PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 All Time Metal Songs

markman
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Not in any order, but these are my all time favs.....I am glad to say that I have heard all of them live.......:rocker:

1. Saxon - Dallas 1 PM
2. Metallica - Creeping Death
3. Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
4. Rainbow - Stargazer
5. Slayer - South of Heaven
6. Iron Maiden - Number of The Beast
7. Megadeth - Wake up Dead
8. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
9. Ozzy - Over The Mountain
10. AC/DC - Down Payment Blues

TonyD
08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Fuck lists, man.:stoned:

Maiden33
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
1. Saxon - Dallas 1 PM

I've found that there is an absolutely insane amount of support for this song from Saxon's fanbase. Just out of curiosity, did you experience JFK's assassination in your lifetime?

Div
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Fuck lists, man.:stoned: ↑

IrritatedTrout
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
It's too hard for me to decide on my top 10 but either Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Hallowed Be Thy Name would probably be my number 1.

Maiden33
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
There is no way I can actually get this down to an orderly 10, but after giving this some thought, I have gathered a solid list of songs I all consider worthy of a ton of praise. They aren't in any real order and generally grouped by artist.

Iron Maiden - Revelations
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time
Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers
Savatage - Believe
Savatage - Edge of Thorns
Savatage - Gutter Ballet
Savatage - When the Crowds are Gone
Edguy - The Piper Never Dies
Evergrey - The Masterplan
Evergrey - Solitude Within
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence
Stratovarius - Visions
Stratovarius - Infinity
Queensryche - Eyes of a Stranger
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 1
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater - learning to live
Symphony X - The Accolade
Symphony X - Communion and the Oracle
Symphony X - Paradise lost
Saxon - Crusader
Saxon - lionheart
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath - Die Young
Black Sabbath - The Headless Cross
Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers
Gary Moore - Out in the Fields
Bruce Dickinson - Jerusalem
Bruce Dickinson - The Darkside of Aquarius
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Whitesnake - Crying in the Rain
Royal Hunt - Message to God
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland
Gamma Ray - Armageddon
Helloween - Victim of Fate
Iced Earth - Gettysburg
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Riot - Bloodstreets
Riot - Holy land
Primal Fear - Demons and Angels
WASP - The Great Misconceptions of Me
Rainbow - Kill the King

Holy shit, this wound up being a huge list. And I'm sure I'm still missing stuff that should really be here.

IrritatedTrout
08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Iced Earth - Gettysburg

:horns:

Amazing lyrics IMO.

DethMaiden
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Hallowed Be Thy Name, and others. Impossible to do this list.

SomewhereInTime72
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
This is too hard. :(

zgodt
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
no particular order...

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
War Pigs - Black Sabbath
Method to Your Madness - Metal Church
Naked Burn - Mastodon
Bad Omen - Megadeth
Deliverance - Opeth
Jacob's Ladder - Rush
Dyer's Eve - Metallica
Diary of a Madman - Ozzy
Trial by Fire - Testament

JRA
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Yea, no order works best

Slayer: Angel of Death
Megadeth: Tornado of Souls
Iron Maiden: Run To The Hills
Black Sabbath: Iron Man
Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train
Metallica: Creeping Death
Mastodon: Blood & Thunder
Children Of Bodom: Downfall
Overkill: Elimination
Judas Priest: Exciter

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Iron Maiden: Run To The Hills
Black Sabbath: Iron Man
Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train

Woah, did my local rock radio station assemble this list? ;)

TonyD
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Sometimes I forget that they play these because, before they were played on the radio every hour, everyone liked them.

Naked Burn - Mastodon

wat

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I forget that they play these because, before they were played on the radio every hour, everyone liked them.

My dislike of all 3 songs has pretty much nothing to do with their constant rotation on any form of classic rock/metal media. I'm not particularly an Ozzy or Ozzy-Sabbath fan to begin with, and I consider Run to the Hills to be a pretty awful song by the standards of my favorite band. In a song-for-song ranking of every Maiden studio album song (about 130 total), Run to the Hills would barely make my top 100. I consider it easily among the worst songs in the "Golden Era" as a whole.

JRA
08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Blow me. I still love RTTH and Iron Man. And I picked Run over Hallowed to be "special."

markman
08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I've found that there is an absolutely insane amount of support for this song from Saxon's fanbase. Just out of curiosity, did you experience JFK's assassination in your lifetime?

No, happend just a few years before my time but the whole consipracy theory is interesting and not to mention that this is a true masterpiece of music that Saxon put together! Killer intro not to mention Biff's vocals really make this song stand out!:allan:

Natrlhi
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
This is too hard. :(
This.

Fuck lists, man.:stoned:
And this. :lol:

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
No, happend just a few years before my time but the whole consipracy theory is interesting and not to mention that this is a true masterpiece of music that Saxon put together! Killer intro not to mention Biff's vocals really make this song stand out!:allan:

Ah alright. Just wondering if there was some correlation between your experience with the event and your love of the song. I am a really big Saxon song but for some reason that song hasn't really done it for me. I mean, I like it, a lot. But I could never find it superior to Crusader, Power and the Glory, and some of their other songs. Nevertheless, it's good to see another big Saxon fan around these parts. :allan:

The_jman
08-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't know, I'll have to think on this.

markman
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Ah alright. Just wondering if there was some correlation between your experience with the event and your love of the song. I am a really big Saxon song but for some reason that song hasn't really done it for me. I mean, I like it, a lot. But I could never find it superior to Crusader, Power and the Glory, and some of their other songs. Nevertheless, it's good to see another big Saxon fan around these parts. :allan:

Yeah it really pisses me off that some don't respect the dues bands like Saxon has paid for Metal. I seen them a few months ago here in Houston and If there where 200 people at the gig that was alot! They kicked ass but they deserve more respect. I would love to see Maiden go out on tour with Saxon in support! That would be killer!! I would love to hear Power and the glory, This town rocks, Broken Heros, Rock The Nations, etc.....oh man I wish that would happen!!:blaze:

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah it really pisses me off that some don't respect the dues bands like Saxon has paid for Metal. I seen them a few months ago here in Houston and If there where 200 people at the gig that was alot! They kicked ass but they deserve more respect. I would love to see Maiden go out on tour with Saxon in support! That would be killer!! I would love to hear Power and the glory, This town rocks, Broken Heros, Rock The Nations, etc.....oh man I wish that would happen!!:blaze:

any saxon suggestions

markman
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
My dislike of all 3 songs has pretty much nothing to do with their constant rotation on any form of classic rock/metal media. I'm not particularly an Ozzy or Ozzy-Sabbath fan to begin with, and I consider Run to the Hills to be a pretty awful song by the standards of my favorite band. In a song-for-song ranking of every Maiden studio album song (about 130 total), Run to the Hills would barely make my top 100. I consider it easily among the worst songs in the "Golden Era" as a whole.

I agree with you, I really would like for Maiden to play songs like Flight of Icarus and Die with Your boots on like they did a few years back instead of the played out Run to the Hills. But hey, what would a Maiden show be like without them playing Number of the Beast and The Trooper so I can see why they keep playing Run to the Hills.

Indestructible
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree with you, I really would like for Maiden to play songs like Flight of Icarus and Die with Your boots on like they did a few years back instead of the played out Run to the Hills. But hey, what would a Maiden show be like without them playing Number of the Beast and The Trooper so I can see why they keep playing Run to the Hills.

if maiden stopped doing run to the hills i would understand. they are just so bored with it. everysong they do that isnt rtth they have alot of energy.

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 07:07 PM

I caught the NYC gig on 5/19 and it was amazing, one of the dozen best shows I've been to. I'm only just shy of 19, but I'd been waiting to see them for about 5 years, and it was just epic as hell to finally see that happen. BB King's was sold out, so whatever the max capacity is was how many people were there. My friend and I were front row, right in front of Paul Quinn.
I've said before that Maiden NEED to have Saxon along as support. Even though Saxon are as old of a band as Maiden are, they are in dire need of the exposure and respect they have always deserved.
They did Power and the Glory at the NYC show, it was one of the highlights for myself.

markman
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
any saxon suggestions

I am really into old Saxon from Motorcyle Man, Princess of the Night, Power & The Glory, This town Rocks, Redline, Warrior, The Eagle has landed, etc....Innocence is No Excuse & Rock The Nations are also good albums from them. Saxon came on the NWBHM along with the likes of Maiden & Priest so if you dig them you should love Saxon. :horns:

Maiden33
08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
any saxon suggestions

the "Heavy Metal Thunder" compilation covers almost all the essential classics from their first 6, "classic" albums, rerecorded in 2002. That's your best place to start for older Saxon.
As for the newer stuff (which is mostly all great as well), Lionheart is the best album, and honestly my favorite Saxon studio album of any era of their career.

markman
08-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I caught the NYC gig on 5/19 and it was amazing, one of the dozen best shows I've been to. I'm only just shy of 19, but I'd been waiting to see them for about 5 years, and it was just epic as hell to finally see that happen. BB King's was sold out, so whatever the max capacity is was how many people were there. My friend and I were front row, right in front of Paul Quinn.
I've said before that Maiden NEED to have Saxon along as support. Even though Saxon are as old of a band as Maiden are, they are in dire need of the exposure and respect they have always deserved.
They did Power and the Glory at the NYC show, it was one of the highlights for myself.

I checked out the vid's on Youtube and man that crowd looks wild! Houston was nothing like that! I was in the front row in front of Biff and man I rocked out the whole night! Maiden w/ Saxon & maybe even Motorhead opening would be a killer show with pure Metal being played one song after another!! I guess that should be on the Dream Tours forum huh???? LOL!:blaze:

Dextrimental
08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
1. Fucking Hostile - PanterA
2. Angel of Death - Slayer
3. Nomad - Iron Maiden
4. War Pigs - Black Sabbath
5. Pit of Zombies - Cannibal Corpse
6. Dr. Rock - Motorhead
7. Rock 'n' Roll - Led Zeppelin
8. Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy
9. As I Am - Dream Theater
10. Jump In The Fire - Metallica

PanterA and Slayer take the biscuit up top because they're my two favorite bands, I picked Nomad because Brave New World was my first Maiden album so it has a special place in my heart because of that. Also, my original draft of this list contained 25 bands and songs, these are just the bands iv been listening to most recently.

andrew_metalhead
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Here's my top 50.

http://metalassault.com/Opinions/metal50.php

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Dantes Inferno - Iced Earth
In The Presence of Enemies - Dream Theater
Hempispheres - Rush
...And Justice For All - Metallica
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore
Endgame - Megadeth
Diary of a Madman - Ozzy
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
The Poet and the Pendulum - Nightwish

:confused:
I understand it's your opinion but Endgame is the best Deth song of all time? And as for Nightwish uhhhhh.... no

mankvill
09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Napalm Death - You Suffer repeated ten times.

Maiden33
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM
:confused:
I understand it's your opinion but Endgame is the best Deth song of all time? And as for Nightwish uhhhhh.... no

What's wrong with Poet and the Pendulum being the best Nightwish song? I think it's the best song on Dark Passion Play - so for someone who doesn't really like Tarja (like myself), it's a reasonable pick.

Indestructible
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
And as for Nightwish uhhhhh.... no

The poet and the pendulum is awsome.

evildeadjedi
09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
This is impossible but, Sleep "Dopesmoker" and Iron Maiden "Hallowed Be Thy Name" would definitely be part of the list.

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Im not even familiar with the song I was commenting on the fact that it was a nightwish song.

illuminatus917
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Not top 10 material.

Indestructible
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
1. This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore
2. Dream Theater - The Glass Prison
3. Hemispheres - Rush
4. Dreaming Neon Black - Nevermore
5. Dante's Inferno - Iced Earth
6. ...And Justice For All - Metallica