put in a harbor.

your first task as congressman...

Wizzbang11
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
"Having a blast
On the edge
Every fuckin night
Have sex and kill again,
It makes me feel alright
Drink it up, take it down
Hungry for my fix
Speeding metal till your death
Kill more, 666
Party hard
Blood and hell
A loss of fuckin self
Desecrate
Fuck it up
Destroy your fuckin God
Burning Hell
Satanic Spell
The Devil’s mark on me
Drink the blood
From the slut
Another Casualty

Here they come
Say goodbye
A lethal metal death
Piercing your fuckin cunt
With a crucifix

Party hard
Blood and hell
A loss of fuckin self
Desecrate
Fuck it up
Destroy your fuckin God
Burning Hell
Satanic Spell
The Devil’s mark on me
Drink the blood
From the slut
Another Casualty

Here they come
Say goodbye
A lethal metal death
With a crucifix

Here they come
Say goodbye
A lethal metal death
With a crucifix

Go!

Having a blast
On the edge
Every fuckin night
Have sex and kill again,
It makes me feel alright
Drink it up, take it down
Hungry for my fix
Speeding metal till your death
Kill more, 666
Party hard
Blood and hell
A loss of fuckin self
Desecrate
Fuck it up
Destroy your fuckin God
Burning Hell
Satanic Spell
The Devil’s mark on me
Drink the blood
From the slut
Another Casualty

Here they come
Say goodbye
A lethal metal death
With a crucifix

Here they come
Say goodbye
A lethal metal death
With a crucifix"

Div
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I went down into my basement
confused and depressed
put Black Sabbath on
razor blade in hand
a Wilkinson I think
ten slashes on each arm
my only wrongdoing
was being born human
and following my instincts
I never was happy
I never was sane
so I shall be extinct
the growing pool of crimson
at last I am pure
witness my sanguineous penance
I don`t need anyone
my soul`s been set free
death is total independence

Maiden33
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm on my last beer
And the party has just begun
Our only chance to have some fun
Is to make the perfect beerrun
I got my boys with me
And we're gonna make it
Feel free to join us
If you think you can take it

We're out of beer! NO!
Let's make a beerrun! YEAH!!!
We gotta save the party!
Tonight!!

Don't need a map
Don't need directions
We've been here before
We got connections
Sweet little sister
Get outta my way!
Willy's got the truck running
Ain't got time to pay

We're out of beer! NO!
Let's make a beerrun! YEAH!!!
We gotta save the party!
Tonight!!

:light:
True poetry.

SomewhereInTime72
08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
:light:
True poetry.

HAHAHA, that is awesome.

edit: seriously i got this song saved for beer runs now

mankvill
08-13-2009, 08:22 PM

:cool:

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
your first task as congressman...

haha...which song would you like to use to greet visitors to our great country?

"Now's the time we all must stand together
So raise your hands show them we are strong
Side by side the fight goes on forever
Marching to the battle with this song"

Div
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
yea, and a statue of joey demaio posed like in this picture, holding a bass guitar

http://kacatko.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/manowar.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
08-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I should go to a town hall with a giant sign of that picture, and shout this idea at my congressman. haha...they'll be like "not another nut.....WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"